• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/9 - 6/15

Nocebo

Hammer24[b said:
]So I guess the PS3 and MGS4 are already heavily available as used? [/b]This usually destroys "legs" in Japan, thats why I´m guessing.
This sounds plausible and what i was expecting to happen since the first week numbers were out. Even though people claimed MGS4 had replay value.

Redd

I don't get it. Maybe the Japanese(no offense) didn't notice the online portion of MGS4. This game should be selling for a long time.

Vinnk

Hammer24 said:
I´d love to see a Vinnks Village investigation on this... ;)

I'll do my best. It's a busy week, but I should be able to at least hit a few shops. Anything other than MGS4 to look for?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vinnk said:
I'll do my best. It's a busy week, but I should be able to at least hit a few shops. Anything other than MGS4 to look for?

ToS definitely

Nocebo

goompapa said:
Nope, Sony just needs to release more games for PS3.

They just need MGS4 calibre games............. every single week :lol
They still won't win this generation even if they did, see Joshua's post. PS3 would catch up to Wii in 2011 if it kept selling 74k a week.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MGS4--I'm not sure this drop is really all that astronomical. Let me briefly use Josh's numbers to establish a precedent here;

MGS2. Week one: 456k. Week two: 88k. Dropoff: 80%
MGS3. Week one: 487k. Week two: 127k. Dropoff: 74%

MGS4's dropoff is slightly sharper than MGS2's (I think MGS2 is a better comparison than MGS3 based on the point in the lifespan and the fact that MGS3, while critically acclaimed, is the most oddball of the series marketing/sales wise--it's a prequel, in my experience it wasn't advertised as much, it wasn't a "system seller" like MGS2 was along with FFX that same year) but it's not substantially worse.

Anecdotally, everyone I've spoken to has mentioned used copies bubbling up, so it seems the game's length and MGO weren't enough to hold off the tide.

Mario Baseball opens slightly weaker than the GCN installment, but better than I expected. Good first day->first week growth. Still, I feel as though prolonged sales will be lower due to the generally bad word of mouth.

Taiko Drum Master 2 still chugging, but it's interesting to see TDM1 still around. I haven't heard reports about the song variety on either to know whether or not this is an indication that the first game is better (or a good complement), but if the second shows the same longevity as the first, it'll pull good numbers and generally reverse the trend in direct DS sequels not selling as well as their predecessors.

:lol DBZ :lol Same as last week, DBZ continues to demonstrate what a mis-step it was. Family Trainer drops quickly, not displaying typical non-game resilience. I suspect the fact that it's not Balance Board compatible means that the buyers here are not likely the Balance Board / Nintendo fan crew, and as a result this software is going to look more like similar offerings last gen than the decent offchart growth we've seen on the DS and Wii this gen.

Yamamura Misa Suspense drops harder than its predecessor but I have a feeling the overall LTDs will be virtually identical. The first topped out at 150k, so I'd guess that they've got pretty much the same market installment to installment with little growth but also no haemorrhaging

Hardware-wise, we still have yet to see if the PS3 "baseline" moves or not. Obviously last weeks sales were mostly attributed to the bundle. 25k represents a serious improvement over the awful sales before, but as with last week before the majority of the game's sales are the existing PS3 owners.

Vinnk said:

Mario Baseball used copies, please. Don't care about new stock. Just used; this game is a dud and I want to see if it's getting the typical reaction that duds get.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People act like Tales sales actually have any bearing on whether or not more Tales games get made. Have no fear, my little ones. Tales games are the alpha and the omega.

schuelma

Stumpokapow said:
Mario Baseball used copies, please. Don't care about new stock. Just used; this game is a dud and I want to see if it's getting the typical reaction that duds get.

Yeah. It's already discounted by 40% on amazon japan.

test_account

XP-39C²
4. Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4 (PS2) 58.000 [58.000]
xx. Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 4 (Wii) 1.500

Anyone know why there is so big of a difference? Different price? Lower Wii supply? Its a big userbase difference between PS2 and Wii, sure, but Wii is the hot console at the moment so i'm alittle suprised that there is so big of a difference.

Jaruru said:
looks like MGS4 = not a million seller @ JP? :x
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i dont think any MGS game sold 1 million copies in Japan (not counting re-releases etc. since MGS4 hasnt had re-releases yet (i dunno if it will get it either, but maybe)).

Gaborn

norinrad21 said:
I thought MGS4 was going to bump things up? wow that's depressing

Technically it is, remember the PS3 was flirting with 10k and less for a while so this is a distinct improvement. Still though :lol :lol at the year of the PS3.

schuelma

Gaborn said:
Technically it is, remember the PS3 was flirting with 10k and less for a while so this is a distinct improvement. Still though :lol :lol at the year of the PS3.

Well, if the bump only lasts 3 months and goes right back to 10K..it didn't really do anything.

schuelma

norinrad21 said:
So basically every huge game for the PS3 has peaked around 500k?

Actually, prior to MGS4 the ceiling was 400K. MGS topping out at 700K is still significantly better than any other release.

