• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 1/1 - 1/7

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
kisakiproject said:
MGO PO has some legs.

Hardware soon right cause its thursday.
Seriously, I can't believe how well it's doing in Japan. It's like PSP's first killer app., maybe the new colors with big hitters like MHF and CC:FFVII is wise and PSP could actually continue doing decently in Japan... or it could go back to the usual poor software sales in a few weeks... I guess we'll find out!

kisakiproject said:
MGO PO has some legs.

Hardware soon right cause its thursday.
These charts are a day late since there was a national holiday on Monday, so, because it's Friday afternoon right now, I doubt the hardware will come out until Monday next week (sunday for America)

I could be proven wrong though, there's still a few working hours left today.

jj984jj said:
Seriously, I can't believe how well it's doing in Japan. It's like PSP's first killer app., maybe the new colors with big hitters like MHF and CC:FFVII is wise and PSP could actually continue doing decently in Japan... or it could go back to the usual poor software sales in a few weeks... I guess we'll find out!

The problem with this type of thinking is it's the same thing GameCube followers deluded themselves into Japan, where the system would get spikes during certain times of the year or with certain games.

It never lasts unless you have games of that magnitude coming out all the time, or unless you have a monster brand like Brain Training which can just put hardware sales on its back week after week (not just for 2 or 3 weeks ... we're talking 12+ weeks and more).

I just doesn't work any other way in Japan. I mean how many times have we seen this exact same pattern happen? It goes back to the N64 even.

Parl

What the **** is this? Anyway, look at these numbers and take the following statements into account.

- DS is on the increase, word of mouth continues to spread, supply continues to get better.
- Wii has only just got its boots on, word of mouth will spread, supply will get beterr, then it'll be running.
- PSP titles continue to decline in quality and quantity. It will continue its decline.
- PS2 is on its way out. Remarkable success, but that's the past now. Don't expect much later in the year.
- PS3 will prolly pull a PSP, but establsh itself at a better level than the PSP, once good quality software, oriented around the Japanese market comes ou.... Hmm.. bollocks..

Nintendo owning charts? As freaky as it is, it'll probably be owning the charts to a greater degree next year.

joeposh

Tetris DS hanging in at number 30 for another week huh? Looks like 1 million sales is all but assured at this point.

Jammy

Banned
Milestones Nintendo is nearing...

DS!
Love and Berry DS Collection should reach one million in Japan soon.
Kirby: Squeak Squad should reach one million in Japan soon.
Brain Age should reach three million in Japan soon.
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker should reach one million in Japan next week.
New Super Mario Bros. will reach four million in Japan next week.
More Brain Age will reach four million in Japan in the next couple of weeks.
Animal Crossing: Wild World will reach four million in Japan in the next couple of weeks.
Final Fantasy III will reach over one million in Japan within the next month or so.
Tetris DS will reach over one million soon... if it hasn't already.
Jump! Super Stars will (has?) easily outsold its predecessor and will trump it by far.

Wii!
Wii Sports will reach one million in Japan the next several weeks.
Wii Play will reach one million in Japan in the next several weeks.

soundwave05 said:
The problem with this type of thinking is it's the same thing GameCube followers deluded themselves into Japan, where the system would get spikes during certain times of the year or with certain games.

It never lasts unless you have games of that magnitude coming out all the time, or unless you have a monster brand like Brain Training which can just put hardware sales on its back week after week (not just for 2 or 3 weeks ... we're talking 12+ weeks and more).

I just doesn't work any other way in Japan. I mean how many times have we seen this exact same pattern happen? It goes back to the N64 even.

Its sold more than GCN in less than 1/2 the time. Its gonna be more like N64 in japan i'de say.

«þ»

Jammy said:
Wii!
Wii Sports will reach one million in Japan the next several weeks.
Wii Play will reach one million in Japan in the next several weeks.

One more than the GameCube ever did :lol

mj1108

Remember when people would say "I can't wait until the PS3 and Wii launches, THEN the charts will be interesting".

