• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create figures - June 19 to June 25

mj1108 said:
If these 150k weeks are the new "norm", what the hell is going to happen come Pokemon and the holiday season??
600K+ a week like last year.

although i still think im selling the system short even then.

charlequin said:
Anyone got a link to the post about how even the convenience stores in Japan are now taking preorders for FFIII, and the convenience stores in Japan only carry games that are absolutely guaranteed to be huge?
I don't have a link, but I was just in a convenience store buying some strawberry milk and saw a big preorder ad. But that doesn't mean anything by itself; I'm sure they also had plenty of preorder signage for FFVII DoC, which was one of the biggest turds ever dropped onto this country.

What makes me so sure is a combination of things. Hot console, one of the most popular franchises, simple gameplay, cross-generational appeal, a country blanketed in ads, released right in the middle of one of the biggest game-buying seasons... there's simply no reason to doubt it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
How come you guys ahve been slacking in #31 - 50 or are they no longer listed? Is .hack//G.U. still anywhere in there? :(

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
For FF III sales, I'll listen to the person who was closest with their NSMB prediction. Who was that?

Lapsed

Banned
melvoin said:
These are three major 3rd parties I could find off hand. I challenge you DS fanboys to show me some major 3rd party lineups(besides Square Enix) where DS is similarly outnumbering PSP... or even beating it at all.

This is what's really happening. It's time some of you started to wake up.

The days of street fighter, FF, and DQ that you're referring to are from well over a decade ago. The industry has changed.

In Shakespeare's "Timon of Athens" there is this quote: "Wilt thou whip thine own faults in other men?" This is what we're seeing above.

Yes, it was true that ten years ago many Nintendo fans were stuck in the past. When the Playstation debuted, many thought it wouldn't match the N64. But, in their defense, the industry had only gone through four console generations at that point. Now as we enter the seventh console generation, there is no excuse for being stuck in the past. There is too much business history to suggest that the market leaders of prior generations rarely retain it for long.

Sony fans remind me of the Nintendo fans back during the early N64 days. Sony fans' worldview is stuck in the later half of the 90s and cannot get out.

This worldview consists of the following:

-Only fans of Nintendo games buy Nintendo systems.

-Fans of Nintendo are always fans of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

-Third parties don't make games on Nintendo systems.

-If they do make any games, the third parties' games won't sell on Nintendo's system because that userbase are a bunch of Mario and Zelda fans, not TRUE GAMERS like Playstation players.

-Nintendo is an unfair company who puts third parties into draconian contracts.

-The Sony system always has the superior game library.

-Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are franchises on Sony systems. They will never be a part on a Nintendo system again.

-The marketshare for Sony system is always RISING, marketshare for Nintendo system is always FALLING (insert a pie chart for effect).

-If this keeps up, Nintendo will have to go third party and make games for Sony systems.

The problem for the Sony fan is that it is no longer 1996 but 2006 (just as the problem for the Nintendo fan ten years ago was that it was no longer 1986 but 1996). Nothing on that worldview list really holds up anymore. But it won't matter, the Sony fan will pull one of those out each different time.

The industry IS changing though. The Nintendo under Iwata is completely different than the Nintendo under Yamauchi. The Sony of today (where they are betting the company on the PS3) is different than the Sony of yesterday (where every part of the company was healthy). And instead of cash starved Sega, we have money drunk Microsoft.

Third parties gravitate towards the console in which they can make the most money. Nintendo's contracts of yesteryear really compromised that. But today, the biggest difference seen through third party publishers' eyes now is cost. Development costs were way too high last generation, this next generation the HD gaming will break the back of too many budgets except for the biggest companies (which our friend, above, only wants to focus on). The industry will also change because third parties handle disruption technologies differently. Electronic Arts, who for some reason cannot handle disruption technology, will stumble. Atlus, who appears to be embracing the disruptive element, will reap the awards.

I think many of the Sony fans thought the DS "blip" in Japan was just a fad. It was inevitable that the PSP would rise to the top while DS sank. But it is not inevitable. And the future cannot be that easily predicted. It is very probable that the Wii could take over Japan in the same fashion the DS had. Games such as Animal Crossing WW are outselling Final Fantasy 12. A Mario game is raking in monster sales and is sitting at the top of the sales charts in all countries. Change is happening.

