• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/11 - 2/17

ethelred

Cheesemeister said:
Do you realize what you just said? 'Cause you know, mid-May is the best time of year to sell a skiing game.

Nintendo and Sega released a summer Olympics game in December. It seems to be a theme.

Lobster

Banned
ethelred said:
Nintendo and Sega released a summer Olympics game in December.

The Wii's a fucking Wonderland where up is down and down is up, good games bomb and the shit just won't stop selling. So why not release summer games in December and skiing in May?

More "good games" have sold well compared to "shit" games on Wii.

Edit: lol edit.

justchris

Cheesemeister said:
Do you realize what you just said? 'Cause you know, mid-May is the best time of year to sell a skiing game.

Well...yes, actually, it kind of is. I mean, how else are you going to ski in the middle of May in North America?

(Well, I mean, you can always climb a mountain, but this is maybe cheaper? I don't know, I don't actually ski.)

ethelred said:
That definitely isn't true.

Actually it is.

Twilight Princess
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Metroid Prime 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Paper Mario
Guitar Hero III

There's Wii's million sellers, all terrific games.

Cheesemeister said:

Wouldn't it be wise to be the first alternate Balance Board-compatible game on the shelves? It's undoubtedly helped drive its success in Japan, and skiing was one of the first things I remember most people thinking "wow, what if" about when the Board was revealed.

I'd say having the opportunity to capture that advantage would take precedence over the fact that it's an out-of-season sports game.

ethelred

_Alkaline_ said:
Actually it is. [...] There's Wii's million sellers, all terrific games.

"Sold well" is defined as "sold a million?" Interesting. I think even Lance Stern would blush at the thought of making that sort of argument.

Sharp

ethelred said:
"Sold well" is defined as "sold a million?" Interesting. I think even Lance Stern would blush at the thought of making that sort of argument.
Hasn't Carnival Games sold a million, or is this just US sales? And if it's the latter, why is this being brought up in an MC thread?

fernoca

Regarding the whole Wii million sellers thing:
(Old list/numbers, but to give the idea..updated a few numbers like Wii Fit, Brawl)

01. Wii Sports - 17,850,000
02. Wii Play - 9,230,000

03. Super Mario Galaxy - 5,190,000
04. Mario Party 8 - 4,350,000
05. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 4,300,000
06. Super Paper Mario - 2,160,000
07. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree - 2,000,000
08. Mario Strikers Charged - 1,650,000
09. Guitar Hero III - 1,500,000
10. Wii Fit - 1,484,000
11. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 1,230,000
12. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 1,213,000
13. Link's Crossbow Training - 1,200,000
14. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition - 1,200,000
15. Mario & Sonic at the Olympics - 1,100,000
16. Red Steel - 1,100,000
17. Rayman Raving Rabbids - 1,000,000

Bolded the ones bundled with 'something' (controller, accessory, hardware)

From 17 -million sellers-:
-1 is bundled with hardware everywhere except Japan. (did 2.8 million by itself there)
-1 is bundled with a Wiimote everywhere.
-1 was bundled with the Wii Zapper in some regions.
-1 was bundled with a guitar.
-1 was bundled with a balance board.
-5 are third party (1 of them was published by Nintendo though..in some regions and 1 was bundled with a guitar)

**Corrected RE4Wii.. :p

ethelred

Sharp said:
Hasn't Carnival Games sold a million, or is this just US sales? And if it's the latter, why is this being brought up in an MC thread?

I didn't bring it up; Lobster did. Who can say why?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
fernoca said:
Regarding the whole million sellers thing:
(Old list/numbers, but to give the idea..updated a few numbers like Wii Fit, Brawl)

02. Wii Play - 9,230,000

10. Wii Fit - 1,484,000

From 17 million sellers:
-1 is bundled with hardware everywhere except Japan. (did 2.8 million by itself there)
-1 were bundled with the Wii Zapper in some regions.

All I have to say is Wii sporst Holy fucking hell.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
oh ethel you're just being coy. sometimes if you just came right out and said "a bunch of shit games have met or exceeded their sales expectations and thus they did 'well'," we could move this argument right along to next sales-age meme of the week. have your fun, i guess.

ethelred

PantherLotus said:
oh ethel you're just being coy. sometimes if you just came right out and said "a bunch of shit games have met or exceeded their sales expectations and thus they did 'well'," we could move this argument right along to next sales-age meme of the week. have your fun, i guess.

I'm just trying to move us past the pedo trainwreck of the last page. You'll all thank me later.

Lobster

Banned
ethelred said:
I didn't bring it up; Lobster did. Who can say why?

I didn't bring up US sales :lol

In Japan good games on Wii outweigh shit games on Wii when it comes to sales.

