• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/26 - 12/2 2007

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Holy freaking shit, what the hell happened to Minna No Golf 2 for the PSP?

Isn't this franchise really hot in Japan?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
f@luS said:
a fake price drop (it was almost the same price before. Its mostly a new color (but no new model, a new color only has never been a big hit in sales, at least not a classic color like white) , its not like PSP slim or dslite, ps2 or whatever you want. It was around 10k weekly , its now around 40k weekly. Its quite good i think
Too early to say. We've seen similar bump patterns in the past where a particular title comes out, the PS3 sales bump up for a couple of weeks, then settle back down.

mc-16-week-trend-53.jpg

We need more data points really. Also, the overall sales numbers may be higher due to the holidays, so I wouldn't be surprised if things returned to how it used to be later on in January.

jarrod

Banned
So... anyone else think We Love Golf might outsell Mingol P2? Camelot vindicated? :lol

Actually, if Capcom and Camelot were smart, they'd do a We Love Golf for DS imo.... might get some serious sales there actually.

pswii60 said:
The first big hardcore game for the Wii (aside from SMG). NMH has been getting a load of hype too, decent review in Famitsu and has wackyjappy stuff in it. And the Wii has an almost 4m userbase now in Japan.
Even GAF hype is tempered for NMH, only garnering a few pages at most.

CrisKre

I still think (hope) NMH has a chance of reaching 25+k for the week which would make it a mild success in my eyes.

donny2112

jarrod said:
So... anyone else think We Love Golf might outsell Mingol P2? Camelot vindicated? :lol

No ill will toward MNGP2, but I hope We Love Golf sells like gangbusters. I'm hoping for Mario Golf levels. It seems they've got a Wii Golf Advanced control scheme, which is probably what everyone who liked Wii Golf wants in a golf game for the Wii. Too bad they couldn't get Wii Love Golf for their title, though. That would've helped a lot with casuals, in my opinion.

taconinja

f@luS said:
a fake price drop (it was almost the same price before. Its mostly a new color (but no new model, a new color only has never been a big hit in sales, at least not a classic color like white) , its not like PSP slim or dslite, ps2 or whatever you want. It was around 10k weekly , its now around 40k weekly. Its quite good i think
A "fake" price drop? And what is "mostly a new color?"

That seems a bit disingenuous.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
No ill will toward MNGP2, but I hope We Love Golf sells like gangbusters. I'm hoping for Mario Golf levels. It seems they've got a Wii Golf Advanced control scheme, which is probably what everyone who liked Wii Golf wants in a golf game for the Wii. Too bad they couldn't get Wii Love Golf for their title, though. That would've helped a lot with casuals, in my opinion.

Heck when publishers like EA have to bend over backwards just to get Mii support, thats expected

Deku

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Too early to say. We've seen similar bump patterns in the past where a particular title comes out, the PS3 sales bump up for a couple of weeks, then settle back down.

mc-16-week-trend-53.jpg

We need more data points really. Also, the overall sales numbers may be higher due to the holidays, so I wouldn't be surprised if things returned to how it used to be later on in January.

The PS3 bump was also backed by a price cut in addition to a couple of major 3rd party releases.

donny2112

Gahiggidy said:
How does Media-Create manage to have more GameCube's sold than Nintendo's own records...

It's been discussed before in this thread. Famitsu stopped tracking GameCube almost right at Nintendo's shipment number. Media-Create somehow went over that. No idea why/how, though.

icecream

Public Health Threat
jarrod said:
I think VF5's lukewarm performance is a really a perfect storm of differing combined factors though (fledgling userbases, weak critical reception in arcades, general genre decline, etc). Really, I don't think sales would've been much (if any) better on Wii or something though, it's a little unfair to place the onus entirely on platform selection.
Except the PS3 version sold more. To an extent it could be the 'delayed platform release' effect, but considering the significant additional features put into the 360 version, one should have seen less of such an effect on sales.