What scares them, I think, is that they ought to realize by now that the DS is not a fad. And that Japan may become the deciding market in the console wars to come. Even more worrisome is that the trends of Japan may catch on in the markets in the West.

Remember how everyone said Brain Trainer wouldn't sell in the West? Yeah. Whatever is happening in Japan is slowly spreading throughout the rest of the world...

Lapsed

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
What makes me so sure is a combination of things. Hot console, one of the most popular franchises, simple gameplay, cross-generational appeal, a country blanketed in ads, released right in the middle of one of the biggest game-buying seasons... there's simply no reason to doubt it.

Cross-generation = the Lapsed Gamers

People give non-gamers too much credit for the success for the DS. But Nintendo's strategy is also to heavily target the lapsed gamers and get them playing again. This is why sales for games such as New Super Mario Brothers is so high. Since lapsed gamers seem to be strongest in Japan and Final Fantasy III hails from the NES era, this Final Fantasy will appeal to them more.

Unless Square-Enix bungles Final Fantasy 3, it will be a sure-fire hit. :)

Mrbob said:
10? lol!

Why is Xbox still being counted? 10 for the whole week, hilarious.
That is a good question. Looking back at systems like PS1, WonderSwan Color, SwanCrystal, and Game Boy Advance, they were at least consistently getting multiple dozen when they stopped being listed. I guess Xbox has only been consistently under 100 for about 3 months now, though, so maybe it won't be much longer. Or maybe they're waiting for GBA to get just a bit lamer so they can drop them together.

AniHawk said:
Japan doesn't matter. If Japan mattered, the Xbox would've lost to the Gamecube.
GameCube didn't matter in Japan either, though, relative to PS2. If anything, GameCube versus Xbox shows that being a distant second in one territory doesn't guarantee you'll be in second place in another territory.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
JoshuaJSlone said:
GameCube didn't matter in Japan either, though, relative to PS2. If anything, GameCube versus Xbox shows that being a distant second in one territory doesn't guarantee you'll be in second place in another territory.

Exactly, the japanese market is important if you have big enough an impact there, it's no wonder since the NES all systems that got to leadership in Japan rose to the same status worldwide. Japan wasn't very important for Genesis as a market either, but overall Japan didn't lose its importance just because the 16-bit war got all the attention in the US(and made the most money), it still pretty much called the shots of who would lead if you watch closely how it happened with the PS1. Not that it's a rule, but it's interesting not only how that happened as also how we saw the rise of console RPGs, Pokemon, Tetris, Nintendogs, and now Brain Training, it's an important market even if it isn't the biggest.

Fuzzy said:
YTD / LTD
DS - 902,788 / 6,549,740
DSL - 2,486,643
Combined - 3,389,431 / 9,036,383

PSP - 895,004 / 3,577,966

Two more weeks and the combined DS YTD will be higher than the PSP LTD.

Well, what I found most amazing in DS's performance is that it sells ALWAYS around 150-200k. And that's means 1 million pro month.
In 1 year, Nintendo DS LTD will be higher then PS2 LTD: absurde !!! And this without count December.

Lapsed said:
The problem for the Sony fan is that it is no longer 1996 but 2006 (just as the problem for the Nintendo fan ten years ago was that it was no longer 1986 but 1996). Nothing on that worldview list really holds up anymore. But it won't matter, the Sony fan will pull one of those out each different time.

The industry IS changing though. The Nintendo under Iwata is completely different than the Nintendo under Yamauchi. The Sony of today (where they are betting the company on the PS3) is different than the Sony of yesterday (where every part of the company was healthy). And instead of cash starved Sega, we have money drunk Microsoft.

