• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/16 - 7/22

Deku

Banned
Oblivion said:
You're right. Nintendo could carry their system by themselves.

That's sort of the irony isn't it? Sony built its empire by appealing to third parties as the open platform where 1st party competition is sparse.

The PS3 strategy is predicated on 1st party killer apps selling the console. And one wonders where that leaves 3rd parties. Their games clearly aren't selling and they face increased competition from Sony's internal efforts precisely because Sony is in a panic and feel they can't rely on their third parties to provide those titles for them.

It's a vicious cycle. The fewer units they sell, the more Sony feels they need to fund 1st or 2nd party exclusives. And the more 1st/2nd party exclusives Sony funds, the less interest 3rd parties have toward the PS3 given the economics of publishing on that platform.

Damn. I'm never entering an MC thread for sure.

Points I made in this thread are simple.

-Sony is not like Nintendo back then. Like I said, a few occassions that are similar doesn't mean squat.

-I find MC threads boring. Like, yeah.

-I think Ps3 is doing good in Japan and later on when the games come out and it gets cheaper, we will see what happens then...

-Lastly, I just don't understand how the Ps3 is shun that badly in Japan. I don't understand that.

That's basically all I'm saying in this thread.

And oh yeah, I still think Ps3 will somehow give Wii a run for it's money. Just me. No need to go cuckoo!

I think the points I made are pretty clear and fair maybe for the last one, that one is a bit out there but I'm still sticking with it.

Innotech

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
That,

Jet_Li.jpg

is some crazy ass NDS sales.

too obscured, nevermind, only I could "get" it

Fist of legend?

Link

The Autumn Wind
FortunateSon said:
My bad on the sales numbers. I meant 20+ million in Japan for Ps2 and Ps1 = ? Whatever the numbers are, Japanese suddenly shun the Ps3 in epic proportions never seen before.

It just seems all weird. Like I said, cheaper + games will do wonders I guess for the Ps3 in Japan. If that doesn't. Sony has no hope and bascially got shunned by Japanese even though the Ps2 was hugely successful.
Past success means nothing if you screw up with your current offering while the competition offers a more appealing alternative. Nintendo found that out years ago, now Sony's discovering the same fate.

The PS3 doesn't deserve automatic success because of the PS1 and PS2. It needs to earn it on its own merits.

EDIT - And I'm sorry, but to be blunt, the PS3 is not doing well in Japan no matter what kind of definition you want to give "good." It's doing terribly, selling worse than the GC or Saturn. The PS2 is just now, after 7 years, hitting the numbers the PS3 has already been doing for months. You're in denial, I get it, but don't shit all over this thread because your Sony world is crumbling.

FortunateSon said:

-Sony is not like Nintendo back then. Like I said, a few occassions that are similar doesn't mean squat.

-I think Ps3 is doing good in Japan and later on when games come and it gets cheaper, we will see what happens then...

-Lastly, I just don't understand how the Ps3 is shun that badly in Japan. I don't understand that.

And oh yeah, I still think Ps3 will somehow give Wii a run for it's money. Just me. No need to go cuckoo!
Yeah, I think you have that one covered for us.

Evlar

Banned
FortunateSon said:

-I think Ps3 is doing good in Japan and later on when the games come out and it gets cheaper, we will see what happens then...

I think the points I made are pretty clear and fair maybe for the last one, that one is a bit out there but I'm still sticking with it.
That's fine, but Sales-Age is Serious Business and if you're predicting against the current trends you get called out on it. I wouldn't say it's impossible for PS3 to surge in Japan, but I WOULD say that there's little reason to expect it at this point beyond wishful thinking.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jetjevons said:
This is all crazy. Japan is supposed to be all about early adoption of cutting edge tech. What's it going to take for them to embrace next-gen? I don't get it.

/sulks.

Oh, come on man. You're better than this.

