• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/09 - 03/15

duckroll said:
I cannot say that this is true. Even if it IS supply constrained, it can't be true that Sega underestimated the demand on 7D. This is because before the release of the game, it was stated by 熱血店員 on 2ch (he's the same guy that openly viral markets tons of DS RPGs and stuff, and posts lots of detailed gameplay info and answers fan questions on 2ch) that Sega was looking at initial sales of 100k, and a lifetime of about 150k at least. The reasons stated by his Sega contact is that they're looking at the performance of EO/EO2, and they hope that 7D will build on that fanbase that Niinou had created.

With this in mind it's clear that Sega knew exactly what was up, and was shipping accordingly. The only explanation I have for the constrained demand might be that Sega is artificially stalling some shipments to prolong the word of mouth and excitement of the game.
I'm just saying, if you're sold out at all the big shops in Akiba on day 3, you underestimated demand.

The tongue is planted firmly in cheek, but I'd like to point out since then Nintendo has been fucking up the Wii non-stop. In fact, I believe since I made that post, I've bought 3 Wii games. Nintendo has proven to be an unsatisfying leader, and I'd take Sony back in a heartbeat.

u_neek

LiquidMetal14 said:
NPD's today, you can feel it. Can't wait to see Star Ocean numbers. I would think it broke at least 200k (Maybe).
It probably won't be in the top 10 but I'm sure it'll do 'okay'.

How was the marketing for SO4 in NA?

markatisu

Segata Sanshiro said:
The tongue is planted firmly in cheek, but I'd like to point out since then Nintendo has been fucking up the Wii non-stop. In fact, I believe since I made that post, I've bought 3 Wii games. Nintendo has proven to be an unsatisfying leader, and I'd take Sony back in a heartbeat.

We will have to see how that plays out after April, as far as we know the PS3 is done as all the games (sans FFXIII) that were positioned for it early on are now out. So you would be exchanging one shitty market leader for another.

And at the same time since the PS3 is getting utterly demolished everywhere its not like anything would change all that much.

No games is no games regardless of platform.

Insane, there are commercials everywhere. I see at least 5-6 SO4 commercials a night on all the major networks and cable (during WWE Raw on USA, TNA Impact on Spike, BSG on Sci-Fi, American Idol on FOX, That 70's show on The N, X-Play on G4)

sphinx

the piano man
I am glad nintendo (particularly the wii) is being beaten by the competition and I hope the trend continues, at least until they announce software that is worth caring about.

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
nice try :D

but what do you expect? same people that reported how PS3 was huge failure will now report how Wii is dropping vs PS3 which is woa awesome.

If in June, Wii outsells PS3, PS3 will become failure again. There is no journalistic integrity left so we shouldnt look for it.
All of the home consoles are failing in Japan currently, however Wii is still a success overall. Not that complicated.

jett

D-Member
markatisu said:
We will have to see how that plays out after April, as far as we know the PS3 is done as all the games (sans FFXIII) that were positioned for it early on are now out. So you would be exchanging one shitty market leader for another.

And at the same time since the PS3 is getting utterly demolished everywhere its not like anything would change all that much.

Insane, there are commercials everywhere. I see at least 5-6 SO4 commercials a night on all the major networks and cable (during WWE Raw on USA, TNA Impact on Spike, BSG on Sci-Fi, American Idol on FOX, That 70's show on The N, X-Play on G4)

You sure watch a lot of crap

dfyb said:
playstation outnumbering nintendo in top 10. when's the last time that happened?

I noticed this too....if you would have told me about this plus the hardware sales situation coming into this year PLUS the fact that the DSi was coming out I would have laughed at you.

Leonsito

Interesting weeks we live these days.

Nintendo domination was so boring that I left this threads a year ago or so, let's see if Nintendo starts to put some games for the Wii in Japan, selling 80k/month is horrible, but the entire market in Japan is doing poor numbers ;\

donny2112

Segata Sanshiro said:
The tongue is planted firmly in cheek, but I'd like to point out since then Nintendo has been ***ing up the Wii non-stop. In fact, I believe since I made that post, I've bought 3 Wii games. Nintendo has proven to be an unsatisfying leader, and I'd take Sony back in a heartbeat.

