• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

MisterHero

People are saving Galaxy for Christmas!

BELIEVE

Actually I think New Super Mario Bros. says Japan loves Mario, but stunningly not so much for 3D Mario. :(

Well, Nintendo is going to make another 3D Mario, I look forward to being out of college so I can play it at launch.

Famitsu publisher Enterbrain is reporting that the DS has now sold 20.05 million units in Japan, thanks to the never-ending Brain Training craze still afflicting the island nation.
That... that's a dramatic oversimplification. Was that in the Enterbrain piece?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
MisterHero said:
People are saving Galaxy for New Years

BELIEVE

Actually I think New Super Mario Bros. says Japan loves Mario, but stunningly not so much for 3D Mario. :(

Well, Nintendo is going to make another 3D Mario, I look forward to being out of college so I can play it at launch.

Fixed for cultural relevance

donny2112

B.K. said:
That's the lowest amount a Dragon Quest has ever sold in the first week, isn't it?

The heck? I think this is the third or fourth time I've posted this. :p

Past DQ remakes:
Code:
GBC Dragon Quest I&II  270K    75K   40K  ...  740K (20001231)
GBC Dragon Quest III   154K    59K   60K  ...  611K (20011230)
SFC Dragon Quest III   409K   136K   95K  ...  967K (19971228)
PS1 Dragon Quest IV    621K   143K   72K  ...  1.17 million (20021229)
PS2 Dragon Quest V    1049K   248K   97K  ...  1.61 million (20041226)

VultureDude said:
heh... well at least the next DQs will be on consoles... I bet S-E misses its financial projections because of this....

:lol

Error said:
err... not even close

Thanks. Note that those are all remakes and not the first release of the mainline games, though. :)

Edit:
On that note, the Dragon Quest mainline games first week sales that I have are ...

SFC Dragon Quest VI 1.3 million (questionable, though)
PS1 Dragon Quest VII 1.9 million
PS2 Dragon Quest VIII 2.2 million

Kittonwy

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Its basically Madden 06 360: Musou. Features ripped out, characters ripped out, game feels totally unfinished, camera is fucked, they completely removed items. It's an absolute disaster.

Get Sengoku Basara 2 for your Wii or your PS2.

So next-gen musou has LESS content and is worse than the PS2 version? Like wtf koei, they seem to be having huge problems migrating to next-gen.
Indifferent2.gif

dwin45

I could've sworn I saw on other various sites that Mario and Sonic sold less than 20k first week. I guess that wasn't true.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
dwin45 said:
I could've sworn I saw on other various sites that Mario and Sonic sold less than 20k first week. I guess that wasn't true.

First day it sold like 18k.

MisterHero

Hcoregamer00 said:
Fixed for cultural relevance
Well I guess, but is it more or less customary that people give each other money in decorative envelopes on New Years rather than gifts? Because I got those from my neighbors in the few years I had lived there. :p

Zen

Banned
I thought that was Dragon Quest IX for some reason and I was like "Why is everyone acting like 600k first week is amazing? It's actually kind of tepid for Dragon Quest. :lol

Grecco

Im pretty damn shocked at Mario and Sonics numbers. This is the land of Mario Party and Wii Sports.

A wiser move would have been to call it

Mario and Mii at the Olympics*

*also featuring Sonic.

donny2112

Zen said:
I thought that was Dragon Quest IX for some reason and I was like "Why is everyone acting like 600k first week is amazing? It's actually kind of tepid for Dragon Quest. :lol

Dragon Quest IX was originally supposed to come out this fall, but it got delayed until probably sometime in 2009. Dragon Quest remakes of IV, V, and VI will come out before IX is released, most likely.

dwin45

Grecco said:
Im pretty damn shocked at Mario and Sonics numbers. This is the land of Mario Party and Wii Sports.

Are you saying that because the game did better than you expected or worse? I actually think it did decent considering the game is shit.

donny2112

hijki said:
SMG condition is not good

With my now "lowered expectations," it's actually doing pretty well in the legs department. It'll outsell Sunshine, but likely fall short of Mario 64. That doesn't leave me happy, but it's still not terrible, again, with lowered expectations.
:(

Chrono said:
We're talking about Nintendo here. I wouldn't be surprised if the game's failure in Japan pretty much doomed any plans for a sequel any time soon.
The same reason they never made a Metroid Prime 2.
perfectchaos007 said:
Poor SMG. Can it crawl its way to a million like FFIII DS?
Possible. But I think I've touched on this theory in the last few threads; not much more to do but wait and see.
hijki said:
SMG condition is not good and i think wii fit will not do as well as wii sports either.
Heh. Saying "Game X will not do as well as Wii Sports." will make you correct well over 99% of the time.

From the last thread:
perfectchaos007 said:
3 weeks in a row out selling Wii is starting something...
We don't know this week's MC numbers yet, but if we assume PS3 leads by ~10K, the MC difference of these three weeks is 34K in PS3's advantage. Wii has beat PS3 by more than 34K in a single week thirty-five times. If we include the launch weeks where Wii wasn't out yet, the total of PS3's weeks where it outsold Wii would be 191K. Wii has outsold PS3 by more than this amount on two separate weeks.

