• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 23-29 Jan

Majmun

First week hw sales of the original Xbox in Japan >>>>>> Total X360 hw sales until now.

Am I right? :/

Majuts

Second said:
First week hw sales of the original Xbox in Japan >>>>>> Total X360 hw sales until now.
Yes, that is correct. I believe the original Xbox sold 123k in its first week, the 360 is at 89.743 with these last figures.

bud

DS 106,081
PSP 30,657
PS2 24,580
GBASP 5,946
GBM 3,042
GC 3,036
Xbox360 1,976
GBA 179
Xbox 128

I don't think that even those RPG's will help.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, Game Boy Micro really dropped fast. I mean, it's still doing great in the US, right? I guess the GBA userbase has moved on to DS in Japan at this point.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Impressive. DS has become a cultural phenomenon in Japan. Let's hope they secured a BIG stock of DS light because it will sell MILLIONS in no time. As crazy as it seems, all japanese could end up with a DS in few years from now :-/

Nintendo has transformed itself. They are now making content for the widest audience ever reached by a videogame company. From a marketing point of view, their segmentation is awesome. Titles like Nintendogs, Brain Training, Metroïd Prime, Tetris, Princess Peach, Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros, Animal Crossing, English Training can appeal to specific groups, easily identifiable.

Still, Nintendo has yet to prove they have understood how success can be met in other regions than Japan. It seems to me they are as slow as ever to release their Japan hits. And DS light should have released along with Metroïd, Brain Flex and Tetris. I always have this feeling that NA and Europe are mere afterthoughts for Nintendo.

hadareud

The Translator
I think the 360 is doing amazing considering the much higher price compared to the other consoles.

Oh sorry, this is not PSP, I'll take it back :D

Microsoft must really be hurting right now*.
You really need those Japanese sales if you want the largest amount of 3rd party development.

*Japan to the west :- "We don't want Next Gen"

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
It will be No Holds Barred when this baby hits.

february9th.jpg

jarrod

Banned
Tabris said:
Japanese RPGs (Final Fantasy, Suikoden, etc), Stealth-Action (Metal Gear), Adventure (Zelda), or just "artistic" games (Ico).
Well, one could make a similar argument that cinematic adventure games and RPGs placing focus on aesthetic presentation and non-interactive story elements (often at the expense of tightened mechanics and control) have similarly diluted gaming. The massive success of Final Fantasy VII or Metal Gear Solid inspiring likeminded bloated cinematic game development, likely at the expense of other more mechanics driven genres which we've seen decline in their wake (shooters, fighters, platformers, puzzlers, etc). Actually in many ways, Brain Training hearkens back more closley to the simple, "twitch" based games of old... it might be considered a rebirth of gaming in it's pureset form: simple, accessable, direct and fun. It's massive success indicates the Japanese at least see it as a breath of fresh air, after all the prerendered video clips and canned animation routines PlayStation's been pushing the past decade. ;)

NWO

Kiriku said:
Wow, Game Boy Micro really dropped fast. I mean, it's still doing great in the US, right? I guess the GBA userbase has moved on to DS in Japan at this point.

The Micro did shit everywhere except for the first few weeks in Japan. If you want a GBA you get a GBA. If you want a high priced handheld you get a DS or a PSP. There really was no market for the Micro even though it probably made Nintendo a ton of money.

Rur0ni

I will be purchasing a DS Lite (Black). I will be purchasing the Brain Training games(or non games if you wish).

I've never owned a handheld.

Rur0ni

NWO said:
The Micro did shit everywhere except for the first few weeks in Japan. If you want a GBA you get a GBA. If you want a high priced handheld you get a DS or a PSP. There really was no market for the Micro even though it probably made Nintendo a ton of money.
Reggie if I recall did say it was just a short fling thing. Nothing permanent.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Frankfurter said:
Wtf!? X360 is already almost dead whereas DS once again outsells all the other consoles/handhelds :lol

DS YTD 2006 (till Jan 29th): 316,259
DS YTD 2005 (till Jan 30th): 249,922

PSP YTD 2006 (till Jan 29th): 259,371
PSP YTD 2005 (till Jan 30th.): 267,602
Just consider this, the DS had shortages in Jan 06 so that number could've been much higher. The same thing with the PSP shortages of Jan 05.

The notes for this week.
Sales of the top100 titles totaled 1,777,440 units, 213.65% of last week's total and 125.11% of the weekly average. Twenty new releases took top spots in the top 100, accounting for 62.82% of sales. "Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII-" was ranked number one, with sales of approximately 392,000 units, while "English Training DS" and "Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams" also performed strongly, both selling over 100,000 units. The launch of a large number of new titles such as "Ar tonelico" and "Bleach DS" also stimulated the market.

