• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 16 - 22 Oct

ethelred

Bebpo said:
Well my only prediction RE: FFIII DS was that it won't outsell FFXII, which some of your n-crew claimed would happen since DS is hotter than PS2 and FFIII was the rebirth of FF sales after declining FFXII sales because "people wanted the old style back". :lol

Yeah, I recall Lapsed and, I believe, Nighttrain doing that. My response was that the hypothetical they were musing on was so far out of the realm of possibility that it wasn't worth discussing.

However, your near-incredulous query of whether people still think FFIII will top a million is still pretty far off base, too.

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:
However, your near-incredulous query of whether people still think FFIII will top a million is still pretty far off base, too.

Hey, I was just asking. With the sinking rate it has and 150k to go, at 15k a week that's still 10 weeks or more. How long did FFXII keep selling past release?

Bebpo said:
Well my only prediction RE: FFIII DS was that it won't outsell FFXII, which some of your n-crew claimed would happen since DS is hotter than PS2 and FFIII was the rebirth of FF sales after declining FFXII sales because "people wanted the old style back". :lol

:lol I know, I just couldn't resist!

Bebpo said:
Hey, I was just asking. With the sinking rate it has and 150k to go, at 15k a week that's still 10 weeks or more. How long did FFXII keep selling past release?

true, it is still 10 weeks at 15 k a week, but considering what other major DS releases have done, that's not totally out of the question.

Plus, those 10 weeks DO include the holidays, which will give the game a boost, even if it's not to the 50k range.

Bebpo said:
According to ioi's emporium of adjusted figures, FFXII sold above 10k/week for 8 weeks, up to 13th May. So it did about 2.3 million till then. It's sold less than 50k since.

FFIII looks like it has better legs. It might chug past 1 million by the end of the year, but it has to sell about 250k more to do that.

Lapsed

Banned
Bebpo said:

I never predicted this. I only predicted it would sell a million. I said it was a possibility.

As for the FF3's high sales blowing past Square's healthiest estimates, I think that is a clear indication of such 'old school' demand. No wonder Square is considering making similar remakes.

ethelred said:
Yeah, I recall Lapsed and, I believe, Nighttrain doing that. My response was that the hypothetical they were musing on was so far out of the realm of possibility that it wasn't worth discussing.

It was in the realm of possibility. It is Final Fantasy. It is on the DS. It is in Japan.

What we have in Japan is the case of a market absorbing everything. What no one predicted was mass shortages and then cartridge shortages. We have no idea how many sales were lost.

ethelred

Mr. Pointy said:
FFIII looks like it has better legs. It might chug past 1 million by the end of the year, but it has to sell about 250k more to do that.

More like 150k. With New Year around the corner, quite doable.

Lapsed said:
I never predicted this. I only predicted it would sell a million. I said it was a possibility.

As for the FF3's high sales blowing past Square's healthiest estimates, I think that is a clear indication of such 'old school' demand. No wonder Square is considering making similar remakes.

It was in the realm of possibility. It is Final Fantasy. It is on the DS. It is in Japan.

What we have in Japan is the case of a market absorbing everything. What no one predicted was mass shortages and then cartridge shortages. We have no idea how many sales were lost.

Oh, I understand. Don't worry about it, I just like to give you a hard time. I actually enjoy your posts -- Bebpo's, too, and I hassle him almost as much as you. :)

duckroll

So do we know how much Big Brain Academy likely sold? Since it's #30, Gunpey DS would have sold less since it didn't even chart. I need more fuel to mock Mizuguchi's failure! :lol

donny2112

verplant said:
... missing some data, for example R/B/G 2000 to 2006... etc.

Agreed, but it should easily be less than 500K more for any of those totals. It'd be nice if we had a Top 500 for Famitsu for all those years, too. :(

DSL 104,487
PS2 24,727
PSP 21,603
GBASP 2,299
Xbox360 1,743
GBM 1,714
GC 653
DS 273
GBA 37
Xbox 3

This ain't last week's numbers?

