• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/13 - 04/19

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Exactly. How many more sales do these companies need to look at to see that these games belong on the PS3 at least.
Yeah. I'm so excited for DQIX on DS but that doesn't mean I don't want to see DQ done on Cell ASAP.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Exactly. How many more sales do these companies need to look at to see that these games belong on the PS3 at least.

If WKC and FFXIII demo dont tell them I dont know what will. I look forward to seeing EoE and the PS3 Tales of Vesperia numbers.

LiquidMetal14 said:

There's only one major Japanese company that really isn't supporting the PS3, and that's Square. If you look at all the other major Japanese devs they're supporting it. So you can turn "companies" into "company".

Tenbatsu said:
Shipment, but its the top seller for new releases.

Dang. I gotta admit I didn't expect Monster Hunter to do too well on the Wii in Japan. This seems like a positive sign.

Link said:
Uhh, that's what I'm saying. That SE isn't going to give anything else. They've given absolute crap otherwise so far, and that doesn't seem to be changing with recent announcements.

So Square-Enix won't give the Wii ANYTHING else that isn't "crap" for its entire lifespan? I hardly doubt that "My Life as a King" Sequel and the "Final Fantasy IV" sequel are crap, unless you are solely focusing on the retail front?

Can I have that crystal ball you are using. I mean if I recall weren't you still making claims that Square-Enix and other third parties would never give the Wii a top-tier game right before Dragon Quest X was announced?

Even then so I was mostly referring to other developers/publishers. Not to mention Square-Enix haven't really announced anything significant for consoles since Dragon Quest X other then an unannounced action game and a "rumored" Front Mission for the 360 (which was actually announced ages ago). I mean really so far at this point the company hasn't done much on consoles aside from the 360 (when even then the output isn't so great). While the PS3 is getting pretty much nothing but a multiplat. As a whole Square-Enix seems to have put their focus on the DS as of recent. Thinking of it it seems that all of Japan is split toward supporting multiple consoles at once or focusing on different ones during specific times. You're acting as if Square-Enix is only ignoring and shunning the Wii.Then again this hardly has anything to do with the topic at hand.

Link said:
DQIX did nothing for the DS. It was already a juggernaut by the time it was announced. That's pretty much why it was announced for it.

Yeah maybe in terms of hardware sales. But in terms of software support it wasn't until Dragon Quest IX that the DS received it's RPG blowout and with some serious titles announced for it here and there. Prior to Dragon Quest IX most Japanese third parties really didn't attempt to take DS support by the horns. That's why it's announcement was so shocking for its time because there weren't really any other "big" or "relevant third party games on the DS. But since then we've seen games like Tales of Innocence, Phantasy Star Zero, The World Ends With You, and the likes released for the platform as well as many other publishers really starting to step it up on the system. Games like the Final Fantasy 3D remake series (primarily FFIII for this example) went from "one of the most relevant and epic games you can get for the system" to "just another Square-Enix remake". So saying that it did "nothing" is just ridiculous.

Even now the DS third party support is lacking of, how should I say this, huge or relevant titles but I have no doubt that the announcement of Dragon Quest IX turned some heads of third parties. I'm not saying that the Wii will become RPG or even male demographic haven, just that there will be a few new games here and there.

farnham

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Sounds like Wada is a great businessman.
i dont know the recent sales of

star ocean 4 and infinite undiscovery as well as last remnant in the US dont justify his decisions really

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SE didn't fund development of IU. They managed to ship 400k of those. Was it a bad decision? Not at all.

Brofist

farnham said:
i dont know the recent sales of

star ocean 4 and infinite undiscovery as well as last remnant in the US dont justify his decisions really

I don't think he was being serious with that comment ;)

icecream

Public Health Threat
Error said:
SE didn't fund development of IU. They managed to ship 400k of those. Was it a bad decision? Not at all.
No one's really complaining about IU. It's an MS IP anyway.

But what about SO4? TLR? FFXIII 360? Were those good decisions?

cvxfreak

icecream said:

FFXIII 360 probably was, if you mean by deciding to bring the game to 360.