Deku said:
That's sort of the irony isn't it? Sony built its empire by appealing to third parties as the open platform where 1st party competition is sparse.

The PS3 strategy is predicated on 1st party killer apps selling the console. And one wonders where that leaves 3rd parties. Their games clearly aren't selling and they face increased competition from Sony's internal efforts precisely because Sony is in a panic and feel they can't rely on their third parties to provide those titles for them.

It's a vicious cycle. The fewer units they sell, the more Sony feels they need to fund 1st or 2nd party exclusives. And the more 1st/2nd party exclusives Sony funds, the less interest 3rd parties have toward the PS3 given the economics of publishing on that platform.

Yep, I've thought the same thing quite a few times in the past. It'd be downright hilarious if we see a few years down the line people thinking third party games won't sell on a Sony system kinda like the way people think about that for Nintendo systems.

You guys are crazy. Relax, it's just what I think on the whole situation. Jesus, am I attacking Nintendo anywhere? Not really.

Whoa guys. Only thing I can see myself arguing on is "Sony is not like Nintendo back then" but that is irrelevant and pointless now going by the replies. I'm never going to win and it's just going to be cycled in and out again and again.

So yeah, can we get the topic back on track!

Zelda is doing great but uh, DQ, quite the drop there.

They're delusional, remember?

*Sigh*

Japan is a cutting edge country but the Ps3 is failing there. So sad. Whatever. I would like to dig deeper with why I called them delusional but I'm not going to. Dude, see the damn replies. It's freaking insane in here.

Deku said:

I'm of the opinion that the strategy for the PS3 was for it to be carried by third parties, and bolstered by high end first party efforts. I believe that Kutaragi didn't deliver the PS3 that he was supposed to, and that failure shot their business plan all to hell. At this point they're just struggling to make up something that sounds good, and hoping to hell that it works.

sphinx

the piano man
moku said:
It's easy to confuse people like them. They all smell like bullshit.

Juwanna Peezadis said:
So, we got our stupid argument poster before Hardware numbers this week?

the hell is wrong with you, guys? the fact that you disagree that the PS3 can make a comeback in Japan doesn't mean you can call someone " bullshit" or " stupid ".

So, are MP8 and MnG both being released this week? Or is it next week? What are we expecting for the Mini-no-bump. . .er. . . Minna no bump? 20k max?

No matter how you say it, there is "no bump"

KINGMOKU

sphinx said:
the hell is wrong with you, guys? the fact that you disagree that the PS3 can make a comeback in Japan doesn't mean you can call someone " bullshit" or " stupid ".
Wow that screwed me up. The sphinx, sphinx, wierded me out.

Anyways, mine was directed at the comments, or reasoning. I honestly dont think it would make sense to call someone bullshit.

FortunateSon said:
You guys are crazy. Relax, it's just what I think on the whole situation. Jesus, am I attacking Nintendo anywhere? Not really.

Whoa guys. Only thing I can see myself arguing on is "Sony is not like Nintendo back then" but that is irrelevant and pointless now going by the replies. I'm never going to win and it's just going to be cycled in and out again and again.

*Sigh*

Japan is a cutting edge country but the Ps3 is failing there. So sad. Whatever. I would like to dig deeper with why I called them delusional but I'm not going to. Dude, see the damn replies. It's freaking insane in here.

:lol just stop already dude. It's okay.

Jammy

Banned
FortunateSon said:

:lol :lol :lol

Sony is doing several different things that ****ed over the Nintendo of the past, and several of them have been named already. For one, both pretty much pimped only their first party titles, as third party ones are few and far between. Nintendo always ended up screwing themselves and Sony's doing it now with the price. You're right, these are just TWO instances, but they're two BIG reasons why PS3 is failing right now.

HOW can you think PS3 is doing well in Japan? It hasn't even sold ONE MILLION. The Wii has sold over three times as much in a shorter time span. The PS2 sold one million in three weeks!

