• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 12/15 - 12/21

jesusraz

DavidDayton said:
I had forgotten all about this title... if there were ever an English release (ha), I'd pick it up.
It's actually quite likely to get a US release. After all, D3P's bringing over Onechanbara on both Wii and 360, right?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
Anyone can take a popular children's story as the basis of a RPG scenario, but there's doesn't mean anything.

Sure, anyone can. Few do. The Tales of Hearts comparison is silly and you're smarter than that.

I don't think Riz-Zoawd doing 2k has anything to do with people knowing that it's a Wizard of Oz RPG and finding it not compelling as a scenario. Rather, I'd mainly argue that people just don't know it exists at all. I'm fine with you identifying everything else as possible contributors to the game's bombing (although I'd lean very heavily towards the business reasons; the publisher, the promotion, etc rather than the game qualiy reasons)... but I just don't see how you can make the claim that a non-licenced game based on a classic story (any classic story, really) is not a compelling scenario.

Jason and the Argonauts, for example, is a pretty shitty game, but it's obviously a compelling scenario. Dante's Inferno looks like a turd, but it's obviously a compelling scenario. I'm certain if Ubisoft did a game based on The Time Machine it'd be a shitty game, but it's obviously a compelling scenario. If the scenarios weren't compelling, they wouldn't have become literary classics.

Soule

spwolf said:
mods: i take offense at his tag :lol

p.s. calling someone stupid for calling you stupid is really awesome... oh wait.

(take a hint: chill!)
Why only criticize him when some random poster just jumps in out of nowhere and insults him without any kind of legitimate criticism? He had a right to make a sarcastic (or otherwise) retaliation to the immature post, at least he was trying to explain his posts with thought.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
Sure, anyone can. Few do. The Tales of Hearts comparison is silly and you're smarter than that.

I don't think Riz-Zoawd doing 2k has anything to do with people knowing that it's a Wizard of Oz RPG and finding it not compelling as a scenario. Rather, I'd mainly argue that people just don't know it exists at all. I'm fine with you identifying everything else as possible contributors to the game's bombing (although I'd lean very heavily towards the business reasons; the publisher, the promotion, etc rather than the game qualiy reasons)... but I just don't see how you can make the claim that a non-licenced game based on a classic story (any classic story, really) is not a compelling scenario.

Jason and the Argonauts, for example, is a pretty shitty game, but it's obviously a compelling scenario. Dante's Inferno looks like a turd, but it's obviously a compelling scenario. I'm certain if Ubisoft did a game based on The Time Machine it'd be a shitty game, but it's obviously a compelling scenario. If the scenarios weren't compelling, they wouldn't have become literary classics.

People knew OZ from Konami existed in Japan. They didn't buy it either. That was much higher budget than RIZ is and on the PS2 even. It was even an action game instead of a RPG. I think what I'm trying to say and you're misunderstanding is not that Wizard of Oz is not a good story, it's just that as a game, it's not a compelling scenario to make anyone in the masses want to buy the game at all. It's just not a compelling reason. The number of people that would go "oh, Wizard of Oz! Cool, I'm now interested in this game!" is so small it doesn't even factor into the equation. On the other hand, something more compelling in Japan for a RPG would be a scenario featuring a harem of girls, or something based on a popular manga/anime, or something with a stronger branding.

gogogow

duckroll said:
On the other hand, something more compelling in Japan for a RPG would be a scenario featuring a harem of girls, or something based on a popular manga/anime, or something with a stronger branding.

Any game with Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest in the title sells.
Anything else is a hit or miss.

jesusraz

duckroll said:
On the other hand, something more compelling in Japan for a RPG would be a scenario featuring a harem of girls...
I'm there, sign me up! ;) Know what you mean, though. I'd hardly make the purchase because of the Oz theme. The fact it's from the Wild Arms dev is more intriguing in my eyes.

Famitsu Software Stuff
Animal Crossing City Folk (3281) continues its previous trend of both failing to keep up with Wild World (95) while still doing much better than previous console releases. It should soon be the #1 console version.

