• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/13 - 04/19

Jonnyram said:
You are totally missing his point.
Square Enix knows they can sell more on PS3, in Japan, at least. But they CHOOSE to go the other way. They have a plan and they're sticking to it.
Depends on if those sales are end-all, be-all numbers, though.

PS3 development could be harder, or more expensive, or Microsoft is willing to help subsidize development where Sony is not.

It's hard to just look at sales numbers and say "You fools!" when it might not be the case.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Square Enix knows they can sell more on PS3, in Japan, at least. But they CHOOSE to go the other way. They have a plan and they're sticking to it.

Their plan is pretty lame though. :(

Tailzo

bmf said:
but I have no idea how the God of War userbase is in Japan.
Quite small I imagine. FFXIII & GT5 are two two only big games not yet released for ps3 in Japan, as far as I know. (If you don't count far away games like FF Versus XIII)

idlewild_

Jonnyram said:

and in what world does this plan make sense? SO4 is not some small throw away IP. Best comparison (only comparison :d) is WKC, a new IP from a developer with far less acclaim, and SO4 has barely outsold it while being released in more territories. SO4 should have blown WKC out of the water and would have had it been released on the PS3 as well.

Wait.

The best-selling console game sold 10,000 copies?

Seriously?

Man, everything is changing. It's all freaking handheld.

Is that the future?

Jonnyram

SolidSnakex said:
Sounds like Wada is a great businessman.
Actually he is, and what many people fail to realise is that he is also the chairman of CESA, the Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association in Japan. One of the reason's he is forcing his company to support the 360 is because he thinks it is important for the Japanese game industry's future, and he is leading by example. I believe he has spoken publicly on the matter a number of times, so you might like to read up on it before blurting out the wise cracks.

Jonnyram said:
Actually he is, and what many people fail to realise is that he is also the chairman of CESA, the Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association in Japan. One of the reason's he is forcing his company to support the 360 is because he thinks it is important for the Japanese game industry's future, and he is leading by example. I believe he has spoken publicly on the matter a number of times, so you might like to read up on it before blurting out the wise cracks.

I don't think anyone is saying that they shouldn't release 360 games. What you basically said is that they aren't releasing PS3 games, even though they know it would sell more at least in Japan (and if you saw their last financial results, you know they need all the sales they can get) because they prefer to go 360 only. What sense does that make when that isn't netting then sales in Japan or the West? Capcom is a far better example of a company that is trying to show Japanese developers how to do in and they're seeing the benefits, just look at Capcom's games across all charts from Japan to the West.

Jonnyram said:

Support is one thing, support of only one is another thing entirely, and it doesn't seem to be successful on any front, does it? The 360 has been everything but a success, and it's not for a lack of support from Microsoft or other developers. And for SE's part, titles are released that do not sell as much as they probably would had they at at least been multiplatform releases. Where exactly is the success?

Lightning

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Wada should contact the chairman of Capcom then and ask him how it's done. Because S-E's western sales on consoles have been nothing short of laughable thus far.

And the worst thing is? I don't like Capcom. :lol

WinFonda

Jonnyram said:
Supporting the 360 is one thing, largely failing to support the PS3 (and Wii, too) is another thing. And in the run up to their big release of FFXIII, especially in Japan, they have not contributed to PS3's domestic growth (that is, until just this last week.) But it was always well within their capability to expand the PS3 userbase via some timely ports (and also would have banked them some money.) It really is bad business on their part and a logistical failure to deliver on multiplatform game development which is what they had been aiming to do by supporting the Xbox in the first place.

David H Wong said:
Wait.

The best-selling console game sold 10,000 copies?

Seriously?

Man, everything is changing. It's all freaking handheld.

Is that the future?

Its the past and present dude, where the hell have you been this gen.

Eteric Rice

Lightning said:
Wada should contact the chairman of Capcom then and ask him how it's done. Because S-E's western sales on consoles have been nothing short of laughable thus far.

And the worst thing is? I don't like Capcom. :lol

Capcom really didn't do anything special, it's just that their franchises were already pretty compatible with Western tastes. I mean come on, DMC4, Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, all stuff Western gamers already like. They just kind of ran with it afterwards with their new games (Bionic Commando, Dark Void, etc).

Lightning

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Capcom really didn't do anything special, it's just that their franchises were already pretty compatible with Western tastes. I mean come on, DMC4, Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, all stuff Western gamers already like. They just kind of ran with it afterwards with their new games (Bionic Commando, Dark Void, etc).
The main point was that they released their best stuff and marketed it accordingly. Square Enix have not, nor does it look like they will in the near future. The gen will be damn near over by the time Square release their best products. That just won't cut it in the western market.

lupin23rd

Jonnyram said:

If this "plan" is really turning Front Mission into something not an SRPG (the impression I get from that other thread) then no, they don't have a fucking plan.

