Media Create Numbers - 9/13-9/19: OMFG @ Pokemon Emerald

Jun 7, 2004
31,867
1
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
#1
1. (GameBoy Advance - Pokemon) Pokemon Emerald - 790,527 / new
2. (PlayStation 2 - Koei) Sengoku Musou Mushouden - 196,275 / new
3. (PlayStation 2 - Square Enix) Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia - 104,144 / new
4. (PlayStation 2 - Capcom) BioHazard Outbreak File 2 - 29,889 / 121,096
5. (PlayStation 2 - Konami) Prince of Tennis: Saikyou Team o Kessei Seyo! - 27,332 / new
6. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers 2 - 20,692 / 206,391
7. (PlayStation 2 - Atlus) Kowloon Youma Gakuen Ki (incl. Limited Edition) - 20,113 / new
8. (PlayStation 2 - Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 8 - 14,941 / 1,045,739
9. (PlayStation 2 - Koei) Angelique Etoile (incl. Limited Edition) - 13,909 / new
10. (PlayStation 2 - Sammy) Jissen Pachislot: Fist of the North Star - 12,952 / unknown

1. (Nintendo) GameBoy Advance SP - 68,014 / 1,837,035
2. (Sony) PlayStation 2 - 28,340 / 1,806,987
3. (Nintendo) GameCube - 4,976 / 475,961
4. (Nintendo) GameBoy Advance - 1,527 / 183,064
5. (Microsoft) Xbox - 326 / 25,308
6. (Sony) PSone - 70 / 13,264
7. (Bandai) Swan Crystal - 19 / 6,757
 
Jun 7, 2004
10,935
0
0
32
Edmond, Oklahoma
#8
Holy crap, didn't someone say this wouldn't sell on par to half of its counterparts sales? Seems like it smashed it.

What about R/B/Y though? What did they make in their first week? Also, what could have possibly given it such a boost? :p The price drop of the SP?
 

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Jun 18, 2004
49,330
0
1,550
#9
DarthWufei said:
Holy crap, didn't someone say this wouldn't sell on par to half of its counterparts sales? Seems like it smashed it.

What about R/B/Y though? What did they make in their first week? Also, what could have possibly given it such a boost? :p The price drop of the SP?
Bingo
 

xsarien

daedsiluap
Jun 6, 2004
15,366
17
1,465
Here
#17
Gen.Wedge said:
DOES NINTENDO NOT GET THE HINT THAT THEY NEED TO RELEASE A TRADITIONAL POKEMON RPG FOR GAMECUBE? :mad
They're probably working feverishly on a DS Pokemon game, they've gotta seal some kind of lead on the PSP while they have an opportunity.
 

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Jun 9, 2004
38,485
0
0
40
NJ, USA
#22
Those are some pretty ridiculous numbers.

And no, it's not likely that a console RPG (that doesn't have a true online infrastructure) would work nearly as well as the handheld games do, as far as connectivity is concerned. Sure, there's always the whole swapping memory cards thing, but that isn't nearly as easy or accessible as linking up two GBAs... or now with the new games, using the wireless adaptor.
 

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jun 6, 2004
23,074
0
1,565
36
Nara, Japan
www.bookofrevenant.com
#25
Gen.Wedge said:
DOES NINTENDO NOT GET THE HINT THAT THEY NEED TO RELEASE A TRADITIONAL POKEMON RPG FOR GAMECUBE? :mad
The portability is the key.
The trading, the battling, that's cool. But it can be done portably.
Only pokemon RPG I wanna see is a MMORPG.
 

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Jun 9, 2004
38,485
0
0
40
NJ, USA
#28
I sure as hell did. Both. I have all of the Pokemon RPGs. Hell, I have practically every singel US released Pokemon game. Only missing Channel and Hey You Pikachu, two titles that have NO place in my collection.
 
Jun 7, 2004
74,677
2
1,405
#32
Mrbob said:
Half the allure (Maybe most?) of Pokemon is being portable....

Anyway, looks like Pokemon gave GBA the yearly lead back over PS2.
The PS2 has been second all year. The GBA SP model and PS2 are the ones switching back and forth. I imagine this will change once PSTwo comes out, as there's only two kinda big games left for the GBA this year.
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
43,347
1
0
#36
I still don't own a single pokemon game. I don't know how this happened, as I am a massive Nintendo fan. I never kind of viewed it as a conventional nintendo franchise..it just always seemed to be this thing out on its own for me. I'll pick one up some day soon..though I wouldn't know where to start now with all the different varieties (that I hear aren't THAT much different from one another).

But wow @ figures. I know it was said pre-GC too (especially after that pokemon GC demo at Spaceworld 2000), but lord knows Nintendo would be wise to get a pokemon game out for Revolution's launch. Preferably a deep rpg that takes advantage of whatever Revolution has.
 
Jun 8, 2004
12,214
4
0
New Jersey
#40
AniHawk said:
The PS2 has been second all year. The GBA SP model and PS2 are the ones switching back and forth. I imagine this will change once PSTwo comes out, as there's only two kinda big games left for the GBA this year.
Not really, the GBA has only sold 183k this year and the discrepancy between the PS2 & the GBA was quite a bit more than that until recently. However, it's clear that the GBA will go onto monster numbers from here on out. I don't know if DQVII will be able to cause enough of a sales spike to offset that.
 
