• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 31Jan-6 Feb

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Go PSP. Good to see sales are strong. Its a shame that Nintendo cant compete with sales though.

GC had a small rise this week, lets just hope sales get better.

Year to date numbers
PS2 353,248,
PSP 316,383
DS 279,474
GBASP 127,505
GC 47,673
GBA 3,449
XBOX 3,038

Last years numbers
February 2 - 8, 2004
Game Boy Advance SP - 50,690
PlayStation 2 - 48,027
GameCube - 8,647
Game Boy Advance - 6,778
Xbox - 959
PSone - 402
Wonder Swan Crystal - 186

Last weeks numbers
January 24 - 30, 2005
PSP - 74,405
PlayStation 2 - 58,673
Nintendo DS - 43,226
Game Boy Advance SP - 11,589
GameCube - 8,214
Xbox - 467
Game Boy Advance - 399

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Elios83 said:
PSP 48,781
DS 29,552

Dear GAF,

I didn't see enough argument about PSP #'s in that last thread... let's do better in this one.... ok?

Yours,
Darien

P.S. The damage control for the DS should not simply consist of... well it's still got a bigger userbase. Expand on that please. But don't pull the DC out too soon. Thanks a bunch.

explodet

1 GBA Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2 Banpresto 117,876
2 PS2 Another Century's Episode Bandai 39,694
3 PS2 Radiata Stories Square Enix 38,786
4 GC Biohazard 4 Capcom 28,608
5 DS Catch! Touch! Yoshi! Nintendo 27,336
6 PS2 Exciting Pro Wrestling 6: Smackdown vs Raw Yukes 25,189
7 PS2 Gran Turismo 4 SCE 21,142
8 PS2 Death By Degrees Namco 13,915
9 DS Sawaru Made in Wario Nintendo 13,710
10 PS2 Monster Hunter G Capcom 13,558

thetower.jpg

Speevy

Banned
I'm torn between being confused and falling asleep. There's never any type of consistency between the two numbers. Why do we count the Media-Create ones if they always count one or two systems lower? It's not like the extra numbers were made up. Also, no one could gain any kind of clear picture from that software chart.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DarienA said:
P.S. The damage control for the DS should not simply consist of... well it's still got a bigger userbase. Expand on that please. But don't pull the DC out too soon. Thanks a bunch.

Here's a proposal: Sony is still enjoying "first rush" high sales given that fewer people have been able to get the system before? Whereas Nintendo, with a larger userbase, has tapped out more of the initial high sales that such systems enjoy. Thus, as the PSP userbase goes beyond the "guaranteed" first sales most systems enjoy, PSP sales will start to slow too. I really don't know, it's only a thought ;)

DarienA

gofreak said:
Here's a proposal: Sony is still enjoying "first rush" high sales given that fewer people have been able to get the system before? Whereas Nintendo, with a larger userbase, has tapped out more of the initial high sales that such systems enjoy. Thus, as the PSP userbase goes beyond the "guaranteed" first sales most systems enjoy, PSP sales will start to slow too. I really don't know, it's only a thought ;)

<applause>

Welll said, well spoken.

Here is a thought. The DS sold so much in when it launched because it was the Holiday's and because they were able to release with considerable supply while PSP was a limited release. Now the parents arent buying for the kids as much and people are buying for themselves, thus more PSP sales and less DS sales.

Jonnyram

gofreak said:
Intelligent responses like this will get you nowhere. You're best off avoiding these threads unless you want to feel exasperated like the rest of us :D

Izzy

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
Here is a thought. The DS sold so much in when it launched because it was the Holiday's and because they were able to release with considerable supply while PSP was a limited release. Now the parents arent buying for the kids as much and people are buying for themselves, thus more PSP sales and less DS sales.

Absolutely. On the other hand - pitty about the PSP shortages.

gone5tn.jpg

KeithFranklin said:

Well, if that's true that the DS is *mostly* for kids, and the PSP has the mature audience, then you're already giving Sony what their plan has been all along.

I think as gofreak said, that it's WAY too early to be declaring winners or losers here. The PSP still hasn't satisfied it's initial demand as the DS was able to. Once that initial demand is spent and units are readily available for a month or so, then the weekly comparisons will be more valid.

However, I do think it's imporant to track the DS & PSP sales against the GBA's from years past at similar times to answer a few questions:

1) Is the handheld market growing or just switching systems?

2) How do they compare to the GBA's sales? It would be tough to match them, but if they surpass them for comparable timeframes, then that would be a spectacular accomplishment

3) Are people getting multiple handhelds? That's never been an issue before, but it can have some serious consequences for tie ratios and overall handheld sales.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Why on earth are people still buying PS2's at a huge number???

Shouldn't everyone have one already?

The success story of Sony - create faulty hardware after the warrenty expires!

speedpop said:

Yet the tie-ratio for the PS2 is still higher than GC or XBox, so there's a problem with your logic.

Sysgen

Guy LeDouche said:
Yet the tie-ratio for the PS2 is still higher than GC or XBox, so there's a problem with your logic.

How does that translate into a problem with his logic? What does the tie-in ratio have to do with repurchased systems?

