• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 09/29 - 10/05

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MC-THREAD-SOFTWARE-TITLE.png

(click for Chart Get! Software Charts)

1. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) 121,722 / 1,595,000
2. [PS2] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Special (Koei) 109,658 / NEW
3. [PS2] Super Robot Taisen Z (Namco Bandai) 59,627 / 426,000
4. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) 54,418 / 906,000
5. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) 21,350 / 2,706,000

6. [PS2] Jikkyou Power Pro Major League 3 (Konami) 17,621 / NEW
7. [PSP] To Love Ru Trouble (Marvelous) 15,547 / NEW
8. [PSP] Ikki Tousen: Eloquent Fist (Marvelous) 14,818 / NEW
9. [NDS] World Destruction: Michibi Kareshi Ishi (SEGA) 14,601 / 71,000
10. [NDS] Dragon Ball: Origins (Namco Bandai) 12,403 / 115,000

11. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
12. [PS2] Sheng L Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix 2
13. [NDS] Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (Nintendo)
14. [WII] One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 1 (Namco Bandai)
15. [NDS] Quiz Magic Academy (Konami)
16. [PS3] Aquanaut's Holiday (SCEI)
17. [WII] Disaster: Day of Crisis (Nintendo)
18. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
19. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5)
20. [PS3] X-Edge (Compilation Heart)
21. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2: The Seven Island Adventure (Namco Bandai)
22. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (Capcom)
23. [PSP] Shinobido PSP (Spike)
24. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
25. [NDS] Dragon Quest V (Square Enix)
26. [PS3] Trusty Bell (Namco Bandai)
27. [PSP] Hitman Reborn (Marvelous)
28. [WII] Powerful Major League 3 (Konami)
29. [PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship (Konami)
30. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)

31. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
32. [PSP] Mana-Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis Portable+ (Gust)
33. [NDS] U-Can Pen Ji Training DS (SEGA)
34. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
35. [NDS] Beautiful Letter Training DS (Nintendo)
36. [NDS] Knights in the Nightmare (Sting)
37. [NDS] Fire Emblem: New Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light (Nintendo)
38. [360] Raiden IV (Moss)
39. [NDS] Chokkan! Asonde Relaxuma (Relaxed Play) (Rocket Company)
40. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)
41. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 (Konami)
42. [NDS] Densetsu no Stafi: Taiketsu! Dire Kaizokudan (Nintendo)
43. [NDS] Puyo Puyo! (BEST) (SEGA)
44. [NDS] Mame Goma 2: Uchi no Ko ga Ichiban! (My Kid is Number One!) (TDK Core)
45. [NDS] Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (We are Fossil Diggers) (Nintendo)
46. [360] Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai)
47. [WII] Soul Eater: Monotone Princess (Square Enix)
48. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (SEGA)
49. [NDS] Tottadoo! Yoiko's Deserted Island Life (Namco Bandai)
50. [NDS] Sumiko Nakamura Full Instruction... (Rocket Company)

NDS - 23
WII - 9
PSP - 8
PS2 - 5
PS3 - 3
360 - 2

MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

(click for Chart Get! Hardware Charts)

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week | Last 4 Weeks | YTD       |    LTD      [/U][/B] 
DS       |    42,385 |    57,847 |      225,333 | 2,406,791 | 23,579,845
PSP      |    26,045 |    25,671 |      110,546 | 2,809,245 | 10,474,322
WII      |    25,330 |    26,314 |      111,251 | 2,215,488 |  6,831,627
PS2      |     8,618 |     9,848 |       33,855 |   391,029 | 21,318,069
360      |     8,271 |    11,291 |       61,527 |   197,166 |    705,611
PS3      |     7,232 |     8,275 |       31,716 |   689,482 |  2,331,158

MC-THREAD-CSCHARTS-TITLE.png

(click for Chart Get! Console Charts)

MC-THREAD-HHCHARTS-TITLE.png

(click for Chart Get! Handheld Charts)

MC-THREAD-PASTWEEKS-TITLE.png

Media Create Sales: 09/22 - 09/28
Media Create Sales: 09/15 - 09/21
Media Create Sales: 09/08 - 09/14
Media Create Sales: 09/01 - 09/07
Media Create Sales: 08/25 - 08/31

MC-THREAD-NOTES-TITLE.png

• Software numbers are typically posted on Wednesday nights at about midnight Eastern.
• Hardware numbers are typically posted Thursday nights at about 9:20 PM Eastern.
• Historic Famitsu Data Compiled by Garaph.
• All charts belong to Chart Get! and will be linked accordingly.

jj984jj said:
RTG is over 900k! :eek:

Depending on sales, only three (two if extremely lucky) weeks until it hits the magical million barrier. Its difficult to imagine, considering how niche the original GBA version was.