Thats really mainly because software sales in Japan for Wii are so fucking laughable.

icecream

Public Health Threat
ethelred said:
I'm just trying to move us past the pedo trainwreck of the last page. You'll all thank me later.
2jg7ypf.jpg

Cheesemeister said:

yes, it is, cause i meant Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Chile :D

Cheesemeister said:
You guys will be happy to know that I've just put the finishing touches on the parser for inside-games.jp. No more manual editing of the OP.

Freaking Gpara.
Nice workMaybe you could add a function that notes how many weeks each game has been on the charts? Its worth noting IMO, when you have games like Mario Kart DS still charting.

nli10

bafflewaffle said:
Nice workMaybe you could add a function that notes how many weeks each game has been on the charts? Its worth noting IMO, when you have games like Mario Kart DS still charting.

Yeah, but unfortunately numbers don't go that high. :(

Ilchymis

There's no real way to cover up the creepy overtones of dating sims. Especially when you just toss a shy and unexperienced schoolgirl on the cover to bring in all the "casual" fans.

I wouldn't buy it used, no matter how "pure" it might be. Ewwww....

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
fernoca said:
If you took the time to look at more than just Nintendo's latest financial report you'd see that Wario Ware: Smooth Moves has shipped 1.69 million WW as of 3/31/07. The reason it didn't show up in the latest report was because it had shipped less than 1 million WW in the nine months since then.

Dark Oni

fernoca said:

02. Wii Play - 9,230,000

10. Wii Fit - 1,484,000

From 17 -million sellers-:
-1 was bundled with the Wii Zapper in some regions.
-5 are third party (1 of them was published by Nintendo though..in some regions and 1 was bundled with a guitar)

O_O @ wii sports

kswiston

I think we need 2 or 3 more weeks to judge Brawl's long-term success in Japan. It's still selling really well, but If week to week drops continue to be fairly substantial, it may never overtake Wii Fit (or overtake it briefly, just to be outpaced down the road).

Once drop offs cease to be as large every week, we'll have a better idea where it's heading LTD. My guess right now is 2.5M. Higher if it ends up having Mario Kart DS legs later in the year.

Mdk7

Smash and even more Wii Fit numbers are impressive.
Poor poor Galaxy though... :(

Can't wait to see how Winning Eleven Wii will perform, i'm expecting a flop there... When is the game supposed to come out?

Laguna

Banned
iirc Winning Eleven Wii will come out this or next week. And you aren´t the only one thinking that this game will flop in Japan. Konami should have postponed this game.

swerve

Came out today with a fairly big push. The store I bought it at had replaced Smash with PlayMaker on the top four rows, the video that was looping Galaxy until last week was playing the PlayMaker ads on a loop, and there were plenty of posters with the slogan 'another kind of football reality' on it.

I have absolutely no idea how successful it'll be, but it *deserves* to fly off the shelves based on the three hours I've spent with it. And Konami need to be given serious kudos for being sensible enough to at least give it a shot, and try to see how the pointer can change their established series.

However, they have made one of the most complicated control schemes available for any console in history, for a machine that many associate with one single shaking action...

I think Wii Sports is on its way to top the 40 million or so that Super Mario Bros sold. It just depends on how long they keep bundling it.

swerve said:
Came out today with a fairly big push. The store I bought it at had replaced Smash with PlayMaker on the top four rows, the video that was looping Galaxy until last week was playing the PlayMaker ads on a loop, and there were plenty of posters with the slogan 'another kind of football reality' on it.

I have absolutely no idea how successful it'll be, but it *deserves* to fly off the shelves based on the three hours I've spent with it. And Konami need to be given serious kudos for being sensible enough to at least give it a shot, and try to see how the pointer can change their established series.

However, they have made one of the most complicated control schemes available for any console in history, for a machine that many associate with one single shaking action...
If you had more time with it would you be so kind as to post some more impressions? Eagerly awaiting the game.

TJ Spyke

Gekkonidae said:
I think Wii Sports is on its way to top the 40 million or so that Super Mario Bros sold. It just depends on how long they keep bundling it.

It doesn't cost much to include the game with the Wii (especially in North America where they put it in a cheap piec of f***ing cardboard, while Europe gets it a regual keep case) and it seems to be one of the bigger reasons a lot of people get the system, so I don't see them removing it from the system anytime soon.

swerve said:

Sounds promising. I'm hopeful for it, and I think it's the kind of game that needs to succeed if the Wii is going to have a shot at taking on the mantle of the PS2. Nintendo needs to show that "hardcore" gamers have something there beyond the classic Nintendo franchises, and something like PES that makes smart, sophisticated use of the strengths of the system is just the kind of game that should be being pushed, and to their credit it sounds like it is.

Mdk7

swerve said:

Gives us more man!! ^^

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nice, hope to see Smash continue having legs... still jealous of you bastards who own the game already!

