• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/7 - 5/13, PS3 < 10k

Saitou

Banned
Cheesemeister said:

01./00. [PSP] Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War (Square-Enix) - 154,891 / NEW
02./01. [NDS] Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (Square-Enix) - 38,003 / 421,333
03./03. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 30,180 / 1,573,776
04./10. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo) - 27,930 / 4,266,115
05./08. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 21,332 / 4,440,924
06./02. [WII] Super Paper Mario (Nintendo) - 20,670 / 330,851
07./05. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 20,498 / 1,299,628
08./07. [WII] Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Nintendo) - 20,063 / 117,487
09./09. [NDS] Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (Hudson) - 18,547 / 143,189
10./04. [NDS] Yoshi's Island DS (Nintendo) - 17,423 / 808,555

11./13. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
12./15. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo)
13./11. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 4 (Capcom)
14./14. [NDS] Panel de Pon DS (Nintendo)
15./06. [NDS] Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (Nintendo)
16./12. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
17./16. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
18./17. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (Level 5)
19./18. [NDS] Common Knowledge Training (Nintendo)
20./20. [NDS] English Training (Nintendo)
21./21. [NDS] Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS (Bandai-Namco)
22./22. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
23./41. [NDS] 1000 Recipes (Nintendo)
24./34. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2M (IE Institute)
25./19. [NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (Square-Enix)
26./00. [PS2] Wrestling Kingdom 2: Pro Wrestling World War (Yuke's)
27./25. [PSP] Final Fantasy (Square-Enix)
28./43. [NDS] Cooking Navi (Nintendo)
29./30. [NDS] Kanji Test (Rocket Co.)
30./37. [NDS] Tetris DS (Nintendo)
vamps.jpg

Sharp

super funk said:
Hmm, it took 97 posts until we got this crap. Slow week indeed.
What are you talking about? They have great legs but we usually only see them dominating the top ten when not much else is out and/or the hardcore are exhausted. Have fun with that though, I'm going to bed. Will read the Sony Gamer's Day / NPD / Media Create hardware meltdowns tomorrow.

Log4Girlz

Well complete NDS dominance as usual. Scary to think what NDS2 could do. Seriously, if the NDS has psp or above level graphics, I would be surprised if it simply becomes the 1 videogame system to have.

...oh wait

ccbfan

I'm kinda impressed with the PSP.

Sure its not gonna sell close to the DS but then what system ever had.

This system that everyone was leaving for dead a few months ago is really showing it can sell software if people actually put software that people want on it. It all started with MHP2 and seeing success now with Square-Enix the future looks a lot brighter for the little bugger. I'm probably gonna get mine the day FFT comes out in the US.

(Again DS backers I'm not saying PSP is gonna beat the DS in total sales, I'm just saying the system is here to stay with a good library. IMO a much better RPG library than the DS so far.)

Sharp said:
What are you talking about? They have great legs but we usually only see them dominating the top ten when not much else is out and/or the hardcore are exhausted. Have fun with that though, I'm going to bed. Will read the Sony Gamer's Day / NPD / Media Create hardware meltdowns tomorrow.

Sorry, it just sounded to me like trolling instead of complementing. My mistake.

santouras

ccbfan said:

This system that everyone was leaving for dead a few months ago is really showing it can sell software if people actually put software that people want on it. It all started with MHP2 and seeing success now with Square-Enix the future looks a lot brighter for the little bugger. I'm probably gonna get mine the day FFT comes out in the US.

(Again DS backers I'm not saying PSP is gonna beat the DS in total sales, I'm just saying the system is here to stay with a good library. IMO a much better RPG library than the DS so far.)
exactly. Once devs realised that (the majority of) people don't want console games on their portables they can make portable centric games and these sell well. Unfortunately for PSP by the time they realised this DS was the unstoppable juggaurnaut it is currently

Tobor

ccbfan said:

I will be getting another PSP if the inevitable redesign is done right. I'm hoping this was announced at Gamer's day and is under embargo. We shall see I suppose.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Defuser said:
But you know English perfectly to start with........

Not really. Check old threads from my and you will find the hate to my writting skills (check tag for example).

I improved a lot my skill thanks to this game and to GAF.

BTW, my 9 years old nephew plays English Training; he is learning with and enjoying the game. The big difference is the learning/completion pace| I was way faster than him completing the firsts chapters due to my vocabulary knowledge (and pronunciation too).

