• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/13 - 04/19

onipex

Opiate said:
No, I assume he means third party support. Do you agree that the Wii and DS have both received far less support from third parties than one would presume given their market position?

If you disagree, why? If you agree (and I assume you do), how do you explain this? It is reasonable to believe the Sony and particularly Microsoft offer far more financial incentives to develop for their platform, including the possibilities that Stump mentioned in his excellent post two pages back. Which is to say: third parties haven't avoided Nintendo simply because of some irrational fear of Nintendo (although, to be honest, some of that may indeed be in there), but because Microsoft and Sony do a better job of courting third party publishers and providing more palatable fiscal environments.

I agree, and I also agree that the irrational fear, and Microsoft and Sony being better at courting are some of the reasons. I think Nintendo showing their plans for the Wii to 3rd parties so late in the game is also to blame.

I also think that there also seems to be an irrational fear of the Wii that can't be grouped with the same fear some may have for Nintendo.

jeremy1456

This thread is lacking in ridiculous-ness.

Link said:
As schuelma said, DQX is still so far off that it might not even make this generation, especially if the Wii continues its downward trend. SE will be forced to take action at that point. Hell, even if they stick with the plan, by the time it releases, it's gonna mean shit all in terms of impact. Clearly, the announcement itself did nothing in terms of bolstering support.

Crystal Chronicles is almost a running gag at this point.

Oh wait, maybe it's not. :D

Multi-platform is definately the future of JRPG.

The 360 exclusive and timed exclusive at least helped them carve out a hardcore niche in the Japanese market. But I think End of Eternity is the future, and most if not all "exclusive" 360 JRPG will eventually be on PS3 (Tales of Vesperia, and probably Star Ocean 4 and Last Remnant).

So it's not a total bust for MS or S-E/BandaiNamco (after all, you know they got compensated one way or the other IE moneyhats).

Link

The Autumn Wind
jeremy1456 said:
This thread is lacking in ridiculous-ness.

Oh wait, maybe it's not. :D
Are you gonna come up with a rebuttal or just use grinning smileys? I don't see anything wrong with what I posted. DQX is going to be released far too late into the generation to have any kind of impact on things. DQVII and VIII were both the same story, too. By the time they came out, everything had already been decided.

I'm willing to wait until E3 to see if any big Wii RPG announcements are made, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Arpharmd B said:
Multi-platform is definately the future of JRPG.

The 360 exclusive and timed exclusive at least helped them carve out a hardcore niche in the Japanese market. But I think End of Eternity is the future, and most if not all "exclusive" 360 JRPG will eventually be on PS3 (Tales of Vesperia, and probably Star Ocean 4 and Last Remnant).

So it's not a total bust for MS or S-E/BandaiNamco (after all, you know they got compensated one way or the other IE moneyhats).

It's the smarter choice at this point, especially considering a demo just outsold all of the HD games Square released so far.

jeremy1456

Link said:
Are you gonna come up with a rebuttal or just use grinning smileys? I don't see anything wrong with what I posted. DQX is going to be released far too late into the generation to have any kind of impact on things. DQVII and VIII were both the same story, too. By the time they came out, everything had already been decided.

I'm willing to wait until E3 to see if any big Wii RPG announcements are made, but I'm not holding my breath.

The simple fact that Square-Enix already have an engine to work with or DQX, and with that we don't know how long it's been in development for made it funny that you're already trying to convince yourself that DQX is coming next gen.

It's true that it won't decide anything.

Btw, E3 probably wouldn't be the time to wait for RPG announcements. I'd count more for TGS or Nintendo's October conference.

kiruyama said:
Wow, Oboro sold almost identically to OS's second:first week ratio (23.3% compared to 23.2%). 14.6% is OS's second week to ltd ratio, and so applying that to Oboro we get 38.4k. 63.1% is OS's first week to ltd ratio, and applying that to Oboro we get 38.0k. Looks fairly obvious where it'll end up, unless it really is supply constrained to a significant degree.

It is very much so. The game had a 90% sell through during its first week.

Opiate said:
I suppose, but if everyone acted like Nintendo, I doubt Nintendo would be in the software situation they are. The reason Nintendo is where they are is because they are fiscally conservative while other companies are apparently willing to lose billions of dollars to attract games to their platform. Which is to say, Nintendo (present day, mind you) really isn't doing anything wrong, but in comparison they seem stingy, because Microsoft and Sony are so eager to bleed money for years on end.

If everyone handled their business in a fiscally responsible fashion, I doubt there would be such a predilection towards Microsoft and aversion from Nintendo.

