• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/09 - 03/15

RpgN

cvxfreak said:
I like how the PS3 outselling the Wii on certain weeks is now (for how long, I'm not sure) considered fairly normal activity. I've liked the PS3 much more than the Wii for the last few months, so this is nice to see.

I think it has been 3 weeks straight, people will tell you here it's because of games like Yakuza 3, RES5 etc while the wii had/has nothing. Still it's a nice performance. I wonder if next week it will decline again and wii takes the throne.

gtj1092

bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: 03/09 - 03/15

01. [PS3] Musou Orochi Z (Koei) - 104,000 / NEW

An old multi-ported game with no improvements.

bttb said:
29. [PS3] Demon's Souls (SCE) - 5,700 / 88,000

A game sent to die with no marketing with a poor intial shipment.

On a userbase of less than 3 million. Maybe it just is what it is?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
RpgN said:
I think it has been 3 weeks straight, people will tell you here it's because of games like Yakuza 3, RES5 etc while the wii had/has nothing. Still it's a nice performance. I wonder if next week it will decline again and wii takes the throne.

I think it probably has one more week in it, maybe two?

LM4sure

Banned
RpgN said:

As long as there are no quality Wii games releasing, the PS3 should continue to outsell the Wii. So that might be for a while. I'm not sure when the next big Wii title is releasing.

t3nmilez said:
I'm always amazed at how dedicated the Musou fanbase is though. I mean, despite more or less releasing the same game over and over again with some minor improvements with each one, the sales numbers are pretty consistent.

obviously you don't play sports games

KGKK

Banned
I still can't get over the fuck up Sony did early on the PS3's lifespan in Japan. If they got those RPG's that the 360 have in the beginning just imagine where they would have been now. Which is why I don't get SE's plan either them waiting for the userbase to grow in Japan to release FFXIII yet not releasing any games for it and releasing them for the 360.

womfalcs3

Banned
schuelma said:
I think it probably has one more week in it, maybe two?

Won't Advent Children have an effect? It's being advertised for PS3 in Japan, and it's not going to be released until mid-April.

schuelma

womfalcs3 said:
Won't Advent Children have an effect? It's being advertised for PS3 in Japan, and it's not going to be released until mid-April.

Yeah it will, but that's not for another month. I believe on the same day is the MH G/MH Tri Demo for Wii.

Replicant

KGKK said:
I still can't get over the fuck up Sony did early on the PS3's lifespan in Japan. If they got those RPG's that the 360 have in the beginning just imagine where they would have been now. Which is why I don't get SE's plan either them waiting for the userbase to grow in Japan to release FFXIII yet not releasing any games for it and releasing them for the 360.

That makes the two of us. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Japan loves their RPGs. But Sony chose to bombard them with FPS?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Doc Evils said:
So was Star Ocean 4 really the last hope?
There may be more but yea, it didn't move the units they would have liked (Pretty sure they had a loftier sales forecast for this one).

Replicant said:
That makes the two of us. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Japan loves their RPGs. But Sony chose to bombard them with FPS?

Sony were thinking globally, in which case FPS/TPSs for the western market >> JRPGs for the Japanese market.

Outside of FF and DQ how many JRPG franchises are really big sellers? Hell, these days a console JRPG selling more than 300k is considered a big success.

LiquidMetal14

NPD's today, you can feel it. Can't wait to see Star Ocean numbers. I would think it broke at least 200k (Maybe).

Replicant

Die Squirrel Die said:
Sony were thinking globally, in which case FPS/TPSs for the western market >> JRPGs for the Japanese market.

Are there really that many FPS players in western market? I mean, if I have to guess, FPS players are probably bigger in numbers than JRPG players. But surely it can't be that big that the majority of their focus has to be on FPSs. What I'm trying to say is diversification is the best thing to do but I feel that Sony is a bit FPS focused this gen. I'm grateful when I get something like Uncharted, Flower, and SIREN but for rare gems like those, there's always one FPS to go with it.

PS3 is beating Wii. PSP is beating DSi. Nintendomination is over, welcome back the previous King, may he rule forever!

