• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/26 - 12/2 2007

gray_fox224

People need the stop bitching about Mario Gal.

1153461273_bush_crying_baby.jpg

castle007

Banned
Awesome Wii Fit and Prof. Layton numbers. And Galaxy better have legs

Capcom must be very pleased with its success, hopefully this will translate into huge success in the U.S too.

mutsu

madara said:
Hmm recreating a wii fit software shortage intentionally or being conversative the first week would actually make business sense if they weren't hundred percent sure on continuing casual crazy.

In order to do this they need to have stock ready, which means they would have made the game + balance board already, so I don't think it works like that.

castle007 said:
Awesome Wii Fit and Prof. Layton numbers. And Galaxy better have legs

Capcom must be very pleased with its success, hopefully this will translate into huge success in the U.S too.

What is Capcom pleased with exactly???

wsippel

Banned
Bebpo said:
So ummm, Capcom was planning on moving Sengoku Basara series to Wii thinking that's where the fanbase is at. They release a PS2 version just to not totally backstab people.

PS2 version charts in the top10.

Wii version no where to be seen in the top30.

Doesn't fare to well for SB3 Wii! Wonder what Capcom's thinking right now.
I don't think Capcom is surprised. It was a quick-and-dirty port with no additions or improvements at all, and quite a bit more expensive.

tanod

when is my burrito
madara said:
Hmm recreating a wii fit software shortage intentionally or being conversative the first week would actually make business sense if they weren't hundred percent sure on continuing casual crazy.

Depending on when they plan to launch in NA, they have to be holding back some balance board hardware for that. Replication of the software is a non-issue.

madara said:
No doubt it's intentional, but not to build up artificial demand. When you manufacture, it's much better (more cost effective) to manufacture at a constant rate rather than produce a million units at once then have your facilities sitting idle. The balance board is a unique product, after all.

This reminds me. I've forgotten how the retail channel typically works in Japan.

Do retailers typically buy goods off the manufacturers or is it more common to have stock belong to the manufacturer until point of sale, at which point the retailer takes its cut?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
tanod said:
Depending on when they plan to launch in NA, they have to be holding back some balance board hardware for that. Replication of the software is a non-issue.
Aren't the boards for NA reinforced for fat people?

jgwhiteus

tanod said:

I thought the rumor was that the Balance Board would be different hardware for NA (specifically, it would be able to handle more than 300 lbs.)?

EDIT: Beaten

Vinnk

By the way guys, Other than WiiFit, what would you like me to look for when I visit the stores tonight?

Lightning

Banned
ElFly said:
Why was Assassin's Creed PS3 delayed on japan?

Or was AC 360 rushed without translation over there?
I'd say Microsoft bought timed exclusive in a plan to help them gain momentum for Lost Odyssey next week. Microsoft's plan actually would have worked if Japan weren't so rejectful. Price drop, bundle + AC6 on Nov1, next week Musou5, 2 weeks later PES08, following week Assassins Creed and then Lost Odyssey looks like a good lineup with bundles and price drop thrown in.

Unfortunately for Microsoft though, Japan ignored Musou 5 and PES08 on the 360 and their hardware sales went plummeted back to just above where they started.

Guys, don't expect big GT5: Prologue numbers since it's a PSN title as well. :lol

.dmc

Banned
Grecco said:
Layton isnt a puzzle game.

Can't you remember the Layton reveal thread? It's a logic game with the backing of a prominent Japanese puzzle writer, proof of the decline of gaming and of Brain Age's detrimental influence.

tanod

when is my burrito
Vinnk said:
By the way guys, Other than WiiFit, what would you like me to look for when I visit the stores tonight?

Used copies of Musuo 5 and WE (PS3), Ace Combat 6 and SMG?

