• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/14 - 4/20

D.Lo

Hairyiguana said:
I have never been completely sure what this is supposed to mean. Isn't it likely that a very big portion of those people who own an HD console own the other one as well? That would take a big bite out of that argument I would think.
And many owners of one or the other will also have a Wii, leaving the 'people who own one or both of the HD consoles but not a Wii' number at a significantly lower lead, if a lead at all soon.

And then there's Europe, the bigger half of the western game market, where PS3+360 are probably be about even with the Wii at this point, or will be soon, even before all these addendums.

Overall Wii will probably catch PS3+360 in the west this year, and will definitely pass the HD combo by a decent margin worldwide by the start of 2009 thanks to Japan.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Hairyiguana said:
I have never been completely sure what this is supposed to mean. Isn't it likely that a very big portion of those people who own an HD console own the other one as well? That would take a big bite out of that argument I would think.

isn't it also likely that there are MORE people who own an HD Console + a Wii than 2 HD consoles?

think about it.

Atreides

davepoobond said:
isn't it also likely that there are MORE people who own an HD Console + a Wii than 2 HD consoles?

think about it.

It is likely... but it doesn't matter. The point of the chart is to explain why games are going to 360 + PS3 instead of Wii. Somebody who has both PS3 and X360 isn't going to buy the same game for both, so it could be argued that it would count as -1 for the lead of 360 + PS3 over Wii.

test_account

XP-39C²
At this rate PSP might be the best selling system of 2008, who would have thought that maybe a year ago :) Pretty good Mario Kart Wii and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G numbers as well :)

iidesuyo said:
Monster Hunter to surpass WiiFit in 2-3 weeks. Nice to see that gaming is not dead in Japan.
WiiSports is ahead of WiiFit as well, I don't see why gaming would be dead without MH. And what cvx said.

test_account said:
At this rate PSP might be the best selling system of 2008, who would have thought that maybe a year ago :) Pretty good Mario Kart Wii and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G numbers as well :)
It all depends on if there are titles coming that will sustain these kind of sales. Since MH was the biggest PSP game before and by far as well I don't think it's all too realistic to asume PSP will continue at this rate. But before we know more about Nintendo's plans for the second half of the year we can't really speculate how sales for both Wii and DS will unfold either.

CorwinB

PantherLotus said:
And because its relevant to the current discussion:

Source = US NPD
NPD-NEXTGEN-LEAD-0308.jpg

Hey, and while we are at it, why not add PC to this chart ?

test_account

XP-39C²
Phife Dawg said:
It all depends on if there are titles coming that will sustain these kind of sales. Since MH was the biggest PSP game before and by far as well I don't think it's all too realistic to asume PSP will continue at this rate. But before we know more about Nintendo's plans for the second half of the year we can't really speculate how sales for both Wii and DS will unfold either.
True, i dont think it will keep on doing about 80k every week for the rest of the year, but i think its possible that it will do around 40-50k each week.

Commander_Zorg

that UKR wanker
PC Gaijin said:
PS3 has been trending behind Saturn for a while now.

Please, for the love of GOD, can someone generate a graph showing Saturn versus PS3?

That would literally validate the last 13 years of my life.

Commander_Zorg said:
Please, for the love of GOD, can someone generate a graph showing Saturn versus PS3?

That would literally validate the last 13 years of my life.
(neutral) Commander_Zorg
that UKR wanker
(Today, 09:03 PM)
Reply | Quote

Wait a minute... was that really you?

sticksave said:
Yes there hasn't been much interest in Media Create numbers over there of late especially since the latest great savior Yakuza didn't do anything. I think I will go post these now.

did you? I see a thread now, and the atmosphere is more depressing than attending to a funeral

botticus

slaughterking said:
sinobi is updated with first day sales. But yeah, I don't get it... I think Valkyrie did 40k or something. D:
If the report of 100k retailer orders was accurate, that sounds about within their expectations - not sure about Sega.

cvxfreak

PS3 Senjou no Valkyria - 41K (34K regular, 7K LE)
NDS Taiko no Tatsujin DS 2 - 32K, 70% sell-through
NDS Summon Night - 26K

NDS Junguuji Saburou - 5-6K
NDS NARUTO - 5-6K

NDS Yatta Man - 1.5 - 2.5K
NDS Phoenix Wright 3 New Best Price - 1.5 - 2.5K
NDS Dream Cat DS - 1.5 - 2.5K
NDS That's QT - 1.5 - 2.5K
NDS Days of Memories 2 - 1.5 - 2.5K

jgwhiteus

cvxfreak said:
PS3 Senjou no Valkyria - 41K (34K regular, 7K LE)
NDS Taiko no Tatsujin DS 2 - 32K, 70% sell-through
NDS Summon Night - 26K

NDS Junguuji Saburou - 5-6K
NDS NARUTO - 5-6K

NDS Yatta Man - 1.5 - 2.5K
NDS Phoenix Wright 3 New Best Price - 1.5 - 2.5K
NDS Dream Cat DS - 1.5 - 2.5K
NDS That's QT - 1.5 - 2.5K
NDS Days of Memories 2 - 1.5 - 2.5K

Sega's "Dreamcats" isn't really pulling Nintendogs numbers...though I think if it's released worldwide it'll be one of those slow burners that quietly racks up sales (like the Ubi's Petz series or something)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
slaughterking said:
sinobi is updated with first day sales. But yeah, I don't get it... I think Valkyrie did 40k or something. D:

You got it right.