Just looking at it in reference to last-gen, so it's good. Thanks. :)

markatisu said:

In my personal opinion, the PS3 has gotten handfuls more games that would have interested me compared to the Wii. Sure, many of them are shared with the 360, but you know, shared games are better than no freaking games at all. Shame the damn machine is priced more than it's worth to me, but aren't they all these days?

donny2112

Famitsu Mar 2-8

01./00. [PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 321,670 / NEW
02./00. [NDS] 7th Dragon (SEGA) - 81,536 / NEW
03./00. [360] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 79,182 / NEW
04./02. [PSP] Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid (Koei) - 68,302 / 295,611 (-70%)
05./01. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (SEGA) - 57,484 / 414,351 (-84%)
06./03. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 43,177 / 378,107 (-23%)
07./00. [NDS] Aibou DS (Tecmo) - 32,550 / NEW
08./00. [PS2] Super Robot Taisen Z Special Disc (Namco Bandai Games) - 29,436 / NEW
09./09. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 22,726 / 473,650 (+6%)
10./08. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 18,501 / 3,219,288 (-15%)

11./12. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai Games) - 13,521 / 437,273
12./00. [NDS] Prince of Tennis: Prince of Doubles: Girls, Be Gracious! (Konami) - 13,290 / NEW
13./15. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 13,206 / 1,612,047
14./04. [WII] One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 13,130 / 60,296
15./06. [NDS] Sunday x Magazine Nettou! Dream Nine (Konami) - 10,240 / 34,606
16./07. [PSP] The Idolm@ster SP: Perfect Sun/Missing Moon/Wandering Star (Namco Bandai Games) - 8,902 / 153,730
17./05. [NDS] Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 8,697 / 55,483
18./22. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode (Nintendo) - 8,277 / 768,982
19./21. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 7,458 / 2,179,529
20./10. [360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix) - 7,361 / 193,584
21./19. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 12: PES 2009 (Konami) - 7,072 / 194,427
22./17. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 12: PES 2009 (Konami) - 6,949 / 194,193
23./30. [NDS] Tongari Boushi to Mahou no 365 Nichi (Little Magician's Magic Adventure) (Konami) - 6,688 / 312,675
24./29. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 6,642 / 2,355,184
25./18. [NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) - 6,627 / 187,259
26./00. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe (Nintendo) - 6,357 / 1,045,164
27./00. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 6,285 / 4,945,515
28./23. [PS3] Demon's Souls (SCEI) - 6,247 / 82,578
29./28. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 5,996 / 1,089,936
30./26. [WII] Play on Wii: Mario Tennis GC (Nintendo) - 5,490 / 149,929

*. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (BEST) (SEGA) - 4,700 / NEW
*. [NDS] Simple DS Series Vol. 47: The Detective New Chapter 2009 (D3 Publisher) - 3,200 / NEW
*. [PSP] Minna no Golf Portable 2 (BEST) (SCEI) - 2,700 / NEW
*. [NDS] Kimokawa E! (5pb) - 1,700 / NEW
*. [WII] Relaxuma Minna de Goyururi Seikatsu (MTO) - 1,700 / NEW
*. [NDS] Sukashishipanman DS: Shokotak Koto Nakagawa Shouko Produce! (Produced by Shouko Nakagawa, aka Shokotan) (Interchannel) - 750 / NEW

Bar Chart Mar 2-8 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-03-02

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Feb 2-8, 2009
Feb 9-15, 2009
Feb 16-22, 2009
Feb 23-Mar 1, 2009

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
u_neek said:
It probably won't be in the top 10 but I'm sure it'll do 'okay'.

Heaviest Square's done since FFXII-- print and television ads that run during wrestling (lol).

gantz85

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Heaviest Square's done since FFXII-- print and television ads that run during wrestling (lol).

Isn't it more than likely that MS is footing the marketing bill? Or at least subsidizing it?

Laguna

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Nintendo has proven to be an unsatisfying leader, and I'd take Sony back in a heartbeat.

Yeah, since SF4, Yakuza3,RE5,Musou are from Sony. Sony is just sitting on the laurels from 3rd parties what have they published this year in Japan besides From Softwars Demon Souls? Since from February to March were released some of the most hyped (and this for years) games it´s understandable that people who were anticipating these games are happy with the PS3 but since this are 3rd party games I don´t agree calling this as Sonys merit.

