• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/24 - 12/30 2007

People buy WiiFit...I cant believe it.
Seriously, who the hell wants to play on this crap?

I will never get those Wii owners buying every non game crap thats coming out. WAKE UP!!!

Minsc

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
Famitsu numbers are as valid or more valid than Media-Create numbers... and both are substantially more representative of Japan than NPD numbers are in the US.

How can this possibly be true?

We've had a statement from MS and others that NPD's estimates are so close to what their internal numbers are, along with assertions from sonycowboy to the accuracy of NPD, I just cannot fathom Media Create and Famitsu being more accurate than NPD when they are more than 15% inaccurate of each other from time to time.

Are you saying NPD's ~20% off from US sales, or am I just interpreting your statement wrong?

Thanks for the clarification.

Jonnyram

donny2112 said:
FFIV, in its third week, has now passed FFIII's first week sales.
I realise some of you guys argue about this every week, though I don't follow the argument that much. One thing to consider though... FFIII didn't come out four weeks after a DQ remake, DQ is the king of the two series in Japan, so that will definitely have hit FFIV's sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bo130 said:
Wow, amazing NSMB. Does anyone have a complete list of games that has passed 5M in Japan? Super Mario Bros.? Super Mario Bros. 3?

Starting with the Super Famicom / GB:
Pokemon RB(G)
Pokemon GS
Pokemon RuSa
Pokemon DP
NSMB

Famicom numbers are not reliably tracked and are not useful for most comparisons, but SMB1 also passed 5m. SMB3 did not.

Minsc said:
How can this possibly be true?

We've had a statement from MS and others that NPD's estimates are so close to what their internal numbers are, along with assertions from sonycowboy to the accuracy of NPD, I just cannot fathom Media Create and Famitsu being more accurate than NPD when they are more than 15% inaccurate of each other from time to time.

Are you saying NPD's ~20% off from US sales, or am I just interpreting your statement wrong?

Thanks for the clarification.

Media-Create and Famitsu both track substantially more than NPD does. NPD's extrapolation methods and sampling panels for non-tracked retailers may prove to be brilliant, but Media-Create and Famitsu are both closer to "full tracking". In addition, I also refer to the fact that we get substantially more MC and Famitsu data than we do NPD data, so from our POV the data we have is more holistic on the Japanese side.

NPD is as accurate as any other sales tracker is or should be (IE if you believe Nielsen numbers, box office tallies, and any other non-PR sales tracking), but both Media Create and Famitsu are more accurate.

I would never ever mention this because I wouldn't want people to go into an NPD thread and say "BUBU EXTRAPOLATION!!!", but DefectiveReject seems to have an anti-Famitsu vendetta and there is no justification for this. NPD, Famitsu, and MC should all be treated as close enough to be true for the purposes of our discussion.

fresquito

Sato Koiji said:

I will never get those Wii owners buying every non game crap thats coming out. WAKE UP!!!
Delicious.

ksamedi

Sato Koiji said:

Think of it this way, if you have a Wife that lives in the same home with you (or maybe your mom) than you would buy something like that for her because she would be interested in playing/using it. Another factor could be that it is actually an interesting product and has a lot of potential for lots of stuff like airobics games or taibo.

Vinnk

DefectiveReject said:
Smash Bros probably won't need to be pushed though.
Everyone wants it, and pre-orders are sold out...... that says something!

Yeah. The casuals might be in the dark, but the people hanging around the game shops have been going to Smash Bros. Dojo everyday for months. They don't need any convincing to pick this game up.

Grecco

Sato Koiji said:

Hay Que Delicioso.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
I realise some of you guys argue about this every week, though I don't follow the argument that much. One thing to consider though... FFIII didn't come out four weeks after a DQ remake, DQ is the king of the two series in Japan, so that will definitely have hit FFIV's sales.

Nor did it come out two years after a GBA version, or in a year filled to the brim with FF releases and re-releases. Thinking back, it was FFIII that started the string of constant FF releases. It was quickly followed up by FFV and FFVI on GBA, and then those PSP ports and FFXII RW. FFIV is the 4th major FF game to be put on the DS in 2007.

Sato Koiji said:

yoda.gif

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sato Koiji said:

Everytime I purchase a labeled "non-game" for the Wii, I will dedicate my purchase to you.

acuul

Sato Koiji said:

:lol

...wait, are you serious?

Minsc

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
Media-Create and Famitsu both track substantially more than NPD does. NPD's extrapolation methods and sampling panels for non-tracked retailers may prove to be brilliant, but Media-Create and Famitsu are both closer to "full tracking". In addition, I also refer to the fact that we get substantially more MC and Famitsu data than we do NPD data, so from our POV the data we have is more holistic on the Japanese side.

NPD is as accurate as any other sales tracker is or should be (IE if you believe Nielsen numbers, box office tallies, and any other non-PR sales tracking), but both Media Create and Famitsu are more accurate.