Third parties gravitate towards the console in which they can make the most money. Nintendo's contracts of yesteryear really compromised that. But today, the biggest difference seen through third party publishers' eyes now is cost. Development costs were way too high last generation, this next generation the HD gaming will break the back of too many budgets except for the biggest companies (which our friend, above, only wants to focus on). The industry will also change because third parties handle disruption technologies differently. Electronic Arts, who for some reason cannot handle disruption technology, will stumble. Atlus, who appears to be embracing the disruptive element, will reap the awards.

I think many of the Sony fans thought the DS "blip" in Japan was just a fad. It was inevitable that the PSP would rise to the top while DS sank. But it is not inevitable. And the future cannot be that easily predicted. It is very probable that the Wii could take over Japan in the same fashion the DS had. Games such as Animal Crossing WW are outselling Final Fantasy 12. A Mario game is raking in monster sales and is sitting at the top of the sales charts in all countries. Change is happening.

What scares them, I think, is that they ought to realize by now that the DS is not a fad. And that Japan may become the deciding market in the console wars to come. Even more worrisome is that the trends of Japan may catch on in the markets in the West.

Remember how everyone said Brain Trainer wouldn't sell in the West? Yeah. Whatever is happening in Japan is slowly spreading throughout the rest of the world...

Excellent post.

koam said:
Thanks, here are the forecasted numbers..

normal_pacchart.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol You're a boss. Amazing.

ziran

Great sales for NSMB!

Shame to see MV2 so low, but the main things selling in Japan seem to be major franchises and new Nintendo games, so it's not that surprising.

I expect this will happen anyway, there are rumours from sources cited as reliable saying there will be 2 new DS Lite colours coming with the launch of Pokémon Diamond/Pearl:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3344&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=4

The DS Lite availability is becoming a concern. Over 100k a week has become the norm, with even bigger boosts when major games are released and Nintendo still needs to build stocks for the end of year.

edit - I have to wonder if the manufacture of 2.2 million DS Lites a month will be enough.

ziran

jesusraz said:
So, Pink DS Lite in time the Cooking game, and two more colours for Pokémon D/P? Bloody hell...Where's that touch-screen PSP when Sony needs it most?! :lol

By the way, can you post more details of that story as I can't access that site at work, please?
sure. it's the weekly japan feature from tim rogers:
...New DS Lite Colors

Nintendo announced a new pink DS Lite, coming July 20th. It is about the same pink as the original pink DS, leaving me to wonder if a blue one isn't far behind. I have heard rumors from very reliable sources that there are two new colors coming in October, which would coincide with the release of the new Pokemon game. My friend and I brainstormed what new colors they'd be, seeing as the new Pokemon games are "Diamond" and "Pearl." Would they be "Clear" and "Cream"? That would certainly fit out modern monochrome aesthetic, now, wouldn't it? "Clear" though -- I'm fairly certain that the era of transparent / translucent electronics is completely behind us. We all know iPod white is the new clear.

If they really want to mark the tenth anniversary of Pokemon, they can just make Red and Green DS Lites. That would be perfect. For the kids, you see. ("The kids" includes me.)...

Kobun Heat said:
Oh, quite to the contrary. It can easily be overstated. In fact, the context in which it was used in the very post you replied to is an example of how this comment can be overstated.

Final Fantasy III is as close to a sure thing as there is right now.

fair enough - you can overstate it when it's a sure thing. at the same time though, even games that were expected to do good (AC:WW & NSMB) have ended performing shockingly well. I don't think most were expecting such crazy sales in the long run, and it is quite possible FFIII will surprise us - even if it is a "sure thing".

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Well, what I found most amazing in DS's performance is that it sells ALWAYS around 150-200k. And that's means 1 million pro month.
In 1 year, Nintendo DS LTD will be higher then PS2 LTD: absurde !!! And this without count December.
You need a little help with math.

