• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/06 - 04/12

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
PantherLotus said:
MC-THREAD-SOFTWARE-TITLE.png

01. [PSP] BASARA Battle Heroes (Capcom) 86,000 / NEW
2w6v59z.gif

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
It must be the already mentioned new 360 SKU:
"Its #3 in amazon and sold out"

I think it was released on 4/5 so it only made 1 day of sales for the last weekly numbers but the entire week this time. Still very good move from Microsoft.

:lol Amazon shows Killzone 2 at number 6 and Monster Hunter G at number 7 as well as BlazBlue 360 at 12 and BlazBlue PS3 at 20.

DarkMehm

PantherLotus said:
MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week |    YTD    |    LTD    [/U][/B]
NDS      |    47,542 |    62,409 | 1,117,835 | 26,237,478
PSP      |    40,886 |    48,118 |   788,870 | 12,152,889
WII      |    13,349 |    15,525 |   418,612 |  7,897,513
PS3      |    16,701 |    20,362 |   385,173 |  3,007,601
360      |    10,134 |     7,812 |   162,475 |    993,015
PS2      |     4,351 |     5,394 |    85,784 | 21,485,308
--------------------------------------------------------
DSi      |    40,673 |    53,680 |  853,133 |   2,123,165
DSL      |     6,869 |     8,729 |  217,170 |  17,526,844

Your DSi and DS YTDs are from last week.

Seeing the PSP go toe to toe with the DSi these days is quite a surreal experience. Hope Level 5's awesome looking PSP games will benefit from its gigantic japanese install base at least.

10k, 13k and 16k.

This is just so unexpected when you look at the numbers just one year ago. The 360 would be dead, the PS3 would be the Gamecube of this generation, and the Wii the PS2. Now they're basically all the Gamecube.

cw_sasuke said:
HOLY SHIT@DECA SPORTS 2 EPIC BOMBA :eek:

No shit. I said that the market was unpredictable, and this is a perfect example. Deca Sports did pretty damn well for what it was, and an improved sequel - which this seemed to be - should have done at least as well.

It’s possible that the first was either a) sufficient for the audience that snapped it up and they thus saw no reason to seek out the sequel, or b) turned off a significant portion of the audience that bought the original. You can see something similar with We Ski/Family Ski and its sequel, and I wonder whether you could say that the audience for these type of games just isn’t in the market for yearly sequels that demonstrate little noticeable improvement?

Cosmonaut X said:
No shit. I said that the market was unpredictable, and this is a perfect example. Deca Sports did pretty damn well for what it was, and an improved sequel - which this seemed to be - should have done at least as well.

It’s possible that the first was either a) sufficient for the audience that snapped it up and they thus saw no reason to seek out the sequel, or b) turned off a significant portion of the audience that bought the original. You can see something similar with We Ski/Family Ski and its sequel, and I wonder whether you could say that the audience for these type of games just isn’t in the market for yearly sequels that demonstrate little noticeable improvement?
c) there's a general dip in interest for the Wii or any game released for it?

Not trying to troll, just a thought.

Dascu

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (04/16)

[PSP] Fantasy Golf Pangya Portable (Takara Tomy) - 8,000 (45%)
[NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Fate of Heat II - Unmei no Futari (Takara Tomy) - 6,000 (25%)
[PS3] The Godfather II (Electronic Arts) - 3,500 (35%)
[WII] Deca Sports 2 (Hudson) - 2,500 (3%)
[360] The Godfather II (Electronic Arts) - 2,300 (35%)
[PSP] Remember11: The Age of Infinity (CyberFront) - LE 500 (20%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1239761138/383
If that isn't a typo... WOW.

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (04/16)

[NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Fate of Heat II - Unmei no Futari (Takara Tomy) - 6,000 (25%)
[PS3] The Godfather II (Electronic Arts) - 3,500 (35%)
[360] The Godfather II (Electronic Arts) - 2,300 (35%)
[PSP] Remember11: The Age of Infinity (CyberFront) - LE 500 (20%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1239761138/383

shockingly low from deca, i know its hardly a front loaded game but thats bad and did they seriously ship 83,000

The Abominable Snowman said:
What color PSP bumped it back over the DSi? With strong sales like those, whenever the new PSP with the sliding touch screen, built in camera and accelerometer (right?) releases in Japan, I'm almost 100% sure that the PSP will probably outsell the DS for the rest of the life of the handheld, barring some huge gap in price.
Saying a new touch-screen, accelerometer-using device would be PSP beating DS is like saying GameCube has been beating PS2 for the last 2.5 years.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
JoshuaJSlone said:
Saying a new touch-screen, accelerometer-using device would be PSP beating DS is like saying GameCube has been beating PS2 for the last 2.5 years.