Inazuma Eleven fell off the charts, but has returned with legs showing.
3159+-+Inazuma+Eleven+-+DS

Pokémon Platinum joins the 2 million club. It also apparently passes up Pokémon Emerald on the charts, though since Emerald's last update was 2007's Top 500 list its number is out of date.
Platinum

New software group: Taiko no Tatsujin
Among known numbers, Taiko no Tatsujin Wii's (3314) first week gives it rank 9 of 15. At 115K, it's the best first week of the series since... actually, ever, it appears.

donny2112

test_account said:
now that the Wii supply has gone up ... which means that it is easier to get a hold of the Wii, i think that might affect the PS2 sales alittle as well.

I'm sure that's some of it. The PS2 should still be doing better than it is if Sony had been more attentive to its performance, in my opinion.

It's also worth pointing out that Dalthien made a good argument in the NPD thread as to why Sony may not want to drop the price to $99. His point was that the expected increase in revenue due to software sales may not be enough to overcome the $30 drop in price. However, I feel an earlier PS2 price cut (if one is even coming) could've raised its sales to 2006 levels or so for at least another year and pushed off these < 200K months a while longer, which also would've extended software sales all around.

At the beginning of 2008, at least, there was definite demand for a $99 PS2 (see chart here) as the Feb-08 sales were ~350K due to one week of a $99 PS2 at Target. At this point, a $99 PS2 might not be as impactful* due to both time and Wii availability, though.

* as it could've been. A real $99 price drop across the board should push sales at least to 350K for that month. It just may not be as extended an increase as it would've been otherwise.

test_account said:
But when a 7 or 8 year old console still manage to sell over 2 million units in one year, or 206k in a month (even it was in November) i dont think that is exactly "nearly killed" just yet :) If the PS2 drops to maybe around 50k a month next year, then i agree that the PS2 is nearly being killed :)

It's like watching a former world-record holder try to run the 100m dash again and taking 30 seconds. It's still good for someone that old and compared to the general public, but it's still sad to see such a fall from the glory days. A 51% increase from October to November with October so low to begin with has got to be alarming to SCEA. We'll see if it's alarming enough to still drop the PS2 to $99 in the face of a looming PS3 price cut and a desire for profitability, though. :/

Oh, well.

swerve said:
Why so serious?

:D

Edit:
JoshuaJSlone said:
It also apparently passes up Pokémon Emerald on the charts, though since Emerald's last update was 2007's Top 500 list its number is out of date.

Emerald should still be higher for the moment. It was still selling 10K per month in October. o_O

Edit2:
Captain Smoker said:
Can someone translate me the name of this game please? ^^

&#12473;&#12506;&#12472;&#12540;&#12531;

Sold 4200 Dec 10-16, 2007?

;)

Seeing Kenka Banchou 3 good performance, I wonder if Sega shouldn't try Ryu ga Gotoku on the PSP...don't they share more or less comparable audiences/genre? Test the waters with PS2 ports if not so sure?
KB3+PSP

While I'm at it, what about a localization, come on, it can't be that expensive to license, and it isn't <10,000 niche stuff in Japan like many companies pick up (*cough*Success*cough).

PD: JJS this one doesn't have its proper name, maybe you could fix it ('Kenka Banchou 2: Full Throttle') and make a group for the series? IDs should be 2181, 2334, 2560 and 3296.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ksamedi said:
Holy shit @ a stupid person calling someone stupid. That takes courage.

Dont dig yourself a canal while people are filling it with water. The argument was over after Stump's first paragraph and you didnt even realize it

Soule

HK-47 said:
Dont dig yourself a canal while people are filling it with water. The argument was over after Stump's first paragraph and you didnt even realize it
That's great, your post was still unnecessary and unconstructive, you should've posted this before instead.

DieH@rd

Banned
PantherLotus said:
3. WOW GUNDAM PS3 HOLY SHIT WOWEEE
4. But the PS3 only sold 39k. Seriously? That means, precisely, that nearly everybody who ever wanted a PS3 in Japan...already has one.