"When the games come out" isn't enough. The PS3 needs a steady stream of quality games and system movers. It can't get Gundam Musou and then not have another game released for it at all in the next month. It needs several releases a week, which is something we saw with PS2 and are seeing with DS now and Wii coming up.

Like people have said before, Japan embraces one console a ton and leaves all the rest to rot basically. You honestly can't expect PS3 to give Wii a run for its money unless you haven't paid attention to sales or trends in Japan/worldwide for as long as people like us have. There's a reason you have that Junior tag.

I just don't see the point in fighting losing battles. It just ends up turning out like the Gahiggidy/Monorojo situation.

(Somebody has to have that gif btw)

Oh and the sales age = serious business definitely bears repeating. If you just make stuff up and/or don't know what you're talking about you will get called out and it'll be sad times.
Oh and definitely don't go throwing your opinion around like it has any weight. All that's being said is "PS3 should be selling because it's awesome!"

sphinx said:
Stupid was obviously modifying "argument" not "poster."

[EDIT]If it was modifying poster, there would be a comma between "stupid" and "argument." Besides, argument doesn't make sense as an adjective.

The Sphinx said:
That's fine, but Sales-Age is Serious Business and if you're predicting against the current trends you get called out on it. I wouldn't say it's impossible for PS3 to surge in Japan, but I WOULD say that there's little reason to expect it at this point beyond wishful thinking.

Yeah, it is serious. Well, why would I get called out on it? It's my OPINION. People don't need to know my reasons.

Well, it's going to be a tough hill to climb for Sony and the Ps3 in Japan that's for sure. I think it will surge at some point in it's lifetime.

Ps3 is too good to pass up. At least in Japanese terms.

sphinx

the piano man
moku said:
Wow that screwed me up. The sphinx, sphinx, wierded me out.

I was here earlier, don't blame me ... -_-

and you said " guys like him smell like bullshit " didn't you? doesn't it sound too rude?

FortunateSon said:
Yeah, it is serious. Well, why would I get called out on it? It's my OPINION. People don't need to know my reasons.

Well, it's going to be a tough hill to climb for Sony and the Ps3 in Japan that's for sure. I think it will surge at some point in it's lifetime.

Okay, but if you don't list your reasons then you haven't really presented anything worth discussing. Dissenting opinions are awesome, but you need to have a solid argument behind it or you're going to be laughed at in a thread full of people who worship decimal places and t-tests.

Innotech

Banned
FortunateSon said:

is your OPINION going to change the FACT that Ps3 has to first sell an additional 2 million to catch up, then reach over 70k/week to even catch up to Wii (assuming wiis stopped selling today)

Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, but if you don't list your reasons then you haven't really presented anything worth discussing. Dissenting opinions are awesome, but you need to have a solid argument behind it or you're going to be laughed at in a thread full of people who worship Decimal Places and T-Tests.
Fixed. Give reverence where it's due.

Evlar

Banned
Oblivion said:
Oh, come on man. You're better than this.

Yep, I've thought the same thing quite a few times in the past. It'd be downright hilarious if we see a few years down the line people thinking third party games won't sell on a Sony system kinda like the way people think about that for Nintendo systems.

Expanding on the "Sony is becoming Nintendo is becoming Sony" thing... There's a big difference in how Nintendo develops titles and how Sony does it. Nintendo has become the epitome of lean development: small, tightly orchestrated teams cranking out games at a regular rate for relatively low HR cost with predictably high sales. New IP receive smaller budgets (but not necessarily untalented teams). Existing IP receive higher budgets inversely proportional to the perceived risk, with the highest budgets of all corresponding with the games with virtually no risk of losing money (Zelda TP, SMG, Smash).

Sony on the other hand has HUGE development teams, invested in any number of high-budget, new IP projects. The risks are less calculated and there is much less emphasis on profitability. Large resources are poured into projects with novel or unclear revenue streams, like Home. And the largest existing Sony IP of all has completely vanished from one platform and has so far produced only a free demo on the PS3 (talking about Gran Turismo of course).

