• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/17 - 09/23 2007

Ahhh I do believe I called Mario Strikers at 30k a few weeks ago. Now let's see if my 27k for the Wii holds out.

To think nobody had the bollocks to agree with me at the time. ;)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
53cef59d.jpg

tehbear

Slurpy said:
Damn, SSB better get here quick to save the wii in Japan.

Save it from what? A 3-to-1 install base advantage against the 2nd place console? I thought Wii fans weren't so rash as to worry about a combination of pre-holiday lull x Wii Sports saturation bringing Wii down to merely mortal levels.

ccbfan

FF7CC might reach a mil after the whatever special international version they always release. I doubt the original run it'll reach 1 mil.

Ouch for the 2 new Wii games.

Especially Strikers. Actually I'm floored by how bad strikers did. Is this the biggest bomb so far on the Wii? You'd think a system that people been complaining has no new games would have a userbase that would snap this game up. I mean Soccer game with Mario characters? I find this much more concerning that the drastic drop in Wii sales. Its a good game with popular characters that bombed, its not like Wii's userbase been wowing us with their selective game choices. I like my handhelds as much as the next guys but I do not want all my favorite Japanese series on handhelds cause the consoles in Japan can't sell anything but non-game and mini game collections.

tehbear

ZealousD said:
Oh shi-

Did a Mosou title just bomb?

Well granted it was only a bad musou title
don't say all of them :p

Seriously a X-fest replaced by Wiimote swinging will destroy even mighty WiiSport vets.

ccbfan said:
FF7CC might reach a mil after the whatever special international version they always release. I doubt the original run it'll reach 1 mil.

Ouch for the 2 new Wii games.

Especially Strikers. Actually I'm floored by how bad strikers did. Is this the biggest bomb so far on the Wii? You'd think a system that people been complaining has no new games would have a userbase that would snap this game up. I mean Soccer game with Mario characters? I find this much more concerning that the drastic drop in Wii sales. Its a good game with popular characters that bombed, its not like Wii's userbase been wowing us with their selective game choices. I like my handhelds as much as the next guys but I do not want all my favorite Japanese series on handhelds cause the consoles in Japan can't sell anything but non-game and mini game collections.
Nah, Dewey's a way bigger bomb.

As for Strikers, it's a pretty minimal update of the original. The biggest addition is online play, and I think that means more to NA folk than Japanese.

Of course, Strikers isn't the first or only "game-game" to bomb on Wii, so a pattern could definitely be forming if things don't change.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Knastluder said:
What did you expect from a title that looks like an early ps2 game ?1 Billion in revenue ?
:lol ;)

You thought the game sole poorly because of the graphics?

Have you been following the Wii at all? Dewy's Adventure is one of the best looking Wii game out right now and it's bombed harder than Hiroshima.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
No surprises from the Wii's decline. Someone had said it before in the last week's M-C thread that Nintendo should have released another Wii Sports title to keep the momentum going till Wii Fit, and it mostly seems to be ringing true. Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. Brawl might go at it a bit more, but it's the more simple games that is creating the Wii monster into a DS clone.

I wonder what an Animal Crossing will do for the console.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Of course, Strikers isn't the first or only "game-game" to bomb on Wii, so a pattern could definitely be forming if things don't change.

What are the others? (serious question here, nothing pops into my mind immediately)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
speedpop said:
No surprises from the Wii's decline. Someone had said it before in the last week's M-C thread that Nintendo should have released another Wii Sports title to keep the momentum going till Wii Fit, and it mostly seems to be ringing true. Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. Brawl might go at it a bit more, but it's the more simple games that is creating the Wii monster into a DS clone.

I wonder what an Animal Crossing will do for the console.

Isn't the whole industry declining right now in Japan at the moment? Save the PSP everything has been down.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I can only surmise that it was cheesmeister and not nintendomination that brought the peeps to these threads every week. Hardware about to drop and we are only on page 2?

inconceivable

EDIT: shit I thought it was Thursday already :lol

me am smart!

scola said:
I can only surmise that it was cheesmeister and not nintendomination that brought the peeps to these threads every week. Hardware about to drop and we are only on page 2?

inconceivable

Everyone off playing halo 3?

um anyone expecting a western developed game to perform well in japan's got another thing coming.

just 2 weeks ago, GTA opened to 15.5k sells for PS2
Strikers nearly doubled that

schuelma said:
What are the others? (serious question here, nothing pops into my mind immediately)
I'd say anything under Dragon Ball Tenkaichi is vastly underperforming...and things like Dewey, Musou, and the like are just doing straight-up terrible no matter what angle you look at. This is becoming a very real problem. Time will tell if it sorts out.

schuelma

tetrisgrammaton said:
um anyone expecting a western developed game to perform well in japan's got another thing coming.

I'm pretty sure the original did much better.

ZealousD said:
You thought the game sole poorly because of the graphics?

Have you been following the Wii at all? Dewy's Adventure is one of the best looking Wii game out right now and it's bombed harder than Hiroshima.

