• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create: 27 FEB ~ 05 MAR

neo2046

posted?
http://www.gpara.com/ranking/index.htm

01 PS2 Gundam Clamix U.C. - 157,000 / 157,000
02 NDS Seiken Densetsu CoM - 103,000 / 103,000
03 PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 (Samurai Warrior) - 98,000 / 425,000
04 NDS Braining Age 2 - 91,000 / 1,434,000
05 NDS Animal Crossing WW - 77,000 / 2,035,000
06 PSP Valkyrie Profile - 70,000 / 70,000
07 PS2 Devil Summoner Kuzunoha Raidou - 64,000 / 64,000
08 NDS English DS Training - 53,000 / 574,000
09 NDS Braining Age - 51,000 / 1,642,000
10 PS2 Monster Hunter 2 - 26,000 / 442,000

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I knew Gundam would be on top.

CoM did sell less then Sword of Mana did in its first week, but then again it was the same case with Slime Mori Mori 2. I guess it depends on how long it stays in the charts. But yes it is bomba. And given that Valkyrie Profile sold over 300K, VPL should be considered bomba as well. But I guess it's special since it's a PSP title that sold over 50K within it's first week out in Japan?

GhaleonEB

Braining Age

I keep reading that and think it should be the official name for these threads. :lol

DS domination, once again.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
neo2046 said:
posted?
http://www.gpara.com/ranking/index.htm

01 PS2 Gundam Clamix U.C. - 157,000 / 157,000
02 NDS Seiken Densetsu CoM - 103,000 / 103,000
03 PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 (Samurai Warrior) - 98,000 / 425,000
04 NDS Braining Age 2 - 91,000 / 1,434,000
05 NDS Animal Crossing WW - 77,000 / 2,035,000
06 PSP Valkyrie Profile - 70,000 / 70,000
07 PS2 Devil Summoner Kuzunoha Raidou - 64,000 / 64,000
08 NDS English DS Training - 53,000 / 574,000
09 NDS Braining Age - 51,000 / 1,642,000
10 PS2 Monster Hunter 2 - 26,000 / 442,000
http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/rank/total_rank.html
It's not working. :(

Roders5 said:
What were predictions for these? Do you think DSLite shortages affected COM at all?
I'd say the might have a bit, but I don't think it would have a huge, huge impact. I imagine next week's sales will be bigger than they normally would have been thanks to the impending launch of the blue DS Lites. After that it will drop to whatever normal levels it would hit without the hardware launch.

RaijinFY

Roders5 said:
What were predictions for these? Do you think DSLite shortages affected COM at all?

I dont know, I didnt see any predictions but seeing how Children of Mana started, It may (and in fact, certainly) sell less than Sword of Mana, which is disappointing... Maybe It will have legs!

Quite surprised Square's first major Nintendo DS game outsold their first PSP game considering third party games generally sell better on Sony systems than Nintendo systems.

Mrbob

Viewtiful Darkness said:
Quite surprised Square's first Nintendo DS game outsold their first PSP game considering third party games generally sell better on Sony systems than Nintendo systems.

So you're surprised a more hyped game, launched on the same day as brand new hardware to spur sales, sold more than a port?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Mrbob said:
So you're surprised a more hyped game, launched on the same day as brand new hardware to spur sales, sold more than a port?
I don't think he's talking about CoM.

Edit: Wait maybe he is since EMH didn't sell better then VP.

Elios83

Viewtiful Darkness said:
Quite surprised Square's first Nintendo DS game outsold their first PSP game considering third party games generally sell better on Sony systems than Nintendo systems.

LOL good way to spin the Seiken Densetsu flop on DS :lol :lol :lol
Valkyrie Profile is just a port of an old PSX game and nevertheless it has sold nearly the same of an original SE game on the DS which has double the installed base of PSP in Japan :D

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
DS game sales didn't spike as much as predicted. I guess they will stay higher the usual over the next few weeks (but with DS sales, what really is normal anyway?)

