• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

Kenka

Chris Michael said:
Um, yes. That's basically been the case with all his games. It doesn't matter if it's common ****ing logic that it'll sell way better on Wii/DS, Kitase doesn't want ANYTHING touching Nintendo systems.

So... in short, no, even if it would clearly sell better, whatever Kitase says goes, and I can sure as hell tell you now he won't have any of his property gracing a Ninty system.

Let's say it clearly one more time :

SE
doesn't
want
to
be
Nintendo's
bitch
again.

That's it. Multi-plateform for SE is a way to allow competition to exist and, for being more precise, a way to protect itself against a much too powerful Nintendo.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Gekkonidae said:
Going back to the Mario charts. I think it's incredible that SMB is still, after all these years, the best selling game of all time. Over 40 million according to Wikipedia: Linkie. (And Wikipedia had those numbers long before ioi stole them so don't accuse me of using bad numbers.) And in over twenty years, no other game has even come close to matching its numbers. And honestly, I don't think any game ever will.
Wii Sport just might, if they keep it as a pack-in in the western world

1-D_FTW

milanbaros said:
It doesn't cost $600.

It's 50000 yen, isn't it? For the 20GB pack?

That's roughly 500 dollars. Currency conversion means squat. So the dollar is strong against the yen right now. So what. To the Japanese worker, that doesn't mean squat. He doesn't suddenly get a raise. His rent doesn't suddenly go down. His electricity bill doesn't go down. Things don't suddenly get cheaper 25 percent cheaper in the store. The yen is fixed to them. Just like the dollar is fixed to Americans. Rent doesn't decrease for Americans when the dollar gets stronger. Currency conversion really gets abused in this argument (and you're clearly not the 1st to use it, but it really is a pet peave of mine.)

Terrell

Kenka said:
Porting Star Ocean to PSP is not exactly just producing another random suck-off. It's clearly a way to keep the system alive (and sell on it). SE will support the PSP also in the future. The PS3....not sure.
Let's not kid ourselves here... a remake is a remake, no matter how high of a regard one has for the franchise in question. The response was in regards to making parallels between PSP support indicating that Square Enix will leave its mainline FF series, its biggest cashcow, on a platform they can't get massive sales from. It's just a poor comparison to make. Star Ocean remakes for PSP was a bold move to make, no doubt of that... but let's be level-headed about this.

Kenka said:
We say the same thing about Just Fontaine's record but let's be a bit more careful about our predictions OK ? SMB successor is probably charting just in front of your eyes. It's called
Wii Sports
:D

EDIT : Chicyclist was faster than me :(
Actually, Milanbros is faster than both of us combined :p

Saitou

Banned
1-D_FTW said:

That's roughly 500 dollars. Currency conversion means squat. So the dollar is strong against the yen right now. So what. To the Japanese worker, that doesn't mean squat. He doesn't suddenly get a raise. His rent doesn't suddenly go down. His electricity bill doesn't go down. Things don't suddenly get cheaper 25 percent cheaper in the store. The yen is fixed to them. Just like the dollar is fixed to Americans. Rent doesn't decrease for Americans when the dollar gets stronger. Currency conversion really gets abused in this argument (and you're clearly not the 1st to use it, but it really is a pet peave of mine.)
ha ha ha oh wow

r u serioos?

Loonz

Kenka said:

SE
doesn't
want
to
be
Nintendo's
bitch
again.

That's it. Multi-plateform for SE is a way to allow competition to exist and, for being more precise, a way to protect itself against a much too powerful Nintendo.

If that's true, S-E is deceiving itself with the illusion of controlling the japanese market, and it's going to suffer a lot this generation. A LOT.

Kenka said:

SE
doesn't
want
to
be
Nintendo's
bitch
again.

Good luck to them.

Who's next in line when it comes to jrpgs?

Neomoto

Sharp said:
Mainline FF sequel? You mean FFXII:RW? Not quite, chibi. The PSP is getting Crisis Core, which is arguably closer to one. And sure, the PSP is getting a lot of ports, but the DS is mostly getting ports as well.