Jokeropia

It went below 100k the week before FFIII, so it wouldn't really be a big deal. We'd just lament the shortages a bit more I'd expect.

Jokeropia said:
It went below 100k the week before FFIII, so it wouldn't really be a big deal. We'd just lament the shortages a bit more I'd expect.

I know I sure am. If Nintendo was able to get more DSes out there, we'd have a lot more "converted gamers" meaning the total ignorance about them would decrease. (I'm talking the worldwide shortage which will ensue)

Joe Molotov

Barf_the_Mog said:
What does GAF do if the DS sells under 100k?

What will GAF do when our solar system's sun swells to red giant size and Earth is no longer habitable? This is the more urgent question.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
PSP 20,271

Lowest week since July 25-31, 2005, which was one week after its lowest week ever in Japan. AKA This is the PSP's third-lowest week ever.

Edit:
For fairness, this is the lowest week ever for Brain Training 2 and New Super Mario Bros., too. :p

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
donny2112 said:
Lowest week since July 25-31, 2005, which was one week after its lowest week ever in Japan. AKA This is the PSP's third-lowest week ever.

Edit:
For fairness, this is the lowest week ever for Brain Training 2 and New Super Mario Bros., too. :p
It also makes PSP look worse.

donny2112

I think this is the last set of numbers from me tonight. :p

October is on track to be the lowest 4-week month (by NPD reckoning) for the DS since the Lite launched and the lowest month for PSP since July 2005.

YTD/LTD:

NDS: 6,138,630 / 11,785,579
PSP: 1,423,840 / 4,106,802

DS Lead: 4,714,790 / 7,678,777

DS '06 vs. DS '05: +4,201,180
PSP '06 vs. PSP '05: -32,180

mj1108

jamesinclair said:
PS2 and PSP are surprisingly slow.

DS is surprisingly high.

What? Have you not seen any MC threads here in the last 10 1/2 months?

Bearillusion said:
But the Xbox 1 doubled its sales from 3 to 6.

*cue MS press release: "XBox sales rise 100% -- cites "Momentum""

mj1108 said:
What? Have you not seen any MC threads here in the last 10 1/2 months?

*cue MS press release: "XBox sales rise 100% -- cites "Momentum""

High as in we had 104 last week, a 12k increase is quite alot, I expected 101k.

cvxfreak

h-121_62236_061110hard.jpg.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/2006/10/26/120,1161841570,62231,0,0.html

Raw64life

future_pinoy said:
shortages really hurting game sales

Probably true to some extent, but sales are always shitty in October. From last year...

1. (PS2) Evangelion Pachinko Vol 1 CR - 72,000
2. (DS) Pokemon Torouze - 66,000
3. (PSP) Nouryoku Trainer Portable - 43,000
4. (DS) Super Princess Peach - 38,000
5. (PS2) Dragon Ball Z Sparking - 34,000 / 449,000
6. (PS2) Shuffle on the Stage - 30,000
7. (DS) Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - 24,000 / 679,000
8. (PS2) Burnout Revenge - 22,000
9. (GBA) Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers 21,000 / 375,000
10. (DS) Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisetchi - 20,000 / 317,000

Branduil

kisakiproject said:
There goes the 360 trend up. BTW according to M-create #s 360 just passed 150k. LTD 150,951

I just realized the DS sells more in some weeks than the 360 has sold lifetime in Japan. Wow.

At this point whether or not FF3 hits 1 million is basically a formality at best. It'll get to 900k at least and Square Enix will probably have shipped a bit more than that to retailers.

The whole hub bub about FF3 was to see if it would have good sales and Square Enix would support the DS moreso.

With all the Square Enix DS announcements the past few weeks even that has now become a moot point. Clearly SE is in bed with one of the handheld platforms, and it ain't the PSP.

Top Bottom