No, it means that fans of Gundam Mussou 1 already own a PS3. ;)

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
I'm sure that's some of it. The PS2 should still be doing better than it is if Sony had been more attentive to its performance, in my opinion.
Ye, i think so too, that the PS2 could be do better than it is doing now if Sony had been more attentive to its preformance :)

donny2112 said:
It's also worth pointing out that Dalthien made a good argument in the NPD thread as to why Sony may not want to drop the price to $99. His point was that the expected increase in revenue due to software sales may not be enough to overcome the $30 drop in price.
Ye, that is a good argument indeed :) I wonder how the PS2 software sale in general is in the U.S. now, do we have any numbers or something on this? There arent exactly that many new PS2 games comming out in these days and in the near future, or? Are the stores still having a relatively big selection of PS2 games, or do the stores have a bigger focus on other software instead (like the PS3, the Xbox 360 and the Wii and so on)?

donny2112 said:
However, I feel an earlier PS2 price cut (if one is even coming) could've raised its sales to 2006 levels or so for at least another year and pushed off these < 200K months a while longer, which also would've extended software sales all around.

At the beginning of 2008, at least, there was definite demand for a $99 PS2 (see chart here) as the Feb-08 sales were ~350K due to one week of a $99 PS2 at Target. At this point, a $99 PS2 might not be as impactful* due to both time and Wii availability, though.

* as it could've been. A real $99 price drop across the board should push sales at least to 350K for that month. It just may not be as extended an increase as it would've been otherwise.
Ye, i agree, if Sony had dropped the price on the PS2 to $99 US dollars earlier, then the PS2 might have preformced better in each month from the pricedrop and until now, and maybe even some time into the future as well, compared to when/if Sony drops the price on the PS2 to $99 US dollars realtively soon.

As you pointed out, your graph shows that there was a demand for a $99 US dollars PS2 when the PS2 price was $99 US dollars for one week, maybe such a demand is still there today, or has the Wii (and any other newer gaming systems) "digged" (or what i shall say) too much into the potential PS2 sales by now? I wonder how much impact a $99 US dollars price will have on the PS2 sales in 2009 and maybe further on, if we ever see a pricedrop on the PS2 like that in 2009 that is :) I am pretty sure there will be an increase in the PS2 sales when/if a price cut is comming though, at least in the first month with something around 350k as you mentioned :)

donny2112 said:
It's like watching a former world-record holder try to run the 100m dash again and taking 30 seconds. It's still good for someone that old and compared to the general public, but it's still sad to see such a fall from the glory days. A 51% increase from October to November with October so low to begin with has got to be alarming to SCEA. We'll see if it's alarming enough to still drop the PS2 to $99 in the face of a looming PS3 price cut and a desire for profitability, though. :/

Oh, well.
I think that is a good metaphor that you mention here, about the older runner and the PS2 :) The PS2 hardware sales (and maybe software too?) are going down indeed, but i just thought that the PS2 hardware sales in the U.S. wasnt nearly killed just yet :) But the word "nearly" can be relative and after seeing the numbers that you posted in your previous post, i clearly see what you mean with nearly killed, and i agree with that, but when i first read "nearly killed" i was thinking a more lower PS2 hardware sales number than somewhere around 150k-200k :)

Ye, i think so too, that SCEA might be abit worried about the relatively big drop in the PS2 sales in 2008 compared to how it was in 2007. The PS2 is getting old though, so i am not quite sure how big expecations SCEA has about the PS2 sales at this point, but i guess that they want the sales to be higher at least.