Enix properties are a different matter, mind. Between Star Ocean and Dragon Quest they seem to be going entirely for sales. But I see no evidence that Square is going to shift all their FF stuff over to Wii and DS. Hell, at this point there's more of an argument for cell phones' getting it all.
Children of Mana
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker
Egg Monster Hero
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Front Mission 1st
Heroes of Mana
Mario Hoops 3-on-3
Itadaki Street DS
It's a Wonderful World
FFXII: Revenant Wing
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: The Grimoire Book
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Dragon Quest IX
Final Fantasy IV
DS Style Series (6 games)

I agree, the sheer amount of ports from Square-Enix is getting pretty effing ridiculous.
lol

1-D_FTW

Saitou said:
ha ha ha oh wow

r u serioos?
Yes. What if the yen began kicking the dollar's ass tomorrow? And the currency conversion made 500,000 the equivalent of 650 dollars. Would the PS3 suddenly be a lot more expensive for the Japanese public? No. It'd still cost them 500,000 yen.

It'd cost more for me to FLY to Japan and buy a PS3 with dollars. Or it'd be cheaper for a Japanese person to fly to America and buy a US PS3 with yen. But to native Japanese buying a Japanese PS3, it'd still cost 500,000 yen.

Kenka

chibcicylist said:
Good luck to them.

Who's next in line when it comes to jrpgs?

You're asking the question ? Namco of course ! :lol

But what happenned to the weekly releases of Tales of games ? hum....

Probably heading to Wii ? All of them ? :D

1-D_FTW said:

It's not an abuse of currency conversion. The PS3 got a yen drop in Japan. It was intended to be cheaper.

Saitou

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Yes. What if the yen began kicking the dollar's ass tomorrow? And the currency conversion made 50,0000 the equivalent of 650 dollars. Would the PS3 suddenly be a lot more expensive for the Japanese public? No. It'd still cost them 500,000 yen.

It'd cost more for me to FLY to Japan and buy a PS3 with dollars. Or it'd be cheaper for a Japanese person to fly to America and buy a US PS3 with yen. But to native Japanese buying a Japanese PS3, it'd still cost 500,000 yen.
You have no idea how global economics work. I will ignore you now.

And Neomoto, FF3DS hardly deserves the lowly moniker of port.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Neomoto said:
Children of Mana
Egg Monster Hero
Final Fantasy III
Front Mission 1st
Heroes of Mana
Mario Hoops 3-on-3
Itadaki Street DS
It's a Wonderful World
Dragon Quest IX
Final Fantasy IV

I agree, the sheer amount of ports from Square-Enix is getting pretty effing ridiculous.
lol

Do complete remakes count as ports though?

Kaeru

Banned
Neomoto said:
Children of Mana
Egg Monster Hero
Final Fantasy III
Front Mission 1st
Heroes of Mana
Mario Hoops 3-on-3
Itadaki Street DS
It's a Wonderful World
Dragon Quest IX
Final Fantasy IV

lol

OOPS!

Eteric Rice

Can someone elaborate on Kitase's hate for Nintendo? I've seen people talk about this many times, but I've never heard anything about it before.

Just curious, here.

Neomoto

Kaeru said:
:lol How did that happen? Good responce though, made me laugh

Deku said:
I think neo didn't mean what he said. And no I wouldn't count remakes as ports.
No of course they arn't ports ;) There is only 1 port (right? or was it a remake I don't remember 100% because I don't care about the title) in that list that's why I found it funny. And indeed, FF III & FF IV are remakes from 2d to 3d with extra content and such, but I thought I'd italicized them for the fun of it. :p And the last remark was sarcastic of course.

Kenka said:

SE
doesn't
want
to
be
Nintendo's
bitch
again.

Hey, I didn't even think of that before. It seems quite plausible that they want to spread their games more, since this gen is so diverse, unexpected and unpredictable. They want to keep the financial riscs to a minimum I guess. And they were threated so well in the Playstation generations, while Nintendo was such a pimp. I think squeenix is already looking back at the previous ten years with a nostalgic eye.