Not that it was unexpected, seeing as how multiplatform titles fare better on the PS3 in Japan.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
donny2112 said:
It's been discussed before in this thread. Famitsu stopped tracking GameCube almost right at Nintendo's shipment number. Media-Create somehow went over that. No idea why/how, though.
Maybey its Nintendo's numbers who are wrong? Perhaps they lost motivation sometime last year and just stopped counting?

crbowen

h3ro said:
I wonder who are the 32 idiots who got half a wii...

This joke was sort of funny a year ago. At least get some new material or something. The good ones at least put effort into their trolling.

jarrod

Banned
Culex said:
I was unaware that even 100k of the Q were ever made.
The first batch sold out pretty quick iirc, and I think there was actually a revised model available later... we never got solid numbers on the thing though (unlike PSX, which around 150k lifetime iirc).

I bet Panasonic would kill to get a similar deal going with Wii though now...

felipeko

jarrod said:
The first batch sold out pretty quick iirc, and I think there was actually a revised model available later... we never got solid numbers on the thing though (unlike PSX, which around 150k lifetime iirc).

I bet Panasonic would kill to get a similar deal going with Wii though now...
Funny thing Gradiente, a brazilian company, had a deal to manufacture Gamecube back in the day.. I bet they wish a similar deal too..

jarrod

Banned
iidesuyo said:
Problem is, those hybrids never sell, no matter how successful the console is (see PSX).
Granted, though PSX's issues ran far deeper than that (paging DCharlie!). Q was considered generally successful though (enough so as to get it's own GB Player variant even), and if Panasonic was given the opportunity to handle a "DVD-Wii" I think it'd definitely build positively on that... especially right now given the scarcity of Wiis in the wild. They'd get snapped up almost instantly.

I think it'd be smart for Toshiba to released a heavily subsidized HD-DVD 360 too actually...

ethelred said:
Oh, I'm not just lumping them together. They're clearly a different tier of failures -- one is the gold medalist of failing while the other achieves only silver. Nevertheless, they're still both failures.

Isn´t a bit earlier for that?,yeah XTS is a failure right now after almost 2 years on the market and their bigger "Japanese style" games already realesed,but we need to see how Japan reacts to the big titles of PS3...

Hcoregamer00 said:
Holy freaking shit, what the hell happened to Minna No Golf 2 for the PSP?

Isn't this franchise really hot in Japan?

I'm surprised either. I know that the series slowed down on PSP, but it is still the second biggest franchise of Sony after Gran Turismo. So, now that PSP Slim is selling great, I expected something more then the first one, even if it was a launch title.

jarrod

Banned
felipeko said:
Funny thing Gradiente, a brazilian company, had a deal to manufacture Gamecube back in the day.. I bet they wish a similar deal too..
It's sort of strange... only Panasonic and Sharp have ever actually produced official Nintendo licensed hardware variants before. Nobody's ever produced licensed PlayStation hardware either (though I remember Toshiba was going to do a PS2 variant once upon a time) or Xbox hardware (though Microsoft wanted firms like NEC to make boxes for them) and about everybody's done a SEGA system (Samsung, Hitachi, JVC, Pioneer, Aiwa, TecToy, Majesco, Mattel, IBM, etc, etc).

jarrod

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Isn´t a bit earlier for that?,yeah XTS is a failure right now after almost 2 years on the market and their bigger "Japanese style" games already realesed,but we need to see how Japan reacts to the big titles of PS3...
PS3's already gotten a few "big titles" though... VF was one of them actually. :/

Relaxed Muscle said:

Everything is relative, 360 has already passed its predecessors LTD, Wii will this week, and PS3 won't ever.

The first milestone is always to do better than you have done before.

Relaxed Muscle said:
Waiting for something around the corner to maybe turn PS3 around... is there a gaming equivalent for the "Friedman unit"?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
With all due respect, there are only a handful of titles that are bigger than ones released that will be coming out.