Leaving it out of Japan wasn't a good idea.

sankao

icecream said:

What about TLR ? If anything, any minute they spent working on the PS3 version has been lost so far. I don't think they made any decision concerning the PS3 version, it's just not working, period.

icecream said:

XIII was a good decision in the grand scheme of things. They'll get additional sales in the west which was the whole point of putting it on the 360. The one that sticks out as a very bad decision is SO4, especially when you look at its sales in comparison to SO3's. There is a major dropoff.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I don't see how TLR is a bad decision. It's not an MS exclusive for once, and it's on PC. The PS3 version is not out, but I think that has more to do with SE incompetence when it comes to UE3, than anything else.

As for SO4. I really doubt tri-Ace is not going to release a DC for PS3, if that happens then I don't see how SO4 is a bad decision either.

Not every game needs to sell a million copies to be successful, there's a lot of stuff that comes into play. We don't know how much MS paid for marketing for any of those titles for once, among others things.

Error said:
I don't see how TLR is a bad decision. It's not an MS exclusive for once, and it's on PC. The PS3 version is not out, but I think that has more to do with SE incompetence when it comes to UE3, than anything else.

As for SO4. I really doubt tri-Ace is not going to release a DC for PS3, if that happens then I don't see how SO4 is a bad decision either.

Not every game needs to sell a million copies to be successful, there's a lot of stuff that comes into play. We don't know how much MS paid for marketing for any of those titles for once, among others things.
It's still bad for the series, which is what matters the most.

lherre

Accurate
FF13 360 is good S-E decision, bad decision is "delay" ps3 west version to make a launch with the 360 version. If you think that "locate" ps3 version takes the same time to port ps3 version to 360 ...

Spiegel

I'm surprised Dsi and Psp are so close. When the redesign was announced last year I thought it was game over for psp (relatively speaking)

Flying_Phoenix said:
Dang. I gotta admit I didn't expect Monster Hunter to do too well on the Wii in Japan. This seems like a positive sign.

Really? You don't expect the Monster Hunter 3 demo to be the top seller on a week when only "niche" and shooter games are released?

sankao

lherre said:
FF13 360 is good S-E decision, bad decision is "delay" ps3 west version to make a launch with the 360 version. If you think that "locate" ps3 version takes the same time to port ps3 version to 360 ...
If you think that the porting will only start after the PS3 release...

onipex said:
They have some of the top selling software this gen. At least 5 of the 10 top are from Nintendo.
If "this gen" means DS/PSP/X360/PS3/Wii, the only of the top 10 that isn't published by Nintendo/Pokémon is Monster Hunter Portable 2 G. The only two of the top 20 that aren't published by Nintendo/Pokémon are Monster Hunter Portable 2 G and Monster Hunter Portable 2.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Spiegel said:
I'm surprised Dsi and Psp are so close. When the redesign was announced last year I thought it was game over for psp (relatively speaking)

It`s not like you can play Monster and Hunter and Co. now on the DSi :)

gtj1092

BishopLamont said:
It's about as laughable as what you're trying to say.

Always on the offensive huh. So you believe it to be true yet a demo just spiked sales by 50K. And the last two big releases also spiked sales.

Thinking about it some more I think it was PantherLotus who made that point.

Spiegel

Sinobi

WII Monster Hunter 3 demo (+ Monster Hunter G) 92k
Classic controller edition 65k - Normal edition 27k

PS3 Killzone 2 ~20k
PSP Disaster Report 3 ~20k
360 Death Smiles 8700
360 Tom Clancy's HAWX 6200

Spiegel said:
WII Monster Hunter 3 demo (+ Monster Hunter G) 92k
Classic controller edition 65k - Normal edition 27k
Wow. This might do better than the original Monster Hunter G. My Sales-Age instincts say that the series should be more front-loaded now than four years ago... but the omnipresence of the PSP games on the lists says that's not necessarily the case here.
2077+-+Monster+Hunter+G+-+PS2

lherre said:
The cute part of this is that you think Square is lying, but only about that the length of localization and not when they're actually starting the porting process.

cw_sasuke

First Day Sales Battle

FF13 Demo vs. MH Tri

100K vs. 90K ?

btw. Nice sales for MHG - i`m optimistic for Tri.

Spiegel

cw_sasuke said:
First Day Sales Battle

FF13 Demo vs. MH Tri

100K vs. 90K ?

btw. Nice sales for MHG - i`m optimistic for Tri.

We only know FF:ACC sold 100k+ first day (not 100k). First week sales were 275k

lherre

Accurate
sankao said:
If you think that the porting will only start after the PS3 release...