All in all, is a great game that makes you feel like learning something useful and not wasting out your time in a game. That´s why the Touch! generations are so great to me!

PS360

Banned
So..about this English Training game...

*searches internet*

Ooohh my goood! It teaches you BRITISH ENGLISH?! That's the worst kind!

00336693.jpg

3+? Please. british english is MUCH too hard for a japanese 3 year old.

Jammy

Banned
This is off-topic a bit, but PSP has great RPGs? When? I know of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and FFT (which was apparently a somewhat butchered port) along with Tales of Eternia but... what about something... new?

Xisiqomelir

PS360 said:

I said wow.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Cheesemeister said:
Surprise, surprise.
So you're saying that a new game on a handheld with a substantially larger user base than the PSP only sold 120K more than a port when comparing first week sales?

Fuzzy said:
I'm sure there's a link in the OP that will answer your question. ;)

On that note, perhaps I should add the single top-selling game to the weekly thread titles. Yes, no?

Fuzzy said:
So you're saying that a new game on a handheld with a substantially larger user base than the PSP only sold 120K more than a port when comparing first week sales?

What I'm saying is that PSP owners are starved for content and will buy any RPG that comes along.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jammy said:
This is off-topic a bit, but PSP has great RPGs? When? I know of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and FFT (which was apparently a somewhat butchered port) along with Tales of Eternia but... what about something... new?

Hell yes the PSP has RPGs...

FFT
VP: Lenneth
Jeanne D'Arc
Innocent Life
Untold Legends
Tales of Phantasia FVE
Rengoku
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter 2
Brave Story
Gurumin
Legend of Heroes
Monster Kingdom
PoPoLoCrois
Shin Megami Tensei
Tales of the World
Valhalla Knights
Ys: Ark of Napishtim

Coming up:
Star Ocean
Star Ocean 2
Disgaea (might already be released in Japan?)
Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII

tanasten

ccbfan said:

Well, the same could be said about the Gamecube in the past, but it never took out. It´s a matter of flow, if the system has a constant flow of interesting games, the system will flew from selves, if not... like the GameCube, some comebacks and go to die again.
It´s clear that there´s a few systems sold. Publishers can make money from this dormant userbase if they offer interesting games, like Monster Hunter.

So for me, it´s natural and we will see a few games doing great on the PSP, just like some games did on the GC.

Fuzzy

Cheesemeister said:
What I'm saying is that PSP owners are starved for content and will buy any RPG that comes along.
So it would be a good idea for SE to support the PSP more? Starved owners will buy games = more money for SE.

goomba

Banned
PS360 said:

*searches internet*

00336693.jpg

Aka English english, aka real english, aka international english.

You expect them to teach american english? :lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Fuzzy said:
So it would be a good idea for SE to support the PSP more? Starved owners will buy games = more money for SE.

i think we've seen that in effect with Dissidia announced for PSP

Fuzzy

goomba said:
Aka English english, aka real english, aka international english.

You expect them to teach american english? :lol
I'm confused, I see the American flag on there also.

Jammy

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Hell yes the PSP has RPGs...

FFT
VP: Lenneth
Jeanne D'Arc
Innocent Life
Untold Legends
Tales of Phantasia FVE
Rengoku
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter 2
Brave Story
Gurumin
Legend of Heroes
Monster Kingdom
PoPoLoCrois
Shin Megami Tensei
Tales of the World
Valhalla Knights
Ys: Ark of Napishtim

Coming up:
Star Ocean
Star Ocean 2
Disgaea (might already be released in Japan?)
Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII

:lol

Oh geez... The Legend of Heroes series... Ys was horrible on the handheld... Ren-****ing Goku? Yeah, I know the PSP HAS RPGs, but I meant ones worth noting. Some poster above just said something about it having RPGs better than the DS and this is after FFIII's release, the Pokebomb, etc.

I mean, I'm as excited for the upcoming Star Ocean games as anyone, but this is the equivalent to saying Wii is the best system because of its VC. Where's the new games?

ccbfan said:

Not really. Software doesn't seem to do so hot on PSP unless it has a top-level brand like FF or Monster Hunter attached to it. Final Fantasy will sell a healthy amount in Japan no matter what system you put it on. Just ask the GameCube.