Hunahan

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
You're crazy. Capcom did so many things right before SF4 was even announced that's it's difficult to even count them all.

- Created a powerful, proprietary in-house engine that was ready to go within months of the first console mover.

- Created two brand new, viable IPs within the first year of launch

- Created, grew, and maintained US-branch community outreach site and intensive localized marketing arm

- Took advantage of demo distribution immediately, garnering feedback and interest for their efforts.

- Jumped on board with XBLA immediately / shortly thereafter began investing in unprecedented projects in order to "set the bar" for DD console titles, quickly netting them a leadership position in the space.

- Began integrating online multiplayer / co-op features for their titles within a year of system launch

- Had immediate conversion to a multi-platform strategy / began executing shortly after the PS3 launch.

- Reached towards western developers for game creation partnerships / western popularity for genre iteration / supported western arm in creating games rather than just distributing them.

.....and perhaps most importantly:

- Completely bowed out of the retarded clusterfuck that is the industry's annual Q4 gangbang in favor of carving out an enormously successful slice of Q1, uncontested and successfully.

When you compare those points to SE, there's not a single one of them that they share in common.

Capcom has been remarkable this generation on many levels. If you're looking for a benchmark within Japanese companies seeking to gain worldwide business, they are undoubtedly the firm to which all fingers should be pointing.

lupin23rd said:
If this "plan" is really turning Front Mission into something not an SRPG (the impression I get from that other thread) then no, they don't have a fucking plan.

front%20mission%20-%20gun%20hazard.jpg

Kinan said:
Is that a first time ever that PS3 outsells NDS?

Also MGS4 launch week.

I believe Musou Orochi Z has set a new record for PS3 game in the top 10 most weeks...6 weeks, wow. Never thought I'd see a PS3 game with some staying power. (although, everything is so low I'm not sure if this is a great accomplishment)

Hunahan said:
You're crazy. Capcom did so many things right before SF4 was even announced that's it's difficult to even count them all.

- Created a powerful, proprietary in-house engine that was ready to go within months of the first console mover.

- Created, grew, and maintained US-branch community outreach site and intensive localized marketing arm

- Took advantage of demo distribution immediately, garnering feedback and interest for their efforts.

- Jumped on board with XBLA immediately / shortly thereafter began investing in unprecedented projects in order to "set the bar" for DD console titles, quickly netting them a leadership position in the space.

- Began integrating online multiplayer / co-op features for their titles within a year of system launch

- Had immediate conversion to a multi-platform strategy / began executing shortly after the PS3 launch.

- Reached towards western developers for game creation partnerships / western popularity for genre iteration / supported western arm in creating games rather than just distributing them.

- Completely bowed out of the retarded clusterfuck that is the industry's annual Q4 gangbang in favor of carving out an enormously successful slice of Q1, uncontested and successfully.

When you compare those points to SE, there's not a single one of them that they share in common.

Capcom has been remarkable this generation on many levels. If you're looking for a benchmark within Japanese companies seeking to gain worldwide business, they are undoubtedly the firm to which all fingers should be pointing.

Agreed. Squares doing such a shitfaced job this gen, they went from an industry leader to ..well...a laughing stock quite honestly. They just cant be lucky, seems like every decision they have made has been wrong (with a few exceptions of course).

RpgN

jeremy1456 said:
I was kinda under the impression that it was the demo-bump that was helping Valkyria. And with the number 10 game selling a mere 9,000 copies, apparently it's not helping too much.

uhm, the best release of Valkyria Chronicles was released on 5th of March, and it has been charting in the top 50 for the last 3 weeks. From number 50, to 25 and now 18. What do you say now?

klee123

RpgN said:
uhm, the best release of Valkyria Chronicles was released on 5th of March, and it has been charting in the top 50 for the last 3 weeks. From number 50, to 25 and now 18. What do you say now?

I don't think he will say anything, when has he ever been positive with the PS3 or Sony in general?

RpgN

klee123 said:
I don't think he will say anything, when has he ever been positive with the PS3 or Sony in general?

Hmmm...I guess? :lol

I just hope we get some famitsu numbers soon, if it charted there, at least we'll get to see how much it sold LTD. Last week it was 21k.

