• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/10 - 12/16 2007

Link316

Banned
EDarkness said:
Based on some recent announcements, I get the feeling not many companies have moved over assets to the Wii. Seems more and more announcements are PS3/360 which doesn't bode well at changing the Wii 3rd party landscape. I think the Wii will spend the rest of its life covered in ports and low quality software overall with the occasional token franchise spin-off hitting the system. The situation is fairly sad, to be honest.

if a 3rd party wants next gen graphics PS3 or 360 is their only choice, if they wanna stick with last gen they're better off putting their games on the PS2 with its cheaper development and higher sales, so there's just not much incentive for 3rd parties to shift to the Wii

EDarkness said:
Based on some recent announcements, I get the feeling not many companies have moved over assets to the Wii. Seems more and more announcements are PS3/360 which doesn't bode well at changing the Wii 3rd party landscape. I think the Wii will spend the rest of its life covered in ports and low quality software overall with the occasional token franchise spin-off hitting the system. The situation is fairly sad, to be honest.
From a business perspective, this doesn't really affect the Wii very much, if at all. It's the third parties that have always more to lose with a dominant Nintendo console whether they like it or not.

It's sad from a gamer's perspective, of course but I doubt Nintendo fans are crying over spilt milk since they're probably used to it.

Satter

Banned
Lobster said:
fixed.

We already have a thread about someone being shocked about Ps3s media capabilities..Ken told him about it..he just didn't listen..now Kens fired.

Yeah, the consumers did it, because they they should've accepted a $600 videogame console with a disk drive that they didn't want.

Damn them. DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!!

pota_________7.jpg

Link316 said:
if they wanna stick with last gen they're better off putting their games on the PS2 with its cheaper development and higher sales, so there's just not much incentive for 3rd parties to shift to the Wii
To repeat what I said above: Monster Hunter is the biggest new PS2 franchise of the last 4 years. If anyone wants to try and move something new, the early years on new systems really seems to be the most conducive time.

Or maybe that's just when developers/publishers try the most, before falling into a set pattern of more-of-the-same?

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:
To repeat what I said above: Monster Hunter is the biggest new PS2 franchise of the last 4 years. If anyone wants to try and move something new, the early years on new systems really seems to be the most conducive time.

Or maybe that's just when developers/publishers try the most, before falling into a set pattern of more-of-the-same?

I predict that all of your post (and anyone else who does not agree with Link316's view) will fall on deaf ears (not change Link316's attitude). He is an anti-nintendo fanboy, through and through.

Unless you have too much free time, I suggest you to spend your time doing something else, something more usefull (and less pointless).

Edit : about your Monster Hunter post, I agree. Maybe we can add Yakuza (Ryu Ga Gotoku) to it ? I believe it is a new PS2 franchise also (IIRC).

apujanata said:
Edit : about your Monster Hunter post, I agree. Maybe we can add Yakuza (Ryu Ga Gotoku) to it ? I believe it is a new PS2 franchise also (IIRC).
Yeah, that might actually be a better one, since Yakuza didn't come out until 2005, and it seems the three major releases outsell the three major Monster Hunter PS2 releases.

Yakuza: 345K
Yakuza the Best: 450K
Yakuza 2: 573K

donny2112

apujanata said:
I predict that all of your post (and anyone else who does not agree with Link316's view) will fall on deaf ears

Hey, it's cool. If developers/publishers don't want to try to make games for Nintendo systems' audiences, that's fine with me. Separating the wheat from the chaff, etc. Getting rid of a few developers/publishers who won't move out of the past probably isn't a bad thing.

Kosma

Banned
donny2112 said:
Hey, it's cool. If developers/publishers don't want to try to make games for Nintendo systems' audiences, that's fine with me. Separating the wheat from the chaff, etc. Getting rid of a few developers/publishers who won't move out of the past probably isn't a bad thing.

If you think any dev will suffer from not supporting Nintendo then you are mistaken. 3rd party money is on the HD platforms.

polluar

Pureauthor said:
Kinda useless without exact numbers, but thanks.

Also, I heard FFIV was 325K to 385K week 1.

