• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/10 - 3/16

sphinx said:
Ninja Gaiden DS is the biggest bomba ever if we consider pre-release hype, developer pedigree, and IP popularity.
It's not like the modern Ninja Gaiden has made a big splash in Japan. None of the Xbox/PS3 releases reached 100K.

test_account

XP-39C²
Stumpokapow said:
Nah, it wasn't FF3 that was released in cardboard boxes. I didn't explain well enough. I was talking about two separate events:

1) Nintendo had a production capacity issue when FF3 was released so the initial print run was smaller and the restock took longer than expected. If you check the threads back then, you'll see how FF3 sales were "AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME ... uh... where is it?... guys? what happened to FF3?" and then it totally crawled to a million.

2) Dragon Quest Monsters Joker was ALSO released during a production capacity problem. During that time, Nintendo actually had a plastic shortage. They were cutting print run size for a lot of people. The cardboard box thing was basically that they used boxes the shape of a DS box and the same material as a GBA box (so pretty flimsy). Inside the box with the normal stuff was a little letter from Nintendo saying "sorry, plastic shortage! Get a hold of us in a month or two and you'll get a plastic case".

They (fortunately) didn't package any 3rd party games like that. It was just first party stuff. It affected Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing DS, Tetris DS, New Super Mario Bros, and Super Mario 64 DS from around the mid-point of September 2006 to around the end of December 2006. I don't think it affected Brain Training or anything either probably because Nintendo was still trying to build the brand.

Actually, it was so bad that a bunch of Nintendo of Europe branches (I think the Benelux [Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg] branch was the big one) said they were considering doing it too!

Can you imagine? You're selling so much stuff that you don't have enough plastic to cover one and a half major regions!?

Ah ok. Ye, i think i remember something about FF3, wasnt it something that it sold poorer because of this, due to that when they restocked there were already alot of used copies avalible? Or maybe i'm mixing it up with another game. These cartboard games, do you know if there were large batches of them or just for a short while? If it was only small batch it might be kinda hard to find today, no? I collect games and i love to get rare/"obscure" things like this :)

Hehe ye, it sounds pretty crazy, plastic of all things, its probly one of the world most produced materials and they dont have enough, which is pretty crazy indeed :)

Stumpokapow said:
Yeah. I was really surprised to see 7 digit advertising budgets for some major games. I had always thought that advertising was about a million bucks for high profile titles, but then when I started tracking down some numbers, I was blown away.

Ye, 3-7 million dollars just for adverticing a game is alot. I would never have guessed that this amout of money was used on adverticing just one game.

Stumpokapow said:
Exactly! The initial licence fee is HUGE, and that's why a company's first project on a new engine almost always loses money because the licence fee is so high and it takes a long time to train people in. Especially since during the PS2 era a lot of games used the RenderWare middleware but now that's not around anymore, so a lot of people needed to "recalibrate" to some of the new tools...

... but once you've got it, you save SO MUCH money on future projects. It's pretty obvious it must be a good move, given that Square Enix has sort of half-ditched or at least toned down the White Engine / Crystal Tools and have since licenced UE3!

RenderWare, i think i remember that logo, but i never knew it was an game engine. Cool to know, thanks for the info :) Ye, thats true, i never really thought about that SE used the UE3 engine for a game. Maybe it takes too long to finish the White Engine that it was cheaper to license the UE3 engine instead, but thats just a guess from my side.

lopaz

Banned
SovanJedi said:
Wow, I can't believe the DS has outsold the PS2 by a million units already. Now all it needs to do is outsell the Game Boy + Game Boy Color combo to become the best selling games machine of all time in Japan.

...hey, remember when the media said this thing would crash and burn?!

Gameboy and GBC are different consoles! "Gameboy family" is Nintendo lies. They only use it so they can claim it to be the best selling video game system ever.

test_account said:
Ye, 3-7 million dollars just for adverticing a game is alot. I would never have guessed that this amout of money was used on adverticing just one game.
Modern marketing budgets have skyrocketed. Movies are the worst offenders: for example, the marketing expense for Cars was rumored to be over 50 million dollars. Games aren't quite in that league yet, but given their similar avenues of advertising, I'd easily expect comparable percentages. (Cars' marketing cost about 40% of the production cost.)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
test_account said:
It's quite simple really - if there's any sort of television advertising campaign planned, your marketing budget will at the minumum cross the million dollar mark.

