• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 5/5 - 5/11

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mike Works said:
you joke, but in 5 years when Japan launches WW3, their citizens are going to be superior to us in communications (English Training), tactics (Brain Training), combat (Crossbow Training), and Dinosaur Necromancy (We're Fossil Diggers)

we're already doomed

Its that last one that really worries me. Samurai on T-rexes? We would be fucked

Linkup

Hcoregamer00 said:
Considering a couple of things about this game
-A big budget RPG
-Tailored for a Japanese audience with a very Japanese artstyle and gameplay
-Different spin on the Strategy RPG subgenre
-Good heritage (people from Skies of Arcadia and Sakura Taisen)
-Lots of coverage on Famitsu.com
-Released when there are no other quality RPG's to compete with (WKS and FF13 is a long ways away)

The sales don't look bad, they look TERRIBLE.

Valkyria Chronicles was a big budget RPG? Do we actually know how long SEGA worked on it and how big the staff was?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
HK-47 said:
Geez, dont have an aneurysm over something that was obviously gonna happen...

Yeah, it is just me but I want a good sega game to do well.

Good and sega don't go well together nowadays and when it does, it doe not sell as much as it should (see VF5 and Yakuza 3)

schuelma said:
Ok, but its still a new IP on a floundering system where software sales are generally extremely poor. It should have done better no doubt, but I can't really be surprised given the install base...I mean its already like the 11th best selling game on the PS3.

True, I even said many times before the game would be release that I expected it to sell well. I guess deep down inside I just wanted it to succeed where Skies didn't in Japan.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
schuelma said:
Ok, but its still a new IP on a floundering system where software sales are generally extremely poor. It should have done better no doubt, but I can't really be surprised given the install base..I mean its already like the 11th best selling game on the PS3.

You make some good points. But didn't have the makings of a breakout hit, though?

Gaborn

fernoca said:
I think the consoles-chart is..from the prior week...

obviously he'll add the new chart in when the new hardware numbers are released. It says in the OP also that hardware numbers are released on thursday (in addition to the date of the chart being clearly visible as the previous week) personally I think this was a FANTASTIC decision by cvxfreak, only possible better suggestion would be to convince cheesemeister to do the famitsu hardware chart as a temporary substitute so we have current week hardware numbers until media create's numbers are released.

MisterHero

Mike Works said:
you joke, but in 5 years when Japan launches WW3, their citizens are going to be superior to us in communications (English Training), tactics (Brain Training), combat (Crossbow Training), and Dinosaur Necromancy (We're Fossil Diggers)

we're already doomed
You fat lazy Americans had Crossbow Training for months, don't blame them if you lose WW3.

Opiate

Linkup said:
Valkyria Chronicles was a big budget RPG? Do we actually know how long SEGA worked on it and how big the staff was?

No, but if you have played or seen the game, the production values are readily apparent.

For example, no one really knows the budget of Iron Man, but it's reasonable to assume based on historical precedent and personal experience that it was well in excess of 100 million. The same thing applies here: unless Sega has magic hands that produce tech of this quality in 1/3 the time as everyone, this game is "big" but not "huge," which is a descriptor reserved for FF XIII, GT5, Killzone 2, and perhaps a handful of other PS3 titles.

PolyGone

Banned
Linkup said:

budget shouldn't have anything to do with its success... in any case, I agree that it sucks it didn't jump straight to the top. It looks like a very cool game.

Perdew said:
I'd be cautious of actually wanting to see S&P sales figures though... I love it too much to be hurt. Same goes for Ikaruga, though I have a feeling sold better (16:10 tate support go go go! Seriously, buy a rotating monitor, it's wonderful).

yah I actually used the tate mode on my old sd set with my gamecube. It was an old tv so I didn't care when the colors got all fucked up on one side of it. :)

anyway, I know the sales probably aren't great but it would just be interesting to know

Acosta

Mike Works said:

we're already doomed

No worries, USA future army is training with Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, they will win again. Japanese soldiers will have motion sickness and will be defeated.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Opiate said:
No, but if you have played or seen the game, the production values are readily apparent.

For example, no one really knows the budget of Iron Man, but it's reasonable to assume based on historical precedent and personal experience that it was well in excess of 100 million. The same thing applies here: unless Sega has magic hands that produce tech of this quality in 1/3 the time as everyone, this game is "big" but not "huge," which is a descriptor reserved for FF XIII, GT5, Killzone 2, and perhaps a handful of other PS3 titles.

Yup, couldn't say it better myself.

The cell shading of Valkyria looks high end, and hopefully it gets refined and reused in other games.

Is Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G single-handedly pushing the incredible PSP sales in Japan, or is pirating at the heart of those hardware sales?

jibblypop

Banned
Acosta said:
No worries, USA future army is training with Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, they will win again. Japanese soldiers will have motion sickness and will be defeated.

Yes but the injured Japanese will use a super potion and then summon some sort of demon with brains all over it's body. That will win it all.

MisterHero

Acosta said:
However, they will fire-bomb the terrain and force you into hand-to-hand combat.

And every soldier knows the Shun-Goku-Satsu.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
MisterHero said:
However, they will fire-bomb the terrain and force you into hand-to-hand combat.

And every soldier knows the Shun-Goku-Satsu.