Going down the PS2 list, let's look at every single PS2 million seller:
DQ8, DQ5r - DQ is not coming to PS3
FFX / FFXII / FFX-2 - FFXIII in 2009
Gran Turismo 3 / Gran Turismo 4 - GT5 in 2008
Dynasty Warriors 4 / Dynasty Warriors 3 / Samurai Warriors - DW5 is already out. Did well for PS3. Did not do well by franchise standards.
Winning Eleven 6 / 7 / 8 / 2007 - 2008 came out. Did well for PS3. Did not do well by franchise standards.
MinGol 4 - MinGol 5 came out. Did well for PS3. Did not do well by franchise standards.
Kingdom Hearts II - No announced sequel
Onimusha 2 - Onimusha 3 didn't do anywhere near as well, Inafune does not want to do another one.

So out of the 8 franchises that composed the PS2 million sellers, two have no announced sequels, three have already come to the PS3 and have not done well by franchise standards, one is going to a different platform, one is next year, and one is the year after.

We can keep heading down the list, let's try all games that have sold at least 500k and are on franchises that weren't previously listed (for example KH, Onimusha 1, and many others would be on this list but are already counted in the franchises above):

Pachislot Bullshit #28 - I don't think we need to discuss Pachislot games here.
Gundam - Mixed bag for sales, multiplatform.
Metal Gear Solid 2 /3 - 800k each, 2008.
Tales of - Not PS3-bound.
Taiko Drum Master - No announced sequel, most recent installments on DS/PSP
Dragon Ball Z - None announced, franchise has declined & appears to be going towards Wii
Super Robot Taisen - None announced, multiplatform. edit: see below
Ridge Racer - Already on PS3, bombed.
Derby Stallion - None announced
Monster Hunter - Wii.
Yakuza - 570k counting best price. 2008.
Devil May Cry - DMC2 and DMC3 did not do anywhere near as well. DMC4 in 2008.
Ratchet and Clank - Out, bombed.
Virtua Fighter - Out, bombed.
Star Ocean - Multiplatform almost certainly.
MinTen - No sequel announced, see MinGol
Momotaru Dentetsu - Hard to tell. None announced for PS3. Hudson grumbled about rising costs, but they'll whore Momo until it stops selling; Wii most likely option

So, we've got Yakuza 3, DMC4, MGS4 in 2008. Everything else is out and bombed or not coming or not exclusive.

Based on what has historically sold at least 500k on the PS2 and has not yet bombed on the PS3, 2008 consists of GT4, DMC4, Yakuza 3, MGS4. 2009 is FFXIII.

The PS3 might yet do very well in Japan, but it won't be by the grace of "Awesome megaton PS2 franchises that haven't shown up yet".

jarrod

Banned
Super Robot Taisen games *have* been announced for PS3 & Wii fwiw. Then again, one was announced for 360, and it turned out to be a GC port up. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jarrod said:
Super Robot Taisen games *have* been announced for PS3 & Wii fwiw. Then again, one was announced for 360, and it turned out to be a GC port up. :lol

I hadn't heard about either, although I'm aware of SRW XO. Is there any info beyond a name for either announcement?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Relaxed Muscle said:
Hey, we haven't had one of these kinds of posters in the MC threads in a while have we? I stopped paying attention the last couple of weeks.

Stumpokapow said:
With all due respect, there are only a handful of titles that are bigger than ones released that will be coming out.

Going down the PS2 list, let's look at every single PS2 million seller:
DQ8, DQ5r - DQ is not coming to PS3
FFX / FFXII / FFX-2 - FFXIII in 2009
Gran Turismo 3 / Gran Turismo 4 - GT5 in 2008
Dynasty Warriors 4 / Dynasty Warriors 3 / Samurai Warriors - DW5 is already out. Did well for PS3. Did not do well by franchise standards.
Winning Eleven 6 / 7 / 8 / 2007 - 2008 came out. Did well for PS3. Did not do well by franchise standards.
MinGol 4 - MinGol 5 came out. Did well for PS3. Did not do well by franchise standards.
Kingdom Hearts II - No announced sequel
Onimusha 2 - Onimusha 3 didn't do anywhere near as well, Inafune does not want to do another one.

So out of the 8 franchises that composed the PS2 million sellers, two have no announced sequels, three have already come to the PS3 and have not done well by franchise standards, one is going to a different platform, one is next year, and one is the year after.

