• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/7 - 1/13 2008

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm really surprised Wii Fit is going to have a week where it sells more units than the # of Wii sold. Is that because it's easier to get a Wii than it is Wii Fit? Did Wii Play or Wii Sports ever do this after the second week?

I wonder if it's possible for UC to break 1M in Japan. I never expected to see it after the first two weeks.

8 of the top 10 games from last week remained in the top 10, with almost everything having 500,000 or above total sales. S&M will get there soon enough!

Raw64life said:
And everyone jumped on me a couple of weeks ago when I said that Super Mario Galaxy was going to crawl, not speed to a million...
You pretty much said it'd be very hard for SMG to reach a million, when everyone else was saying it'll reach it eventually with ease.

Minsc said:
I'm really surprised Wii Fit is going to have a week where it sells more units than the # of Wii sold. Is that because it's easier to get a Wii than it is Wii Fit? Did Wii Play or Wii Sports ever do this after the second week?

I wonder if it's possible for UC to break 1M in Japan. I never expected to see it after the first two weeks.

8 of the top 10 games from last week remained in the top 10, with almost everything having 500,000 or above total sales. S&M will get there soon enough!
I think Wii Fit>Wii hardware because of supply problems, it's been supply constrained ever since it was released. IIRC Wii Hardware > Wii Sports/Play weekly always, something like 40% Wii Sports to Wii Hardware ratio. UC would need Brain Training like legs to reach 1 Million.

davepoobond said:
so Wii Play and Wii Sports are finally beating Mario Galaxy week by week soundily, just like i thought... :p
This is to be expected though. Both Wii Sports and Wii Play are selling to new Wii owners at a steady rate. They are this generation's system sellers and do not tend to sell to the established userbase.

Wii Sports has been what is drawing people to Wii while Wii Play is a $10 purchase on top of the price of a controller. Essentially what happens is: customer buys a Wii, buys Wii Sports (because it is now a cultural phenomenon) and, because they want to play two-player, they go to buy an extra controller and see Wii Play on offer for $10 extra.

Traditional games on the other hand, sell consoles via the cumulative effort of themselves and the titles that came before them. They are also traditionally front loaded and most sell to the existing userbase at the time of release. It has always been this way in I-want-the-new-hotness-as-soon-as-it-arrives Japan.

So don't be surprised that SMG gets outsold by Wii Sports or Wii Play after its initial flurry. It follows the (unfortunately) front-loaded pattern of the traditional video game while both Wii Sports and Wii Play follow a new pattern - slow burn legs. Fortunately though, some titles, such as SMG, get legs of their own after the initial explosion.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
viciouskillersquirrel said:
This is to be expected though. Both Wii Sports and Wii Play are selling to new Wii owners at a steady rate. They are this generation's system sellers and do not tend to sell to the established userbase.

Wii Sports has been what is drawing people to Wii while Wii Play is a $10 purchase on top of the price of a controller. Essentially what happens is: customer buys a Wii, buys Wii Sports (because it is now a cultural phenomenon) and, because they want to play two-player, they go to buy an extra controller and see Wii Play on offer for $10 extra.

Traditional games on the other hand, sell consoles via the cumulative effort of themselves and the titles that came before them. They are also traditionally front loaded and most sell to the existing userbase at the time of release. It has always been this way in I-want-the-new-hotness-as-soon-as-it-arrives Japan.

So don't be surprised that SMG gets outsold by Wii Sports or Wii Play after its initial flurry. It follows the (unfortunately) front-loaded pattern of the traditional video game while both Wii Sports and Wii Play follow a new pattern - slow burn legs. Fortunately though, some titles, such as SMG, get legs of their own after the initial explosion.

obviously. back before the game was released, it was more of a question about how much it would appeal to that new userbase, and i thought it wouldn't, and would fall well below wii play/sports week-by-week, and not catch on the same wave at all.

its not like it was a hard prediction to make, the writing was on the wall to begin with. Plus there's like a 50/50 chance if you don't take any other stats into play. it either is or isn't :D

JJConrad said:
What the hell does one have to do with the other?

wtf???

earth ->O sun

penis goes in the vagina?

cvxfreak

Minsc said:

Now let's not get ahead of ourselves... UC's sales are very good, but they're not that high in the grand scheme of things. I think it'll have what it takes to crawl to 300K, though. Even more if Capcom releases a Best Price version.

jgwhiteus

Yeah, I can see Wii Sports being the biggest seller of this generation (for consoles). If it keeps up with the 50%+ attach rate (2.6M to the ~5M current Wii userbase?), and the Wii continues to do well, it might well be the biggest seller of this generation in Japan for both consoles and handhelds, outselling Pokemon D/P. (EDIT: although I guess recent sales of Wii Sports vs. hardware have been a bit lower than a 50% attach rate?)

