• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/17 - 09/23 2007

maxmars

Jiggy37 said:
Wouldn't surprise me if some of the low Strikers sales can be attributed to the art style. Not that the GC game wasn't already heading in that direction stylistically, but they really amped up the I AM ANGER factor in the Wii game... Almost in a Western sort of sense.

Also, the game is absolutely freaking hardcore. It's all gameplay, and brutal at that. Probably does not match very well with current Japanese gamers tastes.

But now in 2007, when DS has been in a staggering drought for the whole year.

I game almost exclusively on my DS nowadays, and I don't recall any stretches where there were a lack of things to play on my system. Maybe it's because I just don't buy a new game until I finish an old one (which assures that there's always plenty of older games to pick up on the cheap), but... yeah.

farnham

Banned
its a very nice thing that the PSP finally shows some sales.. but unfortunately for the platform its way to late.. they should have done that back when the DS lite launched..

AniHawk

Jiggy37 said:
But now in 2007, when DS has been in a staggering drought for the whole year.

Agreed on this end. Phoenix Wright 2, Hotel Dusk, Pokemon Pearl, and Sonic Rush Advance are the only 2007 releases I bought. There are three more for the rest of the year, but nothing I can see beyond them except Apollo Justice, AWDS 2, and DQIX whenever they hit the States.

Actually, 2008 looks pretty barren for any system that isn't the PS3 (because Sony doesn't actually have anything all that compelling for 2007).

Jonnyram

farnham said:
its a very nice thing that the PSP finally shows some sales.. but unfortunately for the platform its way to late.. they should have done that back when the DS lite launched..
I envision a similar thing happening with PS3 actually. FFXIII will come out a couple of years down the line, and the numbers will be "ok, but not great" and the whole cycle will repeat. It's kind of like the GC / Xbox position last gen - not a total failure, decent software sales, but nothing to feel triumphant about either. Maybe PSP2 will be like Wii/360.

AniHawk said:
Agreed on this end. Phoenix Wright 2, Hotel Dusk, Pokemon Pearl, and Sonic Rush Advance are the only 2007 releases I bought. There are three more for the rest of the year, but nothing I can see beyond them except Apollo Justice, AWDS 2, and DQIX whenever they hit the States.

Buy Etrian Odyssey!

And Ouendan 2.

AniHawk

Pureauthor said:
Buy Etrian Odyssey!

And Ouendan 2.

I don't import games and I don't have the time for RPGs much these days unless they're just pure awesome like Fire Emblem.

If I hadn't already beaten Soul Nomad over and over and over and over and over I probably would've bought it though.

Jiggy

Pureauthor said:
I game almost exclusively on my DS nowadays, and I don't recall any stretches where there were a lack of things to play on my system. Maybe it's because I just don't buy a new game until I finish an old one (which assures that there's always plenty of older games to pick up on the cheap), but... yeah.
If I adopted that system of buying habits, I probably wouldn't feel a drought either. Oh, what I'd do with the bargain bins...

A few things:

- Crisis Core will not reach a million unless PSP continues having near 300k sales and FF7 keeps >100k for two or three more weeks. Which is fairly unlikely with a front-loaded, well-known franchise like FF7. The ones who wanted to play this game have already bought it, there is no more appeal outside those.

- Super Mario Strikers is a failure, look at Mario Party being resurrected with Wii popularity. SMS didn't even match the first one numbers.

- Sengoku Musou KATANA not only is a failure but also a train wreck, it was supposed to come out at Wii launch.

- MGSPO+ has done extremely well and its going to make PO a 500k seller. MGS is a series where re-releases with bonuses do good but this one has done better than Substance, Subsistence or VR Missions first week.

- Hello Taiko DS and MHP2!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Super Mario Strikers is a failure, look at Mario Party being resurrected with Wii popularity. SMS didn't even match the first one numbers.
Yes, which is a shame as SMS is 2x better than the original and 3x better than Mario Party. Actually SMS is a riot when played with 4 players, even my Pro Evo friends boot it all the time, which says a lot as they usually don't play anything else than PES. But well, maybe this game is an european thing only.

