• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/26-01/01 It's Real Bitches

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
cvxfreak said:
27 (PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence

Wait, that don't make sense. Didn't the notes say that this sold over 100k this week?

E-Nature said:
Nintendo is here to stay!

Well they did survive the massive 3rd party defection, the FF7s and GTAs and yet people still continue or these days secretly hope they would pull a sega :lol

AniHawk

norinrad21 said:
Well they did survive the massive 3rd party defection, the FF7s and GTAs and yet people still continue or these days secretly hope they would pull a sega :lol

Well I doubt Revolution will enjoy this success. They can't simply port DS games to the Revolution and have the same effect. And they're still having a lot of trouble maintaining dominance in the west.

However their future is suddenly much brighter than it was about a year or two ago. I just hope it means more neato games from EAD like Mario Kart DS, Pikmin 2, and (hopefully) TP.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I have to disagree AniHawk for the first time since I've known your posts. After the insane success with DS in Japan, you just cannot predict this industry anymore - what is big and what is not. Sure Nintendo have a LOT of troubles in West (specifically PAL regions, and for good reason) but they are playing almost an entirely different ball game now.

Granted, DS isn't achieving the same mind-numbing success in US or PAL regions, but it's neck-and-neck with PSP which is something.

meppi

That's crazy stuff! I like it.

Not bad for a system which only about 10% of gamers would initially like. :D

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
8 games in the top 10
15 games in the top 30

I bet DS sales in Japan during 2006 will be more than 5 million units :D

[Nintex]

I wonder what Hardware sales will be.
If the DS is sold out througout Japan I can see numbers around or even above 700k.

Well I doubt Revolution will enjoy this success. They can't simply port DS games to the Revolution and have the same effect. And they're still having a lot of trouble maintaining dominance in the west.

alright sir, i want you to quote me on this come 2007/8.

The Revolution will be #1 with Sony and MS battling for second place. This is not a prediction and yes as much as you hate to believe it sony will be fighting for their life in Japan and as for the US/EUR you are also in for a rude awakening.

come back in 2007/8

AniHawk

speedpop said:
I have to disagree AniHawk for the first time since I've known your posts. After the insane success with DS in Japan, you just cannot predict this industry anymore - what is big and what is not. Sure Nintendo have a LOT of troubles in West (specifically PAL regions, and for good reason) but they are playing almost an entirely different ball game now.

Granted, DS isn't achieving the same mind-numbing success in US or PAL regions, but it's neck-and-neck with PSP which is something.

Or it could be argued the PSP is neck-and-neck with the DS. Nintendo is the market leader after all.

I'm just saying people expecting Revolution to do DS like numbers will be in for a surprise. It'll probably do well in Japan, especially with new, original games (Brain Training Revolution and Wario Ware Revolution wont cut it), but I think part of the DS's draw is that it's a portable.

However, the virtual console will be very attractive to a lot of people. I'm banking on that to be the big selling point for people. At least, moreso than the controller.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
[Nintex] said:
I wonder what Hardware sales will be.
If the DS is sold out througout Japan I can see numbers around or even above 700k.
The difference between the shipped number (5.44 million) and the sell-through number (5.26 million) was only 180K so the weekly sales should give us a pretty good idea of how much Nintendo is shipping each week.

mj1108

iwataheaven1bm.jpg

"You will say WOW"

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
norinrad21 said:
...and yet people still continue or these days secretly hope they would pull a sega :lol
No...Most people wanting Nintendo to go 3rd party are pretty damn vocal about it.

What's amazing about this to me is that it's such a sharp turn of events. Sure they've been talking about it for a while, but it's really only the last six months that have reversed Nintendo's fortunes. Things *can* change quickly in this industry then.

I hope this trend continues - does anyone suspect this change in fortune is due to miyamoto stepping back into the development room? That's just the oldskool fan in me talking, but hey, wishful thinking and all that :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Jive Turkey said:
No...Most people wanting Nintendo to go 3rd party are pretty damn vocal about it.
Aye, especially in Nintendo dominated/disappointment threads such as these.

mj1108

the androgyne said:
What's amazing about this to me is that it's such a sharp turn of events. Sure they've been talking about it for a while, but it's really only the last six months that have reversed Nintendo's fortunes. Things *can* change quickly in this industry then.

I hope this trend continues - does anyone suspect this change in fortune is due to miyamoto stepping back into the development room? That's just the oldskool fan in me talking, but hey, wishful thinking and all that :)

It has not been 6 months. It started last April with Nintendogs. We're now into the 9th month of Easter.

Fuzzy said:
This thread just won't be the same without quetz67. :(

We need pixelbox quotes.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Iwata really is the saviour of Nintendo.

Old fool Yamauchi would have left them absolutely FUXXORED!