It'll most definitely join the 3M+ club, though, as will Mario Kart DS, and probably Wii Play (if it really "counts"). Aren't there only about 20 games or so that have ever sold more than 3M copies in Japan, with Animal Crossing:WW being the latest to do so?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
davepoobond said:
obviously. back before the game was released, it was more of a question about how much it would appeal to that new userbase, and i thought it wouldn't, and would fall well below wii play/sports week-by-week, and not catch on the same wave at all.

its not like it was a hard prediction to make, the writing was on the wall to begin with. Plus there's like a 50/50 chance if you don't take any other stats into play. it either is or isn't :D

wtf???

earth ->O sun

penis goes in the vagina?
How long are your days?

If you can't even get a simple smart-ass remark right, there goes any faith I have in your so-called prediction making skills. Honestly, you don't know our solar system but you think your an expert on Super Mario Galaxy.

davepoobond said:
I'm not disputing the efficacy of your prediction, but rather its reasoning.

SMG will not be the title that people buy with their brand new Wii, not because it isn't appealing to new customers, but rather because those new customers don't know it even exists at all. Like I said previously, SMG, like most other titles, is in the collective consciousness while it is new and being advertised but falls off the radar soon after.

Wii Sports on the other hand, is synonymous with Wii. When you think of one, you think of the other. Peoples' first exposure to Wii in the media was Wii Sports and it was so different to anything that came before, the association stuck. For the "Wii virgin", Wii is Wii Sports and Wii Sports is Wii, so they buy it with their new Wii. More than likely they'll also buy the new hotness at that time as well.

One should not worry about SMG though, because if history is anything to go by, word-of-mouth and a tendency of customers to not trade in titles of its ilk will give it legs.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
linsivvi said:
People who are lttp are probably warming up before 2nd G comes out.

Huh, I'd figure they'd just wait for G. But oh well. Maybe it'll reach 2 million if they do a best price like they did for 1.

davepoobond said:
and the sun doesn't come up, the earth rotates.

Fixed

I'm not disputing the efficacy of your prediction, but rather its reasoning.

SMG will not be the title that people buy with their brand new Wii, not because it isn't appealing to new customers, but rather because those new customers don't know it even exists at all. Like I said previously, SMG, like most other titles, is in the collective consciousness while it is new and being advertised but falls off the radar soon after.

Wii Sports on the other hand, is synonymous with Wii. When you think of one, you think of the other. Peoples' first exposure to Wii in the media was Wii Sports and it was so different to anything that came before, the association stuck. For the "Wii virgin", Wii is Wii Sports and Wii Sports is Wii, so they buy it with their new Wii. More than likely they'll also buy the new hotness at that time as well.

One should not worry about SMG though, because if history is anything to go by, word-of-mouth and a tendency of customers to not trade in titles of its ilk will give it legs.

Soon after its debut, Galaxy was falling but Nintendo managed to bring it back to health through advertising.

Let's hope that, despite sales falling again (since the holiday period is over), that the game will consistently sell 15-20k each week for a good while.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
JJConrad said:
How long are your days?

If you can't even get a simple smart-ass remark right, there goes any faith I have in your so-called prediction making skills. Honestly, you don't know our solar system but you think your an expert on Super Mario Galaxy.

uh?

:lol

the fact that you even have faith initially surprises me since you actually cared enough to have some.

i have 18 hour days usually.

and i do hope you're making a big ol stink about the use of "revolve" instead of "rotate" as if they weren't synonyms in normal english. because that would just be great.

edit: in fact, its the very first synonym that pops up when you do it for "revolve" in Word

ethelred

_Alkaline_ said:
Soon after its debut, Galaxy was falling but Nintendo managed to bring it back to health through advertising.

Let's hope that, despite sales falling again (since the holiday period is over), that the game will consistently sell 15-20k each week for a good while.

Weren't you whining about people on GAF talking about sales? Or is that only bannable when people are saying nasty things about Mama Ninty?

_Alkaline_ said:
Not mindless, uneducated rambling with a hidden agenda.

But that's mostly what Media Create threads are.

ethelred said:
Weren't you whining about people on GAF talking about sales? Or is that only bannable when people are saying nasty things about Mama Ninty?

I was whining about people on GAF talking out of their ass about sales.

I'm fine with sales talk. Not mindless, uneducated rambling with a hidden agenda.

AlternativeUlster said:
Fucking 'A. Mario Kart? Jesus christ. That is unbelivable.

EDIT: Hey Strikers somehow got on the chart. Did it go budget price?

Everywhere I've been since the new year has had Strikers for less than 2400 yen. I don't think its an official budget title tho.

linsivvi

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Huh, I'd figure they'd just wait for G. But oh well. Maybe it'll reach 2 million if they do a best price like they did for 1.

I am just thinking that maybe they want to start playing 2nd now so when 2nd G comes out, they won't be too far behind the veterans and can play co-op with them.

Innotech

Banned
ethelred said:

But that's mostly what Media Create threads are.
YOU LEAVE MAMA NINTY OUT OF THIS OR ILL TELL REGGIE.

