• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create: May 3-9, 2010

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
iifu said:
It helps that Nintendo keeps marketing these games like they were released last week. New Tomodachi Collection commercials: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ccuj/movies/tvcm.html

Nintendo is a cruel mistress though. Aside from its major titles, they seem to give everything else minimal advertising and leave most titles to die unless they somehow pick up steam...then Nintendo gets on board.

duckroll

schuelma said:
Thanks for pointing that out.....probably underselling things when I call it a simple port. I guess without being from Japan I can't really tell how popular the arcade version currently is and the initial impression of the title left me thinking this was more niche than something like DQ:S.

Well, I could easily be wrong. But I definitely feel that the direction S-E is pushing the game is very different from DQS. Ultimately, DQS is just a single player game, with no community functions or multiplayer. I think we're all aware now that in Japan on the Wii, regular single player only games have a hard time selling. Tapping into multiplayer and a community system is definitely the right direction and should pay off imo.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
schuelma said:
Nintendo is a cruel mistress though. Aside from its major titles, they seem to give everything else minimal advertising and leave most titles to die unless they somehow pick up steam...then Nintendo gets on board.

Why would the invest much marketing money in niche titles which probably wouldnt sell gangbusters even with mayor marketing effort ? At the end its all about makin money.....

cw_sasuke said:
Why would the invest much marketing money in niche titles which probably wouldnt sell gangbusters even with mayor marketing effort ? At the end its all about makin money.....

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that they could invest a little more in marketing those titles and in better targetting their marketing. A game like, say, Sin and Punishment 2 or Zangeki no Reginleiv is never going to be a big seller, but perhaps with something a touch more extravagant than demo pods and mail-out demo discs, and with more promotion of the games earlier they could have performed better.

Sohter.Nura said:
Nintendo might not be winning third parties left and right, but they sure as hell know how to sell their own software o_O

Well sure.
They do the two things that third parties can't do.

1. They make software that appeal to a wide variety of people.
2. Advertise it to hell and back.

Road said:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/1234957_1134.html
http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/hard/1234962_1140.html

They posted in the weekend. It is annoying because, whenever they post the newest top 30, the links for the previous top 30 disappear. =\
If you need it : http://www.gamescharts.fr/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/2010f17.pdf (here is my archive page)

I made some graphics with the Famitsu data. The original article is here (in french).

gaf05graph01.png

gaf05graph02.png

gaf05graph03.png

gaf05graph04.png

gaf05graph05.png

gaf05graph06.png

duckroll said:
Potentially >200k LTD titles:

- Another Century's Episode R PS3
- Xenoblade Wii (10 June)
- LovePlus+ DS (24 June)
- White Knight Chronicles 2 PS3 (8 July)
- Sengoku Basara 3 PS3 (29 July)

If this ends up getting released over the Summer like the articles have suggested, I can see it selling between 200k and 400k.

duckroll

distantmantra said:
If this ends up getting released over the Summer like the articles have suggested, I can see it selling between 200k and 400k.

I'm not including anything without a release date obviously, otherwise I would include the upcoming PSP Tales game too. But I don't think ACE:R will sell 200k, but it should do over 100k. 400k is impossible.

duckroll said:
I'm not including anything without a release date obviously, otherwise I would include the upcoming PSP Tales game too. But I don't think ACE:R will sell 200k, but it should do over 100k. 400k is impossible.

How did Gundam 0081 do? I figure it would have similar numbers.

duckroll

distantmantra said:
How did Gundam 0081 do? I figure it would have similar numbers.

233k LTD. And that's a real Gundam story with animated scenes, and characters, etc. On the PS2, ACE sold 250k, ACE2 sold 180k and ACE3 sold 230k. I don't see ACE:R doing better than any of those, with a much weaker lineup and no vocal BGM.

Fularu

Banned
distantmantra said:

Why would it do it on PS3 when they can't on DS and PSP?

Vinci

Danish
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Nintendo is apparently making an entire forest, one evergreen at a time.

Accurate way of putting it. Has there ever been a Top 10 with nothing but Nintendo titles in it? You'd think with all of these, it would have happened at some point.

Fularu

Banned
Vinci said:
Accurate way of putting it. Has there ever been a Top 10 with nothing but Nintendo titles in it? You'd think with all of these, it would have happened at some point.

A few times actually

Fularu said:
Why would it do it on PS3 when they can't on DS and PSP?

Huh? There's never been an ACE game on either the DS or PSP.

edit: Super Robot Wars and Another Century's Episode are totally different.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Vinci said:

they had 29/30 one week :p

Fularu

Banned
duckroll said:
What are you talking about?

I went with SRW sales (I thought it was SRW OG mistakes happen :p), if we go by just ACE sales (on ps2) none broke 300k (tops at 260k).

