• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/7 - 5/13, PS3 < 10k

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Aeris130 said:
Disaster is relative. If I released my own console (the "Aeris Boxx") and it sold 10k a month, I'd be happy. If I had 2-3 games in the top 30 every week, I'd be even happier.
Depends on how much that ****er cost to produce though. Then you have the headache inducing moment of wondering how many units you sold per week during that timeline.

test_account said:
Didnt it? How do you think the number would have looked if VF5 didnt come out? Same goes for Gundam Masou ;)
These games only caused 1 or 2-week bumps, going by the sales graphs I would say these games have done absolutely nothing for PS3 in the long run. Nothing positive (except for 2 weeks), nor negative.

Jokeropia

Nice sales for Ouendan.
enishi said:
PS3 - less than last week
X360 - a bit rise
streamsvb0.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
the thing is the the japanese live in a videogame world of their own and people must start to realize that the " collective japanese " makes its mind pretty fast.

Unlike what happens in the US where people don't want to let old consoles go ( PS2,GBA), japanese jump in the newest trend right away to never look back again.

having that said, there is no " wait til (insert gamehere) and everything will be fine ". That doesn't exist in japan. Take monster hunter portable 2 for example: Line ups, craze, hype and still PSP came back to the usual performance levels some weeks thereafter.

Big games for PS3 will only cause "gundabumps", which is nothing to be happy about.

PS3 is dead in japan and no, it's not "to early to tell"

sphinx said:
the thing is the the japanese live in a videogame world of their own and people must start to realize that the " collective japanese " makes its mind pretty fast.

Unlike what happens in the US where people don't want to let old consoles go ( PS2,GBA), japanese jump in the newest trend right away to never look back again.

having that said, there is no " wait til (insert gamehere) and everything will be fine ". That doesn't exist in japan. Take monster hunter portable 2 for example: Line ups, craze, hype and still PSP came back to the usual performance levels some weeks thereafter.

Big games for PS3 will only cause "gundabumps", which is nothing to be happy about.

Remember that 5 month period PSP was outselling DS 2:1. I wouldn't call anything.

Eteric Rice

sphinx said:

Gundabump. :lol

test_account said:
I'm just wondering what people put in disaster, is it number of consoles sold each week (would it be a disaster if it went from 10k to 50k the next week?), how many consoles sold in total or how big outselling ratio compared to Wii?
Those are all troublesome for PS3, but you've probably put them in the proper order from greatest to least. It would be possible for PS3 to do well but Wii to be a monster, so being outsold isn't necessarily a disaster. We know PS3's holiday supply was bad, so it would be possible for its total to be low and it still be moving in a positive direction. The continuing weekly sales, though, point to it not only being in a rut, but staying there indefinitely, which is worse.
kisakiproject said:
Remember that 5 month period PSP was outselling DS 2:1. I wouldn't call anything.
In Japan, I recall a 10 week period where PSP was outselling DS 1.6:1.

kisakiproject said:

Well, for fun how about a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation:

Current Wii sales PW of, say, 70k;
Total Wii sales to date of 2.4 million, and;
Total PS3 sales to date of 0.9 million

Assuming the PS3 started outselling the Wii 2:1 next week - so, 140,000 PS3 per week - and carried on doing so over the next 5 months, the install base come the end of the year would look something like this:

Wii -- 3.8 million
PS3 -- 3.7 million

:lol

Sharp

Cosmonaut X said:

Assuming the PS3 started outselling the Wii 2:1 next week - so, 140,000 PS3 per week - and carried on doing so over the next 5 months, the install base come the end of the year would look something like this:

Wii -- 3.8 million
PS3 -- 3.7 million

Pretty arbitrary numbers considering that the Wii probably didn't sell 70k this week. That said, it does highlight how ridiculous the situation is.

Sharp said:
Pretty arbitrary numbers considering that the Wii probably didn't sell 70k this week. That said, it does highlight how ridiculous the situation is.

Well, do it with 50k per week and you get a similar result after 5 months:

Wii -- 3.4 million
PS3 -- 2.9 million

Even assuming a huge turnaround, with the Wii dropping to 10k per week and the PS3 rocketing up to 70k per week, the situation after 5 months would be:

Wii -- 2.6 million
PS3 -- 2.3 million

For the PS3 to match, let alone exceed the Wii it's going to require either that it starts outperforming the Wii by a sizeable margin on a weekly basis, or for the arse to fall out of Wii sales and a noticeable improvement in the weekly sales of the PS3.