Seriously WE Wii is the one of the most heavily advertised (in various ways) 3rd party game on Wii I have ever seen. This is the first ever ambitious attempt to revolutionize the traditional control of a traditional game. The success or failure of this game could mean quite a lot to Wii I guess.

No much discussion this week, so maybe we could discuss about this week releases, isn't it a little too packed?

360 BioShock
NDS Bokujou Monogatari: Kira Kira Taiyou to Nakama Tachi
PS3 Burnout Paradise
360 Burnout Paradise
NDS Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryaku Series DS Vol. 1: Shinseiki Evangelion
PS3 Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
PSP Musou Orochi
PS2 NiGHTS into Dreams
NDS Populous DS
NDS Sekaiju no Meikyuu 2: Shoou no Seihai
WII Winning Eleven Play Maker 2008

swerve said:

It is your duty as a human being to provide thorough impressions.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PSP Musou Orochi

I am playing this right now. This is way BETTER than the last 2 so-called "Musou" games on PSP with a dreaded splitted battle map which destroys the Musou feeling. This one is basically a direct port of the PS2 version, but Koei did a good job in finally porting the REAL Musou experiences to the portables, the first time ever!

That said, I think this game will still flop. There are just TOO MANY Musou game releases in the recent months. And somehow I think Koei has already "forgotten" this game or something. They released VERY LITTLE info, screenshots and stuff regarding this game. The game is already released but they don't even have a god damn cover for Amazon :lol

AnimeTheme said:
Seriously WE Wii is the one of the most heavily advertised (in various ways) 3rd party game on Wii I have ever seen. This is the first ever ambitious attempt to revolutionize the traditional control of a traditional game. The success or failure of this game could mean quite a lot to Wii I guess.
You're living in Japan? Is this referring to in-store advertisement or are there a lot of TV ads as well? How does it compare to DQS, RE advertisement?

Sales of this game will mean nothing to Wii, may mean a lot to the future of the series on Wii though - who knows. If Konami really wanted to gain market share with the Wii version they should have better timing I guess. This will tank - hard.

swerve

Mdk7 said:
Gives us more man!! ^^

OK, briefly:

Wi-fi worked flawlessly, the same familiar matching system now (having recently played Smash a lot, I'm used to the silent random battles).

Movement takes some getting used to but never feels awkward - it just feels like you can't do it right yet. When you set up a shot right, though, it feels really triumphant. The opponent AI so far has done a fine job except when I turned the difficulty right down, at which point most rival players just stood still. I'm still playing with the auto-pass mode (where it decides if you need to lob or not, etc, for you based upon whether there are rival players between your passee and you), but I doubt I'll be ready to take that off for a while.

This game's manual is about 3x as thick as any other Wii game's.

Menus are fairly slick, and I imagine outside of the actual pitch (which is now zoomed out quite far), presentation is very similar to the PS2 games. I haven't played a soccer game for about ten years, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I haven't been frustrated by the defending aspects yet. It's interesting trying to get your guys to tackle at the same time as setting up what they're going to do as soon as they succeed...

Anyway, this is a bit off-topic, really. It's good, and smooth, and very unlike any other Soccer game or Wii game. Which will probably be enough for some people (like me).

swerve said:
I'm still playing with the auto-pass mode (where it decides if you need to lob or not, etc, for you based upon whether there are rival players between your passee and you), but I doubt I'll be ready to take that off for a while.

woah woah, you mean you can take the auto-pass mode off?? I want to be able to lob or hit a ground pass when I want to and not have the computer decide which one I do. So I can do that? That's great news, if true.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kandinsky said:
People expecting more than 5k for WE Wii are kidding themselves, that game is going to bomb.

I think it will do better than 5K.

Like somewhere between 20-30K?

Phife Dawg said:
You're living in Japan? Is this referring to in-store advertisement or are there a lot of TV ads as well? How does it compare to DQS, RE advertisement?

Sales of this game will mean nothing to Wii, may mean a lot to the future of the series on Wii though - who knows. If Konami really wanted to gain market share with the Wii version they should have better timing I guess. This will tank - hard.

No. I am living in Hong Kong, so I don't exactly know the situation of their TV or in-store ad campaigns, but Japanese game magazines and related info are easily accessible here in Hong Kong, and the Wiis that are sold here are exactly the Japanese version. Miyamoto of Nintendo said in a Famitsu magazine interview that WE Playmaker is one of his most anticipated Wii games. This game is also heavily advertised in the Wii Nintendo channel. You can see from various ways that this is no "normal" 3rd party Wii game that usually got overshadowed by the first party games.

Thanks for the impressions, swerve. It also seems like the game is getting cheers from a fair amount of gamers through japanese game forums...I must say that it's really nice to see that, so far, this game seems to have the potential to deliver on its promises...Not that it comes off as a surprise to me :p .

Top Bottom