Deku

Banned
According to Kohler's book, S-E was the one who decided to publish exclusively on the PS after they switched FFVII to PlayStation. They're the one who was having to go back to Nintendo in 2002 to beg for a GBA license.

Obviously SE would desire independence, but their current working relationship with Nintendo would have been deemed unthinkable just a short 3 years ago. I think the partnership will only deepen especially if PS3 continues to struggle in Japan.

Eteric Rice

Souldriver said:
Hey, I didn't even think of that before. It seems quite plausible that they want to spread their games more, since this gen is so diverse, unexpected and unpredictable. They want to keep the financial riscs to a minimum I guess. And they were threated so well in the Playstation generations, while Nintendo was such a pimp. I think squeenix is already looking back at the previous ten years with a nostalgic eye.

Eh, they weren't treated "that" well. Sony already kicked them in the balls with the slim line PS2, once.

Deku said:
According to Kohler's book, S-E was the one who decided to publish exclusively on the PS after they switched FFVII to PlayStation. They're the one who was having to go back to Nintendo in 2002 to beg for a GBA license.

Obviously SE would desire independence, but their current working relationship with Nintendo would have been deemed heretical and unthinkable just a short 3 years ago. I think the partnership will only get deeper especially if PS3 continues to struggle in Japan.

There's a little more to that story. From what's sort of been made public.

- Squaresoft went to Yamauchi and told him they'd have to put FF7 on the Playstation because of Nintendo's cart-only choice. Yamauchi was OK with that.

- Squaresoft then lobbied behind the scenes on Sony's behalf to take Dragon Quest VII away from Nintendo and apparently made some public comments about Nintendo. This burned bridges and Yamauchi then made his rant about Japanese players only playing games in dark rooms by themselves (lol).

- The FF movie flopped, Sony needed a GBA license bad, but Yamauchi told them to go shove it.

- Squaresoft fires their president, replaces him with a more Nintendo-friendly guy. He got the GBA license deal done along with the FF:CC deal.

Things have gotten progressively better between the two companies since.

Deku said:

Obviously SE would desire independence, but their current working relationship with Nintendo would have been deemed unthinkable just a short 3 years ago. I think the partnership will only deepen especially if PS3 continues to struggle in Japan.

I want to see them beg to develop FF for the Wii as well.

Eteric Rice said:
Eh, they weren't treated "that" well. Sony already kicked them in the balls with the slim line PS2, once.
Yeah, I don't mean that as "Oh, Sony was sooo good to them", but more as a "Playstation was such an incredible succes that they could maximise profits".

The playstation brand (up untill the PS3) was heavily driven by third party sales, and SE definitely was the king of them all. While right now, it's not so sure yet if third parties will preform well on the Wii (in Japan), and even if they do, Nintendo itself is and stays unbeatable competition.

So I could see why SE sees the playstation gens as their best ones. But hey, I guess every generation has it's opportunities, like DQ on DS OMGWTFITSGONNARAPEJAPAN.

Deku

Banned
Souldriver said:
Yeah, I don't mean that as "Oh, Sony was sooo good to them", but more as a "Playstation was such an incredible succes that they could maximise profits".

The playstation brand (up untill the PS3) was heavily driven by third party sales, and SE definitely was the king of them all. While right now, it's not so sure yet if third parties will preform well on the Wii (in Japan), and even if they do, Nintendo itself is and stays unbeatable competition.

So I could see why SE sees the playstation gens as their best ones. But hey, I guess every generation has it's opportunities, like DQ on DS OMGWTFITSGONNARAPEJAPAN. :)

How does DS/PSP fit in all this, because SE is making a mint on the DS.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Chris Michael said:
Um, yes. That's basically been the case with all his games. It doesn't matter if it's common ****ing logic that it'll sell way better on Wii/DS, Kitase doesn't want ANYTHING touching Nintendo systems. A FFVII remake, Agito, and Dissidia would unarguably sell so much better on the DS, maybe even millions... yet Dissidia is on the PSP, Agito is on CELL PHONES, and instead of moving on with a FFVII remake for the DS (which would not only make sense, but would sell crazy too), SE decides to remake IV, which can already be played on the system. :|

So... in short, no, even if it would clearly sell better, whatever Kitase says goes, and I can sure as hell tell you now he won't have any of his property gracing a Ninty system.
So you're saying Kitase will be getting Kutaragi'ed soon?