Gaborn

schuelma said:
Well, if the bump only lasts 3 months and goes right back to 10K..it didn't really do anything.

Absolutely, but that's why it's a bump rather than an upward slope (bump to me at least implies an upward slope and at some point a downward slope).

teepo said:
1/4th of the total number of ps3 owners in japan have bought mgs4. can't see it having any legs.

Whats left in Sony's armor? ICO perhaps? It seems the most biggest and long awaited games couldn't save the PS3 in Japan, maybe quality 3rd party games will?

At this point, i can see why they deliberately keep delaying Final Fantasy, could end up being the biggest bomb in history over there

Gaborn said:

Anyone who actually played MGS4 definitely feel it is the year of the PS3, people who spend their days jerking off over numbers instead of playing games can do what they want.

botticus

test_account said:
Anyone know why there is so big of a difference? Different price? Lower Wii supply? Its a big userbase difference between PS2 and Wii, sure, but Wii is the hot console at the moment so i'm alittle suprised that there is so big of a difference.
As with most games, I assume the fanbase is on the PS2, so there's little reason for the Wii game. That said, looking at the previous games (all PS2) on Garaph (thanks Joshua!), this one had a big opening:

2004-12-22 Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3 - 22,496
2005-04-01 Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyoushou~ - 9,480
2005-09-22 Harukanaru Toki no Naka 3 - 36,663
2006-03-23 Harukanaru Toki no Uchi de 3: Unmei no Meikyuu - 33,621

It's LTD is already beyond any of those.

schuelma

OokieSpookie said:
Anyone who actually played MGS4 definitely feel it is the year of the PS3, people who spend their days jerking off over numbers instead of playing games can do what they want.

This is a sales thread.

Nocebo

OokieSpookie said:
This makes zero sense. Also for someone who has been around for as long as you have, you still seem to be ignorant of what media create sales threads are about. (hint: it's in the title!)
OokieSpookie said:
Yep, on a gaming board.
Oh the dilemma!
They're game sales after all...
rolleyes.gif

schuelma

OokieSpookie said:
Yep, on a gaming board.
Oh the dilemma!

It's not really much of one. Pretty sure there are plenty of threads where you can discuss MGS4 in a non sales context.

Vinnk

OokieSpookie said:

Vinnk in 1998 said:
Anyone who actually played Panzer Dragoon Saga definitely feel it is the year of the Sega Saturn, people who spend their days jerking off over numbers instead of playing games can do what they want.

OK.. back to the SALES thread.

OokieSpookie said:

You were pretty happy "jerking off" to numbers last week. Funny how things change.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
I too think 2008 will be the year of the PS3.

But only because of Biohazard 5, not MGS4. :D

Do you really think it might make it out this year?

norinrad21 said:
Whats left in Sony's armor? ICO perhaps? It seems the most biggest and long awaited games couldn't save the PS3 in Japan, maybe quality 3rd party games will?

Was there anyone here seriously expecting a SINGLE game which was not even from a million seller series to "save" PS3? You?

RBH

Dragona Akehi said:
You were pretty happy "jerking off" to numbers last week. Funny how things change.

OokieSpookie
Banned
(Today, 11:15 AM)
Reply | Quote

Well that was quick. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
norinrad21 said:
Whats left in Sony's armor? ICO perhaps?

Just in case you're curious.

Shadow of the Colossus; opening 129k on lifetime of 190k. (the Best opening on 25k, no lifetime update--total across SKUs ~215k)
ICO; opening 15k, no lifetime update (the Best opening on 4k on lifetime of 8k, the Best 2nd release lifetime 90k--total across SKUs ~125k)

AnimeTheme said:
Was there anyone here seriously expecting a SINGLE game which was not even from a million seller series to "save" PS3? You?

I always expect good games to sell regardless of console. Just because a game didn't sell well last gen, doesn't mean a new installment won't bring about change.

Shadow of the Colossus; opening 129k on lifetime of 190k. (the Best opening on 25k, no lifetime update--total across SKUs ~215k)
ICO; opening 15k, no lifetime update (the Best opening on 4k on lifetime of 8k, the Best 2nd release lifetime 90k--total across SKUs ~125k)

very depressing to see such awesome games not do so well.

Paracelsus

norinrad21 said:

At this point, i can see why they deliberately keep delaying Final Fantasy, could end up being the biggest bomb in history over there

Hm...no.

It will probably end up selling less than previous installments, but it won't be a bomba, just like MGS4 is not a bomba.

Problem here is not software, but the hardware.

If people keep shunning HD consoles even with such big releases, it becomes even more clear that a PSP-like comeback is impossible.

Dascu

Does anyone have Week 2 date for MGS2 and/or MGS3?
RBH said:

OokieSpookie
Banned
(Today, 11:15 AM)
Reply | Quote

Well that was quick. :lol
Dragona rides down from Valhalla on her swift steed to strike down the lowly mortals with her Spear of Banishment.

Top Bottom