Laguna said:
Yeah, since SF4, Yakuza3,RE5,Musou are from Sony. Sony is just sitting on the laurels from 3rd parties what have they published this year in Japan besides From Softwars Demon Souls? Since from February to March were release some of the most hyped (and this for years) games it´s understandable that people who were anticipating these games are happy with the PS3 but since this are 3rd party games I don´t agree calling this as Sonys merit.
Decent third party relations are part of the first party's job. Nintendo doesn't give a flying fuck about third parties, and while you might separate your little piles of games into first party games and third party games, I tend to just keep them all in a big pile I call "shit worth my time to play". That pile has a lot of DS, PS2, and PSP games in it, a fair amount of 360 and PS3 games in it, and about three fucking Wii games in it.

My impression is that the total DS numbers have fallen year over year for the last couple of months. It's certainly not dominating like it has over the last 2 years. Do you guys think that the DSi wasn't enough of a jump over the DS Lite to make people double and triple dip?

With the speculation that the DSi was a stealth next generation release (with the increased ram and clock speed), how will this effect if and when the next handheld comes out? That is, if current trends continue?

jeremy1456

PistolGrip said:
If the PS3 would announce a new PS3 iteration (thinner, slicker, cheaper to make), GT5 and of course FFXIII for Holiday 09 they would dominate Japanese sales well into mid 2010.

I actually seriously doubt it.

Do you really think FFXIII and GT5 are still coming out this year? I'll believe it when I see it.

markatisu

Segata Sanshiro said:
I tend to just keep them all in a big pile I call "shit worth my time to play". That pile has a lot of DS, PS2, and PSP games in it, a fair amount of 360 and PS3 games in it, and about three fucking Wii games in it.

That sounds like my pile except flip flop Wii and PS3 as I only own 3 PS3 games and only two are worth it (MGS4 and Uncharted) :lol

Laguna

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Decent third party relations are part of the first party's job. Nintendo doesn't give a flying fuck about third parties, and while you might separate your little piles of games into first party games and third party games, I tend to just keep them all in a big pile I call "shit worth my time to play". That pile has a lot of DS, PS2, and PSP games in it, a fair amount of 360 and PS3 games in it, and about three fucking Wii games in it.

You seem to live in the past. Some games released this year were started/planned for PS3 some years ago some even before the PS3 was even launched and you know this. That Nintendo "gives a flying shit about 3rd parties" is also just nonsense, if this would have been true there wouldn´t have been neither those numerous DS special editions alongside several 3rd party games, nor would they make MH bundles with their CC controller btw. MH3 bundles with their new CC pro controller. You also seem to have forgotten that in December Nintendo was present in the SQEX meeting were DQX was announced and afterwards Iwata declared their intend to help SEQX making DragonQuest a popular franchise in the West.

Link said:
Are you the head of a third party with that kind of flawless logic?

actually, my post was half-joking because anyone could tell it would bombaaaa. but really, if all NIS is going to do to is port old, niche software and hope it sells they should just stick to where their fanbase already is.

Laguna said:
You seem to live in the past. Some games released this year were started/planned for PS3 some years ago some even before the PS3 was even launched and you know this. That Nintendo "gives a flying shit about 3rd parties" is also just nonsense, if this would have been true there wouldn´t have been neither those numerous DS special editions alongside several 3rd party games, nor would they make MH bundles with their CC controller btw. MH3 bundles with their new CC pro controller. You also seem to have forgotten that in December Nintendo was present in the SQEX meeting were DQX was announced and afterwards Iwata declared their intend to help SEQX making DragonQuest a popular franchise in the West.
I forgot none of this. Unfortunately, aside from DQ, which is coming out ummm... probably 2012 at the earliest?, I don't give a rat's behind about any of it.

donny: my three Wii games since Dec 07 were House of the Dead 2 & 3, SEGA Superstars Tennis, and Ghost Squad. Haven't picked up the new HotD yet as my only option for it is the import english version, and it's not quite worth $100 to me. :p

stilgar

Mutanthands said:
With the speculation that the DSi was a stealth next generation release (with the increased ram and clock speed)

That was certainly not a next generation release at all. Maybe a transition, with services which will be native on "Ds Next", but no more.

markatisu

Segata Sanshiro said:
donny: my three Wii games since Dec 07 were House of the Dead 2 & 3, SEGA Superstars Tennis, and Ghost Squad. Haven't picked up the new HotD yet as my only option for it is the import english version, and it's not quite worth $100 to me. :p

Its too bad HoTD Overkill has not come to Japan, though its a very western game with all its language and violence (Goregasms whoo hoo) it probably would have bombed

Laguna

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I forgot none of this. Unfortunately, aside from DQ, which is coming out ummm... probably 2012 at the earliest?, I don't give a rat's behind about any of it.