That is also a good point, about the PS3 price cut as well. Can Sony afford to cut the price on both the PS2 and the PS3 within 2009? I dont think Sony can "afford" (or what i shall say) to have the PS3 at $399 US dollars throughout the entire 2009, but i guess it depends on how the PS3 will keep on selling in 2009. If the sales are good enough for Sony, maybe they will wait to drop the price on the PS3. I think it should be interesting to see how things turns out in 2009 :)

EDIT: I am sorry about the relatively long reply :\ I just wanted to reply to all that you said :)

jesusraz

JoshuaJSlone said:
Roger. Rhapsodia I wouldn't have known; the others I must've missed by only looking for names starting with Suikoden, and missing the ones that found themselves as "Gensou Suikoden" in the database.
Hmm, you have to wonder if perhaps Konami would be wise to port Suikoden I & II to DS at some point after seeing Tierkreis start so strong.

donny2112

test_account said:
But the word "nearly" can be relative and after seeing the numbers that you posted in your previous post, i clearly see what you mean with nearly killed, and i agree with that, but when i first read "nearly killed" i was thinking a more lower PS2 hardware sales number than somewhere around 150k-200k :)

If the October to November transition of +51% is a true indicator, the PS2 will be lucky to be sniffing 150K next year without something to spur sales (e.g. a price drop). It's already been under 150K for four of the last eight months in 2008.

test_account said:
Ye, i think so too, that SCEA might be abit worried about the relatively big drop in the PS2 sales in 2008 compared to how it was in 2007. The PS2 is getting old though, so i am not quite sure how big expecations SCEA has about the PS2 sales at this point, but i guess that they want the sales to be higher at least.

The problem here is that you're looking at YTD and saying "That's not bad." I'm looking at October to November after seeing the PS2's performance most of this year and saying "Oh, crap! That's bad!" If you exclude the $99 PS2 @ Target month and only look at Mar-Nov in 2006 vs. 2007 vs. 2008, the comparison is 2.74 million vs. 2.25 million vs. 1.48 million. :/

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
If the October to November transition of +51% is a true indicator, the PS2 will be lucky to be sniffing 150K next year without something to spur sales (e.g. a price drop). It's already been under 150K for four of the last eight months in 2008.
Ye, i agree, i also think that the PS2 will be lucky to be around 150k a month in 2009 (without any price drop as you mention). Personally i think we will see several of months in 2009 where the PS2 sells less than 100k (if there isnt any price drop) in the U.S.

I dont disagree with you about the PS2 sales are being killed, because that is whats happening, but is around 100k sales a month nearly killed for a system that is over 8 years old (8 years, 2 months and 2 days to be exact :))? Comparing to how the PS2 sales used to be, and concidering that the PS2 probably doesnt have too much time left on the market, i agree that the sales are nearly killed, but what about if we take into consideration that the PS2 has been over 8 years on the market and that the PS2 is selling around 100k-150k a month in these days? :)

When i first saw you said that the PS2 sales were nearly killed, then i only thought about that the PS2 was about 8 years old and that around 150k + - sales a month was fairly good sales for an old system like the PS2, at least in my opinion. I didnt think about that the PS2 sales has gone much down from the previous years like you pointed out, so if i look at it like this, then i agree that the PS2 sales are nearly killed in the U.S.

:)

EDIT: Fixed a typo, should be "saw", not "say" in the paragraph above here, sorry about that.

donny2112 said:
The problem here is that you're looking at YTD and saying "That's not bad." I'm looking at October to November after seeing the PS2's performance most of this year and saying "Oh, crap! That's bad!" If you exclude the $99 PS2 @ Target month and only look at Mar-Nov in 2006 vs. 2007 vs. 2008, the comparison is 2.74 million vs. 2.25 million vs. 1.48 million. :/
I was mostly thinking of the general poorer PS2 sales in 2008 compared to in 2007. I didnt check on any 2007 VS 2008 PS2 hardware sales monthly numbers when i wrote it (except for the numbers that you posted :)), but i thought since the PS2 sales is down with about 50% from 2007 to 2008, i guessed that the PS2 sold less in most months in 2008 compared to the months in 2007, and that shows that the PS2 sales is dropping, so SCEA might be abit worried about that. As you show with the 2006 vs. 2007. vs. 2008 numbers, the PS2 is definitly declining in sales, and SCEA might be worried about how the PS2 sales will be in the upcomming future, i agree :)

About the SCEA expecations, i was thinking of the more recent PS2 sales, on what they are expecting the PS2 to sell at this point. Are they expecting and/or satisified if the PS2 sells like around 150k a month in the U.S. at this point or are they expecting the sales to be higher? I am sure that they are hoping for higher sales at least, so they could make more money :)

That is what i ment :) I could have written my previous quote alittle better, sorry about that :\

donny2112

test_account said:
When i first say you said that the PS2 sales were nearly killed, then i only thought about that the PS2 was about 8 years old and that around 150k + - sales a month was fairly good sales for an old system like the PS2, at least in my opinion. I didnt think about that the PS2 sales has gone much down from the previous years like you pointed out, so if i look at it like this, then i agree that the PS2 sales are nearly killed in the U.S.

