• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/21 - 5/27

TJ Spyke said:
Wow, was that the largest single week for a game in Japan? Has any game (and I stress game, not combining 2 Pokemon games) ever sold 1 million in Japan in any single week?

Joke Post!?
The first game to sell over a million in, not one week, but just in two days, was Dragon Quest IV at 1.3million and that was in 1990!

FFVIII sold 2.5 million in three days in 1999 and still holds the record in Japan and worldwide for the fastest selling title.

This is nothing new in Japan; it's new outside Japan (to sell 1m+ opening week)...

Mardak

cvxfreak said:
Slow week. Lots of unknown titles there too.

Indeed. The last few weeks has been slow for everything.

20070521.png

20070521.pub.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's now been more than a month since the PS3 has had a game in the top 30, and around two and a half months since it's had a game in the top 10. Ouch.

KINGMOKU

Stumpokapow said:
It's now been more than a month since the PS3 has had a game in the top 30, and around two and a half months since it's had a game in the top 10. Ouch.
Thats not whats amazing to me. Not in the least.

It's game developers staying on the ship. It really is shocking if you think about it.

You had devs bailing out left and right with the N64, and devs that pretended the Gamecube didnt even exist. The PS3 is below the Gamecube totals in the U.S. and Japan, yet they stay, and even announce new games.

That's what is amazing to me.

Eteric Rice said:
That reminds me... We haven't heard anything more about No More Heroes. :|

When the name was changed, I almost flipped out thinking the article was talking about the game being canceled O_O

Wiitard

Banned
moku said:

It's game developers staying on the ship. It really is shocking if you think about it.

You had devs bailing out left and right with the N64, and devs that pretended the Gamecube didnt even exist. The PS3 is below the Gamecube totals in the U.S. and Japan, yet they stay, and even announce new games.

What, what, what? Who is staying? Who is announcing new PS3 games?

Eteric Rice said:
That reminds me... We haven't heard anything more about No More Heroes. :|
hopefully at e3, it's supposed to come out this year isn't it

hopefully we'll hear more about suda's other wii project
SNATCHER BLEVEIE

RiskyChris said:
When the name was changed, I almost flipped out thinking the article was talking about the game being canceled O_O
:lol I think that happened with everyone

Eteric Rice

moku said:

I'm assuming those games were probably in the works for quite a while.

moku said:

Well, I think that was to be expected. Sony is now just leaving two generations where they had managed to dominate overwhelmingly. I suppose it's a bit hard to change allegiances after a decade of being programmed to develop for Sony. Further, Sony has been far friendlier to third parties than Nintendo was in the N64 days.

Also, Nintendo has marketed their console as unorthodox and supposedly, a brand new audience is picking up the Wii in droves. That pretty much requires the development of new IPs to cater to this mini-game Alpha Mom crowd. With the way Nintendo has marketed the Wii, I don't think it's reasonable to expect third parties to be supporting in ways that people would generally hope or expect for.

moku said:

brand power, sony still has it..... nintendo didn't after the n64

Innotech

Banned
moku said:

I really honestly do think people have it out for nintendo. It was the same way for Sega. I dont ****ing understand it and probably never will.

duderon said:
Famitsu had it at 9000+, so it may go up from last week.
Obligatory: It's over 9000!

Rancid Mildew said:
Also, Nintendo has marketed their console as unorthodox and supposedly, a brand new audience is picking up the Wii in droves. That pretty much requires the development of new IPs to cater to this mini-game Alpha Mom crowd. With the way Nintendo has marketed the Wii, I don't think it's reasonable to expect third parties to be supporting in ways that people would generally hope or expect for.

I think there's a bit of a disconnect there. Nintendo knows what it's core audience is, and it's not leaving them. The thing is, it knows that the casual audience is a lot bigger, and in order to take the lead, they have to have both. That's the reason that they've divided their advertising and specifically targeted the expanded audience. They know that the publishers are watching the industry with a sharp eye, and they know that we, and the rest of the hardcore audience is watching closely. What they need to do is make sure that the Alpha Moms and whatnot are seeing what they do to.

You should have no doubts that - assuming that the sales trends continue as they have been for the last 6 months or so - Nintendo will have the majority of the 3rd party support this generation.

rs7k

moku said:

I think it's because there's still a chance PS3 gains a significant presence in the U.S. I don't know what the hell is going on in Japan, but I can't believe almost nodoby gives a crap about HD consoles, especially with a much cheaper PS3. What a weird country :lol PS3 and 360 are definitely a lost cause. I don't see FFXIII saving the PS3, it's been doing 8k weekly...