So you just like spouting nonsense? Since the 3rd party franchised themed DS special editions alone make clear that Nintendo is supporting a strategy to strengthen relationships with 3rd parties and Iwatas statements regarding Dragon Quest beeing the most recent and in Japan the most important one.

markatisu said:
Its too bad HoTD Overkill has not come to Japan, though its a very western game with all its language and violence (Goregasms whoo hoo) it probably would have bombed
I think it would definitely bomb. I'm not ruling out a Japanese release (they released Crazy Taxi PSP waaaaay the heck after the US version), but it seems unlikely. I'll probably just end up having one of the SEGA Army send it to me from the USA.

Laguna: this whole conversation spun out me expressing my own personal dissatisfaction with the Wii and Nintendo's policy. Therefore the only relevant arguments are the ones that speak to my personal opinions, which, you'll understand, I'm slightly more inclined to take my word on than yours.

But you know, keep on trucking with that whole Nintendo cheerleader thing. Maybe if the pretty girl is busy Nintendo might ask you to be their backup for the prom.

markatisu

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think it would definitely bomb. I'm not ruling out a Japanese release (they released Crazy Taxi PSP waaaaay the heck after the US version), but it seems unlikely. I'll probably just end up having one of the SEGA Army send it to me from the USA.

Sega routinely puts all their Wii games on sale by the 2nd or 3rd month for $29-39 (and then 6 months later they usually drop to $19-29) so you could probably snag it on the cheap if it does not come to Japan.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
donny, are you going to do the percentages for the rest of the Top 30 or it's too much work?

It's easy to do. I just didn't figure that it'd be as useful outside the Top 10. Here's 21-30 with the percentages, where applicable.

11./12. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai Games) - 13,521 / 437,273 (-19%)
12./00. [NDS] Prince of Tennis: Prince of Doubles: Girls, Be Gracious! (Konami) - 13,290 / NEW
13./15. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 13,206 / 1,612,047 (-8%)
14./04. [WII] One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 13,130 / 60,296 (-72%)
15./06. [NDS] Sunday x Magazine Nettou! Dream Nine (Konami) - 10,240 / 34,606 (-58%)
16./07. [PSP] The Idolm@ster SP: Perfect Sun/Missing Moon/Wandering Star (Namco Bandai Games) - 8,902 / 153,730 (-62%)
17./05. [NDS] Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 8,697 / 55,483 (-81%)
18./22. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode (Nintendo) - 8,277 / 768,982 (-1%)
19./21. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 7,458 / 2,179,529 (-19%)
20./10. [360] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square Enix) - 7,361 / 193,584 (-64%)
21./19. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 12: PES 2009 (Konami) - 7,072 / 194,427 (-29%)
22./17. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 12: PES 2009 (Konami) - 6,949 / 194,193 (-31%)
23./30. [NDS] Tongari Boushi to Mahou no 365 Nichi (Little Magician's Magic Adventure) (Konami) - 6,688 / 312,675 (-2%)
24./29. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 6,642 / 2,355,184 (-6%)
25./18. [NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) - 6,627 / 187,259 (-34%)
26./00. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe (Nintendo) - 6,357 / 1,045,164
27./00. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 6,285 / 4,945,515
28./23. [PS3] Demon's Souls (SCEI) - 6,247 / 82,578 (-24%)
29./28. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 5,996 / 1,089,936 (-16%)
30./26. [WII] Play on Wii: Mario Tennis GC (Nintendo) - 5,490 / 149,929 (-24%)

Spiegel said:
Anyway, I appreciate your effort

Thanks. :)

Laguna

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Laguna: this whole conversation spun out me expressing my own personal dissatisfaction with the Wii and Nintendo's policy. Therefore the only relevant arguments are the ones that speak to my personal opinions, which, you'll understand, I'm slightly more inclined to take my word on than yours.

But you know, keep on trucking with that whole Nintendo cheerleader thing. Maybe if the pretty girl is busy Nintendo might ask you to be their backup for the prom.

You are so funny. Especially that actually it was your cheerleading for Sony that iniciated our dispute. I just pointed out that the laurels belong to Capcom, Sega and Koei, to make it clear I don´t say this fact makes the PS3 lineup in any way worse or that the hardware numbers aren´t deserved, I´m just saying that I find it funny that you are giving the laurels to Sony for games and efforts from Capcom, Sega, Keoi.

kiruyama said:
lolz @ Phantom Brave Wii

stick to the triple guys

...you can't be serious.