We can keep heading down the list, let's try all games that have sold at least 500k and are on franchises that weren't previously listed (for example KH, Onimusha 1, and many others would be on this list but are already counted in the franchises above):

Pachislot Bullshit #28 - I don't think we need to discuss Pachislot games here.
Gundam - Mixed bag for sales, multiplatform.
Metal Gear Solid 2 /3 - 800k each, 2008.
Tales of - Not PS3-bound.
Taiko Drum Master - No announced sequel, most recent installments on DS/PSP
Dragon Ball Z - None announced, franchise has declined & appears to be going towards Wii
Super Robot Taisen - None announced, multiplatform. edit: see below
Ridge Racer - Already on PS3, bombed.
Monster Hunter - Wii.
Yakuza - 570k counting best price. 2008.
Devil May Cry - DMC2 and DMC3 did not do anywhere near as well. DMC4 in 2008.
Ratchet and Clank - Out, bombed.
Virtua Fighter - Out, bombed.
Star Ocean - Multiplatform almost certainly.
MinTen - No sequel announced, see MinGol
Momotaru Dentetsu - Hard to tell. None announced for PS3. Hudson grumbled about rising costs, but they'll whore Momo until it stops selling; Wii most likely option

So, we've got Yakuza 3, DMC4, MGS4 in 2008. Everything else is out and bombed or not coming or not exclusive.

Based on what has historically sold at least 500k on the PS2 and has not yet bombed on the PS3, 2008 consists of GT4, DMC4, Yakuza 3, MGS4. 2009 is FFXIII.

The PS3 might yet do very well in Japan, but it won't be by the grace of "Awesome megaton PS2 franchises that haven't shown up yet".

What you say is very sad, but true. Good resume of the actual situation.

Busaiku

jarrod said:
I hadn't heard of any Wii game yet, when was it announced?

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
f@luS said:
a fake price drop (it was almost the same price before. Its mostly a new color (but no new model, a new color only has never been a big hit in sales, at least not a classic color like white)

The cheapest PS3 was 49,980 yen ($426.140 USD) it is now 39,980 yen ($340.874 USD).

f@luS said:
It was around 10k weekly , its now around 40k weekly. Its quite good i think

Sales always increase in Japan this time of year. If the PS3 is doing 40k a week come mid January then you can say it is doing better. I don`t see that happening.

felipeko

jarrod said:
It's sort of strange... only Panasonic and Sharp have ever actually produced official Nintendo licensed hardware variants before. Nobody's ever produced licensed PlayStation hardware either (though I remember Toshiba was going to do a PS2 variant once upon a time) or Xbox hardware (though Microsoft wanted firms like NEC to make boxes for them) and about everybody's done a SEGA system (Samsung, Hitachi, JVC, Pioneer, Aiwa, TecToy, Majesco, Mattel, IBM, etc, etc).
I'm pretty sure Gradiente had a deal (they were also responsible for the release, not manufacture, of N64 here)... I can't find any news.. but found about it: here http://wiki.nintendo-scene.com/GameCube and here http://forums.maxconsole.net/showpost.php?p=45887&postcount=1

I didn't notice Biohazard 5 on your list . I thought the series did well in japan on the PS2. Also new IPs such as White knight Chronicles and Last Remnant with a good chance of doing well in Japan and yearly franchises like WE and Basesball games should also be considered. Another thing is that any multiplatform game that the PS3 shares with the X360 might as well be an exclusive in japan for how much it will outsell it's counterpart, assuming they are day and date releases. All told, the picture is not that bleak for the PS3. Even if we confine the discussion to your list there are more known sellers than on either Wii or X360 for 2008 in japan.

ethelred

Josh: Friedman? I'd say it's more equivalent to Hoover's constant bleatings that "Prosperity is just around the corner."

