• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create July 18-24

Link1110

OK, I didn't see a thread on this this week yet, so I'll do the honors.

1 - PS2 - Basara
2 - PS2 - Powerful Pro Baseball 12
3 - GCN - Super Mario Stadium Miracle Baseball
4 - PS2 - Full Metal Alchamest 3
5 - DS - Yawaraka Atama ??
6 - DS - Yugioh Nightmare Troubador
7 - GBA - Mushi King
8 - PS2 - Sarugettchi (Ape Escape) 3
9 - GBA - Bleach Advance
10 - DS - Adult Brain Training

Hardware

DS 41,982
PS2 25,980
PSP 19,043
GBASP 10,935
GC 2,995
GBA 397
Xbox 163

callous

Guy LeDouche said:
not too hard to believe.

hardware doesn't sell without software.

Uhm.

Doesn't seem to be holding Americans back, and it sure as fuck didn't hold people back on the PS2.

Kano

Banned
callous said:
I can't believe PSP is taking this much of a beating. Ouch.

It evens out. PSP is cleaning shop in the US. With the European launch, where Sony reigns, the PSP will be the one delivering the beatdown by the end of this year. There's no question that Nintendo is on the verge of seeing the DS rendered inconsequential very soon.

callous

Kano said:
There's no question that Nintendo is on the verge of seeing the DS rendered inconsequential very soon.

That's what my prediction was last year too, but I'm no longer so sure. Yes, Sony has complete domination with PS2 here in Europe, but I don't think that will necessarily translate into a PSP frenzy as well. Nintendo is synonymous with handhelds here (as in the rest of the world), and PSP is going to come out at almost twice the price of the DS. I think Europe's going to be very interesting.

Kano

Banned
callous said:
That's what my prediction was last year too, but I'm no longer so sure. Yes, Sony has complete domination with PS2 here in Europe, but I don't think that will necessarily translate into a PSP frenzy as well. Nintendo is synonymous with handhelds here (as in the rest of the world), and PSP is going to come out at almost twice the price of the DS. I think Europe's going to be very interesting.

That's the thing, though. It doesn't need to translate into a frenzy. The PSP has cemented itself as the leading handheld in the US. Barring some unforseen disaster, the DS will not resume its place at the top. Sony only needs to sell at an above average rate in Europe to push the PSP's worldwide take above the DS'. I think they stand a very good chance of doing just that. Maybe you're right. I know Nintendo won't relent without a fight. They take handheld gaming far more seriously than they do the console market.

Zeo

Banned
Kano said:
The PSP has cemented itself as the leading handheld in the US. Barring some unforseen disaster, the DS will not resume its place at the top.

You're kidding right? PSP could overtake DS in Japan and DS could EASILY overtake PSP in a few months.

Lack of PSP games + big DS games = duh.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Zeo said:
You're kidding right? PSP could overtake DS in Japan and DS could EASILY overtake PSP in a few months.

Lack of PSP games + big DS games = duh.

I really don't care one way or another, but unless I'm mistaken there is a Grand Theft Auto game coming out for PSP which pretty much cements its position as #1 in US. No amount of Pokemon can fight that.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Schafer said:
I really don't care one way or another, but unless I'm mistaken there is a Grand Theft Auto game coming out for PSP which pretty much cements its position as #1 in US. No amount of Pokemon can fight that.

I'd imagine a certain ammount of online Pokemon could very well fight that. Pokemon still owns portable space.

mj1108

Schafer said:

You forget the handheld market and console market are two completely different kinds of markets.... Yes, GTA will sell well without a doubt, but it's not going to sell 4 million at launch.

G4life98

Schafer said:

have you not seen the pokemon domination in the handheld sector for nearly a decade, so while gta will be a system mover nodoubt...to say it will totally cancel out pokemonn is just silly.

Mrbob

mj1108 said:
You forget the handheld market and console market are two completely different kinds of markets.... Yes, GTA will sell well without a doubt, but it's not going to sell 4 million at launch.

Neither did GTA3.

Kano said:
the PSP will be the one delivering the beatdown by the end of this year. There's no question that Nintendo is on the verge of seeing the DS rendered inconsequential very soon.

I think that's a pretty ignorant thing to say.

If these people had taste and knew what was coming, they'd definitely get the DS, especially after seeing both's line-up after E3.

Just like in Japan, PSP started selling like crazy for three months. Then what happened? No worthy games came out and DS got a couple new colors, Nintendogs, and other games that people wanted.

I think the U.S. market is more casual/uninformed than that, though, but PSP hasn't had a good release since Hot Shots Golf: Open-Tee in mid-May. And with the reviews of Death Jr. so far, it looks like it will extend into September.

I fully expect the U.S. to wake up like the Japanese did once a possible break-out hit in Nintendogs comes out, as well as Advance Wars: Dual Strike and other good releases soon. It doesn't take a moron to look in a gaming magazine for four months straight and see that one console has gotten mediocre games while the other is starting to pick up. Once people started seeing the GCN get only one review a month compared to the others people could probably tell the Xbox was the better bet.

Guy LeDouche said:
not too hard to believe.

hardware doesn't sell without software.