FF4 DS : about 309k

Mario Party DS : about 308k (total about 1.07m)

Wii Fit : about 210k (total about 737k)

Super Mario Galaxy : about 109k (total about 680k)

Wii Sports : about 109k (total about 2.37m)

DQ4 : about 108k (total about 963k)

Wii Play : about 105k

Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics : about 100k (total about 307k)

Dora Base : about 96k (sell through % is about 90%)

Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator 2 : about 94k

Card Hero DS (DS) : about 49k

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri: Kakera Asobi (PS2) : about 42k

Powerful Pro Baseball 14 Final Edition (PS2) : about 37k

Time Crisis 4 (PS3) : about 20k

Hajime no Ippo (PSP) : about 16k

Patapon (PSP) : about 16k

Survival Kids (DS) : about 14k

Powerful Baseball Wii Final Edition (Wii) : about 11k

Medal of Honour: Airborne (PS3) : about 7.9k

Myself;Yourself (PS2) : about 7.7k

FIFA 2008 (PS3) : about 4.9k

The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki Material Collection (PSP) : abuot 3.6k

The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki Complete Edition (PSP) : about 3.1k

FIFA 2008 (Wii) : about 2.5k

FIFA 2008 (360) : about 2.4k

Console :

Wii : about 264k

DSL : about 319k

PS3 : about 51k

PS2 : about 24k

PSP : about 162k

360 : about 8.1k

Ydahs

oo Kosma oo said:
If you think any dev will suffer from not supporting Nintendo then you are mistaken. 3rd party money is on the HD platforms.

I don't think small devs can live off the PS3 and 360, since to gain a profit you need to sell a lot of copies, much more than the Wii.
The small devs will suffer if they rely only on HD platforms, though the established devs with a big enough reputation will do fine.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mario Party DS joins Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 and Monster Hunter Freedom 2 as the only 2007 release million sellers in Japan. (Astute sales agers would be right to notice that several 2006 releases have sold more than a million copies through 2007, though!)

Also, Card Hero tracking on the upper end of the b-tier DS games. Expect lifetime of 130-180k.

Pureauthor said:
FFIII day one sales = FFIV week one sales :lol

Well, it goes both ways. From one POV, it's a 75% sellthrough which isn't really spectacular. On the other hand, the initial shipment is so much smaller than SE obviously expected lower first week sales.

sazzy

polluar said:
Wii Fit : about 210k (total about 737k)

Super Mario Galaxy : about 109k (total about 680k)

Wii Sports : about 109k (total about 2.37m)

Wii Play : about 105k (total about 307k)

Console :

WOW!

*chokes*

Durante

Ydahs said:
I don't think small devs can live off the PS3 and 360, since to gain a profit you need to sell a lot of copies, much more than the Wii.
This (or variations thereof) is said 3 times a day at GAF. It's simply not true. Yes, if your game has a higher budget you need to sell more copies. But being on PS360 does not automatically mean that you need a higher budget. Easy example: Disgaea 3.

In fact, on a more powerful platform you can make the same game with less effort (budget), or a nicer looking game with the same budget.

test_account

XP-39C²
Amazing Wii hardware and software sales! DS is amazing too, but that have always been high :) PS3 is stable it seems.

Where are the GT5P numbers btw?

polluar said:
FF4 DS : about 309k

Wii Play : about 105k (total about 307k)

Console :

PS3 : about 51k

PS2 : about 24k

PSP : about 162k

360 : about 8.1k

Fun mistake...

The hardware looks good but is tracking below last year for most of the consoles right?

womfalcs3

Banned
So FIFA 2008 bombed miserably. I thought it compared well if not superior to PES this year.

Wii numbers are insane.

AniHawk

...Super Mario Galaxy could feasibly hit 1m if it keeps going at its current rate. There's still two weeks left of insane sales, aren't there? I remember the first week of the new year being a big sales week in Japan.

Jacobi

Banned
Poor Patapon :(

AniHawk said:
...Super Mario Galaxy could feasibly hit 1m if it keeps going at its current rate. There's still two weeks left of insane sales, aren't there? I remember the first week of the new year being a big sales week in Japan.
You mean it could outsell Sunshine?

Weisheit

test_account said:
True, but it doesnt change the fact that its been around 50k for some weeks now.

What numbers did you expect?
Well sales are supposed to go up during the big sales weeks correct?

gkryhewy

oo Kosma oo said:

Well, one of them anyway, and in one or two territories depending on the genre. I think 3rd parties would "suffer" (relative to maximum income potential) by not supporting Wii, simply because of the *massive* userbase being ignored. It does take some effort to nail down the types of games the Wii audience wants, but the potential for sales are huge. Activision has already "suffered" (again, relatively) in the US through not producing enough Wii copies of GH3, which will go on to outsell the 360 version LTD.

FIFA 2008 (Wii) : about 2.5k

FIFA 2008 (360) : about 2.4k

A victory for Wii third party at last!

gkrykewy said:
Well, one of them anyway, and in one or two territories depending on the genre. I think 3rd parties would "suffer" (relative to maximum income potential) by not supporting Wii, simply because of the *massive* userbase being ignored. It does take some effort to nail down the types of games the Wii audience wants, but the potential for sales are huge. Activision has already "suffered" (again, relatively) in the US through not producing enough Wii copies of GH3, which will go on to outsell the 360 version LTD.
I wouldn't go that far just yet, the 360 is still ahead in LTD by a hefty margin.