DarienA

Sysgen said:
How does that translate into a problem with his logic? What does the tie-in ratio have to do with repurchased systems?

So you're saying that people are replacing their systems only when they are ready to buy new software for it too? This whole doesn't everyone have argument is silly anyway... the actual population of various countries DWARFS the actual amount of consoles in the respective countries.

Sysgen said:

Tie Ratio for the PS2 is already the highest of any system in history.

If you believe that a significant percentage of systems (say ~15-20%) are repurchased, it makes the tie ratio increase by an ever larger percentage (say 20-25%)*.

*Interestingly the percentage of the tie ratio to higher tie ratio is greater than the percentage of repurchased system.

X system / Y software = tie ratio
(X - % of X) / Y software = higher tie ratio

Sysgen

DarienA said:
So you're saying that people are replacing their systems only when they are ready to buy new software for it too? This whole doesn't everyone have argument is silly anyway... the actual population of various countries DWARFS the actual amount of consoles in the respective countries.

I'm not saying anything and I didn't say he was wrong, only on what basis his opinion was formed. I kinda asked him what he was saying :)

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
gofreak said:
I dunno, Sony seem to defy that rule. Thier slaes will start to become slow, but I dont think it will be as slow as the DS. If the sales of PSP stay steady, then DS will be in trouble. However, if PSP sales slow down and sell the same as DS, then Nintendo could give sony a hard fight. PSP sales will slow down, but to about 35,000 - 38,000

Sysgen

sonycowboy said:
Tie Ratio for the PS2 is already the highest of any system in history.

If you believe that a significant percentage of systems (say ~15-20%) are repurchased, it makes the tie ratio increase by an ever larger percentage (say 20-25%)*.

*Interestingly the percentage of the tie ratio to higher tie ratio is greater than the percentage of repurchased system.

X system / Y software = tie ratio
(X - % of X) / Y software = higher tie ratio

Yes I know that the more systems that are replaced the higher the tie in ratio but what started this was:

--------------------------------------
Originally Posted by speedpop:

-------------------------------------

So what does tie-in ratio have to do with speedpop's post and ergo, why is there a problem with his logic?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Guy LeDouche said:
Wasn't at all trying to put forth a logic. I know if my PS2 conked out the first thing I'd do, if the warranty had expired, is to buy a brand new one. It's just a simple fact of life and there has been past history where Sony products have been malfunctioned after a certain period of time.

Also laying the excuse of console mistreatment is false, as a friend of mine had a launch PSX and PS2, took absolutely the biggest amount of care into each one and both died after the warranty. Whereas myself buying them a few years after launch, I throw them around and couldn't care less literally and they still work like a charm. Since then he's vowed not to buy a launch Sony product ever again. Maybe it's an entirely different story for other people's launch systems, but first impressions last a long time. It's like trying to coax a family of big and rich diner's back into your restaurant just because your famous chef had a bad day and delivered a pile of dung. Same deal.

I'm just still amazed at how well Sony are doing hardware wise and the simple fact that there are literally 20,000+ average weekly still buying them in Japan alone. It's insane.

Miburou

Sysgen said:
Yes I know that the more systems that are replaced the higher the tie in ratio but what started this was:

Originally Posted by speedpop:

-------------------------------------

So what does tie-in ratio have to do with speedpop's post and ergo, why is there a problem with his logic?

The PS2's tie-in ratio is 9.5, which is already the highest ever, IIRC. That's assuming all 81M PS2s sold are in active use. Now, if someone is saying that 50% of all PS2s are replacement units, then the number of active PS2 would be only 40M, and the real tie-in ratio would be 19 games per system, which is just insane.

So either Sony systems aren't anymore prone to failure than those from other manufacturers, or for some reason people buy more games for their Sony systems than any other systems (including all systems from the previous generations).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Code:
12/20-12/26  |  396,674
12/27- 1/02  |  209,522
 1/03- 1/09  |  108,561
 1/10- 1/16  |   53,527
 1/17- 1/23  |   44,608
 1/24- 1/30  |   43,226
 1/31- 2/06  |   29,552

Can the DS make it eight weeks in a row with lower sales next week?

EDIT: Oops, next week would be the seventh week, not eighth.

1 PSP 74,405 66,543 267,602
2 PlayStation 2 58,673 56,374 305,285
3 Nintendo DS 43,226 44,608 249,922
4 GameBoy Advance SP 11,589 13,317 114,046
5 GameCube 8,214 5,359 40,751
6 Xbox 467 498 2,650
7 Gameboy Advance 399 332 3,038
Well, I'm glad I wasn't to brash with the thought that PSP sales were finally starting to slow down, at a much earlier point in total sales than the DS too. So anyone care to explain? An even heavier shortage, or is supply finally meeting demand? So I don't see why anyone's celebrating still. However, I wonder if this DS drop will continue too.

We'll have till wait till next week I guess.

Link316

Banned
10 PSP games are in the top 50 vs 6 for the DS, but more importantly 8 of those PSP games are 3rd party compared to just 1 for the DS

Top Bottom