• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/12 - 11/18 2007

iby.h said:
Now do the MC numbers also include the RE zapper pack? That would explain the big difference.
If that's what made the 22K difference, the RE+Zapper bundle would be in 7th place.
mutsu said:
Holidays are coming up. 600K is going to be in the bags pretty easily. 1 million might be a bit tough though.
Sounds about right. Though it could always luck out and have centipede legs like SM64DS, which has sold a third of a million in the 2.5 years since dropping off the top 30.
mutsu said:
People in Japan doesn't appreciate 3D platforming games anymore it seems.
Was it ever very big, though? A few standouts like SM64, but it's not like there are many huge 3D platformers.
Cheesemeister said:
First week numbers for Super Mario Galaxy...

Japan: 250,585
US: over 500,000
That's a 4 day week versus an actual 7 day week, though.
BishopLamont said:
Holy shit the Wii is already at 3.7M, I was thinking it's still at 2M or something. If SMG does not get a big holiday boost, then tradition console gaming as we know it is dead.
Luckily, at the rate 3D Mario platformers came out, though, we won't notice it until 2012 at earliest.

Maybe Nintendo needs to start bundling SMG with the Wii. Get Japan hooked on 'traditional' gaming as to the rest of the world hooked on 'casual' gaming with Wii Sports.

santouras

perfectchaos007 said:
I'm starting to think Wii has the same amount of hardcore gamers as the Gamecube did. The userbase is just bigger on the Wii from casual gamers.
I'm think less actually, which is a real pity, as there are some fantastic hardcore games on it already

D.Lo

JoshuaJSlone said:
Luckily, at the rate 3D Mario platformers came out, though, we won't notice it until 2012 at earliest.
:lol

The 'NSMB sold on DS' argument that 'the Wii audience is only casual' doesn't make much sense either. If people wanted Galaxy, as the 'brilliant hardcore game that anyone will like', they would have bought a Wii for it, and hardware didn't bump that much. The only arguments that make sense are 'handheld nation' (really just 'DS nation' looking at software sales) or 'Galaxy simply didn't appeal to Japan' - possibly the motion sickness thing, who knows.

Let's see how Smash Bros does, it's the closest thing to a direct follow-up to a bona-fide hit game of last gen on the Wii.

(And no, that wasn't a 'wait for x' - the Wii doesn't need any 'wait for x')

EDarkness

I'm really starting to think that Nintendo's quest for the "casual" gamer is starting to backfire. They're going to have a hell of a time trying to get the more "core" gamer. Especially since it seems with the price drop the PS3 is going to get the "core" gaming group it should have had in the beginning. That can't be good for the Wii and Nintendo.

Tiktaalik

perfectchaos007 said:
I'm starting to think Wii has the same amount of hardcore gamers as the Gamecube did. The userbase is just bigger on the Wii from casual gamers.

I think this makes a lot of sense.

Lightning

Banned
Hmm.... I see nothing on that list that would indicate why the PSP hardware continues to grow...

Mario Galaxy legs I don't think are going to be anywhere near what people think.... it's dropping far too fast for that.

RE: UC data looks impressive, lets see what happens next week and what legs this game has.

Musou 5 on the 360 sucked and failed as expected. PES08 will join it next week.

Musou 5 on the PS3 needs to sell over 500k on the PS3 to be considered a success imo.

Those are my thoughts from this weeks data.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Lightning said:
Hmm.... I see nothing on that list that would indicate why the PSP hardware continues to grow...

depp_bloom_pirates_telescope.jpg

Look closer! Thar on the horizon!

can we ban every poster on GAF with a japanese IP address until that stupid country starts buying Super Mario Galaxy?

jesus christ, what a dumb fucking market

SRG01

Mike Works said:
can we ban every poster on GAF with a japanese IP address until that stupid country starts buying Super Mario Galaxy?

Um, wow. Too much emotional investment, maybe?

KGKK

Banned
Mike Works said:

It's a handheld/non-game country. Seems like in Japan, regular console games are going to be a thing of the past....:( I miss my Japenese console games:(:(

Defuser

Mike Works said:

You shut your whore mouth. You don't see me cursing America because they're not buying monster hunter.

I don't think sporsk will like it if he can't post on GAF.

Mike Works said:

Yeah, a shame that it's not selling the numbers we think it should be selling, but hey, for North America, it will be a multi million seller. :D

EDarkness

Mike Works said:

You know, I live in Japan and have no idea what people like to play. I can see Japanese companies thinking the same thing. It doesn't really make much sense. I'm still baffled why a game like Musou 5 sells like crazy. It's like they don't like to play new games and simply want remakes of games. Honesly, if I was a Japanese company, I'd simply give up on it and go with something else. Seems to be a waste of time to try to figure it out.

Deku said:
That's not cognitive dissonance.
Yeah, that really annoys the fuck out of me, too. "Cognitive dissonance" is possibly one of the most misappropriated terms I see on GAF. I get that everyone took Intro Psych, but it's obvious that few bothered to study it.