Wonderdave said:
I didn't notice Biohazard 5 on your list . I thought the series did well in japan on the PS2. Also new IPs such as White knight Chronicles and Last Remnant with a good chance of doing well in Japan and yearly franchises like WE and Basesball games should also be considered. Another thing is that any multiplatform game that the PS3 shares with the X360 might as well be an exclusive in japan for how much it will outsell it's counterpart, assuming they are day and date releases. All told, the picture is not that bleak for the PS3. Even if we confine the discussion to your list there are more known sellers than on either Wii or X360 for 2008 in japan.

And yet it's still a catastrophic failure.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wonderdave said:
I didn't notice Biohazard 5 on your list . I thought the series did well in japan on the PS2.

BH4 did not break 500k but did come close (74th best selling title on the system, total of 450k sales--all numbers, by the way, come direct from our awesome friend Moor-Angol at Japan Game Charts.). BH5 is also multiplatform. For BH5 to break 500k, it would have to be the best selling PS3 title ever

Also new IPs such as White knight Chronicles and Last Remnant with a good chance of doing well in Japan and yearly franchises like WE and Basesball games should also be considered.

WKC and LR will do well. I expect WKC to do very well. Probably 200k+. It won't break 500k.

It won't notably drive hardware in a way other than MinBump and MusouBump. I don't think WE and PPB are worth considering here, because a) releases that have happened on the PS3 have not done well or even adequate by series standards, and b) they're so widely multiplatform that they won't be a unique draw to the PS3.

LR, I'm not sure. It'll obviously do well for the PS3, but I don't think it'll do well relative to budget or relative to Square-Enix standards. Good thing they're releasing it worldwide simultaneously so there'll never be a reason to consider Japanese sales in isolation.

All told, the picture is not that bleak for the PS3. Even if we confine the discussion to your list there are more known sellers than on either Wii or X360 for 2008 in japan.

Confining the discussion to my list, you have a trend where every single PS2 big seller that was released on the PS3 declined cataclysmically over the PS2 installment. The same is not true for the Wii (Fire Emblem, Mario Party, WarioWare, and Paper Mario all tied or improved their stature--versus Mario trailing Sunshine slightly and Zelda and Mario Strikers in a serious decline).

The Wii can't by definition have known sellers based on its predecessor because the Cube bombed badly. The franchises that did well on the Cube have been mixed on the Wii, although the record has been notably better than the PS3s. In terms of upcoming non-franchise surefire hits, Wii Music will obviously do fairly well. Wii Fit is just beginning its run right now. Third-party support is not guaranteed at this point. Certainly that's a weak spot for the Wii. Square-Enix is pledging a good deal of support, although obviously less than to the PS3 because FFXIII remains a very large elephant in the room. Capcom is doing okay; Monster Hunter is a pretty big catch, although it's bigger on portables.

I'm not saying "PS3 WILL NEVER SELL GAMES". I'm just saying that this attitude of "Well, wait for <x>" has not panned out for the PS3 and it's not going to pan out based on the list that I posted.

If the new argument is "Who needs PS2 franchises? New franchises have come to take the place of the old dinos!", I'm not sure that holds up. Motorstorm, Lair, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, and Eye of Judgment all bombed. Resistance did very well for the PS3 but only sold 135k. If you want to look at that evidence and say "PS3 is a fertile ground for new IP", go for it.

So, the PS3 may yet succeed... but it will only be with a slow and steady growth of both hardware, classic IP, and new IP. In the mean time, it's going to be one hell of a money bleeder as far as Japan is concerned, as development costs are substantially higher than last gen and sales are substantially lower.

Koren

Shepherd said:
The cheapest PS3 was 49,980 yen ($426.140 USD) it is now 39,980 yen ($340.874 USD).
Actually, the official priced went down from 49.980 to 44.980 before the launch of the 40GB, and the actual price in shops was lower (you usually could find a PS3 for 42-43k).

(I personnaly think that ~5k drop is not enough interesting when you loose perfect BC, but many people would desagree)

Stumpokapow said:
If I'm not mistaken, there was one at last TGS running on a PS3. So I guess there's one out or that will soon be (completely playable).