Sharp

Neomoto said:
It's a Wonderful World
Final Fantasy IV

Itadaki Street DS
After getting rid of all the Enix games and all the already-released games that I can think of, I am left with these games. From this it becomes clear that while they're certainly not releasing many ports, they're mostly doing spinoffs. Ignoring games like Itadaki Street that are clearly pure cash-ins, I count only four original titles: Chocobo Tales, IaWW, FFTA2 and FFCC. Now, I could be wrong on this, but... that's actually pretty good support. I guess.

Sorry guys I was wrong actually! They just didn't announce anything new at the SE event so it looked like they were ignoring the DS!

nli10

I really don't understand all the fuss over the Final Fantasy cutscenes of boy/girls with really detailed hair games. I played a couple to the end in the pre-CGI days and well they bored me.

I know that they sell consistantly to the softcore gamers (people who buy a single game series religiously and little else - usually FF, ProEvo, Madden etc.) but heck it's not really enough to base a sucessful console around. I'd rather that Squ-Enix devoted themsleves to making some new IP stuff, something that sold because it was great and not just because of the brand-name (or side quest of a brand-name) on the box.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Presenting the NEW Mario timeline; has Moku's updated numbers, non-squished sprites, funny side-text from Eddz, NeoGAF in the title, and a currently updated date. The font is Georgia. The image is public; if you edit this, do not add your name to the image.

mario_history.png

If you want to be able to update this in the future, PLEASE download the PSD file HERE. Save it only as a PNG file to avoid JPG artifacts.

Also, does anyone have sales numbers for Super Mario Land 3 GB, or Yoshi's Island SFC? They aren't on here presumably because they are lower, but it'd be nice to get them to include in the list at the top.

Eteric Rice

Souldriver said:

So I could see why SE sees the playstation gens as their best ones. But hey, I guess every generation has it's opportunities, like DQ on DS OMGWTFITSGONNARAPEJAPAN.

Haha, yeah. I have to wonder; though, about the fact that Sony is ramping up their first party support. Now, just like they would with Nintendo, they'll have to compete with Sony.

Really, I think they might as well just split support up. I wouldn't miss FF on the Wii, but I would like a series equally as awesome (DQX, new IP maybe?).

Who knows?

soundwave05 said:

- Squaresoft went to Yamauchi and told him they'd have to put FF7 on the Playstation because of Nintendo's cart-only choice. Yamauchi was OK with that.

- Squaresoft then lobbied behind the scenes on Sony's behalf to take Dragon Quest VII away from Nintendo and apparently made some public comments about Nintendo. This burned bridges and Yamauchi then made his rant about Japanese players only playing games in dark rooms by themselves (lol).

- The FF movie flopped, Squaresoft needed a GBA license bad, but Yamauchi told them to go shove it.

- Squaresoft fires their president, replaces him with a more Nintendo-friendly guy. He got the GBA license deal done along with the FF:CC deal.

Fixed. And it was actually when Squaresoft felt that FF IV-VI would be impossible to recreate on the Wonderswan Color that they wanted to develop them for the GBA.

Relations have also improved thanks to Iwata becoming the new president of Nintendo. Right now the only hardass seems to be Kawase from the Square-Enix side.

cartman414 said:
Fixed. And it was actually when Squaresoft felt that FF IV-VI would be impossible to recreate on the Wonderswan Color that they wanted to develop them for the GBA.

Relations have also improved thanks to Iwata becoming the new president of Nintendo. Right now the only hardass seems to be Kawase from the Square-Enix side.

Lets be honest though -- Square never wanted to be on the Wonderswan, they were forced into it because they stepped on Yamauchi's cape instead of gracefully bowing out.