Well, if we're comparing Wii to GCN, here's the totality of GCN software that made it in the Famitsu Top 30 during November+December 2002, and what it sold during that period. (Week of 2002-10-28 through week of 2002-12-23)

Mario Party 4: 677,890
Wind Waker: 448,606
Resident Evil 0: 311,870
From TV Animation One Piece: 179,456
Kinnikuman New Generation: 36,422
Yu-Gi-Oh Falsebound Kingdom: 13,312
Super Monkey Ball 2: 11,741
Momotaro Railway 11: 10,787
Star Fox Adventures: 10,534
Super Mario Sunshine: 9,478
Eternal Darkness: 4,811

Deku said:
That's not cognitive dissonance.
Pffft. Compared to the previous size of the game market, Japan has been much more into Wii than the US has. Compared to the size of the Wii market, the US has been slightly more into SMG than Japan has.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SRG01 said:
The cognitive dissonance is deafening.

Japan: Poor SMG sales :(
US: Great SMG sales! :)

Cognitive dissonance is the internal tension a person feels when they have two conflicting thoughts or impulses or are forced to act in a way that compromises their beliefs. I really don't see how this could be cognitive dissonance.

Lightning

Banned
Mike Works said:

Oh, Fuck you. I am sure the Japanese feel the same way when the US market ignores Dragon Quest like it's a disease...

Stumpokapow said:
Cognitive dissonance is the internal tension a person feels when they have two conflicting thoughts or impulses or are forced to act in a way that compromises their beliefs. I really don't see how this could be cognitive dissonance.
Just checking Wikipedia (which is of course always dependable)
In popular usage, it can be associated with the tendency for people to resist information that they don't want to think about, because if they did it would create cognitive dissonance, and perhaps require them to act in ways that depart from their comfortable habits.
The difference in success of SMG from Japan to NA from what little we know hasn't been much different. Yet people seem to see them as greatly different to continue in the "comfortable habit" of trashing the Japanese market's tastes.

Vinnk

Mike Works said:

Yeah, because japanese gamers who post on GAF all hate Super Mario Galaxy. What a dumb fucking statement.

Joe Molotov

Lightning said:
Oh, Fuck you. I am sure the Japanese feel the same way when the US market ignores Dragon Quest like it's a disease...

Super Mario Galaxy actually comes from Japan, though. This would be like if Grand Theft Auto 3 or Gears of War bombed in the US, but was really popular in Japan.

Evlar

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Just checking Wikipedia (which is of course always dependable)

The difference in success of SMG from Japan to NA from what little we know hasn't been much different. Yet people seem to see them as greatly different to continue in the "comfortable habit" of trashing the Japanese market's tastes.
SMG, according to NoA, had the best opening week of any Mario game in North America. In Japan it... didn't.

Lightning

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
Super Mario Galaxy actually comes from Japan, though. This would be like if Grand Theft Auto 3 or Gears of War bombed in the US, but was really popular in Japan.
Does it matter what country the game is from? Different markets want different things. That is just something we have to accept.

kay

Smiles and Cries said:
All I know is Galaxy better not ever leave the top 10 or I'll invade Japan
Better start preparing but it likely won't be gone this week, barely

1. Dragon Quest IV
2. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (PS2)
3. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (PS3)
4. Mario Party DS
5. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
6. Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
7. Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (PS3)
8. World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (360)
9. Super Mario Galaxy
You might switch some of those around, I don't know how much the FFXI expansions will sell either.
Next week it will be though with SD Gundam G Generation Spirits, Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes, Assassin's Creed, Professor Layton 2

kay

nextgeneration said:
Yeah, a shame that it's not selling the numbers we think it should be selling, but hey, for North America, it will be a multi million seller. :D
It's selling in line with what it's doing in the US (so far from that rough estimate). If anything, it just means less hardcores have the Wii in Japan compared to America, not that they hate the game.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
Yeah, because japanese gamers who post on GAF all hate Super Mario Galaxy. What a dumb fucking statement.

Are you responding to a "dumb fucking" person on the internet now ? My, my.

Anyway, don't worry, it will never happen. We will not be able to get "Vinnk's Village" report if that happen. :D

EDarkness said:
You know, I live in Japan and have no idea what people like to play. I can see Japanese companies thinking the same thing. It doesn't really make much sense. I'm still baffled why a game like Musou 5 sells like crazy. It's like they don't like to play new games and simply want remakes of games. Honesly, if I was a Japanese company, I'd simply give up on it and go with something else. Seems to be a waste of time to try to figure it out.

Their taste in games have changed, developers need to adapt or die out. It's not just genres either, it's also how they play their games, eg. portable > consoles. There is a market for consoles but it's much more limited when it comes to what types of games the Japanese market will buy.

Deku

Banned
The Sphinx said:
SMG, according to NoA, had the best opening week of any Mario game in North America. In Japan it... didn't.

I doubt any traditional console game that's releasing on a console can beat its previous records.

Fantards should start preparing themselves for disappointing launches. Several titles comes to mind, FFXIII, FFXIII, FFXIII And with that, I bid you Cognitive dissonance.

cvxfreak

Mike Works said:

I live in Japan and I lol'd.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vinnk said:
True, true. I feel shame.

As for my report, what games should I look for today?

Definitely RE:UC, and maybe Mario and Sonic.

Top Bottom