With that said, the PS3 needs to get a decent userbase out of Japan if Japanese developers are going to announce more titles in the future. I think every publisher has their fingers crossed for a price drop in the U.S., because otherwise, well who knows what will happen? I wasn't expecting much support for the 360 in the first place, although Capcom has had success.

It pretty much seems that franchises destined for next-gen (think ZOE or Silent Hill) will be multiplatform as a default. In that case, 360 owners would benefit from increasing PS3 sales, and PS3 owners would benefit from 360 sales. Just because you have to add both up to get a large market. The Wii is a monster. It's fun and revolutionary, yet scary at the same time.

apujanata

Square2005 said:
Joke Post!?
The first game to sell over a million in, not one week, but just in two days, was Dragon Quest IV at 1.3million and that was in 1990!

FFVIII sold 2.5 million in three days in 1999 and still holds the record in Japan and worldwide for the fastest selling title.

This is nothing new in Japan; it's new outside Japan (to sell 1m+ opening week)...

Hmm. Interesting. I don't have data for FF8 and DQ4. Is your data based on Famitsu, or based on M-create ?

I think the two days for DQ4 is because some of the main DQ software was released on Saturday, which means the first two days are the same as the first week (since the time is from Monday to Sunday). DQ8 are released in Saturday, but DQ5 is released on Friday.

KINGMOKU

Innotech said:
I really honestly do think people have it out for nintendo. It was the same way for Sega. I dont ****ing understand it and probably never will.
You have to think that at this point. Maybe some devs just wont forget/forgive when Nintendo was the boss.

You's think that with it setting U.S. sales records, devs would be clamoring to be the first to let the people know, "Hey, we got shit lined up!"

But nope.

You also have devs making wierd ass remarks. You have Manhunt2 hitting the Wii, yet Konami doesnt think Silent Hill works for the system?

Yeah, that makes sense. Put it out, see what happens.

Just bamboozled by the whole thing.

Eteric Rice

moku said:
You have to think that at this point. Maybe some devs just wont forget/forgive when Nintendo was the boss.

You's think that with it setting U.S. sales records, devs would be clamoring to be the first to let the people know, "Hey, we got shit lined up!"

But nope.

You also have devs making wierd ass remarks. You have Manhunt2 hitting the Wii, yet Konami doesnt think Silent Hill works for the system?

Yeah, that makes sense. Put it out, see what happens.

Just bamboozled by the whole thing.

Maybe our devs are in denial? Eh? :D

That, or projects are lined up. We likely wouldn't know about them just yet.

Innotech

Banned
It makes me wonder, what exactly was meant by "many developers are shifting focus to the wii" in Japan. When will this focus become apparent?

Wiitard

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Maybe our devs are in denial? Eh? :D

That, or projects are lined up. We likely wouldn't know about them just yet.

What the **** are you guys talking about? Where are those devs placing any kind of new bets on PS3 or even 360 in the past 3-4 months?

They are just trying to finish HD games and come up with justifications for bad bets made int the past. Seriously, which HD games we know of had been started after the Wii launch?

bmf said:
I think there's a bit of a disconnect there. Nintendo knows what it's core audience is, and it's not leaving them. The thing is, it knows that the casual audience is a lot bigger, and in order to take the lead, they have to have both. That's the reason that they've divided their advertising and specifically targeted the expanded audience. They know that the publishers are watching the industry with a sharp eye, and they know that we, and the rest of the hardcore audience is watching closely. What they need to do is make sure that the Alpha Moms and whatnot are seeing what they do to.

You should have no doubts that - assuming that the sales trends continue as they have been for the last 6 months or so - Nintendo will have the majority of the 3rd party support this generation.

I can't speak for American developers but at least in Japan, seeing the only two Wii successes being Wii Sports and Wii Play cannot be encouraging. I think we'll need to wait for a really successful hardcore Wii game before we see developer acceptance of the situation. Further, it's pretty obvious that Nintendo has gone through a huge paradigm shift. Even though Nintendo says they cater to the core audience as well, it's clear that from things like Kaplan's interview and the Wii's marketing approach, Nintendo is cultivating a growing disregard for the hardcore. The entire Wii philosophy all the way down to the hardware and appearance is sort of alienating as well. Apparently I'm not the only one who feels the same way. Ubisoft is releasing a carnival game and the SH5 developers think it's a grandmother console.

