• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/17 - 12/23 2007

BishopLamont said:
Those are really dismal European numbers. Safe to say that the Wii will outsell all previous Nintendo consoles by next year in Europe.
Heh. The real question is how long it will take Wii to outsell NES/SNES/N64/GCN combined in "Other". It'll take less than 29 million.
typhonsentra said:
People who don't think Disgaea will have an impact on PS3 sales aren't thinking clearly: It'll likely bring in an audience that wasn't originally planning to buy a PS3.
I don't know; it's not a very big series. I imagine its effect on PS3 will be less than Fire Emblem's effect on Wii.
BishopLamont said:
Ey supply constrained still? You'd figure Nintendo would've figured out the demand by now.
Knowing demand doesn't magically create enough supply, though.

test_account said:
According to 2 sources at Wikipedia, Master System sold about 13 million units worldwide. NES was the dominant console in most parts of Europe back in those days, even with "only" 8.5 million sold. Gaming back then wasnt as huge as it is now. Computer gaming might have been more of a competitor back then ye. You had C64, Amiga, Atari ST, Spectrum ZX and so on.

SMS sold almost nothing in the US though, and I don't think it did well in Japan either, so most of that 13 million would be in Europe (and Brazil)... even so yeah, it is likely that Nintendo's 8.5 million was more. But yes, it's pretty clear that at the time the dominant gaming platforms in Europe were computers.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Heh. The real question is how long it will take Wii to outsell NES/SNES/N64/GCN combined in "Other". It'll take less than 29 million.

If its success continues long-term that's entirely possible... heh, that'd be kind of amazing... :)

Almost no way will it do that in the US or Japan, though, of course. 87 million US or 45 million Japan? That'd be hard. :D

test_account

XP-39C²
A Black Falcon said:
SMS sold almost nothing in the US though, and I don't think it did well in Japan either, so most of that 13 million would be in Europe (and Brazil)... even so yeah, it is likely that Nintendo's 8.5 million was more. But yes, it's pretty clear that at the time the dominant gaming platforms in Europe were computers.

I dont know how it did in Japan, but it was fairly popular in Europe and Brazil ye. I've always been under the impression that NES was most popular basicly everywhere in Europe except in the UK, but i dont have any hard data to back it up though so i cant say 100% sure (but i'm 99% sure hehe ;)).

I think it was most popular in Brazil, there they got alot of Mega Drive game ports to SMS that wasnt released anywhere else, and this was around early/mid 90's, when the system was pretty much abandoned elsewhere (Mega Drive/Genesis took over etc.). If i'm not mistaken, Sega Master System is still sold in Brazil. Tec Toy is still selling the Master System on their website, altho it looks like one of those cheap console clones, but i think you can use original Master System games on it too. Tec Toy was (or maybe still is) the official Sega distributior in Brazil if i'm not mistaken.

True, i dont think it was that popular in USA either. Sonic 1 is one of the most expencive and rare game over there, which is alittle wierd in my opinion (altho it was released fairly late in SMS's life, 1991). The USA version is also identical to the EU version, just that the US version got a different UPC sticker on the box. In Europe Sonic 1 is very common :)

felipeko

test_account said:
I dont know how it did in Japan, but it was fairly popular in Europe and Brazil ye. I've always been under the impression that NES was most popular basicly everywhere in Europe except in the UK, but i dont have any hard data to back it up though so i cant say 100% sure (but i'm 99% sure hehe ;)).

I think it was most popular in Brazil, there they got alot of Mega Drive game ports to SMS that wasnt released anywhere else, and this was around early/mid 90's, when the system was pretty much abandoned elsewhere (Mega Drive/Genesis took over etc.). If i'm not mistaken, Sega Master System is still sold in Brazil. Tec Toy is still selling the Master System on their website, altho it looks like one of those cheap console clones, but i think you can use original Master System games on it too. Tec Toy was (or maybe still is) the official Sega distributior in Brazil if i'm not mistaken.

True, i dont think it was that popular in USA either. Sonic 1 is one of the most expencive and rare game over there, which is alittle wierd in my opinion (altho it was released fairly late in SMS's life, 1991). The USA version is also identical to the EU version, just that the US version got a different UPC sticker on the box. In Europe Sonic 1 is very common :)
We even had our own games on Master/MegaDrive era... I didn't even hear about NES that time.. But SNES was popular (and probably king) around here...

And you're right, TecToy still sells, it doesn't accept original games (it have like 120 games on the memory).. But it's only kid things, no one really care about it now..

jarrod

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
SMS sold almost nothing in the US though, and I don't think it did well in Japan either, so most of that 13 million would be in Europe (and Brazil)

SEGA sold 13m Mark III/Master Systems... that figure doesn't included Tec Toy. So it'd be split between SEGA's regions (JP, NA, EU) only.

Not sure if it included Mattel's MS release either actually, for NA it might just be the SMS2 (which was the only model SEGA released themselves here iirc).

Frillen

donny2112 said:
Gpara should be tonight, but, still, we already have that week's thread up.

So it's like last year? We get Software sales Monday US time. Hardware Thuesday US time. Then Software again on Wednesday US time and Hardware Thursday?

JoshuaJSlone said:

Knowing demand doesn't magically create enough supply, though.

That should happen by end of 2009 me thinks, and yeah I can't say I'm too surprised by WiiFit's supply problems now, considering there's supposedly "software shortages" in the UK (specifically M&S), that is very very slack on Nintendo's part. Hardware shortages is understandable, but software? There's absolutely no excuse.

test_account

XP-39C²
felipeko said:
We even had our own games on Master/MegaDrive era... I didn't even hear about NES that time.. But SNES was popular (and probably king) around here...

And you're right, TecToy still sells, it doesn't accept original games (it have like 120 games on the memory).. But it's only kid things, no one really care about it now..

Ye, didnt UK (and maybe Australia too) get some SMS/MD games that were exclusivily released there? I'm not so into SMS/MD, but i think atleast some double packs (2 games in 1) were only released in UK and maybe Australia too :)

Ok, so its more like one of those "console on a chip" thingie. Would be cool if it played original games too, but i guess it isnt too hard to find a consoles down there that can play the original games anyway :)

Top Bottom