Fuzzy

miguel_c_hammer said:
Not really. Software doesn't seem to do so hot on PSP unless it has a top-level brand like FF or Monster Hunter attached to it. Final Fantasy will sell a healthy amount in Japan no matter what system you put it on. Just ask the GameCube.
Will you still be saying that when Castlevania does better on the PSP than the DS in Japan?

ccbfan

miguel_c_hammer said:

Monster Hunter did not become a top level brand until it went on the PSP.

Also we've only seen what 2 ports for 10 years old final fantasys have done. Not exactly big guns here. I'm really interested in seeing what how FF7CC and discordia sells.

Jammy

Banned
People are forgetting how popular the original Final Fantasy Tactics was for PSone. Final Fantasy whoring was basically unheard of at the time, and people were interested in a non-traditional RPG that apparently was worthy to have the Final Fantasy name. Of course, it helped a ton that the game was so damn high in quality.

With multiple spin-offs and vastly different gameplay, you're going to get diluted sales, as is the case with DoC, Revenant Wings, etc., and it will probably happen to Crisis Core too.

Cheesemeister said:
On that note, perhaps I should add the single top-selling game to the weekly thread titles. Yes, no?

That'd help differentiate them.

tanasten said:
Well, the same could be said about the Gamecube in the past, but it never took out. It´s a matter of flow, if the system has a constant flow of interesting games, the system will flew from selves, if not... like the GameCube, some comebacks and go to die again.
It´s clear that there´s a few systems sold. Publishers can make money from this dormant userbase if they offer interesting games, like Monster Hunter.

So for me, it´s natural and we will see a few games doing great on the PSP, just like some games did on the GC.

GC was not doing this well.

Jammy

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Will you still be saying that when Castlevania does better on the PSP than the DS in Japan?

It wouldn't make a difference. I'd be shocked if the game sold any in America. Didn't PoR sell better than MGS: PO in its opening month?

EDIT: Ah, Japan... Well that "no games" argument would certainly work. Castlevania on DS would have surely gotten caught up in the Brain Age, etc. craze.

Jammy said:
People are forgetting how popular the original Final Fantasy Tactics was for PSone. Final Fantasy whoring was basically unheard of at the time, and people were interested in a non-traditional RPG that apparently was worthy to have the Final Fantasy name. Of course, it helped a ton that the game was so damn high in quality.

With multiple spin-offs and vastly different gameplay, you're going to get diluted sales, as is the case with DoC, Revenant Wings, etc., and it will probably happen to Crisis Core too.

Diluted sales are probably the idea, as it must be hard for a company to go several years between paychecks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jammy said:

It really wasn't that popular, all things considered. I made this graph in last week's thread, but I guess it's relevant here as well:

final_fantasy_history.png

Brofist

Sony is ****ing it up even with the PSP it seems. MH2 got actually got some people riled up about it, and after that the releases dried up. I think if they could have strung a few titles together they could have built some success, but as it is all they'll see is a small peak anytime a significant game is released.

speculawyer said:
360 - 0
PS3 - 0

Second month in a row. Hi-Def gaming is still dead in Japan. :-(

no decent releases = no sales plain and simple

Saitou

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
It really wasn't that popular, all things considered. I made this graph in last week's thread, but I guess it's relevant here as well:

final_fantasy_history.png
I was under the impression that FF7 was closer to 3.8 than 4 million units.

I know for a fact it hasn't reached 4 million sold. Maybe that number is shipped?

EDIT: Seems I was wrong. Shipped appears to be 4.4M.

3phemeral

tanasten said:
lastdragon8.jpg

tanasten

Fuzzy said:

Sorry to disturb, but the Castlevanias on the DS are unappealing total.

The manga art, the old Metroidvania style which has been burnt out, and the lack of technical effort has made Akumajou Dracula on the DS a mere more of the same, appealing only to the series fans.
They should have tried something like Rond of Blood/Castlevania 4/C 3 instead of more Metroidvania.

And BTW, the PSP owners will be interested in such two classics. I think that the DS crownd would too.

If they would release the same game in both systems...

kuYuri

FFT at #1 is rightly deserved. It also happens to be my #1 game of all time.

Also, damn, that NSMB sure has legs. Damn.

Top Bottom