Also, Rittai Picross sure pulled some nice numbers considering that horrendous opening day. It's great, so I hope it does well.

SEGA foolishly underestimated initial demand on 7D, and now that the stock is out there, the used copies are already chewing it up. Sad.

Kenka

Segata Sanshiro said:
PS3 is beating Wii. PSP is beating DSi. Nintendomination is over, welcome back the previous King, may he rule forever!

Also, Rittai Picross sure pulled some nice numbers considering that horrendous opening day. It's great, so I hope it does well.

SEGA foolishly underestimated initial demand on 7D, and now that the stock is out there, the used copies are already chewing it up. Sad.

Can't wait for the eventual Microsoft crowning :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RpgN said:
cvxfreak said:
I like how the PS3 outselling the Wii on certain weeks is now (for how long, I'm not sure) considered fairly normal activity. I've liked the PS3 much more than the Wii for the last few months, so this is nice to see.
Pretty much. You can look back on previous years and see similar things during big PS3 release weeks. The real indicator will be a few weeks down the road when sales tail off and then stabilize again.

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:

I cannot say that this is true. Even if it IS supply constrained, it can't be true that Sega underestimated the demand on 7D. This is because before the release of the game, it was stated by 熱血店員 on 2ch (he's the same guy that openly viral markets tons of DS RPGs and stuff, and posts lots of detailed gameplay info and answers fan questions on 2ch) that Sega was looking at initial sales of 100k, and a lifetime of about 150k at least. The reasons stated by his Sega contact is that they're looking at the performance of EO/EO2, and they hope that 7D will build on that fanbase that Niinou had created.

With this in mind it's clear that Sega knew exactly what was up, and was shipping accordingly. The only explanation I have for the constrained demand might be that Sega is artificially stalling some shipments to prolong the word of mouth and excitement of the game.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Same thing every year; 4 weeks the PS3 beats the Wii, then it falls back to sub-10.000 and we start the "OMG, IT'S OVER 9000!!!"

spwolf

KGKK said:

they tried their magic wand but it didnt work, so they had to settle for long development times :D

spwolf

Segata Sanshiro said:

nice try :D

but what do you expect? same people that reported how PS3 was huge failure will now report how Wii is dropping vs PS3 which is woa awesome.

If in June, Wii outsells PS3, PS3 will become failure again. There is no journalistic integrity left so we shouldnt look for it.

LiquidMetal14

spwolf said:
nice try :D

but what do you expect? same people that reported how PS3 was huge failure will now report how Wii is dropping vs PS3 which is woa awesome.

If in June, Wii outsells PS3, PS3 will become failure again. There is no journalistic integrity left so we shouldnt look for it.
This is true. Only fanboy baiting and gibberish.

spwolf

gantz85 said:
That's a great question.

probably... which means 15% of sales for GT5P in Japan were digital downloads (lets account for some copies in stock still). Thats in Japan where PSN version was released ahead of others in months, and many people from europe and NA bought it over JPN PSN.
Plus, unlike Europe and rest of the world, everyone in Japan has cc and super fast internet

So I am not sure if thats good number or not.

Rolf NB

Replicant said:
Namco's and Square's and Tri-Ace's combined levels of stupidity this gen were impossible to predict when it mattered (=a couple years ago).
Each of them thought "We'll let all the other publishers take the PS3 through its growth phase and reap the benefits later. Meanwhile we send our IPs to die on the Xbox".

I think Japanese execs are just now beginning to understand American-style make-believe tactics.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Segata Sanshiro said:

:lol , no..

anyway , am I the only one who think that SEGA need to bring new Handheld system right now , Japan market can accept 3rd Handheld system right now , SEGA TOYS can produce it and our Studios can support it wonderfully .

spwolf said:
probably... which means 15% of sales for GT5P in Japan were digital downloads (lets account for some copies in stock still). Thats in Japan where PSN version was released ahead of others in months, and many people from europe and NA bought it over JPN PSN.
Plus, unlike Europe and rest of the world, everyone in Japan has cc and super fast internet

So I am not sure if thats good number or not.