Did Nintendo actually advertise a game this time?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
to love ru is psp?

splattergnome said:
Depending on sales, only three (two if extremely lucky) weeks until it hits the magical million barrier. Its difficult to imagine, considering how niche the original GBA version was.

I heard somewhere that there is a lot of really good word of mouth for this game. Sort of like what happened to Pokemon Red/Green back in the day.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Is it possible the continued success of PS2 software (and hardware comparatively) is hurting the PS3?

fake edit: beaten

Delio

Pokemon Platinum is still trucking on. Ahh i love it really deserves the sales for being the best "3rd" game in the series.

Jaruru

splattergnome said:

I saw some promo clip/musicians playing RTG on the Oricon website (jp version of Billboard). which is a really good way to promo the game

PantherLotus said:
Is it possible the continued success of PS2 software (and hardware comparatively) is hurting the PS3?

fake edit: beaten
Nope. The majority of PS2 gamers that are waiting to step up to the newer generation of consoles will eventually step up to the Wii. The last of the PS3 holdouts will come out for FFXIII or the final version of GT5, but past that, the Wii has taken the crown as the "default" console for this generation.

EDIT: Or RE5.

Late in last week's thread it came up again about whether the new week was one of PS3's lowest. So I made a simple tool to help determine such things; a page that lists a hardware's sales from greatest to least by both trackers. Here's PS3. Along the bottom are links for all hardwares that have any weekly numbers in the Garaph database, though there are no Famitsu numbers that go earlier than 2000 or MC numbers that go earlier than 2003. Also note that these lists use the unique hardware numbers. So there's a DS list, a DSL list, but not a DS+DSL list.

The recent X360 highs make it interesting to note that going by Famitsu, original Xbox only had three weeks over 10K; its first three.

Gaborn

JoshuaJSlone said:
Late in last week's thread it came up again about whether the new week was one of PS3's lowest. So I made a simple tool to help determine such things; a page that lists a hardware's sales from greatest to least by both trackers. Here's PS3. Along the bottom are links for all hardwares that have any weekly numbers in the Garaph database, though there are no Famitsu numbers that go earlier than 2000 or MC numbers that go earlier than 2003. Also note that these lists use the unique hardware numbers. So there's a DS list, a DSL list, but not a DS+DSL list.

The recent X360 highs make it interesting to note that going by Famitsu, original Xbox only had three weeks over 10K; its first three.

Thanks for your effort, the new chart is amazing, it really gives another dimension to the console sales stats.

JoshuaJSlone said:

Ooh! I like this.

I actually hadn't expected for the PS3 to be UNDER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND for so many of those weeks though.

Tron 2.0

PantherLotus said:
I think so. It's possible that Sony's plan to continue to support the PS2 really backfired. If people can keep buying new software for the PS2 there is less of an impetus to upgrade.

markatisu said:
Disaster staying in the Top 20, probably has 1 more week at most
Not sure I'd call ~15k LTD a victory, regardless of its place in the Top 20. I'm just glad it has a EU release date.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Tron 2.0 said:
I think so. It's possible that Sony's plan to continue to support the PS2 really backfired. If people can keep buying new software for the PS2 there is less of an impetus to upgrade.

Not sure I'd call ~15k LTD a victory, regardless of its place in the Top 20. I'm just glad it has a EU release date.

1. PS2 vs. PS3: I really think it was bad timing and MS forcing their hand with the 360 in the US. Clearly the 360 was zero threat (*waves at jimbo in the ether*) in Japan, and clearly the 360 had a lot of momentum in the States. I think the PS3 should have launched right about now. At $299 worldwide.