DiddyBop

call of duty 4 must be a huge huge surprise for activision. and what worked in NA is working in Japan. a few ppl buy the game,get addicted,get their friends to buy it,and it keeps spreading because of positive word of mouth and its seemingly unmatched multiplayer. my theory is validated by the fact that both versions shot up the charts for no particular reason.

and wtf with mario kart DS. Nintendo must be working on a smash brothers DS, i gurantee it would seel at least 15 mill WW.

Is it a possibility that FFIV isn't doing as well as it could be due to the difficulty? FF fans these days aren't accustomed to that, nor are your typical (stereotypical?) DS owners...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mefisutoferesu said:
Is it a possibility that FFIV isn't doing as well as it could be due to the difficulty? FF fans these days aren't accustomed to that, nor are your typical (stereotypical?) DS owners...

No

Lobster

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:

Or it could be that Square sucked the teet dry.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
SO, Mario Kart DS is selling like hotcakes still, nearly 3 million copies sold, thats truly amazing, and it bodes well for MK Wii, both layton still selling well is good, M&S at the Olympics selling more that expected, still, and MHP2 doing exceptionally well, shame about the rest of the PSP games.

Oh, finally, Wii Fit, Christ almighty, this really will become the Wii Sports of 2008 if this keeps on, and if/when that happens, when are we going to see it at 2million, or even higher? Nintendo, wins, Japan, end.

Mefisutoferesu said:

Wasn't FF3 harder too? although I think the current sales of FF4 wont cause any parties at SE, they still have 2 remakes in the top 10, and FF4 is still easily profitable, so I dont think there will be any lost sleep over it "failing".

Fady K

Cheesemeister said:
Thank goodness. Let's see some more original stuff like The Last Remnant. Remakes, spin-offs, and endless sequels must die.

I dont mind sequels much at all (well, except when theyre on bloody cell phones) but the spin offs and remakes need to die down big time, so it doesn't pain me at all to see FFIV remake's sales to be quite disappointing.

gimz

Defuser said:
Monster Hunter Portable 2 has monster legs[/pun]
oh no you didnt...

1ha.jpg

:D

ethelred

Fady K said:
I dont mind sequels much at all (well, except when theyre on bloody cell phones) but the spin offs and remakes need to die down big time, so it doesn't pain me at all to see FFIV remake's sales to be quite disappointing.

Agreed.

Too bad Crisis Core sold decently, but hopefully Birth by Sleep and Dissidia will bomb like Fat Man.

ethelred said:
Agreed.

Too bad Crisis Core sold decently, but hopefully Birth by Sleep and Dissidia will bomb like Fat Man.
Depends on just how tired the Japanese are of Final Fantasy.

I'd be bored with all the remake BS, but hopeful for the future.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
liking the numbers. go SMG though. i'm sure it'll stay in the top 30 for the rest of the month and into next month too at least. hell, it may pull a NSMB and just keep selling forever. SSBB will be a big thing this month too though...

PantherLotus said:
So this is how fucking bad Nintendo marketing is:

The Japanese public don't know the basic difference between Mario Galaxy, Mario Party, and Mario Kart. SO THEY JUST BUY ALL THREE.

:lol
wait, wouldn't that be considered GOOD marketing? :lol

davepoobond said:
and i do hope you're making a big ol stink about the use of "revolve" instead of "rotate" as if they weren't synonyms in normal english. because that would just be great.

edit: in fact, its the very first synonym that pops up when you do it for "revolve" in Word
Yeah, but you implied that the sun rises and sets because we revolve around it (or rotate around it, according to you via Word). That's incorrect. The sun rises and sets because Earth rotates around its own axis.

Fady K

ethelred said:
Agreed.

Thing about Crisis Core for me is that its a rare exception cause of it being less of a remake and a spinoff and more of prequel.

Remember the days when everything Square made was almost new? When we got, at most, 2 final fantasy games a year, and a few sequels and the rest were new IPs? I miss those days.

Soule

Rune Factory NOOOOOoooooOoOoOoOoooOOOOOoooo!!!1!

I liked the famitsu list better, but I'm guessing the difference between 10-13 and around abouts is very small, still I hope RF2 sticks around for a while.

Fady K said:
Thing about Crisis Core for me is that its a rare exception cause of it being less of a remake and a spinoff and more of prequel.

Remember the days when everything Square made was almost new? When we got, at most, 2 final fantasy games a year, and a few sequels and the rest were new IPs? I miss those days.
Brave Fencer Musashi!

Yeah, I may not have loved everything they've done, but some of that stuff was great.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Cheesemeister said:
Thank goodness. Let's see some more original stuff like The Last Remnant. Remakes, spin-offs, and endless sequels must die.

No kidding.

I'd imagine Mario Kart is an insta-buy for a lot of new DS purchasers, hence the reason for it creeping back into the top 10. After all, we just came off the new year, which is supposedly the busiest shopping period, in Japan. A lot of people picking up Mario Kart for their new DSs. Same with Monster Hunter.

Tiktaalik

lol Monster Hunter and Mario Kart out of fucking no where. Slow sales week so the usual baseline sellers show up the chart again I guess? Incredible legs really.

Top Bottom