I have no doubt that Nintendo will see further sales successes for a very long time but once there are significant price drops on its competitors, that may be enough to keep third party support away. I just don't think there is much confidence that a traditional game will thrive on the console.

Odysseus

Banned
the talk of 360 maybe passing ps3 the week of trusty bell is a complete yawnfest

one dying console hypothetically and only temporarily passing another dying console

wake me up when either is relevant to the market

Rancid Mildew said:
I can't speak for American developers but at least in Japan, seeing the only two Wii successes being Wii Sports and Wii Play cannot be encouraging. I think we'll need to wait for a really successful hardcore Wii game before we see developer acceptance of the situation. Further, it's pretty obvious that Nintendo has gone through a huge paradigm shift. Even though Nintendo says they cater to the core audience as well, it's clear that from things like Kaplan's interview and the Wii's marketing approach, Nintendo is cultivating a growing disregard for the hardcore. The entire Wii philosophy all the way down to the hardware and appearance is sort of alienating as well. Apparently I'm not the only one who feels the same way. Ubisoft is releasing a carnival game and the SH5 developers think it's a grandmother console.

I have no doubt that Nintendo will see further sales successes for a very long time but once there are significant price drops on its competitors, that may be enough to keep third party support away. I just don't think there is much confidence that a traditional game will thrive on the console.

But nothing has been successful on 360/PS3 in Japan...

lupin23rd

I think most devs bailed on the N64 and to a lesser extend GameCube even before they were even launched. There was a lot of upside to the PS3 and I believe there still is. Nobody is going to just stop their projects dead this early in the game, even if sales are low (thanks to those projects not being out in the first place - yeah the dreaded cycle). I think some people need to get over this fact.

Do you guys ever stop to think that maybe devs don't want to make certain games on Wii? It's simple to look at numbers, and assume that stockholders are game designers and get to decide everything, but if the dude making SH5 DOESN'T WANT TO PUT IT ON WII, or rather WANTS TO PUT IT ON PS3/360 then it's probably not going to be on Wii.

I'm glad to see Nintendo back in the driver's seat too, but jesus christ guys. Boggles the mind sometimes...

m

ccbfan

I think a lot of devs don't want Nintendo to win.

Nintendo wasn't exactly the nicest during their rule which was a reason why so many devs so eagerly jumped shipped to sony with the N64.

Now devs are again worried about nintendo ruling with an iron fist. Nintendo was pretty crappy to everyone but enix during the nes and snes days. Many probably still hold a grudge and maybe rightfully so. Like they say, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
ccbfan said:
I think a lot of devs don't want Nintendo to win.

Nintendo wasn't exactly the nicest during their rule which was a reason why so many devs so eagerly jumped shipped to sony with the N64.

Now devs are again worried about nintendo ruling with an iron fist. Nintendo was pretty crappy to everyone but enix during the nes and snes days. Many probably still hold a grudge and maybe rightfully so. Like they say, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Yamauchi =! Iwata

Innotech

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:

and yet Ubisoft has two near million sellers on it. Third party software can easily sell on wii if developers actually TRY and the game is compelling enough. the problem is all nintendo fans ever seem to see on their system is a lot of garbage from third party that doesnt take the system seriously, and we sure as hell arent buying that garbage just to make publishers happy. We want good quality games, same as any other fans. Give us those games, and theres a good chance sales will follow. Nintendo is a great developer but they are far from the only ones gaining my interests. I already have Dewey, Boogie, NiGHTs2, Mario and sonic Olympics, and plans to get more like no more Heroes, Zack and wiki, and Ill be looking lcosesly at whats unveiled at E3. All it takes is a developer that believes in the system enough to make compelling software for it. It doesnt have to be gorgeous, but it has to show some effort. It has to be seen as something worthwhile of purchase. But nintendo consoles these days rarely see this sort of focus. the hardware is capable of handling some pretty interesting visuals. Its cheap to develop for, and wii owners are happy to buy into good third party games so MAKE SOME EFFORT AND MAKE SOME GAMES DEVS. It really isnt too much to ask is it?

It's also been 10 goddamn years. This is business, for christ's sake.

Edit: Also, if they make games I like, I buy them. I got Tales of Symphonia and Viewtiful Joe for GC last gen.

I'm planning to get Guilty Gear, and I got Trauma Center. Make more titles of that quality, and I'll spend my scant dollars on ye. I got my eye on Soul Calibur Legends, too.

Top Bottom