Combined DS sales by month (4/4/5 weeks) this year.
January - 316,259
February - 135,105
March - 761,417
April - 828,119
May - 746,971
June - 601,560 (needs one more week)

donny2112

It's fun to set up the Japanese weekly handheld sales using NPD rules for comparison. :) Makes you realize just how incredibly flat sales in the U.S. are for the handheld sector. June will (hopefully) change that.

thefro

Azelover said:
Exactly, the japanese market is important if you have big enough an impact there, it's no wonder since the NES all systems that got to leadership in Japan rose to the same status worldwide. Japan wasn't very important for Genesis as a market either, but overall Japan didn't lose its importance just because the 16-bit war got all the attention in the US(and made the most money), it still pretty much called the shots of who would lead if you watch closely how it happened with the PS1. Not that it's a rule, but it's interesting not only how that happened as also how we saw the rise of console RPGs, Pokemon, Tetris, Nintendogs, and now Brain Training, it's an important market even if it isn't the biggest.

Right, if Wii racks up a huge lead in Japan (which seems likely if Nintendo can provide a good supply of units), it will lead to a lot, lot more 3rd party support.

ethelred

thefro said:
Right, if Wii racks up a huge lead in Japan (which seems likely if Nintendo can provide a good supply of units), it will lead to a lot, lot more 3rd party support.

It'll lead to some more, certainly. Not necessarily a lot more.

While Melvoin was mercilessly mocked (and rightly so) for his Monotastic post, there was a sliver of truth there in that third parties really haven't abandoned the PSP yet and a lot of major Japanese third parties such as Namco Bandai, Sega, Konami, and Capcom are continuing with a very healthy amount of PSP support (in some cases much greater than their DS support). And that's despite the astounding lead the DS has taken over the PSP.

I doubt the Wii's lead over the PS3, if it does take the lead in Japan, will be as severe as the DS lead over the PSP, so if the PSP can continue doing fairly well with Japanese third parties, a Wii lead isn't going to kill third party support for the PS3.

I think it will lead to some intense confusion and almost a deer-in-the-headlights paralysis from a whole lot of major devs, though. They're really just not going to know what to do if that happens. Many of these guys really want to be majing major production big-budget cinematic games and if you rule out the PS3, they're not really going to have an outlet for these since the 360 is completely dead in Japan, and they're making these games firstly for a Japanese audience.

So a Wii lead will give the system some more third party support, but not as much as some people are expecting, and I think that increase in support will still be a long time in the coming. The system's mostly going to be dominated for a very long time by Nintendo and by the few third parties that seem solidly on board from the outset.

BorkBork said:
For FF III sales, I'll listen to the person who was closest with their NSMB prediction. Who was that?

Me and some other guy, although I don't post on here enough for people to know who I am.
I predict first week sales of, hmmm 200,000?
And 800,00-900,000 LTD seems reasonable.

Honestly? To hell with these third-party developers. All of them. Why does Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft need to rely on relics like Capcom, Namco, Sega, Square every generation? Let's see a new third-party regime come into the picture, some new blood born as a result of lower development costs and strong marketing assistance from console manufacturers (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo).

AniHawk

Earthstrike said:
Me and some other guy, although I don't post on here enough for people to know who I am.
I predict first week sales of, hmmm 200,000?
And 800,00-900,000 LTD seems reasonable.
RPGs tend to sell the most in their first week on the market. If FFIII sold 200k in the first week, it'd probably do 400k-450k, tops.

AniHawk said:
RPGs tend to sell the most in their first week on the market. If FFIII sold 200k in the first week, it'd probably do 400k-450k, tops.

True, I was just about to edit my prediction.
I'm gonna say 250,000 first week and 700,000 LTD. I am relying of the long legs for DS games phenomenon here.

And yes, I am pulling these numbers completely out of my ass. (As most people do)

ethelred

AniHawk said:

Yeah, typically, but if you look at, say, Slime Morimori 2, almost all of its sales came after the first week. Pokemon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon have been selling well, well past their first week. 2/3rds of Children of Mana's sales came after the first week. So... that's usually the pattern with RPGs, but most of the DS RPGs seem to be more closely following the DS-game-in-general pattern which is to last longer than just a few weeks.

We'll see if that holds true for FF3, though I think it will. And I think it'll have more than 200k first week, too.

NintendosBooger said:
Honestly? To hell with these third-party developers. All of them. Why does Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft need to rely on relics like Capcom, Namco, Sega, Square every generation?

Because these relics as you call them have made and continue to make (largely) consistently good games that appeal to consumers in large numbers. When that stops, the reliance will stop.

