• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

Minsc said:
What would happen to third parties if Nintendo went third party and released their AAA games on other systems?

Edit: And third parties released their AAA games on Nintendo systems for that matter?

End of the world? Dogs and cats sleeping together? The dead walking the earth?

KINGMOKU

Thunder Monkey said:
Kind of seems like it, but it is his thing.

Seems to be in the running for top Ninthing. I'm just happy being the Town crazy. I'm working towards Town eccentric right now, but believe me it's a tough competition. We've got a cat lady here.
Back off you bastard. I've got both those locked up already, and aint no one movin in on my terf.

besides that, I wonder how a DMC4 Wii would have performed had it been released alongside the other two?

500k?

CorwinB

Minsc said:
What would happen to third parties if Nintendo went third party and released their AAA games on other systems?

Well, that's obvious : the current 3rd party publishers would become fourth or fifth-party, and Nintendo would be blamed for it.

kswiston

moku said:
besides that, I wonder how a DMC4 Wii would have performed had it been released alongside the other two?

500k?

Wii hasn't exactly had a ton of luck with multi-platform 3rd party titles so far in Japan. I don't know why DMC4 would be so different, especially since it would actually be hindered by Wii's controls, instead of helped (like RE4 was).

jay

kswiston said:
Wii hasn't exactly had a ton of luck with multi-platform 3rd party titles so far in Japan. I don't know why DMC4 would be so different, especially since it would actually be hindered by Wii's controls, instead of helped (like RE4 was).

No third party games anywhere near as big as DMC ever came out on the Wii so this is based on assumptions. Assumptions most third parties seem to be making as well, mind you.

D.Lo

ElFly said:
Yeah, it is sad that DMC4 Wii didn't even make the top 30
Yeah, I noticed that too. I guess third parties just can't sell any games on Wii, even when they put that amount of effort and money into development and promotion, shame. Even the 360 version charted.

iidesuyo

moku said:

500k?

We've seen X360 games sell better than its Wii counterpart, so I doubt it would have sold better than the PS3 version.

Redd

D.Lo said:
Yeah, I noticed that too. I guess third parties just can't sell any games on Wii, even when they put that amount of effort and money into development and promotion, shame. Even the 360 version charted.
:lol :lol :lol
That's pretty good, well done sir.

Jiggy37 said:
Well, for being on a fading system... ...wait, I can sense Pureauthor already. "Saying that a game sold well considering X is the same as saying that it sold horribly and X is the reason why."

I knew I was repeating that line a bit too much. But there were just so many dumb arguments...

Anyway, I noticed that I hadn't yet actually commented on the sales in this thread, so I might as well do it now - Solid performances all around, nice on Smash. Definite million-seller, probable multi-million seller.

Haruhi Suzumiya (the character) is demonspawn, and the anime itself is above average

AshStrife

Very disappointed with sales for Houkago Shounen(Afterschool Boy). Was hoping for a debut as good as Game Center CX. I am guessing the already slim chances of localization are down to zero now.

Hopefully Time Hollow fares better.

The revitalization of Adventure games need to continue.

jarrod

Banned
iidesuyo said:
We've seen X360 games sell better than its Wii counterpart, so I doubt it would have sold better than the PS3 version.
We've also seen the reverse though... and we've seen 360 games outsell PS3 counterparts and vice versa. I'm not really sure Sikigami III sales are a great basis for a potential Wii DMC's sales potential though. :lol

I agree generally with DMC actually, I figure had DMC4 been on Wii instead, it'd probably have done similarly to the PS3 version (200k-ish). Unless it was also on PS2 too, then it'd have sold like the 360 release. :lol

Vinci

Danish
It's like Smash hit and simultaneously deflated every other Nintendo platform game's sales. Not that the hit isn't impressive as all hell, but wow. A Top 10 dominated by other companies' platforms?

On a Haruhi note: That's a really enjoyable show.

farnham

Banned
Vinci said:
It's like Smash hit and simultaneously deflated every other Nintendo platform game's sales. Not that the hit isn't impressive as all hell, but wow. A Top 10 dominated by other companies' platforms?

dmc4 was a huge hitter for 360 and ps3 (too bad capcom didnt make a wii version)
haruhi has a hardcore following
disgea has a hardcore following
tales has a hardcore following

so yeah outside of assassins creed and ssbb not beeing not so much of a system seller there is no surprise here

family ski is actually kinda surprising.. sold much better then i thought it would

AshStrife said:
Very disappointed with sales for Houkago Shounen(Afterschool Boy). Was hoping for a debut as good as Game Center CX. I am guessing the already slim chances of localization are down to zero now.

