• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/14 - 5/20

apujanata said:
Can you do a similar graphic, but instead of paralelling the months of the year, you start from launch (even if it is limited launch, like NES). And include other console, such as Sony's and MSFT's.

I would like to see how the first few months of sales stack up, since my data does not go way back (to NES, SNES era).

Here you go, the cumulative sales of every major console:
There's still alotta questions about early NES sales and especially early GEN sales (sales range from 15,000 to 400,000 in 1989 and even larger fluctations for 1990) I believe SNES is fairly accurate b/c NPD reported 1.5m sold by Feb. 92 while I can't find early NPD sales reports for NES & GEN. If there are they are only included in their monthly toy sales b/c NPD didn't report video games separately from toy sales until ~1994(?).

Yeah it's alittle confusing but there's alotta important data here:
521098663_2f6f49abe7_o.png

Wii is leading all previous consoles sales at this point!!:D I had not realized Wii has been consistantly ahead of PS2!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
sphinx said:
wow, amazing. N64 holds the record for the biggest selling system into its 3rd month.
The N64 sold amazingly well until about mid-late 1999, when developer support died off.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it was almost neck and neck with the PS in North America in early 1999.

The scary thing about the Wii is, the line is practically linear. it suggests that either
A: Supply is fulfilling Demand, but demand isn't changing at all
B: Supply is not fulfilling demand, and monthly allocations are relatively similar across each month.

Anyways, why are we discussing US sales in a japanese sales thread?

justchris

GaimeGuy said:
The N64 sold amazingly well until about mid-late 1999, when developer support died off.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it was almost neck and neck with the PS in North America in early 1999.

Anyways, why are we discussing US sales in a japanese sales thread?

Because US sales affect developer support, which in turn affects Japanese sales.

At least, that's the excuse we're going with.

GaimeGuy

Jokeropia said:
N64 sold very well in USA period. 20+ million is nothing to scoff at.
It was closer to 30 million than 20 million, and I'm almost positive it's closer to 30 million than 25 million. (may have even surpassed 30 million, in fact)

Jokeropia

GaimeGuy said:
It was closer to 30 million than 20 million, and I'm almost positive it's closer to 30 million than 25 million. (may have even surpassed 30 million, in fact)
32 million worldwide, 20 million in USA.

Anyway yeah, shouldn't we have gotten the Famitsu top ten (without numbers) by now?

GaimeGuy

Jokeropia said:
32 million worldwide, 20 million in USA.

Anyway yeah, shouldn't we have gotten the Famitsu top ten (without numbers) by now?
There is no way the N64 sold 12 million in Europe and Japan.

What's your source on this?

GaimeGuy said:

Official N64 Shipment data:
NA - 20.78m
PAL - 6.75m
JP - 5.54m
WW - 33.07m

DarkMehm

GaimeGuy said:
There is no way the N64 sold 12 million in Europe and Japan.

What's your source on this?

Nintendo shipped 5,5 million to Japan and 6,75 million to "Others" (Europe and some other countries).

Edit: too late. :/

GaimeGuy

Square2005 said:
NA - 20.78m
PAL - 6.75m
JP - 5.54m
WW - 33.07m
Official, huh?

I could have sworn it was around 27-30 million in NA, and around 35 million worldwide.

oh well. Thanks

apujanata

BrodiemanTTR said:
Vinnk, I don't know if you live near one of those fabled Japanese megastores we see pictures of on the Internet, but have you ever seen a copy of Sin and Punishment for N64?

Is it possible that Sin and Punishment 64 might be available as VC game (for Wii) in the future ?

apujanata

Square2005 said:
NA - 20.78m
PAL - 6.75m
JP - 5.54m
WW - 33.07m

M-create sales of N64 is only 3,785,440 (in my data sheet). Is my data wrong, or are there 1.8 million unsold N64 in Japan ?

TJ Spyke

The game was developed by Treasure (who is very friendly with Nintendo) and published by Nintendo, and was not a licensed game, so the chances are pretty high. Whether or not it will get released outside of Japan is another story.

apujanata said:
M-create sales of N64 is only 3,785,440 (in my data sheet). Is my data wrong, or are there 1.8 million unsold N64 in Japan ?

FAmitsu shows 2.96m sold so m-c was better able to track Nintendo sales than long-time sales tracker Famitsu.
Famitsu also showed 5.84m GBCs sold while 11.86m were shipped...

Both undertracked big time for HW back then.
Walmart effect!?!:D

nli10

Square2005 said:
FAmitsu shows 2.96m sold so m-c was better able to track Nintendo sales than long-time sales tracker Famitsu.
Famitsu also showed 5.84m GBCs sold while 11.86m were shipped...

