• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

mj1108

FortunateSon said:
I think Ps3 is doing good. What's your point? Fact is, the Media Create threads are pretty boring. Not even another system on the top 10. That's just, wow.

My system is doing pretty good I think.

You must have thrown a party when it busted that 10k milestone.

Innotech

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Personally I care more about seeing how individual games do than which make believe army is winning.

BUT I UNDERSTAND THE STAKES ARE HIGH SIR

I care a lot about seeing developers put more resources into the console I bought. Especially Sega games (which is thankfully happening)

Sharp

Segata Sanshiro said:
Personally I care more about seeing how individual games do than which make believe army is winning.

BUT I UNDERSTAND THE STAKES ARE HIGH SIR
Haven't you been keeping up with the other thread? Everyone's investing in Nintendo now or something.

Segata Sanshiro said:

I throw a party for the entire neighborhood everytime a 360 game charts on MC.

If Lost Odyssey actually hits the #1 spot there just might be a donkey show at the next party.

mj1108 said:
You must have thrown a party when it busted that 10k milestone.

I really did. It was awesome. Anyways, I just have this gut feeling, don't know why, that Ps3 somehow will not go out without a battle. I believe once it gets cheaper + games and then...

We will see.

I just can't believe 100+ million Ps1 and Ps2 sales = just for nothing. Japanese can't be that delusional. They will buy it when the games come and when it's cheaper.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
FortunateSon said:
I really did. It was awesome. Anyways, I just have this gut feeling, don't know why, that Ps3 somehow will not go out without a battle.

See the first part of this problem is that you're assuming PS3 is still fighting.

Tristam

FortunateSon said:
I really did. It was awesome. Anyways, I just have this gut feeling, don't know why, that Ps3 somehow will not go out without a battle. I believe once it gets cheaper + games and then...

We will see.

I just can't believe 100+ million Ps1 and Ps2 sales = just for nothing. Japanese can't be that delusional. They will buy it when the games come and when it's cheaper.

Uh, what? You're suggesting that strong PS1 and PS2 sales (of which you used worldwide figures to account for the Japanese) should translate into equally strong PS3 sales, else "Japanese" are delusional?

At any rate, continue to wait for Metal Gear Solid 4.

Salazar

Lightning said:
I find it amusing that people are buying PSP's but are not buying any games for the system....

There was some touchingly awkward product placement in the House that aired last night (Australia).

Child - "You like video games ?" *Holds up PSP to camera*
Cameron - *Beams* "Yeah"

FortunateSon said:
I really did. It was awesome. Anyways, I just have this gut feeling, don't know why, that N64 somehow will not go out without a battle. I believe once it gets cheaper carts + games and then...

We will see.

I just can't believe 100+ million NES and NES sales = just for nothing. Japanese can't be that delusional. They will buy it when the games come and when it's cheaper to make carts.

sonynintendoalt.jpg

ethelred

The Sphinx said:
Anyone have numbers for previous versions of Minna no Golf and Mario Party?

Eh, yeah, sure, why not.

Code:
Game Name:		Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	LTD:
Minna no Golf 1		PSX  	117.383  	72,430  	57,403  	1,777,895
Minna no Golf 2 	PSX 	273,260 	231,528 			951,931
Minna no Golf 3		PS2 	272,758 	105,189 	74,057 		921,906
Minna no Golf 4		PS2 	475,269 	162,671 	95,988 		1,083,079
Minna no Golf PSP	PSP 	66,079 		31,505 		33,404 		399,257

Mario Party 1 		N64  	153,858  	176,396  	30,752  	714,358
Mario Party 2		N64 	131,155 	223,691 	111,384 	884,249
Mario Party 3 		N64 	221,240 	113,118 	221,374 	846,452
Mario Party 4 		GCN 	177,605 	70,754 		46,114 		902,827
Mario Party 5 		GCN 	100,565 	57,501 		64,100 		697,462
Mario Party 6 		GCN 	96,707 		45,589 		30,271 		527,132
Mario Party 7 		GCN 	81,626 		27,156 		21,706 		454,261
Mario Party Adv. 	GBA 	73,115 		26,514 		16,596 		241,721

Tristam said:
Uh, what? You're suggesting that strong PS1 and PS2 sales (of which you used worldwide figures to account for the Japanese) should translate into equally strong PS3 sales, else "Japanese" are delusional?

My bad on the sales numbers. I meant 20+ million in Japan for Ps2 and Ps1 = ? Whatever the numbers are, Japanese suddenly shun the Ps3 in epic proportions never seen before.

It just seems all weird. Like I said, cheaper + games will do wonders I guess for the Ps3 in Japan. If that doesn't. Sony has no hope and bascially got shunned by Japanese even though the Ps2 was hugely successful.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
FortunateSon said:
I think Ps3 is doing good. What's your point? Fact is, the Media Create threads are pretty boring. Not even another system on the top 10. That's just, wow.

My system is doing pretty good I think.

Your definition of 'pretty good' seems to be 'pretty ****ing horrendous'. Good luck to ya, and its telling you had to repeat it twice, as if you couldnt quite convince yourself the 1st time.

And I dont know about anybody else, but I find ruthless domination more entertaining than the top whatever being composed of an equal mix of all systems. THAT would be pretty damn boring. GAF loves extremes and ownage, and thats exactly what we're getting.

@Dragona

Uh, I thought Ps2/Ps1 were the only systems to sell that many units in the gaming industry. Like Sony was the 1st to reach those numbers with the Ps1/2?

By the way, Sony is not the Nintendo back then. Honestly.

Tristam

FortunateSon said:
My bad on the sales numbers. I meant 20+ million in Japan for Ps2 and Ps1 = ? Whatever the numbers are, Japanese suddenly shun the Ps3 in epic proportions never seen before.