Sales of "English Training DS" were approximately 242,000 units. Although there is a strong educational element to the game, sales have been strong from the very beginning, perhaps due to the large number of people who wish to learn English in a relaxed, informal way. Following on from "Brain Age" and "Gentle Brain Exercises", its performance as a standard title will be closely followed.

Xbox launch weeks:

195,812 in first 8 weeks.

VS

360 launch weaks:

89,743 in first 8 weeks

:lol

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Probationsmack said:
What were the lines of conversations within these threads before the ds was released? Were they even around?
basically a lot of self-p'zonage.

olubode said:
basically a lot of self-p'zonage.

No, no, once upon a time, there was no ds. We had ps2 and gba bieng the juggernaught of japan, the gamecue barely limping along and the xbox flatlining. These days, the threads are"DS,DS, Nintendogs, DS, DS, Braintraining,DS DS"

What was it like before in terms of conversation?

malek4980

Rosa Parks hater
Dav2k said:
Xbox launch weeks:

VS

360 launch weaks:

89,743 in first 8 weeks

The Xbox brand was unknown when it was released in Japan and had to face direct competition from the PS2 and GameCube, whereas the Xbox 360 doesn’t have any next gen competition at the moment. Yet the Xbox 360 is selling worse than the original Xbox This is an unmitigated disaster for Microsoft.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The content wasn't/isn't there for the Xbox 360 in Japan. They have nothing other than DOA to get excited about. The console is still foreign to them (especially with that huge power brick), and I don't think Live is as appealing in Japan as it is here.

A March launch with more content and more time for hype would've been better, but of course MS feared that the Ps3 was coming out in March too.

Majmun

VanMardigan said:
The content wasn't/isn't there for the Xbox 360 in Japan. They have nothing other than DOA to get excited about. The console is still foreign to them (especially with that huge power brick), and I don't think Live is as appealing in Japan as it is here.

A March launch with more content and more time for hype would've been better, but of course MS feared that the Ps3 was coming out in March too.

Don't forget Ridge Racer 6.

DOA and Ridge Racer are quite big in Japan. But it didn't help...at all.

What's next? Mistwalker is going to announce their games as Ps3-titles too?

Can microsoft pull out now? Do 85,000 japanese users even justify them wasting their efforts there? Unless the japanese developers can sell alot of software to the US xbox user I'm expecting alot of ps3 ports to be announced in the coming year.

GhaleonEB

malek4980 said:
The Xbox brand was unknown when it was released in Japan and had to face direct competition from the PS2 and GameCube, whereas the Xbox 360 doesn’t have any next gen competition at the moment. Yet the Xbox 360 is selling worse than the original Xbox This is an unmitigated disaster for Microsoft.
Bingo. There is no other way to describe it. Way to go, MS! WW launch FTL.

Raw64life

Probationsmack said:
Can microsoft pull out now? Do 85,000 japanese users even justify them wasting their efforts there? Unless the japanese developers can sell alot of software to the US xbox user I'm expecting alot of ps3 ports to be announced in the coming year.

I suggested kind of jokingly in another thread that MS just ship another 200k units to Japan and call it a day for the 360, but looking at the numbers I wouldn't be totally shocked in MS eventually just pulled out of Japan altogether. Their performance there is really just abysmal beyond all belief.

Monorojo

Banned
Man people here are unbelievably sensitive, and im called a PSPhantic when i dont even own one and only own a DS currently? Thats just plain idiotic.

Im just telling you how it is, its very sad when training software (that is all it is people) is flying off the shelves in favor of real games with, you know, GAMEPLAY. Not guess what this word means in English and whats 3+4...The success of these type of "games" can only lead to trouble, already we see Nintendo milking the hell out of the training series, with now English Training DS coming out and most likely versions with different languages coming very soon behind it....Already you can tell other companies and developers will see what's happening and how big of hits these games are and start producing products similar to it instead of real games due to the fact that the training software will sell better. Imagine developers dropping their latest action-adventure game for brain teaser training software, it just makes me sick thinking about it. Soon we will see a flood of these type of "games" on the market in Japan (its already starting tbqh), and now Nintendo is trying to infect the US and EU with this crap? Gamers everywhere can only pray that they flop HORRIBLY in those two regions so we don't see the same effect happen here.

If you are a real gamer (like myself), you will boycott every single version they spit out of this crap when it hits stateside, the Japanese public will of course continue to eat it up for years to come just as they ahve been eating up other rehashed franchises like Pokemon, DQ, and FF without thinking...

Nintendo is currently destroying the GAME industry.

PS. Ive never been banned from this site before btw

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Monorojo said:
Man people here are unbelievably sensitive, and im called a PSPhantic when i dont even own one and only own a DS currently? Thats just plain idiotic.