Kenka

Jonnyram said:

Wada is full of shit. He's partly responsible of the failure of Japan right now. Wii's market is by far bigger than 360's and attach ratio showed that PS3 games sell at the same scale as 360's.

So the best thing to do is supporting 360 with second-tier games, throwing the biggest exclusives on Wii and PS3 when the audience is slowly getting burned. His best designer is leaving the ship, his teams are not able to meet deadlines and the company value gets deeepthroated. Bravo Wada. Now, get the fuck out of S-E.

Damn you Wada, from the bottom of my heart.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Suddenly all that time wasted with 360 exclusive RPG's in Japan doesnt seem like such a good idea, no matter the money hats.
Hopefully the JPN developers can see that. The PS3 and the Wii are the only consoles JPN devs should even consider exclusive titles for at this point, otherwise they should just keep it multiplat. The 360 is a lost cause in Japan. I'm sure Square would have made more than the MS moneyhat was worth with SO4 if they had released it on both PS3 and 360 day and date.

Curious, I'd have thought 57,000 new PS3's would drive PS3 game sales with it for the week... that doesn't seem to have been the case...

So these people really spent THAT much money JUST for the FFVII Demo? Dem be some crazy japanese folk I tell ya what.

Pachael

RpgN said:

I will say that Gamasutra (and Sega PR) did say last week that it was #1 on Amazon Japan and they were all excited about that.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359145

According to this Gamasutra report, last week Valkyria Chronicles made quite a comeback, both in Japan and here in North America. Looks like all that evangelical work from the hardcore fans, coupled with the DLC and recent buzz about the game, is boosting Valkyria back up where it should be.

In North America, Valkyria Chronicles jumped last week to top 5 among PS3 game sales, back on the list at #5, and behind only titles like Guitar Hero and Killzone 2. Considering the game came out last November, it’s an excellent sign that DLC, continued support from SEGA, and amazing support from all the Valkyria fans truly can have a great effect on game sales. Props to all you evangelists who are telling your friends and fellow PS3 owners to pick it up - you have made a difference!

The biggest success story, however, is in Japan - at a cheaper budget price for their re-heat of the title, it makes me extremely happy to announce that according to the Gamasutra info, Valkyria Chronicles was the highest selling game on amazon - period - in Japan last week, beating out the likes of Resident Evil 5 (Biohazard in Japan) and other blockbusters, and nestling in nicely on the same top 5 list as Yakuza 3, which ranked fifth.

Amazon.jp! I LOLed:
Pachael said:
Eh
We're laughing because someone tried to pull the Amazon.com sales wool over our eyes before, and that backfired total.

It doesn't tell us that it's topping anything: #5 on Amazon.com charts for PS3 software is barely ekeing it, I'm afraid. And as for Amazon.com Japan? Topped lists last week? Let's look at the MC thread from 04/13 to 04/19 and we'll find out. (There's no way the BEST release will hit #1)

EDIT: Circular references my ARSE. It's saying #1 for PS3 on Amazon.jp, which isn't saying much. :/

Some didn't.

I like how you people are acting like you "stuck it" to gamasutra for pointing out that they're using amazon sales figures, as though they wouldn't know about media crate sales. News flash - Gamasutra knows far more about the video game industry than you do, and yes, that includes your little crappy sales tracking site.

They're reporting specifically that it's topping Amazon.com sales charts, and yes, that's a big deal despite what the bigshot above claims. Mainly because most people turn to Amazon.com the instant they can't find it in stores.

#18, and it got outsold by Musou Orochi and Godfather II on the PS3. And crappy sales tracking site, huh.

Kenka said:
Wada is full of shit. He's partly responsible of the failure of Japan right now. Wii's market is by far bigger than 360's and attach ratio showed that PS3 games sell at the same scale as 360's.

So the best thing to do is supporting 360 with second-tier games, throwing the biggest exclusives on Wii and PS3 when the audience is slowly getting burned. His best designer is leaving the ship, his teams are not able to meet deadlines and the company value gets deeepthroated. Bravo Wada. Now, get the fuck out of S-E.

Damn you Wada, from the bottom of my heart.

Who? And where to? And how do you know?

Awntawn

Tylahedras said:
Curious, I'd have thought 57,000 new PS3's would drive PS3 game sales with it for the week... that doesn't seem to have been the case...

So these people really spent THAT much money JUST for the FFVII Demo? Dem be some crazy japanese folk I tell ya what.
Some people buy games with it too, but they just don't all buy the same games so the numbers don't build up enough to affect any specific item on the chart. Also, a lot of people are probably buying used games too since they're way cheaper.