Both undertracked big time for HW back then.
Walmart effect!?!:D

Damn shoplifters... :D

I think this week this is the Japanese Culture/Any Sales Data thread :)

milanbaros

Member?
apujanata said:

I think m-create and famitsu were a lot less accurate tracking sales, which makes you wonder about some of the software data we use from that period for things like FF and Mario or are they based on official shipment data?

jimbo

Banned
bmf said:
Credit should go where credit is due. This thread is 30 pages thanks to Vinnk's wonderful news, and to jimbo's love for trolling, and everyone that took his bait.

Vinnk's news was welcome, but I for one truly hope that jimbo, whether he's some mod's joke character, or is in fact exactly as he appears, never returns.

Trolling, wtf?

I think you need to look up the deffinition of trolling before you start throwing that word around. Me arguing about sales predictions is not trolling.

You making crap up like that is trolling ME. You sound like one of those fanatics that get obsessed with certain posters for them disagreeing with you. It's happened before around here.

jimbo said:
Trolling, wtf?

I think you need to look up the deffinition of trolling before you start throwing that word around. Me arguing about sales predictions is not trolling.

You making crap up like that is trolling ME. You sound like one of those fanatics that get obsessed with certain posters for them disagreeing with you. It's happened before around here.

I thought you couldn't predict sales?

d[-_-]b

Banned
jimbo said:
Trolling, wtf?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling
here you go looked up for you.
Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

Guy: "I just found the coolest ninja pencil in existence."
Other Guy: "I just found the most retarded thread in existence."

I'm sorry I know we should talk numbers here but I noticed some quotes from PS3forums in this thread I had to do this, its somthing I had to do......

gurry said:
I know the PS3 is true. It is the only true technology in the world. I wish the world could know it's true and stop using all computers and other game machines because the PS3 is better and more perfect and powerful then all technology for the next 10 years. Sony has shown the true way of the Cell and Blu-Ray and RSX. All these technologies are better and more perfect then all other technology in the world.

If you buy a PC or a 360 or a Wii then you do not understand truth or science or technology because the PS3 is the most perfect and can replace any PC at anything. The true facts is the PS3 is better for graphics and fun then even Intel Quad Core and 8900GTX with 4GB Ram. No technology will be better then PS3 for graphics for at least 10 years because of Cell and RSX. These are true facts. To know them please go to www.playstation.com.

and then when someone replies saying it wont last 10 years.

gurry said:
Yes there is. The PS3 will lead all graphics for at least 10 years because of Cell and RSX and BR. These are facts. Go to www.playstation.com to know the perfect truth from Sony. Sony has truth of technology for the world. All other technology is false and horrible.

One thing you should know is it is not too much to help people see the truth of Sony and the false of Nintendo and Microsoft and computers. All other technology is not superior and is horrible lies compared to Sony technology and PS3. These are facts of the world.

I'm sorry I won't do this ever again but I had to. (Well I didn't)

nli10

Wiki said:
In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who intentionally posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics in an established online community such as an online discussion forum to bait users into responding.
Wiki Description

Someone who phrases their posts ambiguously as to enrage people and then explains 'what I actually meant was...' is usually termed a baiter/Troll Bait/flame bait (or a Billy Goat in keepeing with the Troll theme) - lots of both of those seem to go on here at GAF, I do try to ignore it and only correct people when they are factually incorrect and not when I disagree with their opinions.

wiki later on said:
A troll is a person who approaches a board with the specific intention of stirring things up, either as a goal in and of itself or as a means of attacking the board perhaps motivated by opposition to the ethos of the board. For example, a neo-Nazi approaching a Jewish forum with the intention of attacking the members, purely because the neo-Nazi knows the forum to contain Jewish members, will be considered a troll.

So it'd be like me going into a Final Fantasy thread, asking about hte game and then going off on how much I dislike that kind of game, knowing full well from the outset that FF & KH are things that I dislike with a passion. Or popping in a single format thread to bash them.

Only just realised these threads are posted at 3am UK time - looks like I'm getting up in the middle of the night to check then :( :D

jimbo

Banned
nli10 said:
Wiki Description

Someone who phrases their posts ambiguously as to enrage people and then explains 'what I actually meant was...' is usually termed a baiter/Troll Bait/flame bait (or a Billy Goat in keepeing with the Troll theme) - lots of both of those seem to go on here at GAF, I do try to ignore it and only correct people when they are factually incorrect and not when I disagree with their opinions.