Well, If you think that FF13 will appear in wester territories before winter 2010 ... and locate the game will be more than a year ... I'm sure that the porting started some time ago, but is clear that the location could be started tiem before too.

Oldschool said:
Good numbers for Disaster Report 3 I think. Was it better than the ps2 iterations?
First one on PS2 had a first week of 56K and eventually reached 149K. I'm not finding the second, so either it managed to completely avoid the charts, or I've horribly mangled both its name and publisher in the database.

EDIT: The latter is closer. A difference in publisher listing of "Irem" vs "Irem Software Engineering" and a title that looks to be a transliteration of the Japanese.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Better for MH G than I expected. I was thinking 125K or so for the week..should do more than that easily.

Kenka

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (04/23)

[WII] Monster Hunter G (Capcom) - SP 65,000 (60%) / SE 27,000 (30%)
[PS3] Killzone 2 (SCE) - 20,000 (45%)
[PSP] Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3: Kowareyuku Machi no Kanojo no Uta (Irem Software Engineering) - 19,000 (35%)
[360] Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. (Ubisoft) - 6,000 (40%)
[360] DeathSmiles (Cave) - LE 5,000 (65%) / SE 4,000 (60%)
[NDS] A Ressha de Gyoukou DS (Artdink) - 4,500 (30%)
[PSP] Nantama: Chronicle of Dungeon Maker (Global A Entertainment) - 2,000 (25%)
[NDS] Mezase!! Tsuri Master DS (Hudson) - 1,500 (7%)
[NDS] Zaidanhoujin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Koushiki Soft: 250 Banjin no Kanken Premium - Zenkyuu Zen-Kanji Kanzen Seiha (IE Institute) - 800 (3%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1240505017/110

Retailers misjudged the quantities to be sold for each version. The inclusion of the pad was a good decision.

AniHawk

bttb said:
[WII] Monster Hunter G (Capcom) - SP 65,000 (60%) / SE 27,000 (30%)

90,000 first day? Count me surprised. I really thought this would be pretty weak on the Wii.

Bodes well for MH3 too. Maybe I was wrong to write it off.

BishopLamont said:
It's still bad for the series, which is what matters the most.

Oh well? For most the game's popularity was linked to either the battle system or the cutscenes and people heard way more about the latter. Sure 360 owners aren't exactly mature but they know what they like and the crap that's talked about when SO4 is mentioned wasn't it. I liked the game but I'd still put Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia(which I haven't even played yet), or even Onechanbara over it when recommending a game to someone else because SO4 is simply embarrassing outside of combat/exploration(at least with Onechanbara you know what you're getting into cause you see a girl in lingerie with a sword on the cover).

It should have went multiplatform and I figure if Tri-Ace can get EoE working well on the PS3 they'll followup with an SO4 DC or something at a later time. Seeing as how MS has their foot in the door now thanks to them more or less financing IU & to a lesser extent SO4 it seems they've accomplished what they set out to do. Sony probably could and should have done something about all this but it seems more likely they weren't in the position to do anything(they're bleeding enough without considering "bribes" or whatever).

In the end seeing as how Tri-Ace has been so quick to move from project to project tells me they're not hurting that badly from SO4's failure(and they got a spiffy little engine out of the deal as well that they'll probably use, revamp, and re-use for the remainder of this gen). Maybe it's because they're spending Microsoft's money? Who knows.

bttb said:
[360] DeathSmiles (Cave) - LE 5,000 (65%) / SE 4,000 (60%)
Hmm not bad.

Kenka

200'000 copies sold for the first week should be an appreciable performance for Capcom. Let's hope the game launches hard.

schuelma

Kenka said:
Retailers misjudged the quantities to be sold for each version. The inclusion of the pad was a good decision.

Yeah. Should have done more CC bundles.

cw_sasuke

schuelma said:
Yeah. Should have done more CC bundles.

Guess they will have more CC Pro Bundles when Tri comes out.

btw. Since MHG will be on No.1 next week, which 3rd party wii game was the last one on the top of the charts ?

schuelma

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wow. This might do better than the original Monster Hunter G. My Sales-Age instincts say that the series should be more front-loaded now than four years ago... but the omnipresence of the PSP games on the lists says that's not necessarily the case here.

Also, whether by incompetence or strategy, MH G will basically be alone as a desirable Wii purchase for Golden Week. I can see it selling well for at least a couple more weeks.

Top Bottom