NintendosBooger said:
Let's see a new third-party regime come into the picture, some new blood born as a result of lower development costs and strong marketing assistance from console manufacturers (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo).

Well, that's very good, too, though it's not a replacement for the larger third party developers, just a supplement. And to varying degrees, all three of the hardware makers are doing exactly what you ask for. Microsoft's supporting a bunch of these -- mainly in the form of funding big-name ex-corporate designers who've felt too constricted previously (like Gooch or Miz), and in the form of XBLA. Nintendo's got their fund supporting Skip, Camelot, Brownie Brown, and an assortment of other weird little developers. And so on.

Jiggy

Lapsed said:
I think many of the Sony fans thought the DS "blip" in Japan was just a fad. It was inevitable that the PSP would rise to the top while DS sank. But it is not inevitable. And the future cannot be that easily predicted. It is very probable that the Wii could take over Japan in the same fashion the DS had.
In defense of the Sony side, that's somewhat a contradiction. I agree the future can't easily be predicted--which is why it's too early to say that Wii will take over in Japan. Personally, I think it will, but that's just a hunch; the "evidence" to suggest so is only the DS' success, which is in somewhat a different market than Wii anyway.

Edit: Although, granted, you're using the word "could." Hard to argue with that, I suppose.

ioi

Banned
Apologies for the late reply, as well as setting up a couple of websites I've also been graduating this week so have been absent from my computer for a while...

Firstly, let's dispel the myth about the original Magical Vacation- whilst not a major hit it did well over the xmas of 2001 with around 265k total from a 62k first week:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japgamewk.php?name=Magical+Vacation

The sequel is a major disappointment.

The original Valkyrie Profile did 310k on the way to 640k. I can't see the sequel doing as well (280k > 65k > 30k) maybe 450k total, but still not bad.

http://www.vgcharts.org/japgamewk.php?name=Valkyrie+Profile

New SMB is still doing the business, not pulling nicely ahead of Pokemon Fr/Lg in a similar timeframe, and making 3m look pretty much a certainty at this stage, 3.5-4m quite possible.

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Pokemon+Fire+Red+%2F+Leaf+Green

And finally, Children of Mana creeps past Sword of Mana, longer legs despite a much lower start:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Seiken+Densetsu+DS%3A+Children+Of+Mana&name2=Seiken+Densetsu%3A+Sword+of+Mana

mj1108

Jiggy37 said:
In defense of the Sony side, that's somewhat a contradiction. I agree the future can't easily be predicted--which is why it's too early to say that Wii will take over in Japan. Personally, I think it will, but that's just a hunch; the "evidence" to suggest so is only the DS' success, which is in somewhat a different market than Wii anyway.

Edit: Although, granted, you're using the word "could." Hard to argue with that, I suppose.

I find it funny that the SDF is saying this considering before the PSP launch they would post the opposite, saying that the Playstation brand name in a handheld would overtake Nintendo...

What a difference 18 months makes...

koam

Fuzzy said:
If you want them translated then do it yourself.
http://www.m-create.com/jpn/s_ranking.html