2. Disaster doing anything more than zero can be considered less disastery.

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I made a simple tool to help determine such things; a page that lists a hardware's sales from greatest to least by both trackers. Here's PS3.
Hmm. In both trackers, the clear majority of sub-10k weeks are during 2008, despite that we're still 12 weeks from the end of the year. Perhaps this doesn't mean anything; some of those weeks will surely be among PS3's highest this year (which is why I don't find the lack of 2008 weeks at the very top as noteworthy). But it might be the first glimmerings of the vicious-circle effect of lagging hardware and its intermittent big software: lower lows between the release spikes.

I glanced at the Gamecube version. Just eyeballing, it seems the sub-10k weeks mostly came in 2004, and then got progressively worse; so PS3 may be dropping a bit faster than Nintendo's machine. But countering that is the pattern at the top: after launch, the Gamecube's best holiday was two years out (about double the 2002 numbers), which for PS3 equates to this year. Given that FF XIII and GT 5 are plausible holiday-2009 releases, PS3 seems set to have bigger spikes later in its life. Perhaps that will keep the in-between low weeks buoyed longer?

markatisu

Tron 2.0 said:

Well depending on what 11-20 sold it could be closer to 20k since last week was between 10-14k (I cant remember what the specific was)

Also judging its LTD after 2 weeks would imply that after next week it will cease to exist and we all know that games continue to sell (albeit slow and in small numbers) long after they leave the Top 20

I would think that 35-50k when all is said and done would not be an absurd call, its a western game so there are probably some here who are amazed it sold as much as it did

So true :lol

Tron 2.0

PantherLotus said:
1. PS2 vs. PS3: I really think it was bad timing and MS forcing their hand with the 360 in the US. Clearly the 360 was zero threat (*waves at jimbo in the ether*) in Japan, and clearly the 360 had a lot of momentum in the States. I think the PS3 should have launched right about now. At $299 worldwide.
Yes. I imagine Sony was hoping that continued high-margin PS2 sales would help subsidize the monetary black hole that is the PS3.

It's no Captain Rainbow, to be sure.

markatisu said:
Also judging its LTD after 2 weeks would imply that after next week it will cease to exist and we all know that games continue to sell (albeit slow and in small numbers) long after they leave the Top 20

I would think that 35-50k when all is said and done would not be an absurd call...
While there's no specific way to predict legs, rough guesses are usually okay. Most games sell about half their lifetime copies in the first week. Disaster did 14k last week. So while your range isn't absurd, at the top end it's starting to get very, very optimistic.

Linkup

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I heard somewhere that there is a lot of really good word of mouth for this game. Sort of like what happened to Pokemon Red/Green back in the day.

Any JGaffer want to chime or add to that?

Disaster didn't even have good word of mouth on the internet let alone off it. I think we can safely assume now that Disaster would of only done so much better with a bigger budget ad campaign because I don't think it would get much word of month once the game hit the streets to give it legs. Cult hit and all that, but difficult to sale and just as front loaded as most other core titles.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
splattergnome said:

They advertised the shit out of the game. They still are. The game is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge success.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
OT: anybody ever notice that there's a Katamari Prince in the Rhythm Tengoku Gold logo? He's the yellow one in the upper right. That's kinda weird.

PantherLotus said:
OT: anybody ever notice that there's a Katamari Prince in the Rhythm Tengoku Gold logo? He's the yellow one in the upper right. That's kinda weird.
Huh. Never noticed it. It's an odd stylization of 天, that's for sure.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AlternativeUlster said:
360 > Ps3 once again.

If you were jimbo you would have said that the fact that there are no 360 games in the top twenty is a clear sign of the 360 brand being strong despite a clear shortage of software. :(

apujanata

Artadius said:
"Chart Get".

Really?

REALLY?

At least it is better than some alternatives, that include the word "z", like "chartz Getz".

One Piece went from 23 to 14, anyone know if there's a special reason?
Possible cause :
- Good word of mouth
- One Piece fans are not "first week buyer", unlike Square Enix fans
- Slower week (#10 this week is 12K, while #10 last week is 14.3K)
- One Piece getting Rthyme Tengoku kind of legs

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
BishopLamont said:
One Piece went from 23 to 14, anyone know if there's a special reason?

Saw that too. Maybe its supply constrained?

Top Bottom