I would never ever mention this because I wouldn't want people to go into an NPD thread and say "BUBU EXTRAPOLATION!!!", but DefectiveReject seems to have an anti-Famitsu vendetta and there is no justification for this. NPD, Famitsu, and MC should all be treated as close enough to be true for the purposes of our discussion.

Thanks for the clarification, I see what you mean now.

I'm still reluctant to believe that Media-Create & Famitsu track more than NPD, but that's just because I don't know what other fields they track. They certainly give more data to us, and in that sense I agree. But NPD does track all game related data now I thought, they just don't release it all, in addition to also tracking other media such as music and movies.

That said, the new Famitsu data is very nice. Lots of sales all around!

Sato Koiji said:

lol nice.

just to balance things out when this comes out in the uk i will buy it day 1 and urge all my friends to do follow suit :p

botticus

Minsc said:
Thanks for the clarification, I see what you mean now.

I'm still reluctant to believe that Media-Create & Famitsu track more than NPD, but that's just because I don't know what other fields they track. They certainly give more data to us, and in that sense I agree. But NPD does track all game related data now I thought, in addition to also tracking other media such as music and movies.
The percentage of the gaming market that NPD has actual numbers for is smaller than Media Create and Famitsu.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Minsc said:
I'm still reluctant to believe that Media-Create & Famitsu track more than NPD, but that's just because I don't know what other fields they track. They certainly give more data to us, and in that sense I agree. But NPD does track all game related data now I thought, in addition to also tracking other media such as music and movies.

NPD is a huge tracker, actually. $125 million in revenue in 2005, and only a tiny fraction of that was Funworld/Games. If you count EVERYTHING that's being tracked, NPD eclipses Enterbrain / MC. No doubt about it. But as a % tracked of national market versus % extrapolated, Enterbrain/MC beat NPD Funworld.

felipeko said:
From this old thread...
3 FC Super Mario Brothers + Disk System ver. Nintendo 6.81

Those numbers are the best available but tracking is hardly comparable. First, because tracking systems were weak. Second, because data was frequently tracked in with "toys" rather than separately as video games. Third, because there was no such thing as a reliable release date or shipment batches; distributors did an awful job and frequently there was multi-month lag time between release and availability.

However, for a simple question like "how many games sold at least 5m", the numbers are more than adequate.

cvxfreak said:
Nor did it come out two years after a GBA version, or in a year filled to the brim with FF releases and re-releases. Thinking back, it was FFIII that started the string of constant FF releases. It was quickly followed up by FFV and FFVI on GBA, and then those PSP ports and FFXII RW. FFIV is the 4th major FF game to be put on the DS in 2007.

This is what i've been arguing for a few weeks now.

The portable market is literally flooded with FF games now. Sales of previous titles are assuredly going to eat into FFIV's sales.

Frillen said:
How much did the Gamecube and the PS2 sell during this week (first week of January) in their second years?
PS2: 79.034
[01.01. - 07.01.01 / Famitsu]
GCN: 92.594
[30.12. - 05.01.03 / Media Create]

D.Lo

jarrod said:
PSP's problem is that even big bidget games tend to cost near what they would to make on PS2, and sell about half what they would on PS2. Obviously there's some exceptions, but really, unless a developer has some interest in specifically pushing PSP as a platform, there's almost no incentive to do a ground up PSP game.

I think people are overestimating the slim's 2nd wind here...
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering - if the ease of piracy is what's selling PSPs now (and it is a possible rational explanation for excellent hardware sales and pathetic software sales, a phenomenon never seen before), then what happens when the flow of games stops altogether? Surely non-first party Japanese focused games will have to stop coming to PSP, as its software sales are abominable. When this happens even pirates will have nothing new to play.

On the other hand, if it's 'multimedia' (movie piracy basically) selling it then there will never be an end to that kind of content, so hardware could keep going.

Stumpokapow said:
That's not necessarily true. I genuinely believe that certain titles (notably the big three; the two MHP games and FF7:CC) are honestly best positioned on the PSP and really would not have sold more copies anywhere else.
We can never know how CC would have sold elsewhere, but I think it would have done a lot better on PS2. Not cracking a million for a high quality spin-off of the most loved (and highest selling?) FF ever?

Monster Hunter still blows me away though. Downgraded ports without online, the only feature that made the PS2 games worth it? Selling 1.5 million on a seriously struggling platform that only has four games that have even sold over 500k? Capcom got so ridiculously lucky with MHP, their sales just don't make sense to me.

gimz

Sato Koiji said:

:lol :lol

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu 12/31 - 1/6

DSL 312000
Wii 243000
PSP 189000
PS3 70000
PS2 35000
360 13000

1. Mario Party DS 208000(1441000)
2. Wii Sports 127000(2592000)
3. Wii Play 103000(2093000)
4. Wii Fit 94000(912000)
5. Final Fantasy IV 80000(527000)
6. Mario & Sonic 74000(438000)
7. Dragon Quest IV 70000(1123000)
8. Mario Kart DS 68000(2764000)
9. Mario Party 8 68000(1122000)
10. Super Mario Galaxy 62000(810000)