Laguna

Banned
Raw64life said:
Software:

01. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - 109,000 / 595,000
02. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus - 93,000 / NEW

under 16k
11. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (Deluxe Pack)
26. [PSP] Fate/Tiger Colosseum
30. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable: 2nd

PSP - 5

What a let down. Yes good sales for CC:FF7 and MGPO for sure. But this weeks software sales barely match this weeks hardware PSP sales even with two BIG PSP titles in charts. What are the other 5 Mio PSP owners doing? It´s possible that most of this weeks PSP hardware sales are thanks to rebuyers.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Mario Strikers Charged outsold Super Mario Strikers by a large margin in USA and Europe right?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Mario Strikers BOMBA? (In Japan) Scary stuff, first mis-step by Nintendo (In Japan) on Wii confirmed.

Also, one question, if PSP sold 250k + this week, (Going by reports), what the hell are they all playing? even if EVERY piece of software went to new buyers, the games in the top 30 chart barely covers a 1:1 tie ratio, ouch.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Holy fuck.

Okay, even allowing your silly proportions, 19k less when you're dealing with numbers like 65k is yes, a pretty fucking bad drop. And early January is suddenly a better selling season than late September? Really? Really??

Basically is the same, middle January (when SMS GC was released) comes after the holiday season, end of September comes after huge summer sales and it's near to October, when sales are at the lowest point of the year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Stop It said:
Also, one question, if PSP sold 250k + this week, (Going by reports), what the hell are they all playing? even if EVERY piece of software went to new buyers, the games in the top 30 chart barely covers a 1:1 tie ratio, ouch.

I guess many of those who bought the slim already owned a normal PSP. Then they already have software. Another reason can be that piracy through download is easily avalible for PSP so people download the games instead.

I wonder how many people do you think there are that buy a new console with 5 games...launches always have low tie ratios, even more if its a redesign (which means less new software than a normal launch). Just remember PS2 or PS3 launches and thats with 5-15 new games released alongside them.

Last week PSP had 5:1 tie ratio just with FF7CC, if you don't count FF7CC LE, they sold 400k FF7CC and 20k hardware, imagine the tie ratio. This week PSP had just 1 important software launch and it did great.

I don't see 19m DS owners and 20m PS2 owners buying something every week, I don't know why I should see 6m PSP owners doing that.

justjohn

btw i'm expecting a shocker next week with ps3 and 360 hardware numbers. halo should move 360 to at least 14000. although oblivion for the ps3 comes out as well so ps3 hardware might get a tiny bump as well. anyway should be interesting, cant wait.

Laguna

Banned
This are just lame exuses. We are talking about big sellers like FF7CC second week and MGPO first week sales and the tie ratio for this week didn´t match 1:1. Besides PS3 I haven´t seen any platform to perform that bad in that department. If you compare weekly software sales to weekly hardware sales for every other platform you´ll see that the former had been always higher. But this is no news for PSP this happened often to that system in past. That is also the main reason why the support has shrunken alot compared to last year (look at CESAs TGS study for reference).

Laguna said:
This are just lame exuses. We are talking about big sellers like FF7CC second week and MGPO first week sales and the tie ratio for this week didn´t match 1:1. Besides PS3 I haven´t seen any platform to perform that bad in that department. If you compare weekly software sales to weekly hardware sales for every other platform you´ll see that the former had been always higher. But this is no news for PSP this happened often to that system in past. That is also the main reason why the support has shrunken alot compared to last year (look at CESAs TGS study for reference).
Either you are new here and don't know how consoles launches work or you are just trying to downplay PSP.

I'll tell you again. DS has 19m userbase, PS2 20m and PSP 6m. Do you see them buying something every week? No. They are there to buy games when the games are released. FF7CC was released last week and did very good. MGS PO budget re-release was released this week and did very good.

PSP Slim launched this week, sold 250k. Unlike first launch, a good chunk of the 250k can be from already PSP owners buying the redesign. How many games do you expect a PSP owner to buy along the 20k yen redesign?

Look at other launches (PSP, DS, PS3, PS2, Wii...) to see the tie ratios the first week, and thats with 10-15 new software titles plus all new owners.

Wii. Wii. Look at me. Here. Here, look at me in the eyes. Look at me.

Look over there. See the PSP? It's in the limelight now. Hardware sales are great! They've always been great but now they are greater. It's a decent handheld that's managed to stand up to Nintendo's proud and storied tradition of handheld gaming (which extends to play cards!).