We need Capt Falcon to teach our young warriors in the Way of the Punching Falcon

HK-47 said:
We need Capt Falcon to teach our young warriors in the Way of the Punching Falcon

We don't need captain falcon, we know the art of killing someone instantly by touching them with a knife from CoD4. Also, Gears of War taught us how to smash heads and use chainsaws.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Linkzg said:
We don't need captain falcon, we know the art of killing someone instantly by touching them with a knife from CoD4. Also, Gears of War taught us how to smash heads and use chainsaws.

Have you not witnessed the devestation one Falcon Punch brings? hell do it in a reactor and it can be viewed from outside the galaxy

HK-47 said:
Have you not witnessed the devestation one Falcon Punch brings? hell do it in a reactor and it can be viewed from outside the galaxy

yeah, but us Americans arent fit enough or have good eye sight to do a proper punch. We must rely in large bulky weapons and instakill knives.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Linkzg said:
yeah, but us Americans arent fit enough or have good eye sight to do a proper punch. We must rely in large bulky weapons and instakill knives.
Fair enough

Acosta

HK-47 said:

Who needs that when USA soldiers will have gravity hammers and rifles with frigging chainsaws on it? Japan has no chance.

ElFly

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Is Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G single-handedly pushing the incredible PSP sales in Japan, or is pirating at the heart of those hardware sales?

PSP piracy predates MH, so I guess it's MH.

Also, the new design helped too.

Vinnk

jasonbay said:
fair enough...so when do guys predict that to happen :D

It's already happening and will continue to happen for months. A gradual decrease, pulling tons of sales along with it. It's not going to plummet, it will coast down.

MisterHero

Acosta said:
Who needs that when USA soldiers will have gravity hammers and rifles with frigging chainsaws on it? Japan has no chance.
They has Pokemans and Mister Chiefs can't kill Pokemanz

and Metroids >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Floods

and Miyamoto, Iwata, Yokoi, Yamauchi are icons of Japan's polytheistic culture. Reggie is their American emissary/ninja-pirate-spy.

Perdew

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yup, couldn't say it better myself.

The cell shading of Valkyria looks high end, and hopefully it gets refined and reused in other games.

I generally follow these threads for a few days and I keep seeing this game get mentioned. As much as I love Sega, the graphics alone on this game don't particularly scream 'big budget'. I'm looking at videos and ads for it, so I don't really have a sense for the scale of the whole game, but it isn't very 'breathtaking' or even distinct to me (though it is a different use, I suppose).

Were people expecting drastically higher sales, really? And I guess, of what magnitude were you expecting? The best selling game on the platform?

Vinnk

GrotesqueBeauty said:

Monster Hunter is the heart and soul of the sales. The new design helps for new buyers or re-buyers. Really if they have MH, they don't need any other games. And if they do feel they need, at ANY bookstore in Japan, you can get a book or magazine to tell you how to pirate with web links to the gamez.

But most seem to just be sticking to MH.

Perdew said:
Were people expecting drastically higher sales, really? And I guess, of what magnitude were you expecting? The best selling game on the platform?

I think SEGA fans were just hoping that it did well enough for SEGA to consider investing in other projects like it.

Sony fans were hoping it would more hardware and pull the PS3 out of it's current (2006-2008) slump.

It didn't bring up hardware sales and the jury is still out about how SEGA feels it did. In general it is regarded as a dissapointment because for once SEGA seemed to make a genuine effort to put out a good game and the market did not respond accordingly.

No one was expecting it to set the world on fire, but many were hoping that it would.

Salazar

Perdew said:
I generally follow these threads for a few days and I keep seeing this game get mentioned. As much as I love Sega, the graphics alone on this game don't particularly scream 'big budget'.

They may not scream big budget (a nebulous, debatable point, really), but they scream style to the degree that I'd be mortified if the game looked any different.

Pachael

I think Valkyria's success or lack of when it's localised will determine the fate of the franchise (?) as well as the fate of Sega putting more money in IPs. I'm not holding my breath.

Of course the Iron Man games might do well for Sega, so we'll see their direction soon enough. They can't keep losing money! (See latest financials)

Lobster

Banned
Deca Sports is doing well for Hudson.

Hope it does well everywhere else too.

Its getting average reviews..but so did Wii Sports.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Hcoregamer00 said:
The cell shading of Valkyria looks high end
That's tech - and tech is cheap (well, relatively speaking).
High-end Art assets aren't - but Val assets are high-end by PS2 generation standards, not PS360 standards.

Jammy

Banned
These peripheral-based games on Wii sure are huge hits. DDR, Guitar Hero III, Wii Fit, Link's Crossbow Training, and Mario Kart Wii continue to put on great performances. I guess with these games, you not only mimic the shooting, steering, or balancing, but look the part as well, and that's what makes the Wii and these games popular.

Polari

Fafalada said:
High-end Art assets aren't - but Val assets are high-end by PS2 generation standards, not PS360 standards.

Shit, SEGA are you reading this? Wii port!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Acosta said:
I said "weeks".
Which doesn't make sense either, since 7/10 titles on there launched late March or after. I'm not sure what you were expecting but sales that radically on a weekly basis. This chart from less than 2 months before is pretty different.

Vinnk

Fafalada said:

If only it sold like a high-end PS2 game. :(
Actually if only games that ARE high-end by PS360 standards sold as well as PS2 games..

MisterHero said:
You fat lazy Americans had Crossbow Training for months, don't blame them if you lose WW3.
it's not fair, nintendo hasn't released Wii Fit over here yet, how the hell are we supposed to get off our couches and buy it?

damn you japan

Top Bottom