Only just realised these threads are posted at 3am UK time - looks like I'm getting up in the middle of the night to check then :( :D

Unfortunatelly, not enough people do that. It seems if you disagree with a majority opinion, no matter the reason, the logic or the explanation.....you're entitled to one of these:

015.jpg

jimbo said:
Unfortunatelly, not enough people do that. It seems if you disagree with a majority opinion, no matter the reason, the logic or the explanation.....you're entitled to one of these:

You're not entitled to an incorrect stance and then claim amnesty because it's an opinion.

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 May 21-27 07
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/05/30/103,1180519097,72574,0,0.html

1. Kekkaishi: Tale of the Raven Forest (DS)
2. Bleach: Heat the Soul 4 (PSP)
3. Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War (PSP)
4. Wii Sports (Wii)
5. Lucky Star Moé Drill: Travel (DS)
6. More English Training (DS)
7. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
8. More Brain Training (DS)
9. Kurikin: Nano Island Story (DS)
10. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS)
Oh, didn't see Kekkaishi coming. Weird to have Lucky Star 3 spots lower than Bleach (first day were 20k for both)...I wonder if Famitsu isn't counting the DX pack (that would really weird since they even put pokemon games together).

More English Training gaining strength, sadly. I'd keep an eye on Kurikin...its a weird game from Nintendo afterall, we don't know when the next fad will be born :lol

fernoca

ziran said:

4. Wii Sports (Wii)

Hmmm...
2 PSP and 1 Wii title on the Nintendo DS Top 10 Selling Chart...I guess is just a typo. :D

ziran said:

4. Wii Sports (Wii)

It seems that New Super Mario Bros. has all the intentions to become the best selling Mario game ever in Japan.....

test_account

XP-39C²
Damn.. New Super Mario Bros must be good. I want a DS and the game so i can play it :(

Actually i have both hehe, but its in a NES 20 years limited edition pack that contains a DS Lite, a DS Lite carry/protection bag, New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros GBA Classics. Since i'm a collector i want to keep this one brand new :)

Uhm, call me slow but I just noticed that #1, #2 and #3 last week have disappeared! That is Shining Wind, Ouendan 2 and Odin Sphere! Seriously, wtf happened here.

I went to sinobi blog for some answers...

Kekkaishi & Bleach - ~40k
Lucky Star - ~25k
Kurikin (and a new PS2 game) - ~20k

DS 130k
Wii 60k
PSP 25k

Hammer24 said:
No new numbers/thread yet?!
does no one read the first post?
figure your own timezone from there - http://www.worldtimezone.com/ (useful for all those "Japan time" people as it shows the entire world at it's current time)
test_account said:
Damn.. New Super Mario Bros must be good. I want a DS and the game so i can play it :(

Actually i have both hehe, but its in a NES 20 years limited edition pack that contains a DS Lite, a DS Lite carry/protection bag, New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros GBA Classics. Since i'm a collector i want to keep this one brand new :)
yeah, I'm going to have to ask for a picture of this because it sounds cool.

Weren't Ouendan and Odin Sphere pretty much sold out last week, I think I remember them both selling 90%+ of their initial shipment. Maybe it's a case of being that bit slower to restock.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
test_account said:

that sounds pretty cool, do you have a pic of the packaging?

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Uhm, call me slow but I just noticed that #1, #2 and #3 last week have disappeared! That is Shining Wind, Ouendan 2 and Odin Sphere! Seriously, wtf happened here.

Hardcore gaming FTL.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I went to sinobi blog for some answers...

Kekkaishi & Bleach - ~40k
Lucky Star - ~25k
Kurikin (and a new PS2 game) - ~20k

DS 130k
Wii 60k
PSP 25k

A slow week for the software, but not so slow for the hardware. DS Lite is still over 100k...since how much time?

Chibbi Brady said:
Weren't Ouendan and Odin Sphere pretty much sold out last week, I think I remember them both selling 90%+ of their initial shipment. Maybe it's a case of being that bit slower to restock.
I really hope so :(

Btw, didn't say it earlier but it seems DX version shortage hurt Lucky Star and they are preparing a new shipment of that version. I'll try a second round of sinobi info...(there may be some errors...).

Kekkaishi ~40k
Bleach ~40k
Lucky Star ~25k (DX version sold out)
Kurikin ~20k (near sellout)
Pachinko Ultraman - ~20k (near sellout)
Forza 2 - 10k
Hoshigami - 5k
Touch Detective 2½ - 3k
Jissen Pachislo Hisshou-hou! Sammy's Collection: Fist of the North Star Wii - 2k

And NBA Homecourt seems to continue Madden NFL 07 legacy...:lol

Top Bottom