Im just telling you how it is, its very sad when training software (that is all it is people) is flying off the shelves in favor of real games with, you know, GAMEPLAY. Not guess what this word means in English and whats 3+4...The success of these type of "games" can only lead to trouble, already we see Nintendo milking the hell out of the training series, with now English Training DS coming out and most likely versions with different languages coming very soon behind it....Already you can tell other companies and developers will see what's happening and how big of hits these games are and start producing products similar to it instead of real games due to the fact that the training software will sell better. Imagine developers dropping their latest action-adventure game for brain teaser training software, it just makes me sick thinking about it. Soon we will see a flood of these type of "games" on the market in Japan (its already starting tbqh), and now Nintendo is trying to infect the US and EU with this crap? Gamers everywhere can only pray that they flop HORRIBLY in those two regions so we don't see the same effect happen here.

If you are a real gamer (like myself), you will boycott every single version they spit out of this crap when it hits stateside, the Japanese public will of course continue to eat it up for years to come just as they ahve been eating up other rehashed franchises like Pokemon, DQ, and FF without thinking...

I feel really sad for you, being soooooo bitter must mean you have a miserable life. Why don't you go back and play yours games mr. 'real gamer' instead of wasting your time posting in this thread.

Monorojo said:

Your avatar is actually in violation with tos. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Oh and stop bieng an elitist. There is no such thing as a real "gamer". People buy what they want and companies capitalize on that. Its that simple. The success of gta/madden/finalfantasy didnt stop the katamaris (~300,000 US) and wariowares from becoming successes.

methodman

Banned
Monorojo said:
Snippet.

Extremely stupid post. How many people do you think are working on these brain training games? 1,000? Fuck that. Nintendo is making bank by only having probably 50 (at the most?) people working on this game. That's incredible. If other companies could do that they would, but they can't. They still got tons of other teams making great games...

Ristamar

Dav2k said:
Xbox launch weeks:

VS

360 launch weaks:

89,743 in first 8 weeks

Damn, that is unbelievable...

Link

The Autumn Wind
Now now, guys, let Monorojo play 50 Cent Bulletproof with all the other "real gamers" in peace.

Taker666

methodman said:
Extremely stupid post. How many people do you think are working on these brain training games? 1,000? Fuck that. Nintendo is making bank by only having probably 50 (at the most?) people working on this game. That's incredible. If other companies could do that they would, but they can't. They still got tons of other teams making great games...

I think it was less than 10 actually, I vaguely remember hearing that somewhere.

...so these Chinese new years sales are not indicative of what we might see for the rest of the year? That makes me sad
I'm sure there's going to be a 100k boost when DS lite hits :>

The success of Brain Training is an argument for cheaper games, not that games are losing ground to 'non-games'. I know that I'd give more games a shot, if they were only $20. That way, I wouldn't feel ripped off when I only spend 10 hours with a game.

Maybe one reason (not a major one though) why the 360 is doing so unbelievably miserable in Japan is the high software prices for uninteresting games.

Well it could go both ways.

I think Nintendo wants gaming to become as accessible as it was on the NES, if not moreso.

I would like to see more games that you can pick up and play and start having fun with like within the first minute ... games like Super Mario Bros., Tetris, Punch-Out!, etc. all did that back in the day.

Brain Training is more like Wario Ware for grown-ups, as I've said before ... but more focused on an old school game concept -- getting a high score. That's all the "I.Q." rating the game gives is ... a high score for you to beat.

Also note that Mario Kart DS is the best selling Mario Kart in Japan since Mario Kart 64 ten years ago ... so people are still buying "regular" games.

Unless some new shortage and increased fallout from the DS Lite announcement has a big effect, it looks like DS will hit 6 million next week. PSP should hit 3 million in about 2 weeks.

Monorojo said:
If you are a sensible human being (like myself), you will buy a product you wish to own, and not buy a product you do not wish to own. The chips of supply and demand will fall where they will. As has been stated before, the major success of anything in the "interactive entertainment I do not care for" category has a negative affect on the "interactive entertainment I care for" category. Brain Training is very successful in Japan, but the Katamaris will still be made. Madden is very successful in the US, but that doesn't mean noone will want to tap the RTS market.

The way you talk about brain games taking over the market reminds me of the Penny Arcade (I think) article from some months back about how a big part of Nintendo's business is trying to get in early on a new type of game. They become the first company associated with it, and have a period of monopolistic success. Sure, other companies will release their own Brain Training types. But if we reach a point where there are 20 of varying quality released each year rather than the just 3 released last year, each will necessarily be less successful, making the development of additional games less appealing than you imagine it to be.

I sort of agree with Mono. DS with it's brain teasers is like a Tomagachi phenomenon.
It's not really games that are selling the thing.

People rag on the PSP sales but it's actually doing quite well. Just not compared to the DS which is being sold to non-gamers.

Monorojo said:

Brain training is as much a non-game as Tetris was. Tetris skyrocketed the Game Boy to success, and made it possible for us to recieve the massive library of amazing content on that system. DS is a repeat of history.

Enjoy 25 to Life and 50 Cent Bulletproof.

Top Bottom