• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/26 - 4/1

Vinnk

Ok, I will go after work and get numbers for the “Vinnk’s Village” report.

What should I “track” this week. Last week I did:

Wii hardware
PS3
DS lite
Layton
Yoshi’s Island DS
DQM:J

NOTE: PS3 numbers will very likely be exactly the same as they were last week due to me not being able to count units in back rooms.

andthebeatgoeson

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Tip: Media Create threads are not like most other threads in that their stupidity quotient is abnormally low. Because most of the posters here are here to discuss numbers, statistics and dry business topics along with the regular GAF hilarity, you tend to get a bit of an older crowd.

Yes, some stupidity is welcome here, for entertainment purposes, but it takes a seasoned troll to pull it off. You, my friend, do not have the chops just yet. Lurk a little more.
Don't listen to him, he's just being sarcastic. Don't let the Ntards keep you down.

Corez, can you expound on the theory that will lead Sony to a complete worldwide victory? Please, include pics and or graphs showing how Sony is beating the 360 at similar time periods of their respective lives.

dswinspn2.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Cheesemeister said:
As of 2003, there were approximately 2.35 million people studying Japanese worldwide, of which ~6.8% were in North America. So, there'd be a market of roughly 160k students... of whom a fair portion would own a DS, I'd imagine.

http://www.jpf.go.jp/e/japan/news/0407/07_01.html
Don't forget to add Anime fans to that number since most of them won't ever study Japanese but would like to learn it anyway.

Mar

Cheesemeister said:
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.

crankykong.jpg

In my day, we didn't have the interwebs or this silly MC / NPD data. We walked to the store and bought a MAGAZINE, once a month. We walked to the store in our BARE FEET, because shoes were only meant for throwing at nazis back in them days. We PAID for our magazine and 2 month old national news and WE LIKED IT.

cvxfreak

Fuzzy said:
Don't forget to add Anime fans to that number since most of them won't ever study Japanese but would like to learn it anyway.

Most of my Japanese language classmates have their DS and the Nintendo Kanji dictionary because it's so convenient.

felipeko

Vinnk said:
Ok, I will go after work and get numbers for the “Vinnk’s Village” report.

What should I “track” this week. Last week I did:

Wii hardware
PS3
DS lite
Layton
Yoshi’s Island DS
DQM:J

NOTE: PS3 numbers will very likely be exactly the same as they were last week due to me not being able to count units in back rooms.
And i'm guessing the Wii numbers will very likely be the same too...

justchris

Fuzzy said:

Yes, Japanese training will sell very well to American Otaku who will buy it, play it once or twice, but never actually put forth the effort to learn Japanese. They will keep it though, as a status symbol of their extreme otakuhood.

Probably won't be a million seller, but they could do around 250k in the US easily, maybe double that with good commercials during Adult Swim or d uring G4's anime hour (or whatever it's called...if they even still do that).

P90

justchris said:
Yes, Japanese training will sell very well to American Otaku who will buy it, play it once or twice, but never actually put forth the effort to learn Japanese. They will keep it though, as a status symbol of their extreme otakuhood.

Probably won't be a million seller, but they could do around 250k in the US easily, maybe double that with good commercials during Adult Swim or d uring G4's anime hour (or whatever it's called...if they even still do that).

I'd pick it up for my sons.

About English Training's underwhelming debut, could it have something to do with the content? I don't know how the game works, but if it's supposed to feature 'more advanced' English, then I think it would naturally have a more limited audience.

Also, doesn't this actually have good legs so far? Going from 10k on day one to nearly 50k by the end of the week sounds pretty impressive in Japan.

This whole thing reminds me of when I took part in a commercial in Japan for an organization trying to encourage more Japanese citizens to learn English. I wonder if somebody has it on youtube?

Eteric Rice

justchris said:

Exactly.

I can tell you that every person who owns Brain Age doesn't play it every day. Hell, I own it, and I haven't played it in months. But, I think it has enough selling power to be worth doing. Besides, you never know, if the otaku see their friends trying to learn it, they may go out and buy it.

It would temporarily end the "OMG THE US VOICE OVERS ARE ASS!" crap I hear every day.

diddlyD

Banned
creamsugar said:
Media Create 3/26 - 4/1

21 Wii FishingMaster 19000 19000
39 PS3 GundamMousou 8000 238000 
67 Wii FE 4000 122000 
68 Wii Naruto 4000 77000 
98 DS FF3 2000 1009000 

Wii 51000

hereintheenglishspeakingworldweusespacesandotherthingstomakethingsreadablethanksforthenumbersthoughcallmeat18888675309formoredetails

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Last year it was Square-Enix DS, this year it looks like 3rd party DS.

Jiggy

I'd buy Japanese Training just so I could understand what characters are saying in some of the more text-light Japan-only games, like the Ouendan titles. Or even Pokemon to an extent--not that it's light on text, but, if the translations are any indication, most of the characters aren't exactly masters of verbiage and vocabulary.

Of course, if Nintendo's paranoid about import sales harming US sales--which is a distinct possibility, considering the lame region-locked status of the Wii--I suppose such a title may never happen.

Eteric Rice

jj984jj said:
Last year it was Square-Enix DS, this year it looks like 3rd party DS.

How can that be? That can only mean that since 3rd parties don't do well on Nintendo systems, the DS will cause the next video game crash!

WE'LL BE BURYING CHILDREN OF MANA GAMES IN THE DESERT!

The Hermit

AniHawk said:
There was a time when all Nintendo systems combined wouldn't equal half of the Sony systems on the top 50. And the top 50s used to end in the sub 2,000 levels.