Elios83 said:
LOL good way to spin the Seiken Densetsu flop on DS :lol :lol :lol

103k in its first week is a flop? With severe hardware shortages? You have to be kidding me.

Valkyrie Profile is just a port of an old PSX game and nevertheless it has sold nearly the same of an original SE game on the DS which has double the installed base of PSP in Japan :D

Yeah, "nearly" the same ... it has sold 30% less, that's about as muchuch as the difference between the user bases of Xbox and GC in the USA (and in the past months I somehow have never heard of GCs and Xboxs user bases in the USA being "nearly the same".

Edit: Btw. how much did Sword of Mana sell?

Mrbob

Frankfurter said:
103k in its first week is a flop? With severe hardware shortages? You have to be kidding me.

You really aren't blaming DS Lite hardware shortages for the reason CoM didn't sell more, right? What about the 6 million owners who already own a DS. I also agree 103K in week one is not a flop.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mrbob said:
You really aren't blaming DS Lite hardware shortages for the reason CoM didn't sell more, right? What about the 6 million owners who already own a DS. I also agree 103K in week one is not a flop.
They saw the long lines at all the stores and went home without buying anything. :D

Elios83

Frankfurter said:

Yeah, "nearly" the same ... it has sold 30% less, that's about as muchuch as the difference between the user bases of Xbox and GC (and in the past months I somehow have never heard of GCs and Xboxs user bases in the USA being "nearly the same".

Edit: Btw. how much did Sword of Mana sell?

What's the relationship between hardware shortages and the missing 5.900.000 DS owners who have decided to not buy the brand new SE game for their console?
It's just a flop.

Bebpo

Banned
Devil Summoner BOMBA

Hope Persona 3 sells better. I would like an SMT4 next-gen but at this rate.....

RaijinFY

Frankfurter said:

What? I'm sorry but it's not like the 6M DS owners cant play CoM with their old DS. Disappointing start, period. But like I said, maybe it will have some legs.

Mrbob said:

It's definitely a reason. Of course there are 6 million people that already own a DS. But these people also already own games and therefore it is possible that they a) won't buy the game at all or b) could wait a week or two or a month or whatever till they buy the game (they have no money at the moment, they still have games to play or whatever).
People that buy a system will of course also buy one or more games with it and a new game like CoM will definitely be a really interesting game for these people.

Elios83 said:
What's the relationship between hardware shortages and the missing 5.900.000 DS owners who have decided to not buy the brand new SE game for their console?
It's just a flop.

Software sales tend to be much higher when the hardware sales are higher. Could that be a ... relationship ... ?

For the rest see above.

Beowvlf

Banned
Damn, those have to be disappointing sales for CoM, considering it was the premier new title launched alongside the Lite, shortage or not. 50k lower than SoM, which was a remake, is seriously underwhelming. There is absolutely no chance for CoM to match SoM's 277k total, and it's very possible it won't even break 200k. This could very well be an indicator that while the DS has a huge installed base and crazy hype, most owners aren't the least bit interested in traditional games.

On the other hand for SE, they have to be quite happy with VP, since it'll likely do over 100k now, which I wasn't expecting at all. I thought CoM would more than double VP's sales at the very least.

Devil Summoner is decent, hopefully it'll crawl past 100k. NA localization is pretty much in the bag now.

Brain Training keeps selling, which is about the least interesting topic around. Hooray for edutainment getting tracked alongside traditional games!

11-30 should be interesting and many should have some very good numbers, considering #10 is at 26k.

Anything that moves over 100,000 units in one week in Japan can't possibly be considered a flop. The outrageous success of the DS has just pushed your expectations too high. (Not that Nintendo is complaining per se.)

But CoM isn't going to be one of those "sells forever and ever" games. More than likely, it'll do the same thing most Japanese games do -- sell well for a few weeks, then drop off the face of the earth.

