• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/10-9/16 2007

spwolf

justchris said:
Well, to be fair to Sony, did you expect the Wii to suddenly go into a lull for a month or more? Sony's obviously been preparing to fight a guerilla battle for the holiday season, and were probably as surprised as anyone to see a crack appear in Nintendo's unassailable Wii fortress. And with no sure idea of how long they last, it may not even be worth it for them to scramble to change their plans at this point.

if Sony were like you and me, then i would agree... but all of the analysts predicted exactly what is happening now (and no, I dont consider patchtchetrt one), so I dont see how can everyone be suprised.

felipeko

spwolf said:
if Sony were like you and me, then i would agree... but all of the analysts predicted exactly what is happening now (and no, I dont consider patchtchetrt one), so I dont see how can everyone be suprised.
You mean, PSP outselling DS?! :lol

Oh it's spwolf...

spwolf said:
Are you referring to the "it's a fad it'll die out soon" analysis? If so do you expect Wii sales to remain relatively low from now on?

Brofist

Knastluder said:
Herrje,calm down you are easily offended .Yes, I meant a big game anytime soon as Lobster has mentioned before.However,the PSP sales are pretty stable even if no games are released, aproximately between 25-32 each week .

Of course, "dead" just meaning nothing for the next couple weeks. Naturally.

gcubed

Phife Dawg said:
Are you referring to the "it's a fad it'll die out soon" analysis? If so do you expect Wii sales to remain relatively low from now on?

well sales are reaching GCN numbers, so sales will drop off rapidly and die shortly.

sorry, i had to, no one brought it up yet! :D

ksamedi

Crisis Core is fanservice to one of the best selling FF title. It should have done much more even if it is a spinoff, it will probably reach a million but i would have expected 1 million first week.

And the DS does need a price cut, sales have only been declining the last couple of months. I think it still has 150k weekly numbers in it for another year if the price was a little lower.

Loudninja

ksamedi said:
Crisis Core is fanservice to one of the best selling FF title. It should have done much more even if it is a spinoff, it will probably reach a million but i would have expected 1 million first week.

And the DS does need a price cut, sales have only been declining the last couple of months. I think it still has 150k weekly numbers in it for another year if the price was a little lower.

Yeah, sale a million units you do NOT HAVE.

ziran

Shouldn't Sony fans be more concerned about the potential of PS3 dropping below 10K again in the coming weeks, rather than being pleased at the decline in Wii sales?

I mean, it's not much of victory if Wii is still the best selling home console of the week :lol

I'm reminded of the story of the guy who chopped through the branch he was sitting on and plummeted to the ground, landing on a huge pile of unsold PS3s.

EDIT-
Fischbrot said:
Next week Mario Strikers and Sengoku Musou Katana for Wii. :)
Maybe they'll have an effect, but I don't think they're going to do much for selling hw. There's going to be a seasonal boost beginning November and because of SMG, but unless Nintendo has some other titles planned or Wii Fit is released in October, I can see it being slow for several weeks.

Eteric Rice said:
Also, keep in mind that VII sort of made RPGs mainstream. The ones before that were considered niche at the time.
This is much more the case in the west. FF and DQ were multi-million sellers in Japan well before 1997.
underfooter said:
Did Endless Ocean bomba or what?
Its sales were low compared to most games we think of as successes, but decent compared to its predecessors.
BishopLamont said:
That's not a bad idea, will really show who's got the FF fanbase on lock. Come to think of it, two new KH spin off games for the DS and PSP. Damn SE been reading GAF!
Even if DS and PSP got the very same game we'd still see arguments like

"But the PSP one sold decently in spite of a smaller userbase!"
and
"But the DS one sold decently in spite of sitting next to a better-looking PSP version!"

to spin things one way or the other.
spwolf said:
if Sony were like you and me, then i would agree... but all of the analysts predicted exactly what is happening now
Which things happening now are you talking about, and who said they'd happen?
Loudninja said:
Yeah, sale a million units you do NOT HAVE.
Not to specifically pick on you, but because I see them interchanged all the time.
Sale is a noun.
Right: There aren't a million units on sale.
Wrong: There aren't a million units to sale.

Sell is a verb.
Right: They're selling a lot of copies of this game.
Wrong: This game has high sells.

Hi, all. They had Wii systems stacked up like cordwood here:

yodobashi-akiba.jpg

Fortunately, though, they had the updated version of Taiko no Tatsujin DS.

ethelred said:
Feel free to bookmark this: the PSP Kingdom Hearts will sell much better than the DS Kingdom Hearts.
Very likely.