Aren't the boards for NA reinforced for fat people?
Rumor or not, they still need to set aside manufacturing time.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Vinnk said:
Layton 1 and 2 please. Specifically if there are many used copies of Layton 1 around.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinnk said:

Could you ask around and see what the hype is like for Tales of Innocence?

tanod

when is my burrito
Jirotrom said:
I didn't know wii fit was just for 1 day, I based my predictions off a full week of sales:(

2 Days. Came out Saturday. Japanese sales week ends on Sunday.

Tron 2.0

tanod said:
The Wii Sports/Play numbers are indicating to me that there was significantly less than 70,000 Wiis sold this week unless Wii Fit has supplanted purchases of Wii Sports.
Sounds about right.

Vinnk said:
If you could check on DQIV sir Gov, that would be appreciated. I think it's probably just having a DQ drop, but it'd be interesting to see if it's sold out now or something.

Bebpo

Banned
wsippel said:
I don't think Capcom is surprised. It was a quick-and-dirty port with no additions or improvements at all, and quite a bit more expensive.

Actually it was not.

The reason why the expansion did not come out 3-6 months after SB2 and instead took a full YEAR+ to come out was that Capcom spent the entire time porting the engine to Wii and working on the Wii version. The PS2 version was an afterthought and supposedly it wasn't even planned to come out at originally, just Wii only like Monster Hunter 3. Capcom was definitely expecting the Wii version to sell better than the PS2 version, hell they even made the art into mainstream anime style to appeal to the more casual audience.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they make SB3 dual-platform on PS2/Wii instead of Wii only just to be safe.

Crusade

Lightning said:
I'd say Microsoft bought timed exclusive in a plan to help them gain momentum for Lost Odyssey next week. Microsoft's plan actually would have worked if Japan weren't so rejectful. Price drop, bundle + AC6 on Nov1, next week Musou5, 2 weeks later PES08, following week Assassins Creed and then Lost Odyssey looks like a good lineup with bundles and price drop thrown in.

Unfortunately for Microsoft though, Japan ignored Musou 5 and PES08 on the 360 and their hardware sales went plummeted back to just above where they started.

Guys, don't expect big GT5: Prologue numbers since it's a PSN title as well. :lol
Is PSN very widespread in Japan anyway? I think most of the sales will be through retail

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
tanod said:
Rumor or not, they still need to set aside manufacturing time.
I agree but the NA launch still doesn't have a date and judging how NoA has listed all its titles through February already, it won't be released until March at the earliest.

jgwhiteus

tanod said:
The Wii Sports/Play numbers are indicating to me that there was significantly less than 70,000 Wiis sold this week unless Wii Fit has supplanted purchases of Wii Sports.

? I thought Famitsu's numbers already established that Wii sold about 70000 this week. I mean, Media Create's numbers could go either direction (though I thought MC usually tracked Nintendo higher?), but I don't know if the Wii Sports/Play numbers will indicate that.

Tron 2.0

jgwhiteus said:
? I thought Famitsu's numbers already established that Wii sold about 70000 this week. I mean, Media Create's numbers could go either direction (though I thought MC usually tracked Nintendo higher?), but I don't know if the Wii Sports/Play numbers will indicate that.
Historically, Famitsu has skewed the PS3 higher and the Wii lower.

So if the trend continues, MC should show the Wii with more than 70,000.

mutsu

Bebpo said:
Actually it was not.

The reason why the expansion did not come out 3-6 months after SB2 and instead took a full YEAR+ to come out was that Capcom spent the entire time porting the engine to Wii and working on the Wii version. The PS2 version was an afterthought and supposedly it wasn't even planned to come out at originally, just Wii only like Monster Hunter 3. Capcom was definitely expecting the Wii version to sell better than the PS2 version, hell they even made the art into mainstream anime style to appeal to the more casual audience.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they make SB3 dual-platform on PS2/Wii instead of Wii only just to be safe.

Doesn't really make sense though. If Capcom was expecting the game to sell better on Wii than PS2, then why include Sengoku Basara 1 also in the Wii version making it more expensive? If you have already played Sengoku Basara 1 and have a PS2, wouldn't you just buy the cheaper PS2 version of Sengoku Basara 2?