The point still stands, why would it be able to do 400k on the PS3?

lupinko

Fularu said:
I went with SRW sales (I thought it was SRW OG mistakes happen :p), if we go by just ACE sales (on ps2) none broke 300k (tops at 260k).

sorry.gif

Not really related, but iirc PS2 SRWs just do about 500k @ launch and then drop off.

linsivvi

duckroll said:
Why did you add a game I already listed... :/

Edit: I don't think the GTA DLC pack will sell anything close to 100k honestly. It's almost a full priced release. Honestly, I don't expect much from Lost Planet 2 either. Feels like there's zero hype, and it's going to bomb out at 50k or so. The sports stuff are good calls though.

Well when I tried the Lost Planet 2 demo a couple days ago, there were tons of Japanese players. So I guess it depends on how the shooter crowd receive the demo.

duckroll

Fularu said:

I don't think it'll do 400k at all. Not even close. I was just wondering why you would compare it with DS and PSP when there has never been an ACE game on those platforms.

duckroll said:
Potentially >100k LTD titles:

- Lord of Elemental DS (27 May)
- Ghost Trick DS (24 June)
- Atelier Totori PS3 (24 June)
- Last Ranker PSP (15 July)
- Fate/Extra PSP (22 July)

Potentially >200k LTD titles:

- Xenoblade Wii (10 June)
- LovePlus+ DS (24 June)
- White Knight Chronicles 2 PS3 (8 July)
- Sengoku Basara 3 PS3 (29 July)

Big Title Incoming (over 500k LTD):

- Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii (27 May)
- Inazuma Eleven 3 DS (1 July)
- Dragon Quest Monster Battle Road Victory Wii (15 July)

So you expect Basara 3 to sell more than 2-1 on the PS3 compared to the Wii? Why? Isn't the Wii version like 1000 to 1500Y cheaper? Also the userbase difference and, IIRC, Basara 3 apparently appeals more to the women demographics and I don't see the ratio being that large.

schuelma

AranhaHunter said:
So you expect Basara 3 to sell more than 2-1 on the PS3 compared to the Wii? Why? Isn't the Wii version like 1000 to 1500Y cheaper? Also the userbase difference and, IIRC, Basara 3 apparently appeals more to the women demographics and I don't see the ratio being that large.

The userbase for this type of game seems to be on the PS3 already. Add to that absolutely no reason to get it on the Wii, the only real appeal I see this having is on Wii only owners and females that don't own a PS3. I expect a pretty big discrepancy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
slaughterking said:
I think there's a misunderstanding. You're talking about 1st party Nintendo software and Stumpokapow about games on Nintendo platforms.

ahahah, yeah, I was wondering why he even asked the question but reading it as meaning 1st party software makes so much more sense. I guess I'm having a bit of a stupid day.

Provider

Sammy Samusu said:
Animal Crossing is not "casual". :'(

Didn't you hear the news? Every Nintendo game is casual now. Actually, Sports games are casual now also arcade racers, every sim, animal crossing, 2D marios, etc.

schuelma said:
The userbase for this type of game seems to be on the PS3 already. Add to that absolutely no reason to get it on the Wii, the only real appeal I see this having is on Wii only owners and females that don't own a PS3. I expect a pretty big discrepancy.

You don't think the 1000-1500Y price difference will make a difference for budget conscious folks?

schuelma

AranhaHunter said:
You don't think the 1000-1500Y price difference will make a difference for budget conscious folks?

Not really. But what do I know...just completely guessing based on the much stronger sales for musou games on the PS3.

Frillen

There's been a handfull of times that Nintendo occupied the whole top 10. Nintendo's record for top 50 is 45/50 (m-create).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The_lascar said:
Either there's something off with that chart, or Super Mario Kart was stuck at almost 4 million before it even launched. :lol

Same deal with SMB.

If you were just using those lines as benchmarks, there's likely a better way to denote that. :p

jay

XiaNaphryz said:
Either there's something off with that chart, or Super Mario Kart was stuck at almost 4 million before it even launched. :lol

Same deal with SMB.

If you were just using those lines as benchmarks, there's likely a better way to denote that. :p

Both games sold their full lifetime amount on day one and zero copies after.

Haunted

No new games in the Top 10.

And wtf at Inazuma Eleven 3 already coming out in July when we don't even have the first one over here. Shameful, Level-5, shameful.

selig

Banned
Spoilerish question about the Inazuma Eleven-games (I only watch the anime):

Do they really play soccer against aliens in the games, too? :/

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Sammy Samusu said:
Animal Crossing is not "casual". :'(
I think it's the very definition of casual; although I think that COD4 MW2, Halo and U2 are all casual games (and I don't think it is a bad thing... trying to please the masses is just that)

Top Bottom