• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/14 - 4/20

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:
NSMB:

-Has been out a year and a half longer
-Is on a system with a bigger install base
-Costs less to buy
-Is 2D, which generally makes for tighter platforming (no issues with judging depth, etc.)
-Has a title that blatantly harkens back to the original Super Mario Bros., which to Japan (and everywhere, really) is of legendary stature
-Is a portable title, which means that relatives/spouses/etc. might own one copy each instead of having one disc to a family

And most importantly, of course, NSMB's Fire Flower grants a powerup that lasts until you get hit, rather than that time-limited stuff in SMG. :(

SMG is still the better game though

sphinx

the piano man
HK-47 said:
SMG is still the better game though

Galaxy (just like 64 and Sunshine), is a spin-off adventure ( which is not "platforming") game with mario as the main character.

Japanese aren't easily fooled in regards to videogames. They want Super Mario Bros., not complicated tridimensional single player spin-offs.

They demosntrated this by buying 5 million of a real Super Mario Bros games when it arrived.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sphinx said:
Galaxy (just like 64 and Sunshine), is a spin-off adventure ( which is not "platforming") game with mario as the main character.

Japanese aren't easily fooled in regards to videogames. They want Super Mario Bros., not complicated tridimensional single player spin-offs.

They demosntrated this by buying 5 million of a real Super Mario Bros games when it arrived.

Still the better game

Taurus

So, what can we expect from the hardware numbers? If about last weekish, the PS3 should be around 7-8k, which means Wii Fit closes the gap with 25k this week!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
sphinx said:

You say this as if Galaxy is some kind of abomination to mankind.

The third dimension! It hurts!

Jiggy

I probably did like SMG more than NSMB despite being probably the most anti-3D person on GAF, but in terms of sales I have no issue seeing why the latter has performed so much better.

sphinx

the piano man
ZealousD said:

not actually, I am just amazed that Japanese seem to be so ... soulless in some cases.

When I saw all the footage and media of Galaxy I was " OMGAWEHWOEFHOWIEF ", and most of the normal people around the world were like that.

still, Japanese declare " too complicated, try harder next time "

what the FUCK is that for an attitude?

Is Mario in 3D!!! why won't you try it instead of whining about how complicated it looks?

Mario Galaxy for all the praise and pedigree it garnered across the world, decididely flopped in Japan. I don't care if it crawls and sweats drops of blood trying to reach the million mark, it is a game that should have comfortably cruised through that mark in much less time.

in regards to videogames sale, Mario Galaxy will remain one of the biggest mysteries in Japan for me. How the fuck it downright stopped selling at 700k, makes no sense.

Pretty slow week apart from MK and MH. Let's hope for some Golden Week sales extravaganza.

Vinnk said:
Have you played it? It's a lot of fun. It deserves it's sales. Wii Sports got pretty poor reviews too.

It's not a fantastic game but 10 sports (none of which are in Wii Sports) in one package is a great deal.
IGN critizised it for having basically no depth at all to the controls. Does Badminton control like WiiTennis (timing and angle responsible for the type of shot) or like a cheap WiiMote implementation (button presses + any kind of waggle)?

HK-47 said:
Still the better game
True words.

DENKO said:
Because there is not the title which is big till MGS4 is released, PS3 is severe.
Well there is Valkyrie but I expect that to not perform all that great.

sphinx said:
not actually, I am just amazed that Japanese seem to be so ... soulless in some cases.

When I saw all the footage and media of Galaxy I was " OMGAWEHWOEFHOWIEF ", and most of the normal people around the world were like that.

still, Japanese declare " too complicated, try harder next time "

what the FUCK is that for an attitude?

Is Mario in 3D!!! why won't you try it instead of whining about how complicated it looks?

Mario Galaxy for all the praise and pedigree it garnered across the world, decididely flopped in Japan. I don't care if it crawls and sweats drops of blood trying to reach the million mark, it is a game that should have comfortably cruised through that mark in much less time.

in regards to videogames sale, Mario Galaxy will remain one of the biggest mysteries in Japan for me. How the fuck it downright stopped selling at 700k, makes no sense.

You are looking at the wii sport crowd, they arent interested in a 3d platformer (at least not yet). In japan its clearer than anywhere else in the world that there huge numbers of people buying the wii for wii sports and other similar games. Its also the only country where you can see a realistic wii sports attach rate and its HUGE.

careksims

Concept17 said:
I'll never understand the japanese. They're so...random.

I hear ya :/

Also I love how the clerks at Gamestop keep pushing on "Do you want to reserve Mario Kart Wii?" Kudos to MKW and all, but not this time.