Nobody seemed really interested in trying the game, though.

jarrod said:
PS3's already gotten a few "big titles" though... VF was one of them actually. :/

True,...but why do you choose VF?...you could say Minna no Golf or Dinasty Warriors.... lol

The Innocent X said:
Everything is relative, 360 has already passed its predecessors LTD, Wii will this week, and PS3 won't ever.

The first milestone is always to do better than you have done before.

Well in the case of XTS...,if a get 2 points in an exam and a 2.5 points in the next try I wouldn´t call that a milestone of nothing.

Maybe 800k - 900k is better that 500k but is still depressing and ridiculous for a console in Japan,even more depressing if you think how hard MS tried to get that Japanese audience...

Obviously the damage is done,PS3 won´t succesful as PS2 was,never....,but from that point to the total failure...,theres a long way...

Stumpokapow said:
*I dont want to quote all that lol*

Yeah,I agree on the most part,but the remaining titles are pretty big and can easily changes the things for PS3,not talking about 100k+ week sales but more like 60k-70k every week,and we have to take in mind, things like White Knight Story and other new IP,and other things,look what the new PSP model did to the PSP sales....

To get some perspective on PS3 as a secondary console, I decided to compare it to GCN of 2001 and 2002. 2001 was still in the launch period and had the big SSBM bump; 2002 not so much. Those are from Famitsu. For PS3 I've got Famitsu and MC from this year. All go from late October to early December.
http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamech...ystem[3]=PS3&date[3]=2007-10-29&tracker[3]=mc
Wonderdave said:
I didn't notice Biohazard 5 on your list . I thought the series did well in japan on the PS2.
It did really well in Japan on PS1. PS2 had Outbreaks, Gun Survivors, and the CVX/RE4 ports; none of which hit half a million.
Wonderdave said:
Even if we confine the discussion to your list there are more known sellers than on either Wii or X360 for 2008 in japan.
Well, it is a list confined to only PS2 successes. If he was looking at 500+K series from last generation overall things like Super Smash Bros. Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing would join the list.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah,I agree on the most part,but the remaining titles are pretty big and can easily changes the things for PS3,not talking about 100k+ week sales but more like 60k-70k every week,and we have to take in mind, things like White Knight Story and other new IP,and other things,look what the new PSP model did to the PSP sales....

But a "new model" can just as easily propel the DS or the Wii as it can the PS3. The Wii is more able to price drop than the PS3. Everyone has new IP and with the exception of WKS/C there's not anything that seems destined for notable success on the PS3 and in the mean time the "Wii <x>" concept is the most successful new IP in at least a decade.

70k a week is 3.6 million a year, which is on par with the PS2 over a 6 year lifespan. If 60-70k is an average week, counting holiday bumps you're looking at the PS3 doing BETTER than the PS2. I think we can count that out.

Since I haven't mentioned my own predictions before; I believe, personally, that the PS3 will likely do very very well as a secondary system (probably 8 million units sold lifetime in Japan). I think on the whole the US and Europe will enable it not to be a financial disaster.

Stumpokapow said:
But a "new model" can just as easily propel the DS or the Wii as it can the PS3. The Wii is more able to price drop than the PS3. Everyone has new IP and with the exception of WKS/C there's not anything that seems destined for notable success on the PS3 and in the mean time the "Wii <x>" concept is the most successful new IP in at least a decade.

70k a week is 3.6 million a year, which is on par with the PS2 over a 6 year lifespan. If 60-70k is an average week, counting holiday bumps you're looking at the PS3 doing BETTER than the PS2. I think we can count that out.

Since I haven't mentioned my own predictions before; I believe, personally, that the PS3 will likely do very very well as a secondary system (probably 8 million units sold lifetime in Japan). I think on the whole the US and Europe will enable it not to be a financial disaster.

My bad for taking DS numbers as reference....LOL.

Well I think we agree on the most important part,PS3 will be the secondary system(at least in Japan) with some decent sales.

Relaxed Muscle said:
the remaining titles are pretty big and can easily changes the things for PS3,not talking about 100k+ week sales but more like 60k-70k every week

No, that cannot happen. 60-70k per week is like the peak of PS2 performance -- a level achieved through constant release of successful software across all genres over the system's entire lifetime.