But, there's problem with this hot shot. Its software impotent. Yeah, yeah heard me right. Software sales taper off quickly, sell little, and almost never sell well in the end. Yeah, there are excellent games that do sell well, but those are rare for the PSP. It's stuck and it sucks for the PSP.

Do you want to be the PSP? The hot shot that fizzled out and is now content with second place? Do you want to be a desert for gaming? IfNintendo software during a slow period won't sell on you, what will. Come on.

This is GAF. You gotta BELIEVE.

----

But, in all seriousness, that is troubling. I wonder why it just didn't appeal.

Also, something on the Wii has to fucking sell. I mean, this Winter alone will provide enough games for me to last me a year, or more. That doesn't mean squat for the market, though, which needs a steady supply of games. That, and developers need to sell a steady supply of games. They aren't even selling. Admittedly, there's a lot of crap, but...

Still.

Laguna

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo truth is that you are daydreaming and overestimating current PSP hardware sales and downplaying it´s lacking software sales even with "blockbusters" like FFVII and MGPO. Japanese publishers showed that they aren´t pleased with PSPs software sales in a pretty obvious way at this years TGS. The number of presented PSP titles shrunk to one third compared to last years TGS. And also your whole point is wrong when weekly charts show that weekly hardware sales are bigger than weekly software sales it´s a bad sign and not common thing, regardless what userbase is behind.

Her an example for this weeks charts

1st Wii
We all know that Wiis userbase isn´t as big as PSPs at the moment by 1-2million units

estimates
Wii hardware < 30k
Wii software > 70k

06. [WII] Super Mario Strikers - 28,000 / NEW
08. [WII] Mario Party 8 - 22,000 / 779,000
09. [WII] Samurai Warriors: Katana - 17,000 / NEW
14. [WII] Wii Sports
19. [WII] Wii Play

2nd NDS
NDS hardware around 70k
NDS software > 260k

NDS
NDS
03. [NDS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Toki no Tankentai - 85,000 / 385,000
04. [NDS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Yami no Tankentai - 75,000 / 344,000
05. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn!! DS Flame Rumble Kaien Ring Soudatsuen! - 31,000 / NEW
10. [NDS] Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Ring of Fates - 16,000 / 331,000
12. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary
13. [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS
15. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day
16. [NDS] Mario Kart DS
18. [NDS] Brain Age 2
20. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros.
22. [NDS] Animal Crossing DS
23. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 3 (Best Price)
25. [NDS] Brain Age
28. [NDS] More English Training

3rd PS2
PS2 hardware around 14k
PS2 software > 50k

07. [PS2] Kiniro no Corda 2 Anchor - 24,000 / NEW
17. [PS2] Another Century's Episode 3: The Final
21. [PS2] Nanatsu Iro * Drops Pure!!
29. [PS2] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
24. [PS2] Sengoku Musou 2 Mushouden

loosus

Banned
Maybe Nintendo needs to release some new, non-shitty games for Wii or sumthin. I dunno. And maybe -- just maybe -- "Wii"-branded games aren't the only games that people will want for the next five years.

Laguna

Banned
Hahaha funny folks here. Just keep on dreaming. Publishers already made their decision and this won´t change by your mindless spin. Even Monster Hunters 2s big success (710k its first week) couldn´t prevent publishers to change focus. You know TGS2006:pSP~8,5% -> TGS2007:pSP~3%.

Haunted

Segata Sanshiro said:
So is Crush!
:(
emot-argh.gif

ah..in a perfect world, Segata, in a perfect world.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
farnham said:

No, I think that the PSP will be the Sony version of the gamecube. It will continue to have massive sales when "killer apps" like FF: Crisis Core are released and the holiday season rolls around. As long as Sony starts getting more aggressive in pricing the console could easily hit 40-50 million units before PSP2 comes out. Then release a lower priced model for $79.99 and then ride that out until the total LTD sales hit 70-80 million.

CTLance

Segata Sanshiro said:
Somewhere out in the ether, Cool Trick just had an aneurysm and died.
:lol :lol :lol

Poor Strikers. I dislike sports games, but the game is fun. Nonetheless, these sales are atrocious. It should have done much better.