41,000;
34,000 regular edition
7,000 LE/bundle.

Sinobi notes that 100k for the week is expected, and that this is comparable to Armored Core 4.

Taiko Drum Master 2; 32,000 (strong sellthrough)
Summon Night DS2; 26,000 (strong sellthrough)
Naruto Retardo DS; 5000-6000
Junguuji Saburou DS; 5000-6000
All the other DS launches; 1500-2500.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nice, Taiko and Summon Night are doing well! :D

Valkyria is... pretty much what I expected.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
You got it right.

41,000;
34,000 regular edition
7,000 LE/bundle.

Sinobi notes that 100k for the week is expected, and that this is comparable to Armored Core 4.

No he does not. He said that 50k for the week is expected, with about 100k for lifetime to be expected. It sold only 50% of the shipment on the first day, there's no way it'll do much better for the week. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
No he does not. He said that 50k for the week is expected, with about 100k for lifetime to be expected. It sold only 50% of the shipment on the first day, there's no way it'll do much better for the week. :p

You're right, my bad.

cvxfreak

I think sinobi updated his blog with more games. Or I just didn't see them earlier.

360 Rainbow Six 2 Vegas 1K
PSP Vantage Master Portable 3K

Between 3K and 4K
PS2 H20 Plus
PS2 Prism Ark AWAKE
PS2 Edel Blume
360 Frontline

kswiston

D.Lo said:
And many owners of one or the other will also have a Wii, leaving the 'people who own one or both of the HD consoles but not a Wii' number at a significantly lower lead, if a lead at all soon.

NPD released a report a few weeks ago, saying (according to their poll) multi-console ownership is still pretty low at this point. They quoted 3% of people owning more than one console and 2% of people owning all three. However, I'm not sure if those percentages were in regards to console owners, or everyone who participated in the poll whether they play games or not.

Link: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9825&Itemid=2

Either way, even though it seems that 80% of us own more than one system, I doubt that the real number is any higher than 5-10% when you include casual gamers. Most of my friends either own no gaming systems, or one gaming system. Few other than me ever bothered getting more than one a generation.

jarrod

Banned
PC Gaijin said:
Yes, the PS was winning by the time FF7 came out. It surpassed the Saturn a couple of months before FF7's release, and doubled its userbase in the year after FF7.
It was basically neck and neck with Saturn until FF7 was announced in early 1996 though... FF7 was definitely "kingmaker" at the time, and after it was unveiled there was a rush of developer support to the platform.

goat said:
I believe that everyone was alluding to a 360 port.
Honestly, I'll be shocked if there isn't a PC port. 360's much more questionable though, that really hinges on how much SCEI wants to cough up. ;)

Hammerhai

First Day Sales : The numbers in () shows the shipments info.

Valkyrie of the Battlefield: Gallian Chronicles (PS3) : about 40k (about 80k)

Meccha Taiko Drum Master DS: Adventure in Seven Islands (DS) : about 32k

Summon Night (DS) : about 26k (about 50k)

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (360) : about 10k (about 16k)
5k~6k

Detective Saburo Jinguji: Lasting Heart (DS)

Naruto Sippuuden Shinobi Retsuden 2 (DS)
3k~4k

Edel Blume (PS2)

H2O Plus (PS2)

Prism Ark -AWEAK- (PS2)

Flontlin: Fuel of War (360)
about 3k

Vantage Master Portable (PSP) (about 10k)
1.5k~2.5k

Yatta Man DS: Bikkuri Dokkiri Daisakusen da-koron (DS)

Dream Cat DS (DS)

Phoenix Wright 3 (New Best Price 2000) (DS)

Days of Memories 2 (DS)

That's QT (DS)

Source : http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So Summon Night barely sold through 50% of it's shipment? Did he really say strong sellthrough Stumpokapow? Or was he just talking about Taiko?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jj984jj said:
So Summon Night barely sold through 50% of it's shipment? Did he really say strong sellthrough Stumpokapow? Or was he just talking about Taiko?

He didn't say "strong". He said 50%. "Strong" was my word, because 50% first day is pretty strong. It pretty much means near-full sellthrough of the first shipment in the first week, which is basically the sweet spot of what retailers like--broad availability but quick turnover time. I think "brisk" might have been a better word for me to use.

He also noted that this was a substantial improvement versus the last Summon Night DS game that did 13k first day.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gaborn said:
They won't give the Wii FFXIII. They'll do the FFVII remake for it.

Oh my. GAF would cease to exist if this occurred.

Paracelsus

Stumpokapow said:
You got it right.

41,000;
34,000 regular edition
7,000 LE/bundle.

4uw5e8.jpg

Is there any way for this to surpass at least the 70% of the sell-through? Didn't they advertise this game at all? Goddamnit.

kswiston

I think Final Fantasy XIII will be fine sales-wise. It may be one of the lower selling entries in the series, but I'm sure it will sell enough copies to turn a profit.