If it drops off the charts in the next week or two THEN it'll be a flop.
If it drops off the charts in the next week or two, it'll be a Japanese videogame.

Kobun Heat said:
Anything that moves over 100,000 units in one week in Japan can't possibly be considered a flop. The outrageous success of the DS has just pushed your expectations too high. (Not that Nintendo is complaining per se.)

But CoM isn't going to be one of those "sells forever and ever" games. More than likely, it'll do the same thing most Japanese games do -- sell well for a few weeks, then drop off the face of the earth.

Like Slime MoriMori 2?

Heian-kyo said:
There is absolutely no chance for CoM to match SoM's 277k total, and it's very possible it won't even break 200k.

I'm quite optimistic that you'll be quite surprised by the sales of CoM in the next weeks :lol

Beowvlf

Banned
Flop is an exaggeration (this is GAF), but I don't think anyone can deny that 103k is disappointing, especially compared to Sword of Mana's performance, which didn't launch alongside a new variation of the GBA, nor did the GBA ever enjoy the level of hype and fervor the DS is currently bathing in.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Heian-kyo said:
Flop is an exaggeration (this is GAF), but I don't think anyone can deny that 103k is disappointing, especially compared to Sword of Mana's performance, which didn't launch alongside a new variation of the GBA, nor did the GBA ever enjoy the level of hype and fervor the DS is currently bathing in.
AHH! but the GBA had 2 times the userbase of the DS at the time, so it really is doing better by comparison! :p

Actually, the fervor surrounding the DS won't neccessarly cause a game to launch with huge numbers, but it will cause the game to have better legs. People aren't buying the DS for this game, but the new people who are buying the DS are likely to buy this game with the new system. Nearly all of the DS' top-selling games started slowly, but reached their levels through strong continous sales.

People here are trying to create damage where none is due. We all know you can't declare a game a flop after a single week, especially when that games sells over a 100k in that week. If anything, calling CoM a flop is damage control from our PSP friends.

Elios83

Frankfurter said:
It's definitely a reason. Of course there are 6 million people that already own a DS. But these people also already own games and therefore it is possible that they a) won't buy the game at all or b) could wait a week or two or a month or whatever till they buy the game (they have no money at the moment, they still have games to play or whatever).
People that buy a system will of course also buy one or more games with it and a new game like CoM will definitely be a really interesting game for these people.

Software sales tend to be much higher when the hardware sales are higher. Could that be a ... relationship ... ?

For the rest see above.

You're just doing damage control,simple and clean.That's it if you pretend that a 6 million installed base has less influence on software sales than weekly hardware sales.

Heian-kyo said:

IIRC, there were 80,000 DS Lites. So, if they all bought CoM with their DS Lite, that would make 23,000 DS owners who bought it.

And IIRC, there are 60,000 each for the two delayed DSes. What makes you think there will not be a boost in sales?

Anyway, this is dumb. Everyone predicted doom and gloom for Slime MoriMori 2 when it launched with, what, 40k in December? And it ended up crawling to about 270k. I think that we have enough evidence to put that "only Nintendo games show legs" thing to rest.

Elios83 said:
You're just doing damage control,simple and clean.That's it if you pretend that a 6 million installed base has less influence on software sales than weekly hardware sales.

I'm not saying that. I said that hardware shortages HAVE an influence on the sales of CoM, not that they have more influence than the 6 million DS owners.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
A Link to the Past said:
Anyway, this is dumb. Everyone predicted doom and gloom for Slime MoriMori 2 when it launched with, what, 40k in December? And it ended up crawling to about 270k. I think that we have enough evidence to put that "only Nintendo games show legs" thing to rest.
:lol that's cute. The likes of Heian-kyo and his cohorts will argue that every third party DS game is an utter failure and that "edutainment" is the only thing keeping the DS alive. :p

Top Bottom