How does "being prematurely killed" sound? :)

Famitsu Dec 8-14

01./00. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai Games) - 114,610 / NEW
02./02. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 85,282 / 568,824
03./05. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe (Nintendo) - 64,568 / 555,361
04./01. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) - 60,131 / 516,008
05./00. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Saikyou Penguin Densetsu! (A Penguin's Troubles: Strongest Penguin Legend) (Konami) - 58,065 / NEW
06./06. [NDS] Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode (Nintendo) - 52,099 / 338,355
07./11. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 47,012 / 2,002,576
08./10. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 37,377 / 1,193,497
09./12. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 36,114 / 2,817,811
10./03. [PS2] Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World (Namco Bandai Games) - 31,652 / 96,169
11./04. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 12: PES 2009 (Konami) - 28,098 / 247,579
12./00. [WII] Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes (Capcom) - 26,634 / NEW
13./00. [WII] Play on Wii: Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (Nintendo) - 25,216 / NEW
14./22. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 23,871 / 1,877,575
15./19. [NDS] Tongari Boushi to Mahou no 365 Nichi (Little Magician's Magic Adventure) (Konami) - 23,380 / 132,558
16./16. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III (SCEI) - 23,164 / 153,681
17./20. [NDS] Tamagotchi Kira Kira Omisecchi (Namco Bandai Games) - 21,485 / 57,105
18./25. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 21,130 / 113,717
19./09. [NDS] Chrono Trigger (Square Enix) - 19,336 / 404,626
20./28. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 18,593 / 3,222,967
21./13. [PSP] Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin (Koei) - 16,477 / 81,028
22./00. [WII] Wii Music (Nintendo) - 15,602 / 231,948
23./15. [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam (Namco Bandai Games) - 14,982 / 330,577
24./00. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 14,170 / 2,539,834
25./14. [PSP] Kenka Banchou 3: Conquer the Entire Nation (Spike) - 14,169 / 84,238
26./00. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) - 13,144 / 176,589
27./00. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 12,919 / 4,791,640
28./23. [NDS] Mega Man Star Force 3: Black Ace/Red Joker (Capcom) - 12,165 / 131,239
29./17. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force 3 (Konami) - 9,924 / 89,932
30./07. [WII] 428: Fuusa Sareta Shibuya de (SEGA) - 9,726 / 43,732

*. [PS3] Mirror's Edge (Electronic Arts Victor) - 8,300 / NEW
*. [NDS] Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book: The Witch, the Girl, and the Five Heroes (Square Enix) - 8,000 / NEW
*. [PSP] Zwei!! (Falcom) - 7,700 / NEW
*. [360] Mirror's Edge (Electronic Arts Victor) - 4,300 / NEW
*. [NDS] Spectrobes: Beyond the Portals (Disney Interactive Studios) - 3,900 / NEW
*. [WII] Yattaman Wii: Bikkuridokkiri Machine de Mou Race da Koron (Takara Tomy) - 3,500 / NEW
*. [WII] Major Wii Perfect Closer (Takara Tomy) - 2,700 / NEW
*. [360] Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (Microsoft Game Studios) - 1,900 / NEW
*. [NDS] Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book: Special Package (Square Enix) - 1,700 / NEW
*. [NDS] Souhashiki Gadget Robo (Creative Core) - 1,700 / NEW
*. [WII] Samba de Amigo (SEGA) - 1,600 / NEW
*. [NDS] Elebits: The Adventures of Kai & Zero (Konami) - 1,500 / NEW
*. [NDS] WALL-E (THQ) - 700 / NEW
*. [NDS] History Adventure Quiz Sangokushi Tsuu DS (NCS) - 630 / NEW