Don't get me wrong I'm absolutely not a graphic whore and yes I've been following Dewy's Adventures horrible sales which is kind of sad because it seems they have put so much effort in the game .

apujanata

grandjedi6 said:
I'm sure Crisis Core can make a million with 109,000 second week. Final Fantasy III for the DS made a million too eventually

FF7:CC (M-create)
First Week : 487K
Second Week : 109K

FF3 (All Famitsu)
First week : 501,701
Second week : 52K (supply constrain)
Third Week : 52K (no drop, proof of supply constrain)
Week 4 : 66K (further proof of supply constrain in week 2)
Week 5 : 58K
Week 6 : 40K

You noticed that Week 2 - 6 is quite consistent for FF3 ? I will be very surprised if FF7:CC managed to sell above 30K in the 4th or 5th week.

I am quite sure that Crisis Core will not made a million.

The only way for CC to reach 1 million is through PSP the Best or FF7:CC International or something like that.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ZealousD said:
Isn't the whole industry declining right now in Japan at the moment? Save the PSP everything has been down.
There is this point too and most of the M-C vets have no idea why except the usual slow period of the year statement. As always the next several weeks will be interesting.

tetrisgrammaton said:

You are so incredibly full of it. When I tossed out that 30k number a few weeks ago, people thought it was a flat-out joke. Virtually everyone expected it to do better, with some going as high as 150k.

It's a shitty number. Make all the excuses you feel like. It won't change that shitty number.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'd say anything under Dragon Ball Tenkaichi is vastly underperforming...and things like Dewey, Musou, and the like are just doing straight-up terrible no matter what angle you look at. This is becoming a very real problem. Time will tell if it sorts out.

I'll certainly defer to your experience as I'm a newcomer to Sales Age, but just comparing the Wii to PS3 software wise it seems like Wii is much healthier at this point. (even without Wii Sports/ Wii Play).

schuelma said:
I'll certainly defer to your experience as I'm a newcomer to Sales Age, but just comparing the Wii to PS3 software wise it seems like Wii is much healthier at this point. (even without Wii Sports/ Wii Play).
Selling better than 'fuck-awful' isn't always something to be happy about. If I were a Japan-focused third party that didn't want to make mini-game collections, I wouldn't even bother looking at the home console market anymore.

Jiggy

tehbear said:
I hate you
r opinion and how it's reflective of market sentiment in Japan.
Like a lot of others, I think Wii would still be doing very well if it had even one more mass-appeal game.
I don't think Japan's given up on home consoles simply because they're home consoles, but rather because those systems have almost nothing for them to play right now. 360 was dead on arrival, PS3 has Hot Shots Golf and that's it, and Wii has Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Mario Party 8 and that's it... at least for Japanese tastes. But this has already been echoed or implied by a lot of others here, so eh. I'll leave it alone. >_>

ccbfan

What I don't understand about the Wii userbase in Japan is that there has been 0 over-performing traditional games. Wii has very few high profile traditional games, usually a low profile game takes advantage of the situation and does way higher than expected numbers. I mean people need something to play. In the US we see stuff like Red Steel and RE4. In Japan, it's like "WTF are the traditional gamers playing."

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
Selling better than 'fuck-awful' isn't always something to be happy about. If I were a Japan-focused third party that didn't want to make mini-game collections, I wouldn't even bother looking at the home console market anymore.

Generally, what is considered "good" in the Japanese market? Just trying to get some perspective here..

schuelma

ccbfan said:
What I don't understand about the Wii userbase in Japan is that there has been 0 over-performing traditional games. Wii has very few high profile traditional games, usually a low profile game takes advantage of the situation and does way higher than expected numbers. I mean people need something to play. In the US we see stuff like Red Steel and RE4. In Japan, it's like "WTF are the traditional gamers playing."

I want to say that SPM did better than its predecessors, but that's all I got.

ccbfan

schuelma said:

What you state is exactly why many gamers are petrified at the current situation in Japan. I just want a home console to be able to sell games I like. Any console, it doesn't matter which. The fact that 0 console has shown any ability to do so is whats scary.

schuelma

On this topic, I feel like a month or so ago, someone produced a comparison between PS2 game sales in its first year compared to Wii, and I thought I remembered Wii comparing pretty favorably. Was that Josh?

ccbfan said:
They're playing PSP and DS. Mostly DS.

This isn't rocket science guys.

ccbfan

apujanata said:
http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/gc.php
According to japan-gamecharts (Moor Angol use Famitsu), the first week is only 69K. It is much better than the one on Wii, for sure.

Poor Strikers Charged. Online does not really help you. The only way for it to go past the GCN LTD (192K), is for it to have a better leg.

Even sadder is that GCN was basically dead when it came out. The Wii is by far the most popular home console that is in a game drought. All factors points to this game over-performing.

Segata Sanshiro said:
You are so incredibly full of it. When I tossed out that 30k number a few weeks ago, people thought it was a flat-out joke. Virtually everyone expected it to do better, with some going as high as 150k.

It's a shitty number. Make all the excuses you feel like. It won't change that shitty number.

maybe it did so bad cause its on PSP? and psp is doomed in japan.

Segata Sanshiro said:

well the install base for the cube when Strikers hit in 06 was at least a million greater than the Wii's current base.

the original sold 75k

schuelma

tetrisgrammaton said:
well the install base for the cube when Strikers hit in 06 was at least a million greater than the Wii's current base.

the original sold 75k

You're drowning dude, just give it up and admit it underperformed...drastically.

Top Bottom