• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Charts - 6/7-6/13/04

cvxfreak

SOFTWARE

Place. [System] Game Name (Publisher) - This Week / 2004 Total

1. [PlayStation 2] Jissen Pachislot: Fist of the North Star (Sammy) - 77,532 / 545,727
2. [GameBoy Advance] Mario vs. Donkey Kong (Nintendo) - 52,008 / 52,008
3. [GameBoy Advance] [GameBoy Advance] Famicom Mini: Ganbare Goemon (Nintendo) - 25,475 / N/A
4. [GameCube] Pikmin 2 (Nintendo) - 23,978 / 348,672
5. [PlayStation 2] Super Robot Taisen MX (Banpresto) - 23,001 / 470,114
6. [PlayStation 2] Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Capcom) - 20,042 / 364,856
7. [PlayStation 2] Sakura Saka Katsu (Airemu Software Engineering) - 19,827 / N/A
8. [GameCube] Wario World (Nintendo) - 13,500 / 82,898
9. [GameBoy Advance] Famicom Mini: Dr. Mario (Nintendo) - 11,142 / N/A
10. 10. [PlayStation 2] Pachislot Tokondensho: Inoki Festival (Success) - 9,571 / 139,859

HARDWARE

Place. System - This Week (Last Week) / 2004 Total

1. PlayStation 2 - 27,227 (29,406) / 1,345,536
2. GameBoy Advance SP - 26,560 (24,838) / 1,331,155
3. GameCube - 5,229 (5,020) / 383,253
4. GameBoy Advance - 2,254 (2,208) / 150,394
5. Xbox - 434 (574) / 20,513
6. PSone - 195 (299) / N/A
7. Swan Crystal - 89 (73) / N/A

"1. [PlayStation 2] Jissen Pachislot: Fist of the North Star (Sammy) - 77,532 / 545,727"

Seriously now, WTF is going on here? This is going to end up being Sega's biggest seller in Japan this gen if it keeps up at this rate.

Oops thought that was the Sega-Ages version.

Grubdog

Banned
Mario vs Donkey Bomb?

...nah. It should keep selling well. Wario World has sold better than I thought it would, and Pikmin 2 is still selling well, woo!

Meier

The last Fist of the North Star Pachinko game sold pretty well and the Sega-Ages title did as well. No surprise that it's doing well but that it's doing THIS well is pretty amazing.

What's up with the Famicom Mini totals continually being N/A? :( Gambare Goemon did 12,062 last week and also charted before although Game-Science mistakenly credited it to Kirby's entry. It's hard to get an accurate count because of it.

http://game-science.com/news/000607.html
http://game-science.com/news/000621.html

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
2. [GameBoy Advance] Mario vs. Donkey Kong (Nintendo) - 52,008 / 52,008

nst sucks what

hardly a bomb

Jonnyram

Meier said:
What's up with the Famicom Mini totals continually being N/A? :( Gambare Goemon did 12,062 last week and also charted before although Game-Science mistakenly credited it to Kirby's entry. It's hard to get an accurate count because of it.

http://game-science.com/news/000607.html
http://game-science.com/news/000621.html

Oops! Fixed that Goemon -> Kirby.
The problem with the data now is that M.Create don't provide totals every week - we have to keep them manually. So if a game drops out of the top ten one week, we lose the ability to keep an accurate total. Goemon didn't make the top ten in its first week, so we have no idea what the total is.

Just archive it, then refer to past data. If a game sells say a total of 473,193 units and then drops off, then when it returns it sells 3,378 units in a week you can just add 473,193+3,378.

cvxfreak

ManDudeChild said:
Just archive it, then refer to past data. If a game sells say a total of 473,193 units and then drops off, then when it returns it sells 3,378 units in a week you can just add 473,193+3,378.

That doesn't work because we still won't have an accurate number. Famitsu is here to save the day, luckily. But ever since Gameonline went down and Bloomberg stopped posting Media Create numbers, Famitsu is the best for now.

ferricide

the hokuto no ken game also costs Y3990 MSRP, which is cheaper than your average game of ~6000, which is probably helping sales along.

gee, maybe japanese companies should drop their fucking prices to help the sales of games. games cost $40-50 here on average; games cost $50-80 there on average. poo. GBA games cost $45.

stonedwal

ferricide said:
the hokuto no ken game also costs Y3990 MSRP, which is cheaper than your average game of ~6000, which is probably helping sales along.

gee, maybe japanese companies should drop their fucking prices to help the sales of games. games cost $40-50 here on average; games cost $50-80 there on average. poo. GBA games cost $45.

The US has the cheapest games in the world by a long shot (more than likely due to its economic strength and the fact that it is the largest market in the world) - I'm paying $US68 for the average title in Australia, while a UK gamer would be expected to pay $US73 for the average game. Companies are going to charge what the consumers are willing to pay, so unless the Japanese public stops buying games all together, I don't see anything changing. With development costs on the rise, it's all catch-22.

Bebpo

Banned
stonedwal said:
The US has the cheapest games in the world by a long shot (more than likely due to its economic strength and the fact that it is the largest market in the world) - I'm paying $US68 for the average title in Australia, while a UK gamer would be expected to pay $US73 for the average game. Companies are going to charge what the consumers are willing to pay, so unless the Japanese public stops buying games all together, I don't see anything changing. With development costs on the rise, it's all catch-22.

But Ferricide's point is that the Japanese public have "stopped buying games" in a way since the game sales for an average 6800yen game have been pretty low the last bunch of years whereas cheap 3800yen games are selling quite well.

AniHawk

almokla said:
GameCube sales disgust me

I'm actually surprised they haven't been steady at 5,000. There are really no games coming out this month, and no price drops or anything. When the pace picks up next month, it should go back to its normal 10k a week for a bit. I have a feeling it should sell 1 million again this year if Nintendo does things right.

stonedwal

Bebpo said:
But Ferricide's point is that the Japanese public have "stopped buying games" in a way since the game sales for an average 6800yen game have been pretty low the last bunch of years whereas cheap 3800yen games are selling quite well.

As I said, dropping the price of the software is a catch-22, given the rise of development costs - you'd need a hell of a lot of new customers to make up the reduced revenue. I'd love cheaper games, but so long as people are still prepared to pay for games at the current price, nobody is going to change anything. I think the decline in the Japanese market may have a lot more to do with the quality of releases than the pricing.

king zell

Pikmin 2 would sell better if it wasn't sold out at many stores

I think this year is better for GC hardware sales as a total and in a weekly bases

I remember last year the sales went as low as around 1000 a week.. I can't remember when

Chrono

Banned
These numbers are for Japan right? yeah I know it's obvious from Pikmin 2 but I'm paranoid.

Xbox is getting hammered. I don't see how the hell can Microsoft ever ask Sqaure_Enix to make RPGs for xbox 2 with a decent face. Good for Nintendo. :cool:

Chrono said:
Xbox is getting hammered. I don't see how the hell can Microsoft ever ask Sqaure_Enix to make RPGs for xbox 2 with a decent face.

I'm sure they'll ask, although it's not going to do any good unless they get something going. The Xbox has nothing going for at all in Japan. I don't think i've ever seen a system just get completely owned in a territory like the Xbox is. And as bad as the Xbox is doing there it could be much worse if there weren't Team Ninja games released on it. They've gotta make some big changes next gen if they even hope ot have a chance of performing decently in Japan.

Top Bottom