Absent a complete out-of-left-field, unprecedented, and unpredictable new IP that produces an uncontrollable buying frenzy (absent, that is, a Wii Sports) there is no way the PS3 will ever in its lifetime sell 60-70k per week for an extended non-holiday period.

Stumpokapow said:
BH4 did not break 500k but did come close (74th best selling title on the system, total of 450k sales--all numbers, by the way, come direct from our awesome friend Moor-Angol at Japan Game Charts.). BH5 is also multiplatform. For BH5 to break 500k, it would have to be the best selling PS3 title ever.
Thanks i was genuinly curious about BH sales, I thought they were sightly better though.

Stumpokapow said:
WKC and LR will do well. I expect WKC to do very well. Probably 200k+. It won't break 500k.

It won't notably drive hardware in a way other than MinBump and MusouBump. I don't think WE and PPB are worth considering here, because a) releases that have happened on the PS3 have not done well or even adequate by series standards, and b) they're so widely multiplatform that they won't be a unique draw to the PS3.

LR, I'm not sure. It'll obviously do well for the PS3, but I don't think it'll do well relative to budget or relative to Square-Enix standards. Good thing they're releasing it worldwide simultaneously so there'll never be a reason to consider Japanese sales in isolation.
WKS sales really depend on wether Sony gets behind this game and pushes it out there I can see it doing in the 330K- 400K range. I kinda agree about LR though it will sell better on the PS3 than the X360 in japan but worldwide sales are what S-E is looking at with this title. As an aside if LR doesn't sell well on the X360 in NA/EU then I think that The PS3 becomes the future home of every JRPG that MS isn't willing to moneyhat.

Stumpokapow said:
Confining the discussion to my list, you have a trend where every single PS2 big seller that was released on the PS3 declined cataclysmically over the PS2 installment. The same is not true for the Wii (Fire Emblem, Mario Party, WarioWare, and Paper Mario all tied or improved their stature--versus Mario trailing Sunshine slightly and Zelda and Mario Strikers in a serious decline)..
Lower sales are to be expected because of the lower install base, to me the more interesting thing is that what sells well on the PS2 also sells relatively well on the PS3. It makes the PS3 very predictable in terms of what will or will not do well on the platform.

Stumpokapow said:
The Wii can't by definition have known sellers based on its predecessor because the Cube bombed badly. The franchises that did well on the Cube have been mixed on the Wii, although the record has been notably better than the PS3s. In terms of upcoming non-franchise surefire hits, Wii Music will obviously do fairly well. Wii Fit is just beginning its run right now. Third-party support is not guaranteed at this point. Certainly that's a weak spot for the Wii. Square-Enix is pledging a good deal of support, although obviously less than to the PS3 because FFXIII remains a very large elephant in the room. Capcom is doing okay; Monster Hunter is a pretty big catch, although it's bigger on portables.

I'm not saying "PS3 WILL NEVER SELL GAMES". I'm just saying that this attitude of "Well, wait for <x>" has not panned out for the PS3 and it's not going to pan out based on the list that I posted.
If the new argument is "Who needs PS2 franchises? New franchises have come to take the place of the old dinos!", I'm not sure that holds up. Motorstorm, Lair, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, and Eye of Judgment all bombed. Resistance did very well for the PS3 but only sold 135k. If you want to look at that evidence and say "PS3 is a fertile ground for new IP", go for it.

So, the PS3 may yet succeed... but it will only be with a slow and steady growth of both hardware, classic IP, and new IP. In the mean time, it's going to be one hell of a money bleeder as far as Japan is concerned, as development costs are substantially higher than last gen and sales are substantially lower.
The wait for game (x) attittude never worked, the whole of the offerings on any console is what should be looked at and in '08 Sony has a good amount of variety in the software deptartment that should have a wide if not deep appeal. Sony lost momentum after the launch but I think that they can continue to get back on solid footing if they continue to focus on getting games that appeal to the PS2 crowd moved over to the PS3 alongside developing new IPs.

Top Bottom