It just seems all weird. Like I said, cheaper + games will do wonders I guess for the Ps3 in Japan. If that doesn't. Sony has no hope and bascially got shunned by Japanese even though the Ps2 was hugely successful.

And the NES and SNES commanded the vast majority of marketshare in Japan during their respective life cycles. The N64 couldn't boast the same achievement.

It's all very fitting for the image Dragona posted.

Evlar

Banned
Hmmm.

Damn. It's hard to say. How much will the performance of MnG5 be hampered by the tiny PS3 userbase, and how much has the attitude toward "Mario _____" changed in Japan?

Here's my stab at predictions:

MnG5: 82,000
MP8: 134,000

And DQS has a chance to outsell both if SE can get the game on shelves.

FortunateSon said:
@Dragona

Uh, I thought Ps2/Ps1 were the only systems to sell that many units in the gaming industry. Like Sony was the 1st to reach those numbers with the Ps1/2?

You're right, they're waaay more expensive.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
This is all crazy. Japan is supposed to be all about early adoption of cutting edge tech. What's it going to take for them to embrace next-gen? I don't get it.

/sulks.

felipeko

FortunateSon said:

It's not like people buy a fidelity program or anything...

FortunateSon said:
I think it's Nintendo that's not Sony back then, Nintendo is even better.

KINGMOKU

The Sphinx said:
Hmmm.

Damn. It's hard to say. How much will the performance of MG5 will be hampered by the tiny PS3 userbase, and how much has the attitude toward "Mario _____" changed in Japan?

Here's my stab at predictions:

MnG5: 82,000
MP8: 134,000

And DQS has a chance to outsell both if SE can get the game on shelves.
Damn. Maybe I WAY overshot my estimation of Mario Party. I did take into account Mario Parties insane sales in the States though. Maybe the Waggle feature will tack on a ton of sales, adding newness to the franchise in Japan as well.

I am pretty confident on my Golf prediction though. REALLY popular game in Japan, and if it doesnt at least hit my guess, that would be bad.

I'll stick with my Mario Party guess though. I'll probably be off, but what the hell.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That,

Jet_Li.jpg

is some crazy ass NDS sales.

too obscured, nevermind, only I could "get" it

Guys, get a grip. That whole situation about Sony is like Nintendo back in the day is such bs.

Damn, and people say I'm crazy sometimes. That shit is so ridiculous.

I think it's Nintendo that's not Sony back then, Nintendo is even better.

Exactly. You proved my point. They are nothing alike. Two different companies, they think differently.

Just because some occassions just seem eerily similar doesn't mean shit.

Like, the f**k?

jetjevons said:
This is all crazy. Japan is supposed to be all about early adoption of cutting edge tech. What's it going to take for them to embrace next-gen? I don't get it.

/sulks.
This is what happens when the industry tells people what they should want instead of paying attention to what they *do* want.

It wasn't hard to see that same-old same-old was on a steep downslide in Japan. The tricky part was finding what they *did* want.

FortunateSon said:
Guys, get a grip. That whole situation about Sony is like Nintendo back in the day is such bs.

Exactly. You rpved my point. They are nothing alike. Two different companies, they think differently.

Like, the f**k?

are you feeling okay?

FortunateSon said:

The same thing happened to the N64. I don't see why it's so unbelievable that an overpriced system without enough significant games would fail especially when it's happened before.

Anyways, it's very obvious that Sony's surrendered Japan to Nintendo. The usual delusional fanboy arguments don't really work since the price of the system is already low and HDTV penetration is where America will be six years from now. However, I don't think anyone feels the system will be irrelevant. It still has FFXIII which is a system seller if there ever was one. Personally, I expect the PS3 to rest at six-eight million units sold when it's ten years are up and considering that it's such a colossal failure, that's a really nice number to end up with.

JavyOO7

I feel MP8 will outsell that PS3 golf game handily. I don't mean betting towards that. That game won't sell more than 400k.

FortunateSon said:

Exactly. You proved my point. They are nothing alike. Two different companies, they think differently.

Like, the f**k?
Ca..can we keep him?

fernoca said:
??
I was expecting only 1.. ...
An extra wouldn't hurt.

laserbeam

Banned
FortunateSon said:
@Dragona

Actually Sony is following the Nintendo of that Eras lunacy to a tee. Going with a oddball format. They have even gone with Nintendos Software Stance. "We must thrive on our first party" and their comments about such and such 3rd party titles not being that important anymore etc because those titles went Multi

Sony is Old Era Nintendo

Innotech

Banned
FortunateSon said:
@Dragona

the problem is, Japan picks one console and basically goes with it. guess which console they picked? The remaining consoles battle it out for a tiny piece of the pie and basically experience sales ubmps for big games as people buy the system just for that game and then put it on the used market. After the sales bump, the console remains selling at its usual pace. Xbox360 and Ps3 are being heavily traded in after desired big games and I think someone posted on here you could trade in a Ps3 and get a Wii at some point. Its definitely not a case of sony just dropping the price and rocketing past nintendo. they arent nearly close enough in sales rates for that to work. It worked for DS because DS was never really behind by much and overall I believe it was always a bit ahead. So when nintendogs dropped, it skyrocketed to heaven. MGS4/FF13 will not skyrocket Ps3 to heaven this time.

Tristam

laserbeam said:
Actually Sony is following the Nintendo of that Eras lunacy to a tee. Going with a oddball format. They have even gone with Nintendos Software Stance. "We must thrive on our first party" and their comments about such and such 3rd party titles not being that important anymore etc because those titles went Multi

Sony is Old Era Nintendo

No, the situations are wildly different (though there are a handful of delightfully amusing parallels), but that doesn't change the fact the PS3 is tracking under the N64 and GameCube.

Top Bottom