Bar Chart Dec 8-14 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2008-12-08

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Nov 10-16, 2008
Nov 17-23, 2008
Nov 24-30, 2008
Dec 1-7, 2008

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
How does "being prematurely killed" sound? :)
I think that sounds like a good way to the describe the PS2 sales situation in the U.S. too :) And in afterthought, after that you showed me those PS2 hardware sales numbers compared to how the PS2 used to sell i think that "nearly killed" also is a good way to describe it as you first said when we compare how the PS2 used to sell and to how the PS2 is selling in these days :)

EDIT: I added some text and i see that there is a typo in my previous quote, it should be "When i first saw", not "When i first say", sorry about that, i have fixed it now :)

donny2112 said:
How much more does the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III PS3 bundle cost compare to a non-bundled PS3?

dolemite

test_account said:
I think that sounds like a good way to the describe the PS2 sales situation in the U.S. too :) And in afterthought, after that you showed me those PS2 hardware sales numbers compared to how the PS2 used to sell i think that "nearly killed" also is a good way to describe it as you first said :)

EDIT: I see that there is a typo in my previous quote, it should be "When i first saw", not "When i first say", sorry about that, i have fixed it now :)

How much more does the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III PS3 bundle cost compare to a non-bundled PS3?
Isn't the nonbundled version now discontinued?

test_account

XP-39C²
dolemite said:
Isn't the nonbundled version now discontinued?
Ye, i mean i've read something about that Sony was going to discontunie that bundle when 2009 starts (which is in 2-3 days), but i am not sure :\ I am wondering if this Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III PS3 bundle was a good deal compared to how much a non-bundle PS3 costs. If it is, and if this GT5P PS3 bundle gets discontunied, i wonder if that will affect the PS3 hardware sales in the near future.

EDIT: I now see that you said the nonbundled version, and not the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III PS3 demo as i first thought, i am sorry about that! :( I dont know if the nonbundle version is discontunied, sorry :\

40GB were discontinued and 80GB in 3 colors were offered with GT5P and a Dual Shock for 39980Y.

But it looks like that is discontinued as well now, playstation.jp just lists the 3 SKUs of the 80GB with no mention of GT5P, at the regular 39980Y. I guess you can still find those bundled GT5P but it doesn't look like Sony will continue to ship them.

Its really bad timing for Sony to put such bad deals for the console, and given February/March strong lineup, I'd certainly help everyone but Sony profits on hardware to put out better deals. Its going to be quite a waste if the hardware continues at 40000Y and those big games launch in the span of a month at 8000 or 9000 yen a piece. A waste and a slaughter sales wise.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
donny2112 said:

WTFx100000 , srsly Japanese gamers ? 153K ? just for 2 new cars for a freaking demo ? this is why PD won't release GT5 anytime soon , hell why would they do that when they can do that numbers with just stupid re release of Prologue with two cars or with FW update on the disc , PD will love to re-sell the demo again and again and again .

what is Folksoul numbers last year ? did it even hit 60K with the re release ( best ) version ? ultimate facepalm .

Link

The Autumn Wind
Totobeni said:
WTFx100000 , srsly Japanese gamers ? 153K ? just for 2 new cars for a freaking demo ? this is why PD won't release GT5 anytime soon , hell why would they do that when they can do that numbers with just stupid re release of Prologue with two cars or with FW update on the disc , PD will love to re-sell the demo again and again and again .

what is Folksoul numbers last year ? did it even hit 60K with the re release ( best ) version ? ultimate facepalm .
The GT numbers include bundle sales, I believe. The game is being given away for free with the 80GB model.

Elios83

Totobeni said:
WTFx100000 , srsly Japanese gamers ? 153K ? just for 2 new cars for a freaking demo ?