I see what you did there ....

ollin

Isn't this the fourth Wii title to bomb in the last 6 months. Wii Music, Pikmin 2, and Animal Crossing didn't seem to be huge hits as Nintendo expected it to be. I don't think Monster Hunter will be that successful compared to the PSP games. Maybe selling on par with the PS2 games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ollin said:
Isn't this the fourth Wii title to bomb in the last 6 months. Wii Music, Pikmin 2, and Animal Crossing didn't seem to be huge hits as Nintendo expected it to be.

ehh, that really isn't the way I'd look at it.

Wii Music and Animal Crossing might not have been successes relative to their profiles, but they were hardly bombs.

If you had to pick Wii bombs recently, why not pick Fragile, which was a true bomb

ollin said:
Isn't this the fourth Wii title to bomb in the last 6 months. Wii Music, Pikmin 2, and Animal Crossing didn't seem to be huge hits as Nintendo expected it to be. I don't think Monster Hunter will be that successful compared to the PSP games. Maybe selling on par with the PS2 games.

What?

None of those three were bombs. Wii Music definitely didn't perform as well as the other titles in the Wii line, but it's still done well over 300k at the last count. The worst you could say is that it didn't perform to expectations, either in Japan or globally.

Animal Crossing has sold around 1.1 million IIRC - more than any PS3 or 360 title has managed to date. It pales in comparison to AC:WW on the DS, but it's not a bomb.

Pikmin 2 has done around 60-70k, which for a re-release of a game already playable on the system isn't too bad. If it was a brand-new Pikmin title, that would be disappointing, but for a New Play Control reissue?

ollin said:
Isn't this the fourth Wii title to bomb in the last 6 months. Wii Music, Pikmin 2, and Animal Crossing didn't seem to be huge hits as Nintendo expected it to be.
Nothing has been as successful as Animal Crossing Wild World on any platform since it's release half a year ago, but I can give that it and Wii Music weren't the pillars they were hoping for. But you really think they had high hopes for the New Play Control Pikmin 2?

womfalcs3 said:
3% sell-through is terrible.

Definitely. It means there are something like 80,000 copies shipped and unsold so far, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if around 70,000 remained unsold at the end of the first week. It's an appalling performance for the title.

markatisu

Cosmonaut X said:

Its en vogue to troll the Wii, Animal Crossing CF a bomb lol

I wonder if Deca Sports 2 is suffering from the fact that Deca Sports 1 was such a bad game, just because the audience is not as "core" as some people here does not mean they do not realize a bad game once they play it....shame too as it seems they made changes to Deca 2 to make it better

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I assume we won't get any type of first day numbers for the FF13 demo bundle?

Rolf NB

AFreak said:
What the hell are you talking about? going by MC #s, PS3 already won that race.
Well, yes, that's what I was trying to say.
PS3 reached its 3M goal this week.
XBox 360 will reach its 1M goal next week or the week after.
Wii will probably reach its 8M goal later but still soonish (depends on magnitude of Monster Hunter G bump).

's all I'm saying.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Code:
Anyone remember how this one did on Wii?

Koren

frankie_baby said:
shockingly low from deca, i know its hardly a front loaded game but thats bad and did they seriously ship 83,000
Considering the first one results, I was expecting it to be the strongest wii release for april. I guess many retailers thought the same, so orders are not surprising.

Sales are, on the other hand (at least for me). Was the first so bad people don't want a follow up ? Haven't they notice the release ?

toypop

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10244113817.html

Shinobi confirmed "3%" Deca Sporta2 ratio.

FF7ACC's 1st day sales will be over 100k, it's impressive as a BD movie, but he believes retailers have expected more.
He guess 60-70k are from limited packages(BD with demo), other 30k are from standalone BD and console bundles. include uncountable(atm) sales from DVD retailers.