Hopefully Time Hollow fares better.

The revitalization of Adventure games need to continue.

yeah sad about that one.. looked much like a layton rip off to me.. but it could have been big.. konami just does not get the DS market somehow.. (yet they have some awesome games on the DS)

Minsc

Gold Member
Vinci said:

Saying that would be a little more impressive if Nintendo titles didn't have ~61.3% of the Top 10 sales, ~54% alone from Brawl. But it's still a nice change, even if it doesn't last.

Edit: Last week Nintendo titles' sales only made up ~55% of the Top 10 sales, so this week is actually an increase in their control, despite losing # of spots.

Vinci

Danish
farnham said:
haruhi has a hardcore following
disgea has a hardcore following
tales has a hardcore following

so yeah outside of assassins creed and ssbb not beeing not so much of a system seller there is no surprise here

I think I'm just not accustomed to seeing Wii Sports where it is. Oh well. Good for DMC, and all the other hardcore following games. Hopefully Disgaea 3 continues to do well, I truly love that series.

ethelred

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well, if they weren't hesitant before, AC ought to scare a few people away from western games for good.

I think the sales are primarily being driven by how desperate people were for a good western game after Uncharted.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
Afterschool Boy looked nothing at all like Professor Layton.

Are you importing AB? I'm curious as to if it turned out being any good. No one has posted a thread yet, so I assume most of the actual jGaffers aren't picking it up just yet.

felipeko

Redd said:
Japan yes, Worlwide not likely. Halo has it's own following and it pretty big.
The best selling Xbox game vs the best selling GameCube game... Wonder which has an advantage now... (not just userbase, but Sonic too, europies love their Sonic.)

Redd

felipeko said:
The best selling Xbox game vs the best selling GameCube game... Wonder which has an advantage now... (not just userbase, but Sonic too, europies love their Sonic.)

Hey I want Smash to beat Halo 3's sales but I seriously doubt it's going to happen.

kswiston

domokunrox said:
SSBB to sell more then Halo 3, confirmed.

Depends on North American sales. At this point, Halo 3 should eventually pass 6M in the United States and 10M worldwide. Brawl could top 10M worldwide, but it needs at least 4-5M in North America to do so. North America was by far the biggest market for the past two smash titles. I think that will hold true for Brawl as well.

sphinx

the piano man
kswiston said:
Depends on North American sales. At this point, Halo 3 should eventually pass 6M in the United States and 10M worldwide. Brawl could top 10M worldwide, but it needs at least 4-5M in North America to do so. North America was by far the biggest market for the past two smash titles. I think that will hold true for Brawl as well.

both games will be big on the long run but I am expecting Smash Bros to have better legs (more sales per month, worldwide) as the generation continues its course.

With the rest of the world, beside USA and UK, not giving a shit about xbox or halo, Smash bros will invariably turn out to be the better seller when all is said and done.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well, if they weren't hesitant before, AC ought to scare a few people away from western games for good.

If you can find someone else on GAF who's even more constantly, inescapably bitter than you are, I'll give you a cookie.

Redd said:
Japan yes, Worlwide not likely. Halo has it's own following and it pretty big.

What do Halo's actual worldwide sales look like now? Given the immense difference between the GC and Wii, and taking this Japanese launch as relatively indicative, I expect SSBB to do something like 9 million worldwide when all is said and done.

kswiston

charlequin said:
If you can find someone else on GAF who's even more constantly, inescapably bitter than you are, I'll give you a cookie.

What do Halo's actual worldwide sales look like now? Given the immense difference between the GC and Wii, and taking this Japanese launch as relatively indicative, I expect SSBB to do something like 9 million worldwide when all is said and done.

Microsoft stated that Halo 3 was at 8.1M worldwide as of about a month ago. We know from the NPD numbers that just under 5M of that was from United States. Figure another 400K or so from Canada, <100k from Japan, and the rest from Europe, Australia etc. Lifetime sales will definitely be above 9M, and probably above 10M.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
kswiston said:
Microsoft stated that Halo 3 was at 8.1M worldwide as of about a month ago. We know from the NPD numbers that just under 5M of that was from United States. Figure another 400K or so from Canada, <100k from Japan, and the rest from Europe, Australia etc. Lifetime sales will definitely be above 9M, and probably above 10M.

The 8.1 was shipped, due.