With all that said, I think this is occurring because Microsoft can afford it. It's a money war, basically. Microsoft is not known for the razor thin margins they run in the E&D divisions: remember that their overall profit margins are near 30%, frequently even higher than Nintendo's. Thus, the 360 does not fit their typical, mature business approach. Why would Microsoft allow this division to run at such low margins? I believe it's reasonable to conclude that they're willing to bleed money in order to force their competitors to bleed money -- precisely because they can bleed for a lot longer than Sony or Nintendo can.

Opiate said:
No, I assume he means third party support. Do you agree that the Wii and DS have both received far less support from third parties than one would presume given their market position?

If you disagree, why? If you agree (and I assume you do), how do you explain this? It is reasonable to believe the Sony and particularly Microsoft offer far more financial incentives to develop for their platform, including the possibilities that Stump mentioned in his excellent post two pages back. Which is to say: third parties haven't avoided Nintendo simply because of some irrational fear of Nintendo (although, to be honest, some of that may indeed be in there), but because Microsoft and Sony do a better job of courting third party publishers and providing more palatable fiscal environments.

Opiate said:
Let me emphasize this because it's an important point: Nintendo's profit margins are not unheard of. Their profit per employee is historic, but not their profit margins. Nintendo has typically run about 25% profit margins, which is very solid -- about what you'd expect for a company that's run as responsibly and successfully as Nintendo has been. Microsoft (the whole company, not E&D) runs 25-30% margins, for example. Microsoft is also a well run company. There are many companies (including large ones) that run at profit margins of 100% or greater, although few are in the tech field.

What this tells us is that Nintendo's profit margins are perfectly normal and healthy. It does not indicate unfairly greedy or underhanded business practice. What is abnormal, however, are the profoundly low profit margins Microsoft's E&D division has been run at, as well as Sony's Game division: even in their best times, Sony has only managed ~10% profit margins. Those are boom times for Sony Gaming. When they were kings of the market with nearly complete domination, their profit margins reached as high as 12% over any given 3 year period. If you aren't well versed in financial metrics, let me tell you unequivocally: that's not good.

To wit: based on the financial data available to us, it isn't that Nintendo is unreasonably greedy, it's that Sony and Microsoft are unreasonably liberal with their spending. In comparison, Nintendo seems greedy, but what they're doing now is exactly what a responsible and well run company should be doing. However, it's important to remember that Sony and particularly Microsoft don't have to be responsible: they can afford to be grossly generous, and they are doing so. Likely because they believe there is a larger payoff down the road, but whatever they're motivation, that's what they're doing.

Once again Opiate excellent posts. I've said this before and I'll say it again it's NINTENDO's job to get third parties on board to their console and if they don't want to bleed money to get them on board well that's their choice.

Link said:

You're going to compare the effects of a game on a successful system that already owns a vast majority of the hardware, software, and third party market versus one that doesn't? You're really going to reach THAT far?

Link

The Autumn Wind
jeremy1456 said:
The simple fact that Square-Enix already have an engine to work with or DQX, and with that we don't know how long it's been in development for made it funny that you're already trying to convince yourself that DQX is coming next gen.
I'm not trying to convince myself of that, just that it could be a possibility, though an unlikely one.

It's true that it won't decide anything.
This is all I'm really arguing.

Btw, E3 probably wouldn't be the time to wait for RPG announcements. I'd count more for TGS or Nintendo's October conference.
How long are we supposed to wait for these supposed announcements? It's 2009!

Flying_Phoenix said:
You're going to compare the effects of a game on a successful system that already owns a vast majority of the hardware, software, and third party market versus one that doesn't? You're really going to reach THAT far?
Fine, let's take that statement out. How does it change the argument?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Just wanted to chime in and thank Opiate once again for giving us all some perspective.

I would never have guessed that Sony's profit margins at their prime didn't even amount to half of Nintendo's. Conversely, while I didn't think Nintendo's profit margins to be those of an extremely greedy company, I'm still surprised that they're just those of a typical well-run company.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PS3 62,527
PSP 40,065
DSi 38,287
Wii 13,221
Xbox 360 8,652
DS Lite 6,438
PS2 4,230

damn at PS3..even higher than famitsu

AniHawk

Sony's done a pretty remarkable job at turning around the PS3 and PSP in Japan. Too bad that success hasn't been duplicated elsewhere.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wait why so many PS3s?

EDIT: Oh, FFXIII, FFVIIACC

jeremy1456

AniHawk said:
Sony's done a pretty remarkable job at turning around the PS3 and PSP in Japan. Too bad that success hasn't been duplicated elsewhere.

I think the PS3 has yet to prove it's successfully turned around.

The PSP on the other hand is doing quite well.

Link said:
Fine, let's take that statement out. How does it change the argument?