Ranking Type Title Genre Manufacturer name Sale day Price
(Including tax) Sale
Number
1 PS2 ヴァルキリープロファイル 2 - シルメリア - (limited edition it includes) RPG スクウェア エニックス 060622 ¥14,910 281,510
2 DS New スーパーマリオブラザーズ ACT Nintendo Co. 060525 ¥4,800 170,168
3 DS Tohoku University future technology collaborative research center Kawasima Riyuuta professor supervision DS training of the adult who more forges the brain ETC Nintendo Co. 051229 ¥2,800 57,752
4 PS2 World soccer winning eleven 10 SPT コナミ 060427 ¥7,329 49,926
5 DS DS training of the adult who forges the Tohoku University future technology collaborative research center Kawasima Riyuuta professor supervision brain ETC Nintendo Co. 050519 ¥2,800 38,766
6 PS2 The king of Fighters eleven FTG SNK play moa 060622 ¥7,140 28,015
7 DS With it is and how it hits the forest ETC Nintendo Co. 051123 ¥4,800 27,780
8 DS DS training of the adult who is poor English it is to obtain, soaking ETC Nintendo Co. 060126 ¥3,800 24,978
9 PSP In the SONY computer science laboratory Mogi Ken Ichiro doctor supervision brain pleasant sensation アハ experience! ETC Sega 060622 ¥2,940 23,548
10 DS デジモンストーリー RPG バンダイナムコゲームス 060615 ¥5,040 21,520
11 DS Tet lith DS PZL Nintendo Co. 060427 ¥3,800
12 PS2 The door of the galaxy angel II absolute territory (limited edition it includes) SLG Broccoli 060622 ¥9,240
13 DS When the star of マジカルバケーション five lines up, RPG Nintendo Co. 060622 ¥4,800
14 PS2 Certain victory pachinko * パチスロ capture series Vol.5 CR new century エヴァンゲリオン second impact & パチスロ new century エ ヴ ァン ゲ Lyon TBL D3 publisher 060608 ¥6,279
15 DS マリオカート DS RCE Nintendo Co. 051208 ¥4,800
16 DS ポケモンレンジャー ACT ポケモン 060323 ¥4,800
17 DS Reversal judgment the reversal Best Price which revives! ADV カプコン 060615 ¥3,129
18 DS メトロイドプライム ハンターズ ACT Nintendo Co. 060601 ¥4,800
19 DS It is soft the head private school ETC Nintendo Co. 050630 ¥2,800
20 DS Puzzle series Vol.3 SUDOKU several Germany PZL Hudson 060323 ¥2,940
21 PSP World soccer winning eleventh 9 ユビキタスエヴォリƒ…ーション (PSP the Best) SPT コナミ 060427 ¥2,800
22 PSP Brain power trainer portable 2 ETC Sega 060525 ¥2,940
23 DS Expert Ganba れ っ trainer of the right brain ETC バンダイナムコゲームス 060518 ¥3,990
24 PSP It is anywhere and the っ does the ょ レッツ school! (Bundled edition it includes) ETC SCE 060615 ¥28,140
25 DS Chinese character that way the DS easy pulling dictionary ETC Nintendo Co. 060413 ¥4,800
26 PS2 Live powerful measure league SPT コナミ 060511 ¥7,329
27 PS2 ファイナルファンタジー XII (bundled edition it includes) RPG スクウェア エニックス 060316 Opening
28 DS Saintly sword legendary DS chilled connected of マナ RPG スクウェア エニックス 060302 ¥5,040
29 PSP Dragon QUEST & ファイナルファンタジー in it receives, street portable TBL スクウェア エニックス 060525 ¥5,040
30 DS Petit petit showing っ ちof cartridge っ ち ETC Bandai 050915 ¥5,040
31 PSP Large capital engineering and research official パチスロシミƒ…レーター Yoshimune portable TBL Large capital engineering and research 060608 ¥4,410
32 DS With who アソビ large all ETC Nintendo Co. 051103 ¥3,800
33 PS2 2006 FIFA world cup German conferences SPT Electronic arts 060427 ¥6,090
34 PS2 School Alice - coming and others coming and others & memory kiss - SLG Kids station 060622 ¥7,140
35 PSP Monster hunter portable ACT カプコン 051201 ¥5,040
36 PS2 Grapple beauty God military affairs dragon FTG バンダイナムコゲームス 060622 ¥7,140
37 GBA MOTHER 3 (bundled edition it includes) RPG Nintendo Co. 060420 ¥18,000
38 DS Season of metal sir moth steel RPG Success 060615 ¥5,040
39 DS NARUTO- ナルト - the strongest ninja large concentration 4DS ACT タカラトミー 060427 ¥5,040
40 DS Room DS of tea dog ETC M tea o 060427 ¥5,040
41 GBA Family Computer mini- スーパーマリオブラザーズ (resale) ACT Nintendo Co. 050913 ¥2,000
42 PSP ヴァルキリープロファイル - レナス - RPG スクウェア エニックス 060302 ¥5,040
43 PS2 Hack//G.U. Vol.1 re-誕 RPG バンダイナムコゲームス 060518 ¥7,140
44 DS Nintendogs (ニンテンドッグス) 柴 & フレンズ ETC Nintendo Co. 050421 ¥4,800
45 DS ゾイドダッシƒ… ACT タカラトミー 060615 ¥5,040
46 DS Turning, the touch panic which it can connect PZL Nintendo Co. 060525 ¥3,800
47 DS Finger pointing conversational register DS DS series 4 America of traveling ETC Nintendo Co. 060427 ¥2,800
48 DS SIMPLE DS series Vol.8 THE judgement official - urgent move! It touches incident actual place! - ADV D3 publisher 060525 ¥2,800
49 PSP Magna card portable RPG Bump rest 060525 ¥5,040
50 DS Nintendogs (ニンテンドッグス) chihuahua & フレンズ ETC Nintendo Co. 050421 ¥4,800