Average game sales may be reflective of a console's userbase, but sales of the top games are not. Halo 3 sold just as well as Halo 2 did even though the 360 installed userbase in Sept 07 was about half of the Xbox installed userbase in Nov 04. Super Smash Bros Brawl will probably sell less than twice as much as SSBM did in Japan, even though the eventual installed userbase of the Wii will be eventually be 4-6x higher than the installed userbase of the Gamecube.

My guess is that, upon its release, we will see maybe 60% of japanese PS3 owners buying Final Fantasy XIII (and a couple hundred thousand people purchasing the system to play the game), similar to what happened when Melee was released for the Gamecube in Japan, or Halo 3 was released for the 360 in North America. That will translate into 1.5-2M units sold depending on how the PS3 does from now until FFXIII's release. 1.5M will be a pretty large drop from other Final Fantasy titles, but it won't be the end of the world. When you add NA and EU sales, I wouldn't be surprised if the game breaks 5M.

While Final Fantasy XIII is not going to save the PS3, I'm positive it will at least make S-E some money. Maybe not as much as they hoped back in 2004/5 when the game started production, but profit nonetheless.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
He didn't say "strong". He said 50%. "Strong" was my word, because 50% first day is pretty strong. It pretty much means near-full sellthrough of the first shipment in the first week, which is basically the sweet spot of what retailers like--broad availability but quick turnover time. I think "brisk" might have been a better word for me to use.

No, not at all. Strong would be 70-80% sell-through. Initial shipments are expected to sell out within a day or two in Japan, and be restocked immediately. 50% is pretty mediocre really. Initial shipments are shipped based on retailers' expectations to sell out based on pre-orders + walk in purchases.

I havent been following the MC charts too closely in the past few weeks, so I have a question. Has the DS had any million sellers since Dragon Quest 4? It seemed to have really slowed down in that regard so I was just wondering if any games hit a million under the radar or something like that.

Paracelsus said:

Is there any way for this to surpass at least the 70% of the sell-through? Didn't they advertise this game at all? Goddamnit.[/QUOTE]

At this point, I think that telling them this game was for the PS3 would be more of a detriment than an aid. >_>

batbeg said:
Well FFVII sales were higher than FFVIII and FFIX, and then FFX outsold the previous two as well. The first game in a series seems to sell better than the ones at the end of last generation and more than the ones following it as well.

Yeah, but that's before accounting for a huge gigantic reduction in install base and overall level of success of the system it's appearing on.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
batbeg said:
Well FFVII sales were higher than FFVIII and FFIX, and then FFX outsold the previous two as well. The first game in a series seems to sell better than the ones at the end of last generation and more than the ones following it as well.

Though there's a big fucking "maybe" there as that's a very short pattern. Just a possibility though.

X didnt outsell VIII in Japan.

Another new game that everyone seems to have missed...

Wii &#12362;&#25475;&#38500;&#25126;&#38538;&#12367;&#12426;&#12540;&#12435;&#12365;&#12540;&#12401;&#12540; (Clean Keeper) - Not countable (<1k)

Shinobi described this as "No MOE market for Wii".

kswiston

charlequin said:
Yeah, but that's before accounting for a huge gigantic reduction in install base and overall level of success of the system it's appearing on.

Like I said above, install base doesn't mean everything. The install base of the super Famicom was a hell of a lot higher when FFVI was released, than the installed based of the PS1 was when FFVII was released. Same goes with the installed userbase of the PS1 for FFIX's release vs the PS2 for FFXs release. The type of people who camp out to get the newest Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest game on day one are the type of people to adopt a gaming system early in its lifespan.

Now the PS3 has a REALLY low userbase. That will effect the sales of FFXIII somewhat. However, you're in for a surprise if you don't think the game will break a million with ease in Japan.

Dascu

AnimeTheme said:
Another new game that everyone seems to have missed...

Wii &#12362;&#25475;&#38500;&#25126;&#38538;&#12367;&#12426;&#12540;&#12435;&#12365;&#12540;&#12401;&#12540; (Clean Keeper) - Not countable (<1k)

Shinobi described this as "No MOE market for Wii".
Isn't this that semi-hentai game?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kswiston said:
Like I said above, install base doesn't mean everything. The install base of the super Famicom was a hell of a lot higher when FFVI was released, than the installed based of the PS1 was when FFVII was released. Same goes with the installed userbase of the PS1 for FFIX's release vs the PS2 for FFXs release. The type of people who camp out to get the newest Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest game on day one are the type of people to adopt a gaming system early in its lifespan.

Now the PS3 has a REALLY low userbase. That will effect the sales of FFXIII somewhat. However, you're in for a surprise if you don't think the game will break a million with ease in Japan.

Dont compare VI to VII...dont

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
super funk said:
I havent been following the MC charts too closely in the past few weeks, so I have a question. Has the DS had any million sellers since Dragon Quest 4? It seemed to have really slowed down in that regard so I was just wondering if any games hit a million under the radar or something like that.

Yoshi's Island DS crossed 1 mil

Top Bottom