Vinci

Danish
Stumpokapow said:
The 8.1 was shipped, due.

Also, doesn't a game like Halo typically sell enormously in its first month or two and then drop pretty significantly sales-wise? I mean, it seems like it would continue selling vast numbers if the system continued selling well but if its sales slow down ...

I mean, I'm guessing. For all I know, Halo will sell 20 million before all is said and done. Just doesn't seem like it has the momentum to carry it to 10 million anytime soon.

Redd

NintendosBooger said:
Super Smash Bros: B will do more than 10 million worldwide. It's not even a question.

If that happens(hopefully) since it should have long legs with an online mode can we finally put to rest that only casual or waggle like games sell on the Wii. Seriously the Smash series is a pretty deep game. Sure you can go in and just push one button and do decently against other novice gamers, but line up against a pro and your ass is grass.

Vinci

Danish
Redd said:
If that happens(hopefully) since it should have long legs with an online mode can we finally put to rest that only casual or waggle like games sell on the Wii.

Does the game in any way, shape, or form relate even remotely to Nintendo? Even a little bit? Even if it's just being made by some guy that at one point liked to play Nintendo games? Has its lead designer ever heard of Nintendo, in fact?

Then it's a casual game.

[And yes, I know the answers to all those questions, but I'm making a point that anything even minutely connected to Nintendo will automatically be labeled however naysayers want to help them maintain their worldview. Remember how many people saw the 3rd party sales during Christmas and were like, "Wait, I thought 3rd party games don't sell on the Wii?!" and were legitimately surprised?]

Redd

Vinci said:
Does the game in any way, shape, or form relate even remotely to Nintendo? Even a little bit? Even if it's just being made by some guy that at one point liked to play Nintendo games? Has its lead designer ever heard of Nintendo, in fact?

Then it's a casual game.

[And yes, I know the answers to all those questions, but I'm making a point that anything even minutely connected to Nintendo will automatically be labeled however naysayers want to help them maintain their worldview. Remember how many people saw the 3rd party sales during Christmas and were like, "Wait, I thought 3rd party games don't sell on the Wii?!" and were legitimately surprised?]

Yeah I guess not, good answer.

felipeko

Activsion said CoD4 was the best selling title last year according to the trackers, and it was just over 7 million...

So Halo3 should be lower or close to 7 million...

charlequin said:
Cookie him up, then, because ethelred responded two posts later.

About AC sales, as Kurosaki Ichigo pointed out there's quite a big discrepancy between Famitsu and M-C; the former has it outselling the 360 version, the latter has it falling far short. Since we all agree that neither tracker is worse, just different, the truth is probably that the game sold about as well on both platforms. The absolute numbers are nothing to crow about, but I'm sure they'll make profit over localization and shipping costs. It's a very limited win for Ubisoft, but still a W. (Contrast it with Rally Revo to get a good baseline for "bomb".)

MisterHero

MediaCreate-FALCONPAUNCH.jpg

GO SMASH GO!

Galaxy seems to be ending in Japan. :(

jarrod

Banned
Vinci said:
Also, doesn't a game like Halo typically sell enormously in its first month or two and then drop pretty significantly sales-wise? I mean, it seems like it would continue selling vast numbers if the system continued selling well but if its sales slow down ...

I mean, I'm guessing. For all I know, Halo will sell 20 million before all is said and done. Just doesn't seem like it has the momentum to carry it to 10 million anytime soon.
Actually, in terms of catalog sales, Halo 1-2 tended to have Nintendo-like legs (still moving 30-50k monthly in the USA even years after release). Also figure that 360's doing better than Xbox 1 and Halo 3 shipments are already around where Halo 2 finished... and I'd say things look pretty good for Halo 3.

Smash Brawl is in a nice position too though, and I think it's going to gain over Melee basically in all territories (especially Europe). Wii's status and popularity brings up the sales potential of it's AAA games hugely, in a way N64 and GC never could really, and Brawl looks well placed to capitalize on that imo.

Vinci

Danish
jarrod said:
Actually, in terms of catalog sales, Halo 1-2 tended to have Nintendo-like legs (still moving 30-50k monthly in the USA even years after release). Also figure that 360's doing better than Xbox 1 and Halo 3 shipments are already around where Halo 2 finished... and I'd say things look pretty good for Halo 3.

Thanks. Good to know. You know, for the future, so I can avoid speaking feebly on subjects I don't understand. :)

pswii60

Minsc said:

Well, we all know what happened when Sega went third party.

Top Bottom