Raw64life

PS1 Dragon Quest IV 621K 143K 72K ... 1.17 million (20021229)

So judging from that it looks like DQIV DS should end up at right around a million. Most people forget that most JRPGs lose steam very quickly. Hopefully DQIV, as it deserves to, will do the opposite and sell 1.2 million next week.

gkryhewy

I continue to believe that Galaxy will have really solid legs in Japan. Based on first day vs. first week, I think the same of Mario & Sonic.

reilo

Do people honestly expect a 3D Mario sequel in the next 4-5 years?

dwin45

JoshuaJSlone said:
We don't know this week's MC numbers yet, but if we assume PS3 leads by ~10K, the MC difference of these three weeks is 34K in PS3's advantage. Wii has beat PS3 by more than 34K in a single week thirty-five times. If we include the launch weeks where Wii wasn't out yet, the total of PS3's weeks where it outsold Wii would be 191K. Wii has outsold PS3 by more than this amount on two separate weeks.

game. set. match. and point.

Crusade

jj984jj said:
If Japan alone was the reason they continued making the Zelda and Mario games as they do, things would be very different.
I've heard Nintendo and Iwata are very inward looking. If it's not a success in Japan, it's not a success period. Apparently this was the sentiment about Zelda TP, and Galaxy is tracking similarly

Zen

Banned
Grecco said:

Ithink it's importat to remember that Sonic isn't very popular in Japan. It might have some ok legs though.

Grecco

reilo said:

Near the release of Wii2 yea. Why shouldnt i?

Are you saying that because the game did better than you expected or worse? I actually think it did decent considering the game is shit.

Mario Party isnt?

gkryhewy

Crusade said:
I've heard Nintendo and Iwata are very inward looking. If it's not a success in Japan, it's not a success period. Apparently this was the sentiment about Zelda TP, and Galaxy is tracking similarly

Yes, they hate foreign money. They've been quoted as saying it's unclean and "not good here." 2D is the future for both Mario and Zelda, clearly.

Chrono said:
We're talking about Nintendo here. I wouldn't be surprised if the game's failure in Japan pretty much doomed any plans for a sequel any time soon.

This also doesn't help their view on traditional games, but not like it matters anymore, Nintendo has changed and Galaxy is just speeding things up.

You mean the Nintendo that still made SMG despite SMS' lackluster sales last gen? 3D Marios perform well worldwide. Until Nintendo cancels any main franchise, I don't see why anyone keeps thinking this.

reilo said:

Yep Nintendo's just going to kill one of it's biggest cashcow because of Japan.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
MisterHero said:
People are saving Galaxy for Christmas!

BELIEVE

You that think after college, you'll have more free time to play games?! :lol

reilo

BishopLamont said:
You mean the Nintendo that still made SMG despite SMS' lackluster sales last gen? 3D Marios perform well worldwide. Until Nintendo cancels any main franchise, I don't see why anyone keeps thinking this.

Yep Nintendo's just going to kill one of it's biggest cashcow because of Japan.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - October 23, 1988
Super Mario World - November 21, 1990
Super Mario 64 - June 23, 1996
Super Mario Sunshine - July 19, 2002
Super Mario Galaxy - November 1, 2007

Who said anything about low sales? I was talking about the typical release cycle for main Mario games.

/shrug

MisterHero

Gahiggidy said:
You that think after college, you'll have more free time to play games?! :lol
That's not certain, though I'll have money to buy them when I want rather than a year later. Hopefully. :lol

reilo

gray_fox224 said:
It's unfortunate that PS3's PES is not that polished.

They released a patch that fixes framerate issues apparently.

icecream

Public Health Threat
PS3 software sales have been quite nice in Japan. Most games that come out have gone over 100K in the week.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
MisterHero said:
That's not certain, though I'll have money to buy them when I want rather than a year later. Hopefully. :lol
The disposable money thing isn't really true either. The more money you make, the more you feel that you don't have enough... so end up going long periods without spending on anything but essentials.

Is it possible for PS3 to outsell Wii for a third week in the row? The PS3 soccer numbers are really good. Last time Musou did those numbers PS3 was in the 50ks amirite. PS2 should get a massive bump too, possibly 20k? 30k?! 40K?!?!?! O_O

If PSp is still holding in the 60K range, then Japanese people have discovered piracy or have really good taste in non-game media confirmed. I wish Sony would release a firmware that only lets you pirate crappy games you'd never buy... but the world =/perfect.

People need to stop spinning Disappoint? Fantastic SMG sales, it's going down the list just like any other great game do, Mario Galaxy isn't coated in an aura of serenity that is not of this world, it's just a game.

Loudninja

sp0rsk said:
Its basically Madden 06 360: Musou. Features ripped out, characters ripped out, game feels totally unfinished, camera is fucked, they completely removed items. It's an absolute disaster.

Get Sengoku Basara 2 for your Wii or your PS2.

Damn :( so they did rush it.Oh whats up Panda Bear Shenyu :D

tanod

when is my burrito
Is it possible that software publishers are getting really sensitive to the used game market or price collapses in Japan and consistently under-shipping? DQ and possibly PES completely out of stock.

Seems like a dumb move due to the front loaded nature of software. They "should" have better estimates for what they should ship first week.

Top Bottom