• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 27 Mar - 2 Apr

cvxfreak

1. (PS2 - Sega) Pro Soccer wo Tsukurou Europe Championship- 149,000
2. (PS2, Banpresto) Another Century's Episode 2 - 111,000
3. (DS, Nintendo) Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - 86,000 / 1,735,000
4. (PS2, Square Enix) Final Fantasy XII - 86,000 / 2,088,000
5. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Ranger: Diamond and Pearl e-no Michi - 83,000 / 277,000
6. (DS, Nintendo) Oideyo Doubutsu no Mori - 80,000 / 2,350,000
7. (DS, Nintendo) Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - 52,000 / 1,821,000
8. (DS, Nintendo) Eigo ga Nigate na Otona no DS Training: Eigo Zuke - 50,000 / 753,000
9. (PSP, Konami) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable - 50,000
10. (PSP, Bandai) Naruto: Narutimate Portable - 41,000

DSL 149,371
DS 59,903
PSP 36,943
PS2 33,301
GBASP 6,732
Xbox360 3,258
GBM 2,992
GC 1,492
GBA 151
Xbox 68

http://www.gpara.com/ranking/

jman2050

Xenosaga I+II 50-60k = no go?

Wonder where Contact charted.

(PS2, Square Enix) Final Fantasy XII - 86,000 / 2,088,000
(DS, Nintendo) Oideyo Doubutsu no Mori - 80,000 / 2,350,000

Bebpo = pwned

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Pokemon Ranger doesn't seem to be doing that well. Anyone have impressions of it? It looked pretty fun.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
41,000 for the 10th place game is pretty good.

Initial reports pegged Contact at around 20k no? I'm surprised Xeno's not on there though.

Bebpo

Banned
A salute to all the games that came out on 3/30 and bombed so bad they didn't even make the top#10 meaning these games will not get sequels or followups by the companies on these particular systems or possibly in general. Hats off to Japanese ever showing ability to have the worse taste in games on the planet.

B000BNEY44.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000E8PVMU.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

PA.56049.002.jpg

PA.54664.003.jpg

PA.53374.009.jpg

We salute you in your failings despite being (mostly) good games:
sal.gif

argon

Wow, excellent week all around. There's still a chance Contact, Xenosaga, et al did respectably (30-40k) if they are placed relatively close to the top 10.

The BTs and ACWW are doing incredible, the release of the DS Lite is really fueling the phenomenon. Or is it the other way around?

cvxfreak

Changes from last week:

Final Fantasy XII: down 152K
Pokemon Ranger: down 107K
Animal Crossing DS: down 3K
Brain Training 2: up 9K
Brain Training: up 6K
English Training: 4K

Bebpo said:
Hats off to Japanese ever showing ability to have the worse taste in games on the planet.
Don't worry, the UK charts will be back to normal next week to take their title back. ACWW will go down. :p

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Bebpo said:
A salute to all the games that came out on 3/30 and bombed so bad they didn't even make the top#10 meaning these games will not get sequels or followups by the companies on these particular systems or possibly in general. Hats off to Japanese ever showing ability to have the worse taste in games on the planet.

http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/B000BNEY44.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/B000E8PVMU.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://image4.play-asia.com/350/PA.56049.002.jpg
http://image4.play-asia.com/350/PA.54664.003.jpg
http://image4.play-asia.com/350/PA.53374.009.jpg

We salute you in your failings despite being (mostly) good games:
http://www.oregonarmyguard.com/images/sal.gif

I would wait on your verdict for Contact. Number 10 had 41,000 units sold, so I'd wait for the top 30 before saying it bombed. It might get good word of mouth. Besides, it's already coming to the US so it's OK. Xenosaga... Meh. And did you expect the 2 360 games to do anything but bomb? Two games in the top 10 for the PSP. And I wonder if CoM will keep it's legs. It's doing better than most people thought after its first week.

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
meaning these games will not get sequels or followups by the companies on these particular systems or possibly in general.[/b].
Wait, you're telling me Xenosaga and Dynasty Warriors might not get sequels?.... :O

Mrbob

41,000 for the number 10 title is a very good week.

PS - Dynasty Warriors will never die! Long live the Madden of beat 'em ups and love it!

cvxfreak

I refuse to believe that a Dynasty Warriors game bombing somehow makes Japanese tastes bad. Or Rumble Roses for that matter. Cry foul when biohazard 4 fails to chart.

Spike

Okay, I used to love seeing Nintendo dominate the sales charts with the DS, but now this is ridiculous. These fucking non-games are taking over. I shudder to think when the day comes that Nintendo has another Animal Crossing, and about 5-6 more Brain Training titles. They'll completely own the top 10 spots.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I thought the Xenosaga DS game sucked... so the game bombing on the charts doesn't surprise me.

Mrbob

Spike said:
Okay, I used to love seeing Nintendo dominate the sales charts with the DS, but now this is ridiculous. These fucking non-games are taking over. I shudder to think when the day comes that Nintendo has another Animal Crossing, and about 5-6 more Brain Training titles. They'll completely own the top 10 spots.