When I was a junior here this gif was present is nearly every sales thread:
gahiggidy.gif

Mariah Carey said:
About English Training's underwhelming debut, could it have something to do with the content? I don't know how the game works, but if it's supposed to feature 'more advanced' English, then I think it would naturally have a more limited audience.

Some of the features in More English Training:

Dictation: you listen to sentences in English and write them down through the touchscreen.

Daily Life English: presents recordings for about 400 types of daily situations, such as using the telephone, P.A. announcements, friendly conversations, talking with clerks and salespeople, and speaking with your superiors and subordinates.

Increasing Communication: because about half of the recordings deal with dialogues, in addition to improving the understanding of sentences one at a time, you can choose appropriate responses. There are about 2000 English sentences recorded with which to compare one's pronunciation.

cvxfreak

Jiggy37 said:
I'd buy Japanese Training just so I could understand what characters are saying in some of the more text-light Japan-only games, like the Ouendan titles. Or even Pokemon to an extent--not that it's light on text, but, if the translations are any indication, most of the characters aren't exactly masters of verbiage and vocabulary.

Of course, if Nintendo's paranoid about import sales harming US sales--which is a distinct possibility, considering the lame region-locked status of the Wii--I suppose such a title may never happen.

You're better off just taking Japanese for a year or so at a university. English Training is pretty appropriate for Japan and non-English speaking European countries because citizens there have been exposed to English previously (in school), and this is meant to train people's knowledge in that regard, not get them started on the language per se.

KINGMOKU

Man, this weeks thread is boring. It's missing something, and I cant quite put my finger on it.

I s there going to be any monster games bieng released soon in Japan? I'm to lazy to scroll back up after i'm done typing this, so it's Refresh city for me.

"*Yawn* I'm bored. Your boring Zoidberg. I'm leaving"

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
I don't know what version of Mario Kart games has sold the most in Japan but at this pace I think Mario Kart DS has a really good chance to break even 3m mark.
I think this is the first time that this game is higher than both Animal Crossing and More Brain Age in the chart which shows how amazing its legs are.

JavyOO7

starship said:
I don't know what version of Mario Kart games has sold the most in Japan but at this pace I think Mario Kart DS has a really good chance to break even 3m mark.
I think this is the first time that this game is higher than both Animal Crossing and More Brain Age in the chart which shows how amazing its legs are.

As it should... MK DS was a terrific rebound from that garbage (IMO) that was MK DD.

Yikes, there's a lot of Bandai-Namco on that list. I wouldn't mind a little less Bandai, and a little more Namco though, if you know what I mean.

justchris

Eteric Rice said:
Exactly.

I can tell you that every person who owns Brain Age doesn't play it every day. Hell, I own it, and I haven't played it in months. But, I think it has enough selling power to be worth doing. Besides, you never know, if the otaku see their friends trying to learn it, they may go out and buy it.

It would temporarily end the "OMG THE US VOICE OVERS ARE ASS!" crap I hear every day.

Yes, you'll see it pulled out at every anime convention ever, and the word of mouth sales will be ridiculous. I hate pretentious american otaku, but if they help get Japanese training here, I guess I can forgive them.

jj984jj

OnWarmerMusic said:
Yikes, there's a lot of Bandai-Namco on that list. I wouldn't mind a little less Bandai, and a little more Namco though, if you know what I mean.
Namco thinks that their games won't sell though (but you know if they actually put some effort into them instead of basing them off of tech-demos or outsourcing them to Dimps, they just might).

vitaflo

mckmas8808 said:
I never understood why people do this. I'm glad GAF has never adopted it.

GAF's never adobted it because people who do it tend to get the banstick. Thank the lord.

jepense

Pretty high numbers overall. Is it just because of many new games? I thought now before the "Golden week" it should be a relatively slow time for sales.

jj984jj said:
Namco thinks that their games won't sell though (but you know if they actually put some effort into them instead of basing them off of tech-demos or outsourcing them to Dimps, they just might).
Seriously, you'd think seeing the way the Bandai titles are doing, they might put two-and-two together. I'd imagine a (real) Ridge title with wifi would clean up, for example. They could probably just port R4, and it would do well.

jj984jj

OnWarmerMusic said:
Seriously, you'd think seeing the way the Bandai titles are doing, they might put two-and-two together. I'd imagine a (real) Ridge title with wifi would clean up, for example. They could probably just port R4, and it would do well.
Yeah I'm sure Tamagotchi and Tales appeal to the same audience so they should both be outsourced to Dimps.

Vinnk

jepense said:
Pretty high numbers overall. Is it just because of many new games? I thought now before the "Golden week" it should be a relatively slow time for sales.

Well.. it's spring vacation right now. A lot of bored kids hanging out at the gamestores. I went by Wanpaku on my way to lunch and there were like 10 kids hanging out outside the store playing DS.

Duke Togo

I wonder if Japan's overall electricity usage has dropped much over the past year with the shift towards more handheld games. Sadly, I'm not sure if I'm joking or not. :D

Emotions

We need Klonoa DS, that is about one of the few Namco series i care for aside from Mr. Driller, Some Pac-Man games,Tales of and Baten Kaitos and some other hidden little games here and there.

typhonsentra said:
Kingdom Hearts numbers are way way lower than I would've expected. First week Wii Play hasn't been in the top ten?
I don't think they're that bad. It's 170K units for a re-released game over a period of two or three days. It probably won't be as high as the initial run of Kingdom Hearts II, but it'll definatly have some decents sales.

Klonoa DS totally needs to happen.

as does a proper Ridge Racer. R4 port. make it happen namco. Tekken 3, or perhaps even Tekken Tag, would also be easy money on DS i think.

Top Bottom