I expect the Revolution to have similar OMGWTF success in Japan, with good following in Euroland and a "meeeeh, so so" in the US.

But overall - i fully expect Nintendo to be back firmly in second place by the end of the next gen. AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE FRANK!... or Bank.. or whatever...

DCharlie said:
But overall - i fully expect Nintendo to be back firmly in second place by the end of the next gen. AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE FRANK!... or Bank.. or whatever...

It would be like the last time Damian Hill won the F1 championship, i remember shumi trailing him while Hill enjoyed himself :lol

Yamaha98

Man, I am stuck in an delima. Tempted to buy an DS, possibly one of the bundles w/ first pary title, but at the same time I like to wait a bit incase if there is really an revision on the way from Nintendo. I know it is only a matter of time before we see an 'SP' model or so, as we have w/ other Nintendo handhelds.

What is a GAF'er to do?

ps- are the mariokart bundles no longer avail?

Actually I think this new philosophy that Nintendo is pushing is very much in line with what Yamauchi wants.

I get the feeling he never really liked the GameCube that much (he even threatened to can it at one point, didn't he?) and he insisted that Iwata not to rely on "past legacies".

Revolution's success will be predicated on whether or not non-gamers can actually use the controller, which I imagine Nintendo has tested to death by this point.

Secondly, it will be content. Not Mario, not Zelda ... they will need drastically different content from the norm, just like the DS has gotten.

It has not been 6 months. It started last April with Nintendogs. We're now into the 9th month of Easter.

Ok, got me. But my point stands. I guess i was trying to say, it really feels like a quick 'attack' by nintendo, especially this christmas which was swamped with varying genre, quality games that have sold through the roof.

I'm not of the belief that a single, Mario 64 equivalent game will propell revolution into the same league - cause that's not what's happened here. A single game isn't responsible for this.

I think they've got a chance of delivering that though, what with estimated mario, metroid, smash bros + zelda TP. If they pull that off that's a hell of a start. It's keeping the flow coming as fast as they can in the portable arena that they've struggled with the past 2 gens.

Yamaha98 said:
Man, I am stuck in an delima. Tempted to buy an DS, possibly one of the bundles w/ first pary title, but at the same time I like to wait a bit incase if there is really an revision on the way from Nintendo. I know it is only a matter of time before we see an 'SP' model or so, as we have w/ other Nintendo handhelds.

What is a GAF'er to do?

ps- are the mariokart bundles no longer avail?
I'm in the same boat as well.

Fuzzy said:
This thread just won't be the same without quetz67. :(

"Non-sony fans" will turn up again sometime, I'm sure :).

These DS circle jerks must annoy the hell out of people. I'm a Nintendo die-hard and I'm starting to be annoyed by the DS's success in Japan, if only because I think it should be doing better in NA and EU. I know it's such a great gaming system and I wish others in the western world would see that so Ninty can get some better western support. Metroid Prime Hunters can't come soon enough.

mj1108

the androgyne said:
Ok, got me. But my point stands. I guess i was trying to say, it really feels like a quick 'attack' by nintendo, especially this christmas which was swamped with varying genre, quality games that have sold through the roof.

Some may disagree with me on this, but I think Sony entering the handheld market has lit a fire under Nintendo. And if that is indeed the case, thank you Sony.

the androgyne said:
I'm not of the belief that a single, Mario 64 equivalent game will propell revolution into the same league - cause that's not what's happened here. A single game isn't responsible for this.

I think they've got a chance of delivering that though, what with estimated mario, metroid, smash bros + zelda TP. If they pull that off that's a hell of a start. It's keeping the flow coming as fast as they can in the portable arena that they've struggled with the past 2 gens.

For the Rev...I won't even begin to guess how well it will or will not do. What we've seen with the DS is that you just can't predict anything anymore.

People who still think Mario/Zelda/Metroid or even Smash Bros. will carry the Revolution are still in "GameCube 2" mode ... truth is for Revolution to sell even 30 million, they need some new franchises and completely new types of play, like Brain Training and Nintendogs have done for the DS.

Taker666

clearacell said:
"Non-sony fans" will turn up again sometime, I'm sure :).

These DS circle jerks must annoy the hell out of people. I'm a Nintendo die-hard and I'm starting to be annoyed by the DS's success in Japan, if only because I think it should be doing better in NA and EU. I know it's such a great gaming system and I wish others in the western world would see that so Ninty can get some better western support. Metroid Prime Hunters can't come soon enough.

Well 3.5 million seems pretty damn good for Nintendo in the EU considering how badly they usually do( and how little shelf space they have in retailers).

In regards to the US, consumers seem to be acting rather differently.

Everywhere else GBA sales have switched to the DS, while in the US GBA still dominates both PSP and DS. Perhaps the US won't switch from GBA- DS until it hits the magic $99 price point.

Top Bottom