They thought in 1996/97 when they mouthed off Nintendo that it was curtains for Nintendo ... they underestimated Pokemon, which reignited the GB market and were kicking themselves likely for years before that. In '96 when a lot of this stuff was happening, a lot of people thought the Game Boy brand was done for, and with Square riding Sony's dick, they probably figured they didn't need Nintendo period.

Mrbob

Eteric Rice said:
Haha, yeah. I have to wonder; though, about the fact that Sony is ramping up their first party support. Now, just like they would with Nintendo, they'll have to compete with Sony.

Really, I think they might as well just split support up. I wouldn't miss FF on the Wii, but I would like a series equally as awesome (DQX, new IP maybe?).

Who knows?

Yeah I think it is obvious Sony is starting to look after themselves instead of third parties. Look at how they are ramping up first party production. They probably noticed that Nintendo was making profits by selling as little as 20 million consoles, and now will rake in HUGE profits by selling 60-80 million consoles.

I wonder how wary this makes 3rd parties. There could be a time down the road where both Nintendo and Sony consoles are both selling 60-100 million units worldwide, but the first parties will be eating up the lions share of the profits and leaving the scraps to third parties.

jj984jj said:
How long did it take GCN to track under 10k?
Again going by Famitsu... week 5.

2001-10-08: 8,538

It then bounced back up a bit, and the next time it was under 10K was

2002-04-15: 7,603

Kenka said:
*shrug* Regardless of their actions, Nintendo has become more powerful than ever.

laserbeam

Banned
soundwave05 said:

- The FF movie flopped, Sony needed a GBA license bad, but Yamauchi told them to go shove it.

Classic Yamauchi. The guy was downright ruthless when he had to be

SE didn't seem to mind a dominant Sony too much.

The Final Fantasy series selling most during its PS1 and 2 installments attributes largely to the fact that the series exploded with 7 for the PS1.

Parl

As amazing as Iwata is, Yamauchi is even more amazing. I think Iwata-san is better for Nintendo at the moment, but Yamauchi is pure kick ass. He's a god.

Eteric Rice

Parl said:
As amazing as Iwata is, Yamauchi is even more amazing. I think Iwata-san is better for Nintendo at the moment, but Yamauchi is pure kick ass. He's a god.

He's like the video game equivilant of Darth Vader. :lol

ksamedi

Revenge can be sweet sometimes and im pretty sure that the Nintendo staff is having a damn good time with people begging them for mercy. They must have had a pretty rough time with the Gamecube or even the N64 days. Now its there turn to make the calls. Besides, Nintendo made the DS and the Wii succesfull with only there own games. Square can support whoever they want, its not like the DS or Wii will stop selling and Nintendo knows this.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Nintendo is not more powerful, they¡re just driving the current industry of gaming. Others can only play catch up. Square Enix knows, that's why they're making DS style, and that's why they're making money on the system meanwhile other developers not.

ksamedi said:
Revenge can be sweet sometimes and im pretty sure that the Nintendo staff is having a damn good time with people begging them for mercy. They must have had a pretty rough time with the Gamecube or even the N64 days. Now its there turn to make the calls. Besides, Nintendo made the DS and the Wii succesfull with only there own games. Square can support whoever they want, its not like the DS or Wii will stop selling and Nintendo knows this.

Actually.... no, they had never trouble. They just hadn't had the sales they wanted, but they only has been losing money during six months, those which implied the Wii R&D cost. So they have not suffered much as they were the company which was winning more money in the industry :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Deku said:
According to Kohler's book, S-E was the one who decided to publish exclusively on the PS after they switched FFVII to PlayStation.

What book is that?

1-D_FTW said:
Yes. What if the yen began kicking the dollar's ass tomorrow? And the currency conversion made 500,000 the equivalent of 650 dollars. Would the PS3 suddenly be a lot more expensive for the Japanese public? No. It'd still cost them 500,000 yen.

PS3 seems to be a lot more expensive than I thought in Japan :lol

Top Bottom