It always seemed to me that Sony's first party was not geared toward profitability. They certainly HAVE profited on certain titles, like GT. But they take big risks, they use a large quantity of resources, they duplicate effort, they're very decentralized as opposed to Nintendo's rigid centralization... They're not prepared, as they're structured right now, to carry a platform on their own. Because when one of their games flops it will lose a LOT of money and waste a LOT of time, unlike Nintendo's operation which invests less and risks less. And there WILL be first-party flops. It's inevitable.

FortunateSon said:
What did I say wrong in that post? Just enlighten me?

You just keep going on and on about the same thing. People are going to disagree with you, that's life.

Also this is a sales thread, everything in these threads is usually backed up by 'facts' not someone's fanboy reasonings.

Jammy

Banned
FortunateSon said:

Your opinion is based on... what exactly?

And what is your last comment supposed to mean? The Japan now isn't the Japan of five or ten years ago. There are more females playing systems than ever before. There are more mature people playing games than ever before. Your stereotypes of RPGs, epic storyline games, and tentacle rape/sims/patchinko, etc. games selling hugely is no longer present. Japan is a much more thriving market now. The HD TV penetration is also quite a bit bigger than it is in the U.S., and people still aren't buying HD consoles.

sphinx said:
I was here earlier, don't blame me ... -_-

and you said " guys like him smell like bullshit " didn't you? doesn't it sound too rude?
By a month. And he posts more, and regularly in Sales-Age threads.

On further inspection, you seem to post in Sales-age as well. Weird. Maybe I've just not been differentiating between the two of you. Boy that's gotta be awkward for the two of you. Maybe you should get together and both change your names.

Deku

Banned
bmf said:
I'm of the opinion that the strategy for the PS3 was for it to be carried by third parties, and bolstered by high end first party efforts. I believe that Kutaragi didn't deliver the PS3 that he was supposed to, and that failure shot their business plan all to hell. At this point they're just struggling to make up something that sounds good, and hoping to hell that it works.

That may have been the original plan but the root of the problem surfaced before it was even revealed at E3 2006. The lack of 3rd party titles was endemic right from the start, largely because 3rd parties either didn't get dev kits in time, Sony didn't care to divulge the information, the poor E3 showing followed by poor sales discouraged 3rd party development. One, some or all of the above reasons conspired to create their current situation.

The expansion of internal development since E3 06 has only exacerbated the situation.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, but if you don't list your reasons then you haven't really presented anything worth discussing. Dissenting opinions are awesome, but you need to have a solid argument behind it or you're going to be laughed at in a thread full of people who worship decimal places and t-tests.

I came in this thread just to say how boring MC threads are and from then on, it just shot off.

I'm actually not into that whole sales argument shit but that doesn't mean I can't make a post about my opinion on it.

Like honestly, wtf?

Are you Japanese?

Nope. Just going with the usual, Japanese like jrpg's and all the quirky games right? Like Minna No Golf and stuff right? So yeah.

I mean you're calling Japanese people delusional for not buying your system. What does that even mean?

Oh, nvm. That was stupid. Can we let it go? Other then that comment, I don't see anything that is stupid in my post. It's just all MO's and that's it.

Innotech

Banned
FortunateSon said:
I came in this thread just to say how boring MC threads are and from then on, it just shot off.

I'm actually not into that whole sales argument shit but that doesn't mean I can't make a post about my opinion on it.

Like honestly, wtf?

on the contrary. you have made this thread MUCH more interesting :lol

PkunkFury

FortunateSon said:

this is the type of thing people will call you out on. What about the PS3 makes it appealing to Japanese? The large form factor? The high price of hardware and games? The huge power drain? The online focus they may not care for? The few and far between major Eastern-style releases?