Acosta

Hunahan said:

Excellent post. If there is a Japanese company that has made the things right this generation that is Capcom.

The plan of Wada for Square Enix simply doesn't work, of course they do good in releasing games for 360, but ignoring PS3 and Wii meanwhile is a pretty stupid decision. I still don't understand what they achieved releasing Star Ocean 4 exclusive for 360, it makes no sense.

Of course, SE can rely on DQ and FF to save the day, which is not a luxury everyone has.

Props again to Valkyria I thought for sure we had no shot at a sequel, but now between the show and the devs and the sales it seems like we might.

Ashour

Holy crap, PS3 outsold the DS and PSP, can't imagine how the final game will affect the PS3.

Nice to see Valkyria there.

Kenka

Jonnyram said:

Oh my god :lol

A unreliable source, namely VG Chartz says the AC + demo version sold 40k. Is that true ?

Acosta

Tylahedras said:
Props again to Valkyria I thought for sure we had no shot at a sequel, but now between the show and the devs and the sales it seems like we might.

Well, let's not get the champagne yet. I'm really happy to see more sales for VC but we are speaking of humble numbers.

The most positive thing is seeing it around and not being forgotten. It may get a more solid base in case there is a sequel.

I'm sad for Murasama, that with such low numbers is at 25 doesn't looks good at all. Maybe Vanillaware should start thinking on digital distribution as a way to keep releasing the games they made.

Pachael

Acosta said:
Well, let's not get the champagne yet. I'm really happy to see more sales for VC but we are speaking of humble numbers.

The most positive thing is seeing it around and not being forgotten. It may get a more solid base in case there is a sequel.

I'm sad for Murasama, that with such low numbers is at 25 doesn't looks good at all. Maybe Vanillaware should start thinking on digital distribution as a way to keep releasing the games they made.

I say a lot with Valkyria but I do know that Sega is pushing the franchise really, really hard and they want it to succeed. (I'd say harder than some of their other IP released in the past few years, frankly). I would not be surprised if Sega does produce a sequel out of this.

Kenka said:
Oh my god :lol

A unreliable source, namely VG Chartz says the AC + demo version sold 40k. Is that true ?

It was confirmed by some tracker to have topped 100k.

Beaten by a mile. Gotta be fast on GAF hey.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jonnyram said:

Sacrificing business with exclusives on a (f)ailing platform in the territory isn't particularly wise. It's increasingly clear that their efforts are in vain. SE are not kingmakers any more. Or the only card that could potentially be used as a kingmaker seems out of play now (FF exclusivity).

Now, I could understand what you're saying if they were multiplatform with this stuff..with low porting costs, it's little or no harm to support 360...but not to the exclusion of other platforms where their bread could be buttered....?

Anyway, I don't think SE are that silly..I don't think they're going to continue to sacrifice their own business for Microsoft's interests or a dream of a balanced 3-system market in Japan, even with a money-hat or two. Even if Microsoft is compensating SE for exclusive support, SE has to ask themselves if that's worth the risk of losing mindshare over the longer term with every project that reaches a very and needlessly limited audience. The home market in Japan is unhealthy enough as it is, and I don't think 360 is the answer, much as SE might have hoped. They should be trying to get what they can..it's not really the right environment for higher risk moves to prop up an underdog.

Tylahedras said:

They'll probably sit on their systems til FFXIII is out :p SE could have them as a captive audience for other RPG titles in the meantime, but if they're not interested..

19. [PS3] Senjou no Valkyria, PlayStation 3 the Best (Sega) - 4,900 / 25,000

Best week that we know for the re-release:

03/02 - 03/08 - 4,700 / NEW
03/09 - 03/15 - ? / ?
03/16 - 03/22 - ? / ?
03/23 - 03/29 - ? / ?
03/30 - 04/05 - ? / ? <- (1st anime episode aired on 04/05)
04/06 - 04/12 - 4,300 / 21,000
04/13 - 04/19 - 4,900 / 25,000

4k average for the 4 weeks we didn't get its data. I don't like saying this but I told you its first week numbers were unusually high for a budget re-release. It keeps burning at a really good pace and it looks like its even trending up since the anime started airing. I don't know if the anime will be ~13 or ~25 episodes long but it should last at least until June end.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I don't know if the anime will be ~13 or ~25 episodes long but it should last at least until June end.
How far is the LTD from 200k now? It might actually reach it, right?

gofreak said:
Or the only card that could potentially be used as a kingmaker seems out of play now (FF exclusivity).
Wouldn't DQ be a more likely kingmaker?

Top Bottom