But I have a feeling the PSP sounds like more effort is going into it (and yes I know the DS has the bigger userbase, but that also means more competition) and is closer to what true KH is.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
FF: Crystal Chronicles has had some pretty strong legs, no?
Didn't it barely drop the last couple weeks? Seems to be solid growing from its slow start.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Magicpaint said:
Very likely.

But I have a feeling the PSP sounds like more effort is going into it (and yes I know the DS has the bigger userbase, but that also means more competition) and is closer to what true KH is.

Yeah, which team is making the PSP version anyway? Would make sense if it's the same team that did FFVII:CC, in which case they could just use the same engine as well.

Kiriku said:
Yeah, which team is making the PSP version anyway? Would make sense if it's the same team that did FFVII:CC, in which case they could just use the same engine as well.
Same team as the Crisis Core guys.

Retrofluxed

All I'm trying to figure out is that all these people are freaking out that the Wii isn't selling as much, but neither is the PS3 (or 360 for that matter). Wouldn't the low sales of the Wii combined with the falling sales of the PS3 show that just not many people are buying consoles right now? Or is it just fun to spout Nintendo am DOOMED all the time?

ksamedi

ethelred said:
Guaranteed.

I think Disney and the Nintendo DS is a better fit. But im not going to bet with you or anything. From what i understand, the DS game is a multiplayer focused game which is always bad for sales.

BTW regarding KH sales, when I say 'very likely', I mean Japan only (considering this is a Media-Create thread afterall). I think the PSP one will do much better there.

PSP software sales are particularly terrible in NA and Europe, so it's likely the DS one will do better in the other regions (I know ~ 60% of CoM's sales came from NA alone).

ziran said:
Shouldn't Sony fans be more concerned about the potential of PS3 dropping below 10K again in the coming weeks, rather than being pleased at the decline in Wii sales?

I mean, it's not much of victory if Wii is still the best selling home console of the week :lol

I'm reminded of the story of the guy who chopped through the branch he was sitting on and plummeted to the ground, landing on a huge pile of unsold PS3s.

EDIT-

Maybe they'll have an effect, but I don't think they're going to do much for selling hw. There's going to be a seasonal boost beginning November and because of SMG, but unless Nintendo has some other titles planned or Wii Fit is released in October, I can see it being slow for several weeks.

Agreed. Simply two or three weeks don't make the difference when you have dominated for last year and even before.

Saitou

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
It's been in the charts the last few weeks, ever since they got rid of that bug. Of course it doesn't roam around in the top10 so we don't have any numbers besides opening week.
Woah, they fixed the bug? How? Issued a patch?
Nice.

Also, what ethel says is pretty much a no brainer. And it has nothing to do with the quality or even genre of the games.

ethelred said:
Feel free to bookmark this: the PSP Kingdom Hearts will sell much better than the DS Kingdom Hearts.
Tell me.

Which system is more likely to have the bulk of the kids that consist of Disney's target audience.

DS, or PSP?

ethelred

PataHikari said:
Tell me.

Which system is more likely to have the bulk of the kids that consist of Disney's target audience.

DS, or PSP?

Wait, sorry, Disney's target audience? We're talking about the latest Disney's Singing High School Princess game? I thought we were talking about two Kingdom Hearts spinoffs from Square Enix in which case what I said stands: the PSP game will sell substantially more than the DS game can hope to.

Izzy said:
Interesting info on first day PSP Slim, MGSPO+ sales - http://ameblo.jp/get6-2

- Super big sold-out of PSP Slim expected

- Good start for MGS:pO+, sold-out expected, the best first-day sales for this week's new titles perhaps

- A little bit "underperformed" for Mario Strikers Charged

- A lot of CCFF7+PSP Slim purchases seen

ethelred said:
Wait, sorry, Disney's target audience? We're talking about the latest Disney's Singing High School Princess game? I thought we were talking about two Kingdom Hearts spinoffs from Square Enix in which case what I said stands: the PSP game will sell substantially more than the DS game can hope to.

Yes Disney's target audience.

Have you forgotten that KH is a Disney series?

Saitou

Banned
PataHikari said:
Yes Disney's target audience.

Have you forgotten that KH is a Disney series?
Have you even played the games?

KH is moving away from Disney and more towards FF-like smut for preteens. KH games could remove all mention of Disney from now on and it would not impact one iota in its sales.

Saitou said:
Have you even played the games?

KH is moving away from Disney and more towards FF-like smut for preteens. KH games could remove all mention of Disney from now on and it would not impact one iota in its sales.
Yes I've played them.

'm talking about marketing. It's a Disney game, Disney is way more popular then Square, Mickey and co do a lot to sell the game.

The DS KH game will outsell the PSP one.

ethelred said:
I cannot have forgotten the truth of something that is manifestly false.
Kindly look at the copyrights on the games.

Top Bottom