• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/14 - 4/20

sphinx said:
Galaxy (just like 64 and Sunshine), is a spin-off adventure ( which is not "platforming") game with mario as the main character.

Japanese aren't easily fooled in regards to videogames. They want Super Mario Bros., not complicated tridimensional single player spin-offs.

They demosntrated this by buying 5 million of a real Super Mario Bros games when it arrived.

ahahahhaHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

so...so..you are trying to say..

this is a Gaf's new low, all thanks to you

NeonZ

When I saw all the footage and media of Galaxy I was " OMGAWEHWOEFHOWIEF ", and most of the normal people around the world were like that.

I liked Galaxy after playing it, but the footage really did nothing for me.

At best, it looks like standard Mario with good graphics for the system. At its worst, it might look like a confusing mess to new players thanks to upside down shots and other gravity effects.

d+pad

Ceres said:
Why give a sequel when they're going to give us more in depth versions along the lines of Mario Golf, Mario Baseball, & Mario Tennis?

As much as loved previous versions of Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, etc., I don't want a mario sports game to add depth to what is in Wii Sports. I like using the Miis and having things be more straightforward (no power moves, etc.)

If they aren't planning some sort of sequel, they're nuts.

And if it comes out without the ability to play others on line (and compete in tournaments - esp. tennis and bowling) I will cry the most bitter of tears :(

Rocksteady33

d+pad said:
As much as loved previous versions of Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, etc., I don't want a mario sports game to add depth to what is in Wii Sports. I like using the Miis and having things be more straightforward (no power moves, etc.)

If they aren't planning some sort of sequel, they're nuts.

And if it comes out without the ability to play others on line (and compete in tournaments - esp. tennis and bowling) I will cry the most bitter of tears :(

They'll plan it when it stops selling. A year and a half later it's still in the top ten.

sphinx

the piano man
Anasui Kishibe said:
ahahahhaHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

so...so..you are trying to say..

this is a Gaf's new low, all thanks to you

mmhh.. I don't know what am I supposed to answer. Seems like you like wasting cyberspace with pointless posts.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah. Seriously. It is an evolution of the Mario genre, as it happened with Super Mario 64. But surely not a spin off.

I am not talking about me here, I am talking about the way people (particularly Japanese) perceive Mario in 3D.

We all see Mario in 3d as an evolution of the old school games and we put all Mario games in the same bag regardless of dimensions (2d/3d) but Japanese don't go that way. It seems to me that they perceive Mario in 3D as a complicated adventure spin-off and the fact that 3d games sell much less than 2d counterparts proves my point. There has to be a VERY good reason why Mario Galaxy stopped selling at around 750k~. It's not normal to buy 5 million copies of a game then only buy a miserable amount of 750k~ of a bigger/badder/better console version in the same franchise.

Why did SMG only managed to sell around 17% of new super Mario Bros LTD.? What the fuck happened there?

I repeat, I am taking about ho the game is perceived, not about what the game really is: Mario platforming game

ksamedi

Well Mario in 3D is much more an advanture game than a platformer. It certainly feels very different than a classic 2D Mario game, but thats what makes the series still relevant I think. If it were to stay with the same gameplay concept people would lose interest. Nintendo has a habit of pasting famous characters on to new gameplay concepts. I think Mario Galaxy could have easily been a new IP for them if they used new characters and art direction.

Jokeropia

sphinx said:
There has to be a VERY good reason why Mario Galaxy stopped selling at around 750k~.
It was at 900k last we saw it and is doing ~20k per month. (It's also likely to get a small boost during Golden Week.) It's no NSMB, but it'll make it past a million.

sphinx said:
Why did SMG only managed to sell around 17% of new super Mario Bros LTD.? What the fuck happened there?

you know why? Because it's an handheld game. End of story

p.s. still no trace of this in the Notorious Forum..man, it's sad they're pretending this isn' out yet :lol

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
farnham said:
ac_outside.jpg

I loved AC:WW. Can't wait for the Wii edition of AC.

Dizzan

MINI Member
nextgeneration said:
Where is everyone? ;)

PSP = 85,421
DS Lite = 44,551
Wii = 44,241
PS3 = 7,438
PS2 = 6,545
Xbox 360 = 1,076

Holy shit!

Monster Hunter is a monster of a system seller.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow--PS3 got absolutely crushed last month.

7,438? That's it? I can't believe it's that low.

Good to see PSP and DS so high, though.

itxaka

Defeatist
does microsoft have a japan-oriented game released shortly?

If it sells 5000 more units next week it could surpass the ps3, and that could be history for them :D ;-)

Culex

Banned
I don't believe anything is going save the PS3's nosedive into oblivion, until MGS4 hits, and even then, it looks bleak.

At this rate is the PS3 ever going to reach an acceptable enough install base for Square to release Final Fantasy 13? It could be a good two years before we see that title now, but then you must ask the question, will the PS3 still be at all relevant by then (if it isn't past relevance already)?

Really bleak times ahead for Sony in Japan, I honestly don't think there's much they can do to turn it around, save for its own equivalent of Monster Hunter.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
brain_stew said:
At this rate is the PS3 ever going to reach an acceptable enough install base for Square to release Final Fantasy 13? It could be a good two years before we see that title now, but then you must ask the question, will the PS3 still be at all relevant by then (if it isn't past relevance already)?

Really bleak times ahead for Sony in Japan, I honestly don't think there's much they can do to turn it around, save for its own equivalent of Monster Hunter.

Doesnt matter. FFXIII is coming out for PS3. They have too much invested in it

brain_stew said:

Considering that very game is now on the Wii instead, it'll be a LONG time before that happens, if at all.

JavyOO7

brain_stew said:

The main factor is how much does SE adore their main line FF series. But in my opinion they should release it whenever is done. By then god knows there might be some worthy competition for FF to go against (whether in the RPG realm or not, and theres plenty currently).

FF is a game that moves consoles. There will be a noticeable gain once SE releases 13, I believe thats truly a given.

diddlyD

Banned
hey guys lets debate if the ps3 is dead or not in japan in this media create thread. it'll be a first lolz.

personally im annoyed the 360 keeps barely scraping past 3 digit numbers.

Soule

Eh I'd like to see a lot of those numbers up a bit. At least software is still really strong I'd like it if HW could match.

ccbfan

Wow those PS3 numbers. What worse is that there not game until FF13 that can increase japanese sales yet S-E won't release FF13 until there a large enough database.

Also wow at PSP, damn who would have guessed MHP2G a freakin expansion would cause the largest software induced boost in over a year. And for the PSP aka Mr Hey I don't need software to sell hardware too.

There really needs to be a heaven/hell chart for PSP and PS3.

FrankT

diddlyD said:
hey guys lets debate if the ps3 is dead or not in japan in this media create thread. it'll be a first lolz.

personally im annoyed the 360 keeps barely scraping past 3 digit numbers.

Yea, lets do that lolllz.

PS3 = 7,438
Wait, what? Surely there's been some kind of mistake. Wasn't it at like 12k last week?

What're some upcoming releases that'll boost it? If it keeps on declining like this, it could seriously spell bad news for the system. It's still tracking above the GC, right?

FrankT

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Wait, what? Surely there's been some kind of mistake. Wasn't it at like 12k last week?

What're some upcoming releases that'll boost it? If it keeps on declining like this, it could seriously spell bad news for the system. It's still tracking above the GC, right?

Around 9k last week IIRC.

Top Bottom