I don't think you understand what the Japanese consumer is looking for. If anything, the DS sales records should paint a better picture. The PS3 seems to lean much more to American and European tastes at the moment.

People are being pretty cruel to you for voicing your opinion that the PS3 will come back in this thread. I don't think it's outright wrong to say it won't start selling something like the GameCube did once FF13 and a number of price drops are on its side. But when you call people delusional for not buying a product they don't want, I think you're opening the door for GAF to jump on you. You've projected your own gaming interests onto the entire nation of Japan. If you had been following Media Create sales as long as some of the folks in these threads have, instead of dismissing them as boring, you'd know that the same old game styles of last gen were leading to a crash, and the Japanese market was looking for something new. Japan's interests are spoken for by the Japanese market itself, and they are reflected in the weekly Media Create numbers

FortunateSon said:
You guys are crazy. Relax, it's just what I think on the whole situation.
"Hey guys, I should be able to just waltz into a thread, make a bunch of totally unsupported and baseless claims, then not be called on it. If you ask me to explain myself, you're crazy!"

I agree that DQS is selling better than the PS3. Thank you for pointing that out. I might have missed that. I think such data may point to the Wii selling better than the PS3 once again. I am thinking the margin may be 6:1, perhaps higher due to the routine absence of PS3 titles worth playing. What do you think?

FortunateSon said:

Like honestly, wtf?
Okay, let me see if I've got this.

You came into this thread to say this thread is boring. You gave your opinion which runs quite against the current facts of the matter. You gave pretty much no reasons or arguments to back your opinion. You essentially label anyone that calls you out on this a Nintendo fanman.

Somehow, you are shocked and hurt that people are not being nice to you.

Well **** man, I guess it's a goddam mystery.

ethelred

FortunateSon said:
Are Media Create numbers even interesting anymore?

FortunateSon said:
I came in this thread just to say how boring MC threads are

FortunateSon said:
I'm actually not into that whole sales argument shit

FortunateSon said:
Fact is, the Media Create threads are pretty boring.

FortunateSon said:

FortunateSon said:
-I find MC threads boring.

Gotcha.

FortunateSon said:
Exactly. You proved my point. They are nothing alike. Two different companies, they think differently.

Just because some occassions just seem eerily similar doesn't mean shit.

Like, the f**k?
Well of course I don't think Iwata is Kutaragi with a different haircut or anything, but if certain things are "eerily similar" as you say, that gives a valid basis for comparison, and predicting what will happen moving forward.
SNES big -> N64 bad first year -> N64 bad entire generation dominated by PS1
gives most of us reason to suspect
PS2 big -> PS3 bad first year -> PS3 bad entire generation dominated by Wii
rather than
PS2 big -> PS3 bad first year -> PS3 good rest of generation nearing Wii

Innotech

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, let me see if I've got this.

You came into this thread to say this thread is boring. You gave your opinion which runs quite against the current facts of the matter. You gave pretty much no reasons or arguments to back your opinion. You essentially label anyone that calls you out on this a Nintendo fanman.

Somehow, you are shocked and hurt that people are not being nice to you.

Well **** man, I guess it's a goddam mystery.
:lol

KachoMakura said:
You just keep going on and on about the same thing. People are going to disagree with you, that's life.

Fair enough. Maybe people should leave me alone? I just stated my damn opinion.

Also this is a sales thread, everything in these threads is usually backed up by 'facts' not someone's fanboy reasonings.

'Facts' - Really? I wouldn't call speculating 'facts. Anything can happen. 'Facts' is when you have SOLID proof of something.

I don't see that much of in here. It's just the usual speculation in the future going by trends.

Your opinion is based on... what exactly?

Games. Mainly that. Other stuff too but I'm scared to touch ano of those arguments. Hell no. I'm backing the f**k away from that.

you have made this thread MUCH more interesting

Honestly? I think, yeah. At least I contributed to a rather boring MC thread. :lol :lol

Top Bottom