That the Wii could still garner some hype and support to have Square-Enix or a few developers put a game or two on their with the growing RPG market. Just look at what DQIX did to the DS even though it's releasing 5 years after the consoles launch.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ether_Snake said:
Wait why so many PS3s?
FFXIII Demo

EDIT -
Flying_Phoenix said:
That the Wii could still garner some hype and support to have Square-Enix or a few developers put a game or two on their with the growing RPG market. Just look at what DQIX did to the DS even though it's releasing 5 years after the consoles launch.
Uhh, that's what I'm saying. That SE isn't going to give anything else. They've given absolute crap otherwise so far, and that doesn't seem to be changing with recent announcements.

DQIX did nothing for the DS. It was already a juggernaut by the time it was announced. That's pretty much why it was announced for it.

I know this is page 2 old, but...

Hunahan said:
(Post of awesome)

Capcom has been remarkable this generation on many levels. If you're looking for a benchmark within Japanese companies seeking to gain worldwide business, they are undoubtedly the firm to which all fingers should be pointing.

Holy shit, yes. I was thinking about trying to knock together a current-gen Capcom appreciation thread earlier today, but decided I wasn't qualified to detail it properly (and I didn't want to deal with the backlash headache and try-hard "clever" retorts). Capcom has just done an amazing job of appealing to everybody, and has done so intelligently.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nice numbers for the PS3, it's about what I expected. ~50k additional sales with the FXIII demo, actually thought there was a chance it'd be even higher.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is this a new low for Wii sales actually? This is smaller than last week and I think that was its smallest this year.

spwolf

Minsc said:
Nice numbers for the PS3, it's about what I expected. ~50k additional sales with the FXIII demo, actually thought there was a chance it'd be even higher.[/QUOTE]

well as I said few pages back, it wont take long :)

bttb said:
Media Create Software Totals
Code:
					Sales Units
Week 14, 2009				   790,499
Week 15, 2009				   671,208
Week 16, 2009				   703,770
Total 2009				18,577,769
Week 16, 2009
- Total sales are 703,770 (104.85% of last week).
- There are 15 new releases this week, accounting for 27.99% of all sales.

- "PMD: Explorers of the Sky" sold 142k in 2 days. "Explorers of Time" (FW = 300k) / "Explorers of Darkness" (FW = 269k).
- "FFVII: ACC" (Blu-ray) sold 275k including bundles.
- Xbox 360 hardware sales pass 1 million after 3 years and 4 months.

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

wow

markatisu

Nirolak said:
Is this a new low for Wii sales actually? This is smaller than last week and I think that was its smallest this year.

Yeah but the drop was ~100k, thats actually a better drop than MC had been doing lately with its 1k+ drops

Not that its great, but I next week "should" at least be back up to normal levels and if not then I guess they are going to be in a world of hurt if the demo of MH3 could not even get it up over 18k

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Replicant said:
Enchanted Arms would like to talk to you. It's not Namco, but still.

What would it like to say?

US:
Enchanted Arms 360 as of January 2008 (leaked on a public site, no special sources here, rounded to nearest 10k since we have no intent to step on NPD's toes): ~140,000
Enchanted Arms PS3 as of January 2008 ("): ~60,000

Japan:
EA 360 20,233
EA PS3 38,703

Total PS3: ~100,000
Total 360: ~160,000

... and since the debate is about US/Japan, we don't even need to make any assumptions about Euro data! We've got all we need!

gtj1092

Looking at those numbers all I can think of is that thread around the launch of MGS4 that said the Ps3 was pretty much done selling. And that the further release of so called core franchises would do nothing to increase the sales of hardware because anyone who wanted those games had already purchased a Ps3.:lol :lol :lol

gtj1092 said:
Looking at those numbers all I can think of is that thread around the launch of MGS4 that said the Ps3 was pretty much done selling. And that the further release of so called core franchises would do nothing to increase the sales of hardware because anyone who wanted those games had already purchased a Ps3.:lol :lol :lol

Fuck im so sick of hearing that one, these idiots think like, if thats the case every consoles sales would just get to a point and stop completely.

gtj1092 said:
It's about as laughable as what you're trying to say.

markatisu

aerts1js said:
Sony has to be happy with PSP

fixed

I think Sony will be happy when they can maintain 20-30k a week because that will be an indication that things are really turning around. The PS3 was on its way back down (slowly but on its way) so I do not think they are rejoicing just yet.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kagari said:
It's the smarter choice at this point, especially considering a demo just outsold all of the HD games Square released so far.
Exactly. How many more sales do these companies need to look at to see that these games belong on the PS3 at least.

Top Bottom