Jun 7, 2004
74,677
2
1,405
#43
sonycowboy said:
Not really, the GBA has only sold 183k this year and the discrepancy between the PS2 & the GBA was quite a bit more than that until recently. However, it's clear that the GBA will go onto monster numbers from here on out. I don't know if DQVII will be able to cause enough of a sales spike to offset that.
What do you mean "not really?" MrBob is talking about a lead of about 30k for just the SP model, and I don't ever remember there being a 150k-200k gap between the SP and PS2. The GBA in Japan sells its best in the holiday season (last year it came back to outsell the PS2), but I doubt it will repeat, with only The Minish Cap and Kingdom Hearts left on the system, the PS2 getting a new model, GT4, and DQVIII, and the DS releasing as well.
 
Jun 6, 2004
25,732
1
0
#44
sonycowboy said:
Not really, the GBA has only sold 183k this year and the discrepancy between the PS2 & the GBA was quite a bit more than that until recently.
Untrue... GBA/GBASP have never been behind PS2 cumulatively for this entire year in Japan. This isn't some recent phenomenon.
 
Jun 12, 2004
3,032
0
0
Ohi-uh
#45
This Pokeymon fad ain't gonna swing when it comes to America. It's too Japanese and weird. Americans like the ordinary, like potatoes and kittens. Japanese like the odd, like flying toilets and hamster piercing.
 
Jun 16, 2004
7,348
0
0
#46
The no Pokemon GC reasons are BS. Okay it may not sell as much as the handheld versions but there's no doubt it would be one of the GCs top sellers. I'd place money on it being the top seller (given enough time, if not, faster seller).

And why is portability the key? The part of the Pokemon gameplay that hasn't made it onto a console yet is the whole single player rpg element, not the multiplayer battling. And if there ever was a game made for trading saves between a handheld and a console it's Pokemon.
 
Jun 6, 2004
5,750
0
0
texas
#47
Die Squirrel Die said:
The no Pokemon GC reasons are BS. Okay it may not sell as much as the handheld versions but there's no doubt it would be one of the GCs top sellers. I'd place money on it being the top seller (given enough time, if not, faster seller).

And why is portability the key? The part of the Pokemon gameplay that hasn't made it onto a console yet is the whole single player rpg element, not the multiplayer battling. And if there ever was a game made for trading saves between a handheld and a console it's Pokemon.
I think the whole play-anywhere-anytime thing is also appealing...

I mean, it kinda goes with the whole "pocket monsters" theme that you could play a game that fits in your pocket and pick it up anytime.

No doubt a massive console-based version would be cool and attract a lot of buyers, but IMO the major focus of the series works better as a handheld game anyway...

The collecting/trading made Pokemon a phenomenom, but other RPG's have done well on the GBA also, it's just a great genre fit for portable systems IMO (since you could accumulate playing time in pockets of minutes here and minutes there, especially for the leveling up thing). Who wouldn't want to do leveling up for Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts on the go and do the long battles/dungeons when they get home.

RPG + GBA = great fit.

I'm not disagreeing Cube Pokemon (as a massive RPG) would do great, but if Nintendo's got limited resources for the franchise, they effort to push the handheld aspect works better off them them (although it's just an excuse, as I'm sure they could find a way to develop one somehow).
 
Jun 16, 2004
7,348
0
0
#48
efralope said:
I think the whole play-anywhere-anytime thing is also appealing...

I mean, it kinda goes with the whole "pocket monsters" theme that you could play a game that fits in your pocket and pick it up anytime.

No doubt a massive console-based version would be cool and attract a lot of buyers, but IMO the major focus of the series works better as a handheld game anyway...

The collecting/trading made Pokemon a phenomenom, but other RPG's have done well on the GBA also, it's just a great genre fit for portable systems IMO (since you could accumulate playing time in pockets of minutes here and minutes there, especially for the leveling up thing). Who wouldn't want to do leveling up for Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts on the go and do the long battles/dungeons when they get home.

RPG + GBA = great fit.

I'm not disagreeing Cube Pokemon (as a massive RPG) would do great, but if Nintendo's got limited resources for the franchise, they effort to push the handheld aspect works better off them them (although it's just an excuse, as I'm sure they could find a way to develop one somehow).
I could say the major focus of Outrun2/Daytona works better as an arcade game but doesn't mean I don't want a home conversion of them.

And limited resources? Okay Nintendo may like that they can spend peanuts on Pokemon, sell it twice over and still rake in money hand over fist, but that doesn't mean that Pokemon games have to be made on a budget. And it's not saying that they should stop making handheld ones. It's that if Nintendo were to invest in a proper full console Pokemon that they would reap benefits at least on par with their other console efforts (profit margin wise) and most probably well in advance of them (in both game and console sales).

It's not even about handheld vs console. It's about Nintendo not utilising one of their biggest franchise properly to help promote their console business.
 
Jun 6, 2004
25,732
1
0
#49
I think DS is more likely to get Pokemon Stadium/Colosseum type game actually. It could just interface with existing Ru/Sa/Em/FR/LG carts and allow wireless (maybe online) 3D battling... makes sense and it'd allow Nintendo/GameFreak to get it out quicker than a full DS Pokemon game.
 
Jun 7, 2004
14,948
0
1,340
#50
Die Squirrel Die said:
And why is portability the key? The part of the Pokemon gameplay that hasn't made it onto a console yet is the whole single player rpg element, not the multiplayer battling. And if there ever was a game made for trading saves between a handheld and a console it's Pokemon.
Well, it has (PokeCol has a short, terrible SP mode), but regardless of 'why', portability is the Game Freak company line right now. Actually, here's the interview quote:

"How players communicate with each other has been key to the Pokemon games - it is the backbone of all Pokemon game designs. I feel that the handheld systems work better than the home-based consoles. It's certainly possible to come up with concepts for home-based consoles, but we might then have to change the core of the game."
(clipped from the Game Freak interview in Prima's 'Pokedex Collector's Edition')