Welcome to the future of gaming in Japan.

Wow Naruto for PSP did better then I expected.. thats a decent number @ #10 for a psp title too

I think people are over freaking out about a few titles not being in the top 10.. i sware stfu.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Wait, you're telling me Xenosaga and Dynasty Warriors might not get sequels?.... :O

So you think DS will ever see another XS? Of course multi-platform titles like DW are less effect by poor sales since they get their money from all the platforms combined, so that's less of a worry.

Anyhow:

Contact = Fucking awesome game
Zettai Zetsumei 2 = Fucking awesome game

Neither being in the top10 is atrocious and the drop in ACE sales is ridiculous. ACE1 did like 250k+ opening and it was a good game. ACE2 is an AWESOME game and it does < 50% the sales.

duckroll

Let's have a look at this week's charts and try to forever break the myth that "Japan has no taste anymore" or "non-games are taking over" and instead try to understand what we're really looking at. :D

This is a soccer management game. It is from Sega and is the latest in the line of a popular series that has existed for a long time. In Asia and Europe, soccer is a MAJOR sport. It's much more popular than the favored American sports like American football and Basketball. Considering how the other games in the series have sold, this is no surprise.

This is the mech action equavilant of Super Robot Wars. Produced by Banpresto and developed by From Software it features some of the most popular mecha series available plus the game plays pretty well. They've also been running ads and demos in stores for awhile now. The mech fanbase in Japan has always been willing to spend. It is no surprise either that this game is able to chart, although normally one would expect it to top the charts. I guess it's a sign that fans' faith in licensed games are also dropping steadily.

3. (DS, Nintendo) Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - 86,000 / 1,735,000

This is the sequel to Brain Training. Instead of bashing the entire "non-game" genre maybe we should look at why it works so well. Firstly it's a novelty. It's new and people are excited to "play" with it. It's also simple to understand and easy to pick up for all audiences so if an office worker's son gets him hooked on playing one and he shows it to the people in his office, they'll be more receptive to it than they would to an action platformer or a RPG.

This is a FF game. No brainer here.

5. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Ranger: Diamond and Pearl e-no Michi - 83,000 / 277,000

This is a Pokemon game. Also no brainer here.

6. (DS, Nintendo) Oideyo Doubutsu no Mori - 80,000 / 2,350,000

See above about non-games.

7. (DS, Nintendo) Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - 52,000 / 1,821,000

8. (DS, Nintendo) Eigo ga Nigate na Otona no DS Training: Eigo Zuke - 50,000 / 753,000

Baseball is the second most popular sport in Japan outside of Soccer. I have no idea why, I'm not Japanese. Baseball is not popular anywhere else in Asia. It must have to do with the fact that Japanese can actually play baseball relatively well. Anyway this is also an established sports series with a steady following.

This is a Naruto game. The fan-support aspect from ACE2 also applies here, but since it's a PSP game, on a lower scale.

Conclusion: We have 2 sports related games, 2 licensed titles for anime fandom, 4 "non-games" that are a new fad in Japan now with EVERYONE wanting to know what it's about, a FF game and a Pokemon game. What the hell is so "shocking" about this top10? It's about as mainstream as you can get. People that cry foul are obviously under some imaginary impression that gaming is not mainstream or that somehow good games will automatically be able to revolutionize the market. Bullshit. We've been looking at the same shit for 20 years now. Just because Nintendo created the new fad that everyone is hooked on, even non-gamers, doesn't change anything. More power to the company that knows how to do business.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
JonathanEx said:
Don't worry, the UK charts will be back to normal next week to take their title back. ACWW will go down. :p

Exactly...unfortunately. :(

Besides, you can't constantly brain BT and the like for the poor performance of anything else. Hell, you might as well blame:

These games as well. ;)

Edit: looks like Ducky sorta beat me to this point.

cvxfreak

Looks like Xenosaga didn't totally bomb. Children of Mana has some legs as well. So do Tamagotchi and Mario Kart.

Jonnyram

I've just noticed Rumble Roses XX charted too.
Sinobi said it was going to pass 10k for the week, and maybe come close to 20k.

GoutPatrol said:
Rumble Roses is at 17. So that would mean around 10K?

Are you kidding me? The #10 title is at 41,000. I bet it sold around 20-25,000. That seems pretty amazing to me. Maybe the Xbox 360 sold over the Gamecube this week.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Trident said:
Pokemon Ranger doesn't seem to be doing that well. Anyone have impressions of it? It looked pretty fun.

It's doing fine. Should get over 500k easily. I don't know what Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon's second week was, but Pokemon Ranger had a better first week at least and Mysterious Dungeon has gone onto sales of about 700k.

cvxfreak

Mama Smurf said:
It's doing fine. Should get over 500k easily. I don't know what Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon's second week was, but Pokemon Ranger had a better first week at least and Mysterious Dungeon has gone onto sales of about 700k.

The DS version of Dungeon's second week was about 50K. However it was helped by the holiday season.

Top Bottom