It's being bundled with every 80GB unit.

ts really bad timing for Sony to put such bad deals for the console, and given February/March strong lineup, I'd certainly help everyone but Sony profits on hardware to put out better deals. Its going to be quite a waste if the hardware continues at 40000Y and those big games launch in the span of a month at 8000 or 9000 yen a piece. A waste and a slaughter sales wise.

Indeed it would be stupid to waste the Resident Evil 5 + FFXIII demo month without a price cut. It will depend on their manufacturing costs, their strategy is probably already set and if rumors are true there could be a worldwide price cut planned for March as soon as they cut their costs again.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
40GB were discontinued and 80GB in 3 colors were offered with GT5P and a Dual Shock for 39980Y.

But it looks like that is discontinued as well now, playstation.jp just lists the 3 SKUs of the 80GB with no mention of GT5P, at the regular 39980Y. I guess you can still find those bundled GT5P but it doesn't look like Sony will continue to ship them.
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) By the way, was the 40GB PS3 sold for at a reduced price in the last weeks or so? I ask since the GT5P Spec 3 software numbers have bee lower than the PS3 hardware in some weeks (or maybe in all weeks). If the GT5P Spec 3 is free, i dont see any other reason why to buy another PS3 version if the price isnt lower.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Its really bad timing for Sony to put such bad deals for the console, and given February/March strong lineup, I'd certainly help everyone but Sony profits on hardware to put out better deals. Its going to be quite a waste if the hardware continues at 40000Y and those big games launch in the span of a month at 8000 or 9000 yen a piece. A waste and a slaughter sales wise.
Ye, i think it should be interesting to see if Sony drops the price on the PS3 in Frebruary/March :)

cvxfreak

test_account said:
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) By the way, was the 40GB PS3 sold for at a reduced price in the last weeks or so? I ask since the GT5P Spec 3 software numbers have bee lower than the PS3 hardware in some weeks (or maybe in all weeks). If the GT5P Spec 3 is free, i dont see any other reason why to buy another PS3 version if the price isnt lower.

Ye, i think it should be interesting to see if Sony drops the price on the PS3 in Frebruary/March :)

People are buying the LBP bundles. BELIEVE

test_account said:
I think those other PS3 sold should be PES 2009 bundles, LBP bundles or just those new 80GB without GT5P rather than old 40GB skus, at least in bigger proportion. GT5P Spec 3 is also available stand-alone so it doesn't necessarily mean that if GT5P sells 20k they were 20k PS3 bundles.

Btw, about that February/March strategy I forgot to mention there's a Ryu ga Gotoku 3 bundle planned already, its limited to 10000 units like many others before and its going to retail at 45980Y, so I wonder if that isn't spoiling that there's no pricedrop before February 26th.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I think those other PS3 sold should be PES 2009 bundles, LBP bundles or just those new 80GB without GT5P rather than old 40GB skus, at least in bigger proportion. GT5P Spec 3 is also available stand-alone so it doesn't necessarily mean that if GT5P sells 20k they were 20k PS3 bundles.
Ah yes, i forgot about the PES 2009 bundle as well, thanks for pointing that out! :) Ye, that is true, i just assumed that most of those GT5P software sales were from the bundles, and by looking at this we could get alittle picture on how that GT5P PS3 bundle sold. But as you say, if GT5P Spec 3 is sold as a stand-alone game as well, then it might not give a good picture on how much the GT5P PS3 bundle is selling, that is true :)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw, about that February/March strategy I forgot to mention there's a Ryu ga Gotoku 3 bundle planned already, its limited to 10000 units like many others before and its going to retail at 45980Y, so I wonder if that isn't spoiling that there's no pricedrop before February 26th.
Ye, it seems that the PS3 wont get a pricedrop before the February 26th then :\

donny2112

Just a quick note. We've discussed before how the 360 has never had a game finish the year in the Top 100 in Japan. The highest so far was Blue Dragon at #110 in 2006. So far in 2008, I see two games in the Top 100 for the 360 and another just outside.