TV spots aren't cheap, even for a 1 to 2 week window if you want it to play a certain amount of times on certain channels.

WT flying F @ Ninja Gaiden DS. At least I've done my part with the U.S. version.

Great Developer pedigree. Great franchise. Great impressions.
I don't get it.

Do any Japanese GAFers have any insight into what went wrong here?

donny2112

sphinx said:
Ninja Gaiden DS is the biggest bomba ever if we consider pre-release hype, developer pedigree, and IP popularity.

It'll beat out Ninja Gaiden Black. What about Contra 4? Sonic Rush Adventure? Call of Duty 4 (DS)?

It's bad, yes, but there's a whole lot of room to go before it gets to the "biggest bomba" stage.

Polari

titiklabingapat said:
I expected Deca Sports to bomba.

Good for Hudson that they found another hit on the Wii.

Yeah they must be pretty stoked with those numbers. I'm surprised we haven't seen more Wii Sports clones than we have.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sinobi adds a few comments:

- Deca Sporta = 3rd best Wii 3rd party debut after DQS and RE:UC
- HOTD2+3 shipped 30k (ie 50% sellthrough; not so hot)
- Army of Two considered a flop on PS3
- Echochrome sold out or almost sold out

lopaz

Banned
donny2112 said:
It'll beat out Ninja Gaiden Black. What about Contra 4? Sonic Rush Adventure? Call of Duty 4 (DS)?

It's bad, yes, but there's a whole lot of room to go before it gets to the "biggest bomba" stage.

Contra 4 bombed too? Goddamit, nothing good sells on DS.

donny2112

Because it wasn't "Wii Love Golf," and there seemed to be the lack of ability on Capcom's part to get across the message that this is the same company that developed MnG1 and Mario Golf. Deca Sports, meanwhile, has the words "Wii" and "Sports" in its title. (Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku!) Instant name recognition there.

That or it's just mini-game fest winning over a real game. /conspiracy theory

Grecco

_Alkaline_ said:
Now why does Deca Sports do awesome, and We Love Golf bomb horribly?

It's just not fair. :(

Deca Sports is a Wii Sports knock off

Wii love golf is a deeper Hot Shots knock off.

apujanata

donny2112 said:
Because it wasn't "Wii Love Golf," and there seemed to be the lack of ability on Capcom's part to get across the message that this is the same company that developed MnG1 and Mario Golf. Deca Sports, meanwhile, has the words "Wii" and "Sports" in its title. (Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku!) Instant name recognition there.

That or it's just mini-game fest winning over a real game. /conspiracy theory

Nice explanation. Especially the Deca Sports one.

lupin23rd

Hcoregamer00 said:
Maybe it will do better if they do a USA release.

Who am I kidding, this game will never get out of Japan.

So is almost every Tales game out on PSP in Japan, and are none of them out or coming to the US?

ethelred

Eteric Rice said:
Happens with all of the popular consoles.

I mean, look at Okami. :(

Er. Sure, but for context as far as that comparison goes, Okami in its opening week sold about 11 times as much as Ninja Gaiden DS.

Defuser

Guess what game they are waiting for lol.
23844_n20080327_01_mhp2g_02.jpg

lupin23rd

So you think today would be a good day to pick up a PSP? :lol

Oh wait I haven't seen any new ones in the last two weeks anyways

test_account

XP-39C²
Liabe Brave said:
Modern marketing budgets have skyrocketed. Movies are the worst offenders: for example, the marketing expense for Cars was rumored to be over 50 million dollars. Games aren't quite in that league yet, but given their similar avenues of advertising, I'd easily expect comparable percentages. (Cars' marketing cost about 40% of the production cost.)
If 50 million for adverticing Cars is true then its crazy! Thats alot of money :) Ye, games have become very popular so i guess it could be wise to spend millions of dollars on adverticing a game, atleast a big titled game.

XiaNaphryz said:
It's quite simple really - if there's any sort of television advertising campaign planned, your marketing budget will at the minumum cross the million dollar mark.

TV spots aren't cheap, even for a 1 to 2 week window if you want it to play a certain amount of times on certain channels.
Ye, i know TV adverticing can be quite expencive, but millions of dollars for adverticing 1 game suprised me. But as you said, adverticing can be pretty expencive so i guess millions of dollars in adverticing for a game would make sence :)

Top Bottom