• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/30 - 04/05

jeremy1456 said:
:lol

No no, come on guys. I'm just poking fun at the very idea of releasing new colors. The PSP is just an easy target. On the other hand, the DS is a very easy target when speaking of special edition units.

I know, just giving you a hard time since you bring it up so often =)

jeremy1456

AranhaHunter said:
I know, just giving you a hard time since you bring it up so often =)

Yeah, I guess I do...

:( Sorry.

I may poke fun at new color releases, but I would so buy a yellow PS3

cvxfreak

:lol @ Wii hardware

Nintendo needs to do something. Iwata's words at the Foreign Correspondence Club were pretty frightening.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
At least it will get hist 2nd shipment way fast - how much did odin sphere sell day 1 ?

Dascu said:
I don't think anyone hyped up sales numbers for this game.

Not sales numbers as in predictions, but from what people were saying I expected more than 16k First day, probably 30K first week, that's all.

Vanillaware PS2 games: First week -> Last known total (Famitsu)

GrimGrimoire: 15K -> 37K
Odin Sphere: 61K -> 96K

Though these were in early-mid 2007, so they didn't exactly catch PS2 in its prime.

JoshuaJSlone said:

Though these were in early-mid 2007, so they didn't exactly catch PS2 in its prime.

Muramasa didn't exactly catch the Wii in its prime either.

RpgN

I didn't quite expect the ps3 to take the wii over for this week as well, not bad. Next week with the release of FFXIII demo, it will most probably continue this pace.

Not a really good showing for anyone...at least they shipped accordingly so they won't go into the bomba territory of price collapses, bargain bins, retailers anger and such. Just in the disappointing territory of lukewarm reception and overall decline in raw numbers.

[PS2] Suggoi! Arcana Heart 2 (AQ Interactive) - 8,000 (40%)
Arcana Heart 1 did 24k first week in October 2007. Going to decline quite a bit.

[PSP] Sengoku Basara: Battle Heroes (Capcom) - 46,000 (50%)
Basara Dissidia is difficult to gauge since it isn't like any previous Basara titles...anyway:
Basara 1 did 86k first week
Basara 2 did 137k first week
Basara 2 Heroes did 94k first week
Basara X (arcade port) did 27k first week
So it'll beat the fighting game but it doesn't really come close to the main games. I wonder if this is one of those Capcom tests people here like to talk about.

[WII] Oboro Muramasa (Marvelous Entertainment) - 16,000 (50%)
Already said, but its disappointing its that far away from Odin Sphere.

polluar

Why didn't they use these pics to promote the game ?

demon_bath.jpg

demon_bwah.jpg

JoshuaJSlone said:

So it looks like Muramasa is going to slot in somewhere between the two in terms of opening weeks. Based on the shipment and first day numbers, I'd guess something like 20-25k for the first week is reasonable (a 100% sell-through is very unlikely).

It's not too terrible, although obviously a little disappointing in comparison to Odin Sphere. With that said, the unrealistic expectations for the title here - not to mention the crys of bomba already - seem a little unfair, but hey.

duckroll

gantz85 said:
Can the publishers make money with those kinds of digits for that kind of game?

Princess Crown = Atlus

<Director goes jobless for a decade>

<Forms Vanillaware>

Grim Grimoire = Nippon Ichi
Odin Sphere = Atlus
Kumatanchi = Dimple
Oboro = MMV

I'm sure you see a pattern there...

duckroll said:
Princess Crown = Atlus

<Forms Vanillaware>

Odin Sphere = Atlus
Kumatanchi = Dimple
Oboro = MMV

:lol

gantz85 said:
Can the publishers make money with those kinds of digits for that kind of game?

well firstly it seems that it's a very expensive game at 8,800yen (on amazon), so it all depends on the budget if its quite low budget then they probably will make money especially as these are just first day numbers and we do have golden week coming up so assuming they get another shipment outit could finish up with not too bad numbers, add in the eventual worldwide sales and it should at least make a profit

donny2112

bttb said:
14. [PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 10,056 / 486,353

~590K assuming 0 sales for the last few weeks of the 360 version. It's probably safe to assume that the PS360 RE5 total is now just over 600K in Dengeki.

bttb said:
[WII] Oboro Muramasa (Marvelous Entertainment) - 16,000 (50%)

Finally. Some good Wii software sales (i.e. the %). Too bad there isn't a lineup of good games coming over the next few weeks to help give this title more legs. :|

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hmm.....wonder if PS3 can momentarily overtake Wii YTD? It's down about 37K right now..probably depends on the results of Demo Wars 2009.