64. Tales of Vesperia
82. Last Remnant
105. Infinite Undiscovery

Now, my data isn't complete, but I think we'll be seeing definitely one and probably two 360 games in the Top 100 for 2008. Congratulations, Microsoft! :)

Kenka

Ameblo's leak :

White Knight Chronicles (PS3) - 203K

Animal Crossing (Wii) - 168K

Kirby Superstar Ultra (DS) - 159K

Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP) - 157K

Wagamama Fasion: Gals Mode (DS) - 120K

Pokemon Platinum (DS) - 94K

Rhythm Heaven Gold (DS) - 93K

Phantasy Star 0 (DS) - 86K

Wii Fit (Wii) - 80K

Mario Kart (Wii) - 74K

Momotaro Railway 20th Anniversary Edition (DS) - 58K

Layton (DS) - 57K

Tongari Boushi no Mahou no 365 Nichi (DS) - 53K

Wii Music (Wii) - 53K

Karaoke Joysound Wii (Wii) - 52K

Wii Sports (Wii) - 52K

Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Wii) - 51K

Wii-make Pikmin (Wii) - 48K

Oideyo Doubutsu No Mori (DS) - 34K

Penguin's Problem (DS) - 28K

Biohazard (Wii) - 24K

RIZ-ZOAWD (DS) - 2.5K

DSi - 218K

DSL - 57K

Wii - 162K

PSP - 120K

PS3 - 48K

XBOX360 - 13K

Source: http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

Thanks to wwwmli for the translation

AND White Knight Chronicles comes out in the lead in CHRISTMAS SALES BATTLE.

1. PS3 White Knight Chronicles: 203,000
2. DS Animal Crossing City folk: 168,000 / 895,000
3. DS Kirby Super Star Ultra - 159,000 | 855,000
4. PSP Dissidia Final Fantasy - 157,000 | 666,000
5. DS Wagamama Fashion - 120,000 | 549,000

Phantasy star zero did 86,000 which is pretty poor compared to PSP first week (342,000) performance.

DS Pokemon Monster Platinum 94,000
DS Rhythm Tengoku Gold - 93,000
Wii Fit - 80,000
Mario Kart Wii - 74,000
DS Momotarou Dentetsu: 20th Anniversary - 58,000 | 122,000
DS Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel - 57,000 | 628,000
Wii Music - 53,000 | 324,000
DS Little Magician's Adventure - 53,000 | 233,000
WII JOYSOUND Karaoke - 52,000 | 115,000
Wii Sports - 52,000
DS Animal Crossing - 34,000

Pikmin - 48,000
Biohazard - 24,000

RIZ-ZOAWED - 2500 (cry)

Hardware -
DS+ 275,000
DSI - 218,000
DSLITE - 57,000
wii - 162,000
PSP -120,000
PS3 - 48,000
XBOX 360 - 13,000

Top Three PS3 Opening weeks

1. Metal Gear solid 4: 476,000
2. Devil May cry 4 212,000
3. White Night Chronicles: 203,000

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Looks like Dissidia is gonna breeze past CC, no?

Also go Girls Mode, I have no idea why but I feel the need to root for that title

Phantasy Star 0 (DS) - 86K
Bomba :/
I expected a bit more, not PSP, but more. Guess the majority of the local multiplayer crowd don't own a DS.

Nice start for WKC.

Also Tales of Hearts is nowhere to be found...bomba. :( Maybe that price tag was a bit too steep, or maybe people are just sick of Tales.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Magicpaint said:
Bomba :/
I expected a bit more, not PSP, but more.

Nice start for WKC.

90K Fist week is bomba now ? You guys :lol
With competition like that on DS and many new releases what did u expect from a PSO game on DS ? When even Tales games don`t sell much more on DS in their first week. Just because PSuU sold well on PSP - thx to the MH-like Marketing/Gameplay doesn`t mean that it is a really big IP.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Magicpaint said:
Well maybe not a complete and utter failure like AWAY DS or BD+ or something, but I find those numbers to be hugely disappointing.

Disappointing and bomba are two different things. we`ll see what kind of legs it will have on the DS...

cvxfreak

That's a pretty good performance by Biohazard. Should outsell Zero, which makes sense considering how much less REmake sold than Zero back on the GC.

Top Bottom