Segata Sanshiro said:

So true. It's sad though. Nintendo has the games, hardware, and innovation. They are just terrible at being "businessy" though. When are they going to learn that the market is different from the mid-90's? I mean there has been some progress but it's still a ways away.

gantz85

Banned
Laguna said:
You are so funny. Especially that actually it was your cheerleading for Sony that iniciated our dispute. I just pointed out that the laurels belong to Capcom, Sega and Koei, to make it clear I don´t say this fact makes the PS3 lineup in any way worse or that the hardware numbers aren´t deserved, I´m just saying that I find it funny that you are giving the laurels to Sony for games and efforts from Capcom, Sega, Keoi.

:lol

Sweaty anti-Sony bot goes bashing on his keyboard writing "funny" in a lame attempt to conceal his dissatisfaction.

Cute.

I think Segata has already explained his position on the Sony/developers issue.

Laguna

Banned
gantz85 said:
:lol

Sweaty anti-Sony bot goes bashing on his keyboard writing "funny" in a lame attempt to conceal his dissatisfaction.

Cute.

I think Segata has already explained his position on the Sony/developers issue.

Now explain me how my statement is anti-Sony by saying that Street Fighter 4, Yakuza3, Resident Evil 5 and Musou were responsible for PS3s good performance the last weeks. Are you denying that these games are the reason for improved PS3 sales or what?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm with Segata Sanshiro (I had to type his full name, more menacing than dumbing it down with just the first portion of his name :p). He's right on his views with the Wii (at the moment). Of course things can change but this is the way it is right now.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm with Segata Sanshiro (I had to type his full name, more menacing than dumbing it down with just the first portion of his name :p). He's right on his views with the Wii (at the moment). Of course things can change but this is the way it is right now.

Pretty much. I mean there were a lot of things that SONY did to piss me off. Lie to their fans (much more so then Nintendo), screw over consumers ($600 for the most useless format upgrade ever? Taking out rumble to escape paying someone for a lawsuit) Disc Read Error?. But at least I could count on them to get in with the times and pull in others to make me buy their console.

I mean what REALLY bothers me about the Wii isn't that the games aren't HD, but more so that the system doesn't upscale the fucking games. WTF is that shit? And where's my hard-disc drive? Why in the fuck do I need FRIEND CODES to play online? Doesn't this just make it MORE confusing for the end user? I mean don't most casuals use Yahoo! accounts or something similar? How is assigning a huge as plad of numbers less confusing then just having them make their own screen-name? And while auto-match making doesn't bother me, why can't I customize the search as in "find the lobby with the best ping" or "find the quickest available lobby" or some shit?

I mean:

Third Party Relations
Upscaling to HD (HD should have been mandatory, but I'll let it slide)
Passable Online
Hard-Disc Drive

If Nintendo fixed these 4 things then I'd personally rank them HIGHER then SONY. But as it stands now they're a pretty piss poor market leader.

It's an odd generation. Most publishers have no clear direction. The last time it was pretty clear that Sony was the new market leader before Nintendo even had their console on the market. This time, not so much.

My expectation is that I'll get a few good games out of the generation - Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil and Fallout have really stood out - and that next generation will be a bit more polarized towards one console, hopefully, one way or another.

bmf said:
It's an odd generation. Most publishers have no clear direction. The last time it was pretty clear that Sony was the new market leader before Nintendo even had their console on the market. This time, not so much.

My expectation is that I'll get a few good games out of the generation - Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil and Fallout have really stood out - and that next generation will be a bit more polarized towards one console, hopefully, one way or another.

It's because the answer isn't to support "just one platform" it's to support all.

PS3, 360, PC
PC
Wii
DS

Publishers should concentrate on the following 4 platforms (or platform order) as release directions with near equal support. Yet most can't understand this.

LiquidMetal14

Flying_Phoenix said:
Yeah screw motion controls, support for creative games, and portability.
I'm with you on the portability. Everything else can be had on PS3 and 360 (to some extent)

LiquidMetal14

markatisu said:
Yeah cause the Sixaxis worked out so awesome for Sony
In very few cases, yes. Don't twist my words or look into them more. That's about all I can say to clarify my view.

Top Bottom