Anyone find out why the big 360 bump? Odd

And this week should probably be the lowest Wii week in the forseeable future. There are actually consistent releases pretty much every week until June. Its not a slate of heavy hitters, but its more than Wii has gotten so far.

donny2112

schuelma said:
Hmm.....wonder if PS3 can momentarily overtake Wii YTD? It's down about 37K right now..probably depends on the results of Demo Wars 2009.

I'm expecting big things from the FFXIII demo w/ free copy of FFVII:ACC, so I think it'll likely pass it up that week.

schuelma said:
There are actually consistent releases pretty much every week until June. Its not a slate of heavy hitters, but its more than Wii has gotten so far.

I'm probably just not up on the releases, so what are you referring to? Demon Blade this week. MH3 demo w/ free MHG in two weeks. Then what?

markatisu

gtj1092 said:
Believe they are projecting a loss for this year.

Isn't their loss due to other entertainment ventures and not games? I think for the games part they were expecting to break even or post a small positive

Donos

donny2112 said:
I'm expecting big things from the FFXIII demo w/ free copy of FFVII:ACC, so I think it'll likely pass it up that week.

Can japan gaffers comment on the marketing of the FFXIII demo ? are there any TV Ads ?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
I'm probably just not up on the releases, so what are you referring to? Demon Blade this week. MH3 demo w/ free MHG in two weeks. Then what?

Again, I'm not at all claiming these releases are like actually big, but it seems more consistent than the first quarter:

Deca Sports 2 next week
MH G 4/23
another power pro 4/29
WE 09 5/14 (sent to die of course)
Tact of Magic 5/21
Kizuna 5/28
Arc Rise Fantasia 6/4

Then Wii Sports Resort in June sometime as well

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Eteric Rice said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6207701.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

Seems like Iwata is well aware of the problem. I suspect they're going to try to address it in the future.

Dunno about Japanese gamers getting bored faster than Western ones, though.

Nintendo is about the number of people gaming now, not how much of a certain product some people buy. It's very concerning for the industry, these numbers warrant no true celebration, from anybody.

And it won't be the case so long as fewer people are involved with the industry.

markatisu

Azelover said:
Nintendo is about the number of people gaming now, not how much of a certain product some people buy. It's very concerning for the industry, these numbers warrant no true celebration, from anybody.

Correct, people might enjoy the pissing contest in sales-age but the fact is sales are down across the board.

Sony might be pleased for the PS3 on some small level, but 20-25k is nothing to shoot off fireworks for

Joe211

duckroll said:
Princess Crown = Atlus

<Forms Vanillaware>

Odin Sphere = Atlus
Kumatanchi = Dimple
Oboro = MMV

They should release these games at a special price or develop them for the psp.

schuelma said:
Again, I'm not at all claiming these releases are like actually big, but it seems more consistent than the first quarter:

Deca Sports 2 next week
MH G 4/23
another power pro 4/29
WE 09 5/14 (sent to die of course)
Tact of Magic 5/21
Kizuna 5/28
Arc Rise Fantasia 6/4

Then Wii Sports Resort in June sometime as well

Deca Sports 2 should be a relatively big seller - the original did 240k+ IIRC, so I'd expect a similar performance (though I'd be hesitant to call it anything like a certainty given the relative unpredictability of the Wii market).

Monster Hunter G should be decent seller, though obviously it depends on how keen Japanese gamers are for a taste of MH3.

I don't expect much from Power Pro or Winning Eleven, and Takt of Magic seems a bit of a wildcard, as is Kizuna. Arc Rise Fantasia could be a decent seller, but that's up in the air.

Third parties - and Nintendo - need to be smart about scheduling their releases in the wake of Wii Sports Resort, as that would seem to be the best chance for a turnaround in the immediate future.

gkryhewy

markatisu said:
Correct, people might enjoy the pissing contest in sales-age but the fact is sales are down across the board.

Sony might be pleased for the PS3 on some small level, but 20-25k is nothing to shoot off fireworks for

Pretty much. As I said a couple of days ago, Japan doesn't seem to be buying anything right now. I know that their economy has actually contracted much more rapidly than the US economy over the last two quarters, but I wouldn't expect it to necessarily play out in domestic discretionary consumption. Perhaps there's something to that.

For scale, the total monthly PS3 sales in Japan are in the ballpark of the gap between 360 and PS3 sales in the US, not to mention US Wii sales.

The Japanese market is shrinking hardcore.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
duckroll said:
Princess Crown = Atlus

<Forms Vanillaware>

Odin Sphere = Atlus
Kumatanchi = Dimple
Oboro = MMV

oh.