620,000 for a demo in japan only and for PS3 and you are not sure ?

Kunan

03. [NDS] Picross 3D (Nintendo) 38,000 / NEW

NDS
Picross
3D
3D Picross
3D Picross for DS
ORLY?!?!?! *want want*

EDIT:
Does this mean that the PS3 can get Star Ocean 4 now? I can't believe how many exclusive RPGs that Microsoft keeps nabbing, only for them to fall flat on their face over and over and over again. People are just NOT buying the 360 for RPGs, and you aren't expanding your audience more than you're just sending tons of games to die.

Not that I think they should be PS3 exclusive, the more the merrier. Just make em friggin multi-platform!!

schuelma

dabra said:
Media Create

PSP 43,463
PS3 28,014
DSi 27,564
Wii 17,941
DS Lite 11,571
Xbox 360 8,378
PS2 4,844

PSP on top. Better hold for PS3 than I thought would happen. Interesting to see the drop next week.

Wii actually went up 1.5K if I'm not mistaken. The power of Pikmin conquers all!

obaidr

Banned
Kunan said:
NDS
Picross
3D
3D Picross
3D Picross for DS
ORLY?!?!?! *want want*

EDIT:
Does this mean that the PS3 can get Star Ocean 4 now? I can't believe how many exclusive RPGs that Microsoft keeps nabbing, only for them to fall flat on their face over and over and over again. People are just NOT buying the 360 for RPGs, and you aren't expanding your audience more than you're just sending tons of games to die.

Not that I think they should be PS3 exclusive, the more the merrier. Just make em friggin multi-platform!!

Microsofts strategy is not only win customer in japan but also hurt sony or keep customers from sony. For that reason they will keep the exclusives for as long as they can.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
If the PS3 would announce a new PS3 iteration (thinner, slicker, cheaper to make), GT5 and of course FFXIII for Holiday 09 they would dominate Japanese sales well into mid 2010.

Fafalada said:
Is it possible to do one of those "at this week rates" predictions here?
I know last year when WiiFit took over 2ndG people said it would never look back, but the Best version has been marginally outselling WiiFit pretty much since it's been out now, so theoretically they could meet again...
Hmm. As of the last finalized Famitsu numbers Wii Fit was at 3,200,787, while the sum of the two versions of MHP2G was at 2,903,035. That puts Wii Fit 297,752 ahead, though there are probably trace sales of the non-Best version of MHP2G we don't know about.

Here's how weekly sales have compared so far this year:
MHP2G+Best

MHP2G hasn't had a constant lead, but for our purposes the average of the last 8 weeks here (since Wii Fit dropped below) has MHP2G ahead by 3,680 each week.

Difference of 297,752 divided by 3,680 gives 80.9 weeks. By which time we'll probably be comparing MHP3 and More Wii Fit or whatever.
AranhaHunter said:
What does smh mean?
Shaking my head.
MikE21286 said:
PS3 and Wii sales are probably right about even for the year now....
Not quite, but the difference should be down to about 50K.

Then again, it depends how you define year beginning. I count the week starting December 29, 2008, but if you don't, that removes a week where Wii lead by nearly 60K.

Kunan

obaidr said:
Microsofts strategy is not only win customer in japan but also hurt sony or keep customers from sony. For that reason they will keep the exclusives for as long as they can.
And in the end, all they're doing is hurting one of my favorite genres :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LiquidMetal14 said:
NPD's today, you can feel it. Can't wait to see Star Ocean numbers. I would think it broke at least 200k (Maybe).
I don't know if we'll see it chart-- it will have to beat two SKUs of SFIV, Killzone 2, the Wii library (Mario Kart, Wii Play, Wii Fit, and probably one other title), whatever music games make the top 10 (probably on Wii), the 50 cent game, and FEAR 2. So it might be right outside the range for which we get numbers.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jett said:
wat wat at the ps3 selling more than the DSi :lol

uh ..if you have games , your system will sell units..if not ..then it won't sell , it's just like that

sadly SCEJ still don't know about this

Top Bottom