donny2112

1 Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria (PS2) - 281,510
2 New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) - 170,168
3 Brain Training 2 (NDS) - 57,752
4 Winning Eleven 10 (PS2) - 49,926
5 Brain Training (NDS) - 38,766
6 King of Fighters XI (PS2) 28,015
7 Animal Crossing: WW (NDS) - 27,780
8 English Training (NDS) - 24,978
9 Sony Compter Science Brain Game from Sega (PSP) - 23,548
10 Digimon Story (NDS) - 21,520
11 Tetris DS (NDS)
12 Galaxy Angel II Zettai Ryouiki no Tobira (PS2)
13 Magical Vacation 5-tsu no Hoshi ga Narabu Toki (NDS)
14 Pachislot Vol. 5 Shinseiki (PS2)
15 Mario Kart DS (NDS)
16 Pokemon Ranger (NDS)
17 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney BEST (NDS)
18 Metroid Prime: Hunters (NDS)
19 Gentle Brain Training (NDS)
20 Puzzle Series Vol. 3 SUDOKU (NDS)
21 Winning Eleven 9 BEST (PSP)
22 Portable Braing Trainer 2 (PSP)
23 - Unou no Tatsujin - Gun Bullet Trainer (NDS)
24 Doko Demo Issho Let's Gakkou! (PSP)
25 Chinese Dictionary (NDS)
26 Jikkyou Powerful Major League (PS2)
27 Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
28 Sword of Mana (NDS)
29 DQ and FF in Itadaki Street Portable (PSP)
30 Tamagotchi (NDS)
31 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachislot Simulator Yoshimune Portable (PSP)

Someone else get the rest? :)

ioi

Banned
Well I too have been playing with JpGraph with some beautifully elegant results.

For example, comparing the performance of the DS and GBA to date in terms of hardware we have:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japconscomps.php?name1=DS&name2=PS2&type=2

And clicking the various options you can also do similar comparisons for weekly figures, as well as weekly and cumulative software figures (although bear in mind these still contain gaps at present).

I have also created versions of our beloved pacman charts for both the weekly and yearly data, 2006 is looking like:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japyearly.php

Deku

Banned
ioi said:
Well I too have been playing with JpGraph with some beautifully elegant results.

For example, comparing the performance of the DS and GBA to date in terms of hardware we have:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japconscomps.php?name1=DS&name2=PS2&type=2

And clicking the various options you can also do similar comparisons for weekly figures, as well as weekly and cumulative software figures (although bear in mind these still contain gaps at present).

I have also created versions of our beloved pacman charts for both the weekly and yearly data, 2006 is looking like:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japyearly.php

That's a good service you provide. I've heard you've been accused of being flaky about your numbers. I'm not sure as to the history but I do recall this happened a few weeks ago.