Tron 2.0

Jiggy37 said:
NSMB:

-Has been out a year and a half longer
-Is on a system with a bigger install base
-Costs less to buy
-Is 2D, which generally makes for tighter platforming (no issues with judging depth, etc.)
-Has a title that blatantly harkens back to the original Super Mario Bros., which to Japan (and everywhere, really) is of legendary stature
-Is a portable title, which means that relatives/spouses/etc. might own one copy each instead of having one disc to a family
None of those are as relevant as the fact that the Japanese just seem to prefer 2D platforming. That's really all there is to it.

And, as much as I love Super Mario Galaxy, I would really enjoy a New Super Mario Brothers on the Wii. 3D and 2D platforming are totally different experiences for me and I like each for different reasons.

Innotech

Banned
favouriteflavour said:
You are looking at the wii sport crowd, they arent interested in a 3d platformer (at least not yet). In japan its clearer than anywhere else in the world that there huge numbers of people buying the wii for wii sports and other similar games. Its also the only country where you can see a realistic wii sports attach rate and its HUGE.
See this is what I dont understand. People say wii sports is the only thing people will buy but thats saying basically that pople are spending $200-250+ on a videogame system just to play a simple game. While I can understand the initial purchase I have a hard time bleieving that these buyers will ONLY stick to wii sports. Most people dont just throw around $200+ on a whim like that and not get the most use out of it.

Tiktaalik

We're Fossil Diggers comes out of no where.

What is this game all about? Who made it? Is it any good?

It looks to have the same concept as that Spectrobes game that came out a while back.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Phife Dawg said:
Well there is Valkyrie but I expect that to not perform all that great.
What about that PS2 RPG (Chopen something). That sold alright on 360 didn't it?
Did Namco decide on release date for PS3 yet?

batbeg

Tiktaalik said:
We're Fossil Diggers comes out of no where.

What is this game all about? Who made it? Is it any good?

It looks to have the same concept as that Spectrobes game that came out a while back.

It's a Nintendo published Spectrobes like game I think, made by Red Entertainment. Looks ugly as sin, probably plays like it too.

Jiggy

Tron 2.0 said:
None of those are as relevant as the fact that the Japanese just seem to prefer 2D platforming. That's really all there is to it.
I think "is 2D" qualifies as being relevant to the Japanese preferring 2D. :p

Tenbatsu

200.jpg

sasimirobot

YEAH phoenix wright!

more sequels plz.

ds is retarded domination, it was kinda funny 2 years ago, but now...its just ... retarded...

Sharp

sphinx said:

SMG is about as close to the 2D Mario progression as any platformer's gotten, and likely is going to get, in addition to being an excellent amazing game, better than NSMB. I wouldn't give the average Japanese gamer too much credit here.

Paracelsus

Speaking of which, is the rumor from Sinobi which saw the retailers taking only 100k copies of Valkyria true? I remember Kurosaki Ichigo saying that.

sphinx said:

Ummm, Galaxy is platforming. And it's closer to 2D platforming than pretty much any other 3D platform game released. And definitely closer than any 3D Mario game.

Spin-off? :lol

jarrod

Banned
Fafalada said:
What about that PS2 RPG (Chopen something). That sold alright on 360 didn't it?
Did Namco decide on release date for PS3 yet?
It sold 65k iirc, no PS3 date yet (I'm guessing June, exactly 1 year after 360 release). I remember ducky or someone saying Valkyria orders were around 75k too btw.

Cheez-It

ZealousD said:

I loved Galaxy, but a 2d platforming Mario on the Wii (*by nintendo*)... I would figure out a way to get the game more quickly than I did Galaxy :p

farnham

Banned
Cheez-It said:
I loved Galaxy, but a 2d platforming Mario on the Wii (*by nintendo*)... I would figure out a way to get the game more quickly than I did Galaxy :p
i think the NSMB sales gave Nintendo the right message

NSMW for Wii would be great :D :D

linsivvi said:
This thread makes me want to dig some fossil.
ac_outside.jpg

d+pad

Innotech said:
the success of that game is refreshing. have you tried it?

i just got a demo of the US version (well, last week) and badminton sucked so much i haven't tried any of the other games on the disc yet (four of the final ten).

whoever said it controls like Wii Sports muct have been drunk when they played the game, because i found it to be horribly unresponsive.

i'm glad a third party is trying to replicate Wii Sports (since N doesn't seem to want to give us the sequel so many of us want), but this effort has failed for me so far...

Ceres

Banned
d+pad said:
i just got a demo of the US version (well, last week) and badminton sucked so much i haven't tried any of the other games on the disc yet (four of the final ten).

whoever said it controls like Wii Sports muct have been drunk when they played the game, because i found it to be horribly unresponsive.

i'm glad a third party is trying to replicate Wii Sports (since N doesn't seem to want to give us the sequel so many of us want), but this effort has failed for me so far...

Why give a sequel when they're going to give us more in depth versions along the lines of Mario Golf, Mario Baseball, & Mario Tennis?

Top Bottom