Lobster said:
Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator 2

Whats this on??

Also what of Chocobo?

Naruto is on the PS2. Chocobo most likely just disappeared from the charts. Really disappointing PS3 numbers, everything went up even 360 and PS2, while PS3 by the look of things will actually go down.

papelnabangka said:
From a business perspective, this doesn't really affect the Wii very much, if at all. It's the third parties that have always more to lose with a dominant Nintendo console whether they like it or not.

It's sad from a gamer's perspective, of course but I doubt Nintendo fans are crying over spilt milk since they're probably used to it.

This is correct, from the N64 to the GC, you just get used to things and accept them for the way they are and we've been at the receiving end for 10 years. Its like the girl next door :lol

As long as i get my first party fix from Nintendo with the occasional high quality 3rd party game here and there, i don't really care and neither does Nintendo.

test_account

XP-39C²
Weisheit said:
Well sales are supposed to go up during the big sales weeks correct?

Usually yes, but what numbers did you expect? :) There were no major game releases and PS3 doesnt have any casual or killer app games yet. But ye, sales usually goes up before x-mas, but without any must have or new big games and a higher price its a less chance for a huge boost like Wii and DS had.

Media Create tracked much higher on PS3 not long ago (think it was like 25-30k higher than Famitsu) so who knows whos closest to the correct numbers.

gkryhewy

BishopLamont said:
I wouldn't go that far just yet, the 360 is still ahead in LTD by a hefty margin.

360 version's sales were much more front-loaded, though (the trend toward legs for Wii games is very pronounced now), and I believe the Wii version outsold it in November NPDs. I expect the gap for December to widen considerably. I could be wrong, sure.

gkrykewy said:
360 version's sales were much more front-loaded, though (the trend toward legs for Wii games is very pronounced now), and I believe the Wii version outsold it in November NPDs. I expect the gap for December to widen considerably. I could be wrong, sure.

Now I think about it, the Wii version LTD will probably surpass the 360's. I was thinking you meant it in the short term, but yeah in the long run I see the Wii version selling more.

test_account said:
Usually yes, but what numbers did you expect? :) There were no major game releases and PS3 doesnt have any casual or killer app games yet. But ye, sales usually goes up before x-mas, but without any must have or new big games and a higher price its a less chance for a huge boost like Wii and DS had.

Media Create tracked much higher on PS3 not long ago (think it was like 25-30k higher than Famitsu) so who knows whos closest to the correct numbers.
Last week's Famitsu > MC was about 10k IIRC. So best case scenario the PS3 remains stable, which is still disappointing. Major releases and killer apps don't mean much during the holiday season, everything gets a boost regardless of software.

norinrad21 said:
Looks like Galaxy is on its way to outsell sunshine:D
That will happen now.

Weisheit

test_account said:
Usually yes, but what numbers did you expect? :) There were no major game releases and PS3 doesnt have any casual or killer app games yet.
Personally I didn't expect it to do anything special, but that doesn't negate the fact that we're in the middle of the biggest shopping season in Japan. At some point these consoles sell because of the games and features they already have rather than whats coming. When a console can't get a big bump for the holidays it's got big problems in my book, just look at the PSP, no big releases (I think) and it did over 150k.

At this point, it's clear that Wii and NDS are obvious winners in mass market appeal, as they get the biggest boost during the holidays. On the contrary, the dying PS2, the dead XB360, and especially the most expensive PS3 get the least boost during the holidays.

PSP is something in between.

Minsc

Gold Member
Wow, didn't expect the PS3 to stand still while the Wii goes up 100K in sales, staying stable now means the inevitable decrease after the holidays. The Wii will fall more, as it stands higher to fall from, but I don't think the PS3 will be stable at 50K in late January/February.

PSP selling very well for another week as well. Guess we'll still have to wait a few more months before Nintendo starts releasing new colors, with the Wii's recent spike in sales.

The amount of software titles which have seen decent increases this week is also pretty surprising, didn't expect Galaxy and DQ4 over 100K each.

Wii Fit looks to hit 1M easily now, and Mario Party DS already passed it, probably guaranteeing us next year's sequel.

AnimeTheme said:
At this point, it's clear that Wii and NDS are obvious winners in mass market appeal, as they get the biggest boost during the holidays. On the contrary, the dying PS2, the dead XB360, and especially the most expensive PS3 get the least boost during the holidays.

PSP is something in between.
PSP = good if not spectacular

or something like that.

Top Bottom