11. Layton 2 59000(674000)
12. Rune Factory 2 56000 (NEW)
13. Star Ocean First Departure 46000(161000)
14. Pokemon MD2 46000(1302000)
15. SRT OG Gaiden 43000(242000)
16. New Super Marios Bros 43000(5038000)
17. Powerful Pro-kun Pocket 10 42000(200000)
18. Monster Hunter Portable 2 42000(1532000)
19. Winning Eleven PS2 37000(582000)
20. ....
21. Animal Crossing 29000(4542000)
22. Layton 1 26000(792000)
23. ....
24. Taiko Drum Master DS 24000(303000)
25. More Brain Training 24000(4807000)
26. Flash Focus Vision Training 23000(752000)
27. IE Institute's Kanji Training 2 23000(134000)
28. Ryu ga Gotoku 2 (The Best!) 23000(88000)
29. Resident Evil UC 21000(234000)
30. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue 21000(179000)
Wow at Nintendomination, another wow at Mario Kart DS legs, this game's legs as un-fucking-believable.

FF IV is going to sell more than 700k which is really great for a remake. Naysayers am cry.

stilgar

Sato Koiji said:
I would rather buy fruit than a Wii.

Sorry, but this setence is sooo nerdy that I couldn't prevent from quoting :lol

So, lays = ok, but only with my pepsi
pizzas = mhmmm (especially when playing wow)
fruit = x_x WTF mum u can't oblige me !

gimz

stilgar said:
i guess pizza is really comment food for MMORPG player?
cuz my ex housemate used to eat pizza almost every day when he plays FFXI

stilgar said:

So, lays = ok, but only with my pepsi
fruit = x_x WTF mum u can't oblige me !

Insert what you want instead of fruit.

Rolf NB

Frillen said:
The first week of Januray is historically always big. The second however, takes a big hit.
Well, the first of the two links you just quoted says otherwise.
JoshuaJSlone's Famitsu data:
Code:
               PS2        GCN
2001-12-31   281,818    34,625
2002-01-07   114,167    38,938

2002-12-30   173,296    66,118
2003-01-06    89,428    13,526
... or is that "week starting on <date>"? Has to be, right?

botticus

bcn-ron said:
Well, the first of the two links you just quoted says otherwise.
JoshuaJSlone's Famitsu data:
Code:
               PS2        GCN
2001-12-31   281,818    34,625
2002-01-07   114,167    38,938

2002-12-30   173,296    66,118
2003-01-06    89,428    13,526
... or is that "week ending <date>"? Has to be, right?
Those are the beginning dates of the week. 12/31/01 marked the beginning of the first week in January 02, just as 12/31/07 marks the beginning of the first week of January 08.

Rolf NB

botticus said:
Those are the beginning dates of the week. 12/31/01 marked the beginning of the first week in January 02, just as 12/31/07 marks the beginning of the first week of January 08.
Thanks, yeah, now it makes sense. I don't even know why anymore but I expected to see the big drop this week.
Sanity restored, will wait another week.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Amazing sales for Layton 2 and SMG.
Also its amazing to see how slowly and consistently Taiko Drum DS sells and grows its LTD sales.

Weird, previous years show the last week of December being the biggest up until the DS got popular it seems the first week of January is now the biggest.

Soule

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu 12/31 - 1/6

12. Rune Factory 2&#12288;56000 (NEW)

Go Rune Factory! Go like there is no tomorrow! I'll have a better idea of how to feel about those sales next week as it was only on sale for 3 days of that week, I get the feeling sales for these kind of niche/hardcore games are pretty front loaded :(

I'm hoping for it to break 120k, 150-200k and I'll be ecstatic :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BishopLamont said:
Weird, previous years show the last week of December being the biggest up until the DS got popular it seems the first week of January is now the biggest.

Again, Otoshidama always causes a huge bump. Where these sales are most felt is going to depend on the alignment of the weeks. In this case, the entire Otoshidama spending period is within one retail week (first week of January 2008).

Stumpokapow said:
Again, Otoshidama always causes a huge bump. Where these sales are most felt is going to depend on the alignment of the weeks. In this case, the entire Otoshidama spending period is within one retail week (first week of January 2008).
Yeah but there's years where the week starts on the 1st and end on the 6th and sales are still down compared to the last week of December. Or am I missing something where Otoshidama can be given earlier?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BishopLamont said:
Yeah but there's years where the week starts on the 1st and end on the 6th and sales are still down compared to the last week of December. Or am I missing something where Otoshidama can be given earlier?

I think the only time sales are down W1Jan from W4Dec is generally when W4Dec is the peak instead of W3Dec, which is pretty rare although it has happened to certain consoles at certain points.

Those Famitsu PS3 numbers look fantastic. But they aren't?
Why are they buying the system but not any games? Is Blu-ray big in Japan?
*Confused*

Top Bottom