Looks like Wii lost its immortality and wings. It has to walk now, like the 'lesser' consoles. Some exercise wouldn't be too bad for it anyway.

I want to see how long the PSP can keep at it.

I wonder what's going on at Nintendo HQ now... upending of tables? slightly frantic shuffling of papers? No reaction at all? I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall when the last few weeks of MC numbers came in...

Looking forward to the HW numbers.

Oh, and welcome back Cheesemeister.

Hcoregamer00

CTLance said:
I wonder what's going on at Nintendo HQ now... upending of tables? slightly frantic shuffling of papers? No reaction at all? I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall when the last few weeks of MC numbers came in...

Looking forward to the HW numbers.

Oh, and welcome back Cheesemeister.

No, as far as I can tell the DS is the most profitable handheld ever and it continues to have consistent dominant sales. It still is the fastest selling console ever in Japan, nearing the PS2 sales within 3 years.

The Wii should be more of a concern than the DS, even that isn't too bad when you consider the holiday lineup coming up. What should be a concern is if the largest market for Nintendo games, the USA has demand spiraling downward. After all, we are the country crazy enough to buy more than 1/2 of the gamecubes ever released.

Well, I don't think Nintendo can foresee what'll bomb and what won't.

It's a slow period. All things are down, except for the excellent timing of CC:FF7 and the Slim launch.

donny2112

sp0rsk said:
Why ... are we using shitty animated gifs? No offense donny.

I thought the Crisis Core and MGS parts looked neat, but the Pokemon and Hitman parts are artifacted and harder to read.

test_account said:
That would be like saying that a baby cant die because it didnt get to grow up hehe :p

Not exactly the most sensitive thing to draw an analogy to, FYI.

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, I think that the PSP will be the Sony version of the gamecube.
As long as Sony starts getting more aggressive in pricing the console could easily hit 40-50 million units before PSP2 comes out. Then release a lower priced model for $79.99 and then ride that out until the total LTD sales hit 70-80 million.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Do you realize that the PSP is probably just under 25 million worldwide, right now, >2.5 years after its release, and that the GBA, with no competition, sold 75 million in ~5 years?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hcoregamer00 said:
No, I think that the PSP will be the Sony version of the gamecube. It will continue to have massive sales when "killer apps" like FF: Crisis Core are released and the holiday season rolls around. As long as Sony starts getting more aggressive in pricing the console could easily hit 40-50 million units before PSP2 comes out. Then release a lower priced model for $79.99 and then ride that out until the total LTD sales hit 70-80 million.

holy hell not even close.

Hcoregamer00

donny2112 said:
DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Do you realize that the PSP is probably just under 25 million worldwide, right now, >2.5 years after its release, and that the GBA, with no competition, sold 75 million in ~5 years?

Have you heard of the word "market expansion?"

The PSP is under 25 million worldwide, and then we consider that they haven't gone to the $150 and $130 price points at the moment. That would easily push more and more consoles as time moves along. They could release a PSP-3000 model before PSP2 launches and make it to the mass market $100 and $80 price points, which they are not even close to hitting.

It is very likely that the console could hit 40-50 million, and could go even higher than that when they release a "bargain model" while keeping the PSP2 as the "high end model."

The PSP is like the cube because only big games released every once in a while like Crisis Core will move units. It will also move many units by default in the holiday season because people are buying it as presents.

fatty

It's been a while since I've looked at a Media Create thread so I'm not used to seeing the PSP outsell the others by so much. Why is this? Is it from the release of the PSP Slim or have they been selling this well for a while now?

And wasn't the Wii doing pretty well in Japan? Not that it is doing bad now, and I'm not expecting demand levels like NA but I thought it was still pretty big in Japan so I'm kind of surprised with the numbers.

loosus said:
And maybe -- just maybe -- "Wii"-branded games aren't the only games that people will want for the next five years.
Uhh... how does the non-success of new non-Wii branded games while Wii Play and Wii Sports still sit in the top 20 point to this?
donny2112 said:
the GBA, with no competition, sold 75 million in ~5 years?
I seem to recall GBA having a bit of competition those last few years.
fatty said:
It's been a while since I've looked at a Media Create thread so I'm not used to seeing the PSP outsell the others by so much. Why is this? Is it from the release of the PSP Slim
Yes.

Top Bottom