Segata Sanshiro said:
If you could check on DQIV sir Gov, that would be appreciated. I think it's probably just having a DQ drop, but it'd be interesting to see if it's sold out now or something.
Seconded. I'd like to know what the situation here is as well. It'd be interesting to see if demand was predicted properly.

Also, since no one answered my question about the Japanese retail channel, what is the normal model? Do retailers purchase stock outright, or do they simply take a cut of each sale then send back whatever stock doesn't sell?

gray_fox224

Crusade said:
Is PSN very widespread in Japan anyway? I think most of the sales will be through retail

I would think that it will have an impact. The number of homes with broadband in JP is larger than ours(NA)

Banned
Bebpo said:
Actually it was not.

So is the wii version the same price as the PS2 version, or is the wii version not a port?

Jirotrom

ethelred said:
It came with a game.
we know you hate wii-fit, let it be. I'm sure you don't like it when people call games like Tactics ogre and Fire Emblem crap. I have to deal with that and its fairly annoying.

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Seconded. I'd like to know what the situation here is as well. It'd be interesting to see if demand was predicted properly.

Also, since no one answered my question about the Japanese retail channel, what is the normal model? Do retailers purchase stock outright, or do they simply take a cut of each sale then send back whatever stock doesn't sell?
Judging by the tables of clearance Mother 3's I saw when I was in Tokyo in May, I somehow doubt they can send back what doesn't sell.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
charted-titles-52.jpg

quick n' dirty. the last week only includes the top 30, which is amazing for the Wii -- it currently has 8 and if it can find (3?) more in 31-50 it could have the most titles in the top 50 that it ever has. Also note that the PS3 seems to be picking up steam -- just as the PS2 (not charted) seems to be losing it. I think there may be a correlation and it might also be fair to say that every PS2 title "should" count towards the PS3 count. Oh-well. Just trying to stay consistent.

*if anybody can provide data quicker than I can mine it out of every single one of cheesy's posts for the past bloody year i would dedicate my next chart to you?*

gray_fox224

Segata Sanshiro said:
Judging by the tables of clearance Mother 3's I saw when I was in Tokyo in May, I somehow doubt they can send back what doesn't sell.

I know, I saw so many copies. I should had bought one. =(

jgwhiteus

mutsu said:
Doesn't really make sense though. If Capcom was expecting the game to sell better on Wii than PS2, then why include Sengoku Basara 1 also in the Wii version making it more expensive? If you have already played Sengoku Basara 1 and have a PS2, wouldn't you just buy the cheaper PS2 version of Sengoku Basara 2?

Also, how do we know Capcom's sales expectations for the two versions? I know they've had presentations providing their WW expectations for other titles (RE), but hadn't seen any for SB2.

If anything, I'd be surprised if Capcom was expecting better numbers on the Wii, because their sales predictions for the RE titles on Wii have been on the low end (and seem likely to be surpassed on both counts).

tanod

when is my burrito
Crusade said:

They have 100+ PS1 games on the Japanese PS Store, do regular updates for the Mainicchi Issho "non-game" among other games, videos and demos.

I'm guessing they have a decent amount of consumers supporting the Store in Japan to justify that amount of content.

Bebpo

Banned
mutsu said:

The Wii version came with Sengoku Basara 2 because Heroes is the expansion disc to 2 and SB2 is pretty much required for the full experience. The Wii version cost the same as a normal game in Japan and had SB2+Heroes. The PS2 version was budget priced and expansion pack only.

So is the wii version the same price as the PS2 version, or is the wii version not a port?

It's not a port if it's made on the Wii and then done on the PS2 secondly.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Vinnk said:
The Pikmin games.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I was totally wrong about that, I see. Gee, isn't my face red?

Shame though, I could see a lot of benefit in that other model.

Top Bottom