(Unlike typical games, FF7ACC had separated distribution route as a DVD movie for non gaming retailers)

wrowa

Stumpokapow said:
If you had to pick Wii bombs recently, why not pick Fragile, which was a true bomb
What are you doing there?! If we call Fragile (a game that was expected to bomb and so only got a small shipment to begin with - a shipment that at least could be sold) a true bomb we need a new word for something like Deca Sports 2, which bombed completely unexpected and in a glamorous way with a high shipment number and absolutely disastrous sales numbers! Shame on you! Since this dilemma is your fault, you have to be creative and think about a new name for bombas like Deca 2! :(

test_account

XP-39C²
Has Dengeki stopped giving out the weekly total software numbers for each indivdual gaming system like they did before? If yes, is there any known reason for why they dont give out these numbers anymore?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
wrowa said:
Shame on you! Since this dilemma is your fault, you have to be creative and think about a new name for bombas like Deca 2! :(

CASUALBOMBA

A bomba so massive it can only be explained by an misreading of fickle casuals?

We Ski 2 foreshadowed this a little bit, really.

bttb said:
Yikes, that's the lowest sell through I remember.

Fafalada said:
Code:
Anyone remember how this one did on Wii?
Super Swing Golf - First day ? - First week 12,673
Super Swing Golf Pangya 2nd Shot! - First day 3,000 - First week 6,500

gantz85

Banned
toypop said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10244113817.html

Shinobi confirmed "3%" Deca Sporta2 ratio.

FF7ACC's 1st day sales will be over 100k, it's impressive as a BD movie, but he believe retailers have expected more.
60-70k are from packages, other 30k are from bundles and DVD retailers.
(Unlike typical games, FF7ACC had separated distribution route as a DVD movie for non gaming retailers)

I wonder if movie and BD sales taper off the same way as console game sales do. Interesting.

Luckyman said:
Sports Resort could be in trouble

I don’t think so. Wii Sports Resort is a key title for Nintendo in 2009, tied to a major new peripheral that they are keen to push as a major upgrade to the existing remote. It’s also the sequel to a wildly popular game that is still selling, years after release. It is going to have a huge marketing push that will position it as a must-have both in terms of content and the new hardware. That doesn’t guarantee success, but it is a far easier sell than something like Wii Music, and I think it is the closest thing to a guaranteed mega-seller on the platform in 2009.

If anything, I think Deca Sports may be more comparable to something like the cash-in brain training games that appeared after the success of Brain Training on the DS - moderately successful copycat titles that rode the coattails of the astonishingly popular original but which flamed out quickly with very poor sales on subsequent instalments. It’s obviously going to be hugely disappointing for Hudson though.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
iidesuyo said:
What the hell is happening to the Japanese home console market...
I wonder how some of the constant low sales will affect localizations in the long run. As in, will they release the games in other areas to try to recoup losses or will they just not care anymore?

Stumpokapow said:
CASUALBOMBA

A bomba so massive it can only be explained by an misreading of fickle casuals?

We Ski 2 foreshadowed this a little bit, really.
:lol

Casuomba, bombasual.

markatisu

Luckyman said:
Sports Resort could be in trouble

Doubtful, that is one time being a Nintendo game will keep it afloat it for some reason it does not have the Wii Fit appeal

People keep ignoring the first Deca Sports was not a quality game, it sold well yes but was panned in review after review. Similar to the FF RoF and EoT situation, yes it was Final Fantasy but the game made no changes to fix the problems and left a sour taste in a lot of fans mouths so EoT came in severely underwhelming.

From all accounts Deca Sports 2 was a "better" game but it might not have mattered if the first one left those 200k feeling like they were took

Maybe the "casual" crowd is getting smarter than all you give it credit for

markatisu

I don’t think so. Wii Sports Resort is a key title for Nintendo in 2009, tied to a major new peripheral that they are keen to push as a major upgrade to the existing remote. It’s also the sequel to a wildly popular game that is still selling, years after release. It is going to have a huge marketing push that will position it as a must-have both in terms of content and the new hardware. That doesn’t guarantee success, but it is a far easier sell than something like Wii Music, and I think it is the closest thing to a guaranteed mega-seller on the platform in 2009.

Do we know any other games that are coming out for the Wii that utilize M+ in Japan

The US and EU lineups are solid with one of the heaviest hitters being Tiger Woods (in just the US 3 straights years of more than 700k for each release, each one increasing over the last) to go alongside two tennis ip's and Wii Sports Resort

But Japan has nothing that I have heard, it would probably help get M+ over big time if they had a DQ Swords M+ enhanced even

spwolf

AranhaHunter said:
:lol Amazon shows Killzone 2 at number 6 and Monster Hunter G at number 7 as well as BlazBlue 360 at 12 and BlazBlue PS3 at 20.

does it show 360 selling 10k? :).

I mean Amazon numbers are generally silly if using them by themselves, but you have up in sales confirmed with real data you can use Amazon to see whats going on. In this case it is clearly due to new 360 SKU.

Top Bottom