Can you answer to those accusations and will that affect the integrity of your website? It might be a good idea to put up an FAQ on that issue in particular so people here won't use it as a way to disquality numbers from your site it the dicussion ever evolved into that direction. Knowing GAF, discrediting your work would probably be high on people's list if they don't like your numbers.

mj1108

donny2112 said:
1 Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria (PS2) - 281,510
2 New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) - 170,168
3 Brain Training 2 (NDS) - 57,752
4 Winning Eleven 10 (PS2) - 49,926
5 Brain Training (NDS) - 38,766
6 King of Fighters XI (PS2) 28,015
7 Animal Crossing: WW (NDS) - 27,780
8 English Training (NDS) - 24,978
9 Sony Compter Science Brain Game from Sega (PSP) - 23,548
10 Digimon Story (NDS) - 21,520
11 Tetris DS (NDS)
12 Galaxy Angel II Zettai Ryouiki no Tobira (PS2)
13 Magical Vacation 5-tsu no Hoshi ga Narabu Toki (NDS)
14 Pachislot Vol. 5 Shinseiki (PS2)
15 Mario Kart DS (NDS)
16 Pokemon Ranger (NDS)
17 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney BEST (NDS)
18 Metroid Prime: Hunters (NDS)
19 Gentle Brain Training (NDS)
20 Puzzle Series Vol. 3 SUDOKU (NDS)
21 Winning Eleven 9 BEST (PSP)
22 Portable Braing Trainer 2 (PSP)
23 - Unou no Tatsujin - Gun Bullet Trainer (NDS)
24 Doko Demo Issho Let's Gakkou! (PSP)
25 Chinese Dictionary (NDS)
26 Jikkyou Powerful Major League (PS2)
27 Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
28 Sword of Mana (NDS)
29 DQ and FF in Itadaki Street Portable (PSP)
30 Tamagotchi (NDS)
31 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachislot Simulator Yoshimune Portable (PSP)

Someone else get the rest? :)

18/30 are DS. Amazing.

Jokeropia

Deku -> ioi posted a great FAQ here explaining how he calculates his numbers and why he does it like he does, and I agree that having it on the site itself would be good.

ioi

Banned
Deku said:
That's a good service you provide. I've heard you've been accused of being flaky about your numbers. I'm not sure as to the history but I do recall this happened a few weeks ago.

Can you answer to those accusations and will that affect the integrity of your website? It might be a good idea to put up an FAQ on that issue in particular so people here won't use it as a way to disquality numbers from your site it the dicussion ever evolved into that direction. Knowing GAF, discrediting your work would probably be high on people's list if they don't like your numbers.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95061

Edit- beaten to my own post! lol

Yeah I will put a copy of that up on the site soon!

neo2046

posted?

1st day sale data (Famitsu base)
PS2 Super Dragon Ball Z - 46785 (23.2%)
PS2 Atelier Iris Grand Fantasm - 16992
PSP My Summer Vacation - 15173
X360 Chrome Hounds - 6309

super DBZ fails
just as Gundam One Year War last time

loosus

Banned
Is Dragonball Z still popular in Japan in general (i.e., merchandise, the media attention it receives, etc.)?

I'm interested in seeing how Rockman ZX fares.

Hopefully it doesn't bomb like the last two PSP games, for the sake of the traditional style Rockman at least.

neo2046 said:
posted?

1st day sale data (Famitsu base)
PS2 Super Dragon Ball Z - 46785 (23.2%)
PS2 Atelier Iris Grand Fantasm - 16992
PSP My Summer Vacation - 15173
X360 Chrome Hounds - 6309

super DBZ fails
just as Gundam One Year War last time

Well with Graw, Spectral whatever 3 and chromehounds releasing this week. I'de figure X360 would have a decent week. But damn that sucks. Lets see if it does better for the week.

BTW, whats the m-create LTD #s for 360?

ioi

Banned
Since it's always easier to visualise things graphically than see numbers, there are now some nifty software comparison graphs available on vgcharts.org:

New Super Mario Bros vs Final Fantasy XII:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Final+Fantasy+XII

Brain Training vs Tetris (original on GB):

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Brain+Training&name2=Tetris

Animal Crossing vs Dragon Quest VIII:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Animal+Crossing%3A+Wild+World&name2=Dragon+Quest+VIII

New Super Mario Bros vs Animal Crossing:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Animal+Crossing%3A+Wild+World

And to show just how amazingly NSMB has done:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Super+Mario+Advance

Top Bottom