There were actually two or three games released the last week. They just didn't sell.

@Kano
That's the thing, though. It doesn't need to translate into a frenzy. The PSP has cemented itself as the leading handheld in the US.

Can you explain how you can cement anything before you even have it? The DS actually leads in the USA with about 300-500k.

Barring some unforseen disaster, the DS will not resume its place at the top.

Nintendogs, Madden, Advance Wars etc. are all coming out in August, the overall lineup from August 22th on looks REALLY impressive and Nintendo consoles/handhelds tend to sell very, very good around christmas. It is absolutely possible that the DS will not only hold it's leading position, but also lead the monthly sales atleast a few of the last 5 month(July of course is definitely lost).

Sony only needs to sell at an above average rate in Europe to push the PSP's worldwide take above the DS'.

They don't need "an above average rate", they need a WONDER to gain the worldwide lead in the next let's say 9-12 months. In Japan alone the DS leads with about 1.15m(and it's quite sure that this lead will grow quite fast), in Europe there were 1m units sold through at about 20th of June, which means that it'll perhaps be anywhere between 1.3 and 1.7m when PSP launches. And even in the USA the DS actually leads with about 300-500k which just makes it quite impossible for the PSP the gain the worldwide lead in the next months.

@Schafer

I'm quite sure that even Pokemon Emerald will sell more units in the USA than GTA PSP will do - not to mention a probably online enabled Pokemon D/P!

Hero

I like how people think that console game sales will equate to handheld game sales. If this were true, wouldn't Dynasty Warriors, Hot Shots Golf, and Metal Gear put similar numbers to their console counterparts?

I'm not saying it's impossible that GTA PSP will cause a sales explosion, but betting that GTA PSP will do more for the PSP than Pokemon D/P does for DS is just fucking stupid.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Link1110 said:

Damn. Even though Mario Baseball sales were pretty damn good, they weren't good enough to push more than the original units.

And why the hell does everyone think the DS will be 'inconsequential' by the end of the year. Console sales do not translate to handheld sales. It's a fucking wonder how it's selling in Japan as it is.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think some people here forgot about what games are coming out for the PSP with-in September and after.

Krowley

I think the 360 will be more in competition with the psp this christmas than it will the DS and that could make a big difference in how the US numbers end up, plus the american DS game lineup is about to improve drasticly. my guess would be that sony can't close the worldwide gap this christmas, and they might even lose ground. The pricing on the psp will put it too close to the price of the new xbox.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Monorojo said:
The Ds Pokemon game wont be out til atleast 2006 here anyway, it will likely be too late to change things.

toll39bo.png

Link1110

I'm not saying it's impossible that GTA PSP will cause a sales explosion, but betting that GTA PSP will do more for the PSP than Pokemon D/P does for DS is just fucking stupid.

Yes, GTA will have big sales in the US and cause a PSP explosion here most likely, but Pokemon is still big and will do that worldwide.

I think some people here forgot about what games are coming out for the PSP with-in September and after.

Here's the ones I know of

GTA, Madden - Will sell huge in america, but are not the major movers in Japan that they are here.

Tengai Makyou 4 - The best game on either of the handhelds, hands down. That said, the TM series is waining in popularity in Japan majorly (TM2 and 3 didn't sell too well.)

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Another awesome game for PSP, if a flawed one (and if they fix those flaws in the remake it'll be beyond awesome.) I don't know how well the SMT series sells in Japan though or if it's really a system mover, but I'd guess you'll see somewhat of a sales spike for it.

Final Fantasy 7 Offshoot (Not the movie) - If the rest of the FF7 games do well, so will this one. We don't really have too much data yet on that, but it DOES have the FF name and will probably sell a million (Did any PSP game in Japan sell a million yet, I don't know.) Probably another sales spike.

FF7 AC - I don't know how well UMD movies are doing in Japan, but given the choice between a DVD and UMD movie, I'd have to choose the DVD that I can watch on my regular TV.

Ys 6, Breath of Fire 3 - Again, I'm not sure of the popularity of these in Japan, I'll probably get them, but everyone is not me, we'll know soon enough I guess.

Bleach 2 - Well, the first one and the GBA one sold, but I don't know if we'll see a system sales spike for this because most of the people that would buy a system for it already have it for the first one.

btrboyev

DS is still ahead in the US, and will sell on par with psp or better through the holidays, the DS lineup is a bit better than the psp this fall. I realy don't see GTA being the seller like it is on a handheld like it is on the home consoles.

Zeo

Banned
Schafer said:

Haha, sorry, but that's crazy. Have you seen Pokemon Emerald's sales?

GTA in absolutely no way cements its position as #1 here. GTA on PSP will NOT have the same outcome as GTA on PS2, while it will be a huge hit. PSP needs more than that.

jman2050

There are people STILL dismissing pokemon's potential selling power. Morons like this still exist? *shakes head in shame* hopefully the numbers will convince those people otherwise, though I suppose some are a lost cause.

Mupepe

Banned
Hey guys, wait til the Xbox starts selling more in Japan than the PSP! LOL AM I RITE?? uhhhh, didn't we already see this stuff?

Top Bottom