Eteric Rice

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, do it with 50k per week and you get a similar result after 5 months:

Wii -- 3.4 million
PS3 -- 2.9 million

Even assuming a huge turnaround, with the Wii dropping to 10k per week and the PS3 rocketing up to 70k per week, the situation after 5 months would be:

Wii -- 2.6 million
PS3 -- 2.3 million

For the PS3 to match, let alone exceed the Wii it's going to require either that it starts outperforming the Wii by a sizeable margin on a weekly basis, or for the arse to fall out of Wii sales and a noticeable improvement in the weekly sales of the PS3.

In other words, "probably not gonna happen."

kisakiproject said:

It was about ten weeks, actually. And because of that time period, the PS2 only managed to cut 200,000 units off the DS's 1,000,000+ unit lead at that time.

JapanHandHeldWarFinal.png

andthebeatgoeson

Cosmonaut X said:

Wii -- 3.8 million
PS3 -- 3.7 million

Sooo, you are saying I have a chance?

Pop the champagne!
129dumber.jpg

Link1110 said:
Next up: Famicom's 19.35m
Then PS1's 21.59m

For comparison, the original Game Boy sold 32.43m

That includes the Pocket, Light, and GB Color the original GB sold/shipped between 12-13m actually.

And the PS1 includes all of Asia. It's more like 19.2m at most for PSX in Japan only w/ch is debatable b/c Famitsu sales shows way less...

Great Rumbler said:
It was about ten weeks, actually.
Well, I'm pretty sure he was mixing US sales into the Japanese discussion. True enough, PSP's launch period coming at the same time as a post-launch lull for DS made for a pretty big monthly gap, but it's very different than what's currently happening with Wii/PS3 in Japan or North America, where the launches are nearly aligned with one system never falling behind for a week or month.

Tf53

Cheesemeister said:
WII 2,424,359
PS3 883,453

So if the Wii:pS3 sold ratio stays above 5:1 like it is doing now, it's gonna be a tight race between 3M for Wii and 1M for PS3. The exact ratio for both to hit the limits at the same time would be 4,94 to 1.

I can kinda see Wii beating PS3 to it with the PS3 staying around (or below) 10k and the Wii around 50-60k during the summer.

sphinx

the piano man
kisakiproject said:

you have already enough replies but let me just clear this:

I am not saying PS3 is dead because Wii outsells it. It is dead because it sells terribly bad, regardless of competition. your "X console outselling Y console" argument is pointless. Look, I can do it too:

------
PS3 8,000
360 2,300

YEES! PS3 Wins!!
------

When we all know BOTH are dead, completely dead. both of them. Remember " Gamecube = dead " fashion from 2003 til last year? well, it's the exact same.

All is left are gundabumps, sorry man.

Vinnk

Strangly, I was never able to connect to either Hello Mac store. One number seems to be "no longer in service". I guees could try calling a few outside of my area.

Innotech

Banned
creamsugar said:
Famitsu Hardware 5/14 - 5/20

DS Lite - 112,080
Wii - 57,654
PSP - 26,044
PS2 - 11,740
PS3 - 8,189
Xbox360 - 2,296

holy ****ing shit @ Ps3.

Not unexpected, but....a Sony product under 10k a week for two weeks in Japan? ****ing crazy.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
creamsugar said:
Famitsu Hardware 5/14 - 5/20

DS Lite - 112,080
Wii - 57,654
PSP - 26,044
PS2 - 11,740
PS3 - 8,189
Xbox360 - 2,296
Will the PS3 stay above 8000 in MC?

GaimeGuy said:
Will the PS3 stay above 8000 in MC?

I still have a hard time believing this question is being asked. I'm all for Nintendo winning this generation, but I didn't want Sony to completely **** up beyond our worst and wildest expectations.

AniHawk

Eteric Rice said:
It's like watching a ship, sinking into the sea.

While on fire, with lilfeboats exploding for no reason, and its crewmen congratulating each other on another job well done because they made it halfway out of harbor.

AniHawk said:
While on fire, with lilfeboats exploding for no reason, and its crewmen congratulating each other on another job well done because they made it halfway out of harbor.

wow :lol where is my 'applause' smiley?

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Its pretty remarkable. I mean, I thought to myself a few times, "How bad will it really get for PS3? Its the PS3 for heavens sake!" If another week of this hits, bail out. I really can't believe any of this.

Top Bottom