:lol

Yeah.

dr3upmushroom said:
Nintendo going third party confirmed?

Of course. [/sarcasm]

Solsc

«þ» said:
One more than the GameCube ever did :lol

So within the first 2 months the Wii will already have more mil sellers that the GC did in Japan in 6 YEARS!!!

:lol :lol :lol

Shard said:
There is nothing quite like Pac-Man in pie chart form.

pac-list.gif

AntMurda

Any one got an updated total ltd for DS,Wii??? Tetris DS is definitely a million seller. Can't believe Kirby Squeek Squad is going to hit a millioN!

Xavien

Is Nintendo gonna go for the full top 30 this week? :lol seriously, its not that far from an all Nintendo top-30 at all.

massive clean-sweep for Nintendo.... just.... wow.

Can't wait for hardware. :)

EDIT: or hell even an all Nintendo top 50?

Mashing

Holy blue blazing balls of Christ. Nintendo didn't dominate this much during their glory years. Someone needs to right a textbook about the DS and use it as the official textbook of Business 101 class or something. Damn, that's nuts.

starship said:
Are you serious?
The game was out almost 20 months ago and still was at #15 in one of the biggest weeks of the year.

Yes, it's apparently true. In this case, it doesn't seem like the decline was particularly important in the long term. Thanks for pointing that out.
And we don't even have to wait for another configuration like this to suspect that in the end, this type of game is absolutely invincible, which is what I repeat since the beginning.

bgassassin said:
I'm starting get the hang of how things work on GAF. I'm ready to see the Packyman charts. :D
Last week there wasn't an overall Pac-Man. With Wii and PS3 putting up decent weekly numbers now, an overall Pac-Man will probably be a bit rarer.
Cheesemeister said:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/cheesemeister05/pac-list.gif
Excellent. :)

JoshuaJSlone said:
Last week there wasn't an overall Pac-Man. With Wii and PS3 putting up decent weekly numbers now, an overall Pac-Man will probably be a bit rarer.

Until Wii shipments increase. :D

But you're right. Sony does seem to be getting more PS3s out there too. Ist there a pie chart for software also?

Parl

Branduil said:
So what on earth are the people in Japan buying to play on their PS3s?

Japanese people can import, too, you know. They've got over 100 titles to choose from. Crap, it's not region free! Okay, my bad. What titles are actually released in Japan?

You know what one of the signs of a dying video game industry is? Games lacking staying power. It's something this forum is guilty of as well. Most posters here are junkies, looking for the next hit, and saying there are no new releases even if a bunch of great games came out had come out just two weeks before. Part of that is because you've forgotten how to enjoy a video game, but most of it is that designers don't know how to put out compelling content -- only "cool" content.

The DS has finally brought the concept of legs back. People are still buying Mario Kart: DS because it's a great game, not just a "OMG! That's so freaking cool" type of game.

I feel like new life is being breathed into my beloved hobby, and I expect the Wii to resuscitate it even more over the next few years.

Parl

turkification said:
i gues nintendo saved the game industry in japan.

Nintendo isn't in the games industry anymore. Didn't you hear them? They said they weren't competing and were going to go into the non-gaming industry.

PlayStation 3 is easily the most successful next-gen gaming platform on sale in Japan, and it has a massive price tag and no games. Sony's dominance isn't even funny. Give them some competition.

I think Mario Kart DS will out sell MK64 by the middle of next year. It definitely won't beat Super Mario Kart, that one was a monster.

I think Yakuza 2 could get near a million. Maybe 850k with a The Best release.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Parl said:
Nintendo isn't in the games industry anymore. Didn't you hear them? They said they weren't competing and were going to go into the non-gaming industry.

PlayStation 3 is easily the most successful next-gen gaming platform on sale in Japan, and it has a massive price tag and no games. Sony's dominance isn't even funny. Give them some competition.

A rare moment on GAF where I can't distinguish sincerity and sarcasm.

Top Bottom