• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/10-9/16 2007

ethelred

PataHikari said:
Kindly look at the copyrights on the games.

Developed by Square Enix, published by Square Enix, marketed by Square Enix. It wasn't Bob Iger that went out in Tokyo today to announce the new spinoffs. It's been Tetsuya Nomura talking about the plans for them and hyping them up over the past few months.

PataHikari said:
I'm talking about marketing. It's a Disney game, Disney is way more popular then Square, Mickey and co do a lot to sell the game.

The DS KH game will outsell the PSP one.

Kindly point out the last Disney Interactive or Buena Vista game to outsell a top-selling Square Enix game in Japan.

No, go on. I'll wait.

ethelred

PataHikari said:
Kingdom Hearts.

Ouch, strike one.

Code:
Kingdom Hearts		840,497
Final Fantasy X		2,325,215

Care to take another whack at that? C'mon, Casey, I know you can do it. We all believe in you.

The DS game will outsell the PSP game, period. I see no way it can't. The PSP game, like all PSP games, will have little legs, while the DS version, with multiplayer, will likely have some legs, both will sell well, but bigger user base + longer legs = bigger sales.

I don't know how well the DS KH will sell but I sure as hell hope it gets outsold dramatically by the PSP KH. I do not want Square Enix doing anything more with the DS.

PataHikari said:
The DS game will outsell the PSP game, period. I see no way it can't. The PSP game, like all PSP games, will have little legs, while the DS version, with multiplayer, will likely have some legs, both will sell well, but bigger user base + longer legs = bigger sales.

...What did that have to do with ethelred's last statement?

Anyway, both of the KH handheld games are moving away from their original focus of running around Disney worlds and experiencing their storylines - they're getting wrapped up in their own pretentious storylines about existences and memories and whatnot. It's becoming less and less appealing to those who bought it for Disney.

I know, because I bought it for Disney.

I don't know how well the DS KH will sell but I sure as hell hope it gets outsold dramatically by the PSP KH. I do not want Square Enix doing anything more with the DS.

Somehow, I don't really think the KH games will decide this either way.

Pureauthor said:
Absoultly nothing because Mr. Ethelred's statement really has nothing to do with whichever version outsells the other, and there's no logical reason for the PSP version outselling the DS version other then some idiotic idea that Square is more "suited" for the PSP when raw numbers dictate otherwise.

If Square wasn't suited for the DS DQ9 would not be on it.

Saitou said:
Woah, they fixed the bug? How? Issued a patch?
Nice.

Also, what ethel says is pretty much a no brainer. And it has nothing to do with the quality or even genre of the games.
Re-release. Iirc you could also swap the old game disc for a new one via Nintendo. Pretty much what will be happening for SPM in Europe.

ethelred

PataHikari said:
Absoultly nothing

I'm glad you're conceding that you're flat out wrong here and can't support the statements you're making. It's always good when people admit defeat graciously.

ethelred said:
PataHikari said:
I'm talking about marketing. It's a Disney game, Disney is way more popular then Square, Mickey and co do a lot to sell the game.

The DS KH game will outsell the PSP one.

Kindly point out the last Disney Interactive or Buena Vista game to outsell a top-selling Square Enix game in Japan.

No, go on. I'll wait.

Also, as to this:

there's no logical reason for the PSP version outselling the DS version other then some idiotic idea that Square is more "suited" for the PSP

I didn't say that they are! I just said the PSP version will absolutely sell more than the DS version. You filled in the blanks yourself (does this speak to some insecurity on your end, perhaps? I cannot say).

M3d10n

ethelred said:
Crystal Chronicles is a small budget game now? That game was gorgeous, and pushed the GameCube phenomenally. You think Crisis Core's development costs were bigger? You think the human resource costs were bigger? Crisis Core was made by Square Enix's cell phone team -- Crystal Chronicles was made by Kazuhiko Aoki, one of the founding staffers of Square who worked on the original Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger.

The original Crystal Chronicles was amazingly cheap. Most monster models came straight from FFIX (down to the animations), there aren't that many dungeons or towns (and many are quite small in size). It also didn't have any CG. In overall, the game had much less content than the usual Square RPG.

It was highly polished, though, and that what makes it look bigger than it really was. Pushing the system does not mean "high budget". All you need is the luck to have one or two crazy programmers on the team who are willing to go out of their way.

ethelred said:
I didn't say that they are! I just said the PSP version will absolutely sell more than the DS version. You filled in the blanks yourself (does this speak to some insecurity on your end, perhaps? I cannot say).

Well someone said that Square is more suited to the PSP then the DS. (OK it was PhoenixDark)

Why do you think the PSP one will outsell the DS one? I've given my reasoning

DS Has the bigger userbase, more kids to sell Disney stuff too, and the game itself will likely have longer legs thanks to the multiplayer options.

PhoenixDark said:
1. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - 487,000 / NEW
8. [NDS] Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Ring of Fates - 24,000 / 316,000

FF does better on the PSP. Why isn't Square Enix recognizing this?

These joke-accounts are annoying after a while....

PhoenixDark said:
What have I done:lol

btw where is Anihawk?

Definitely a joke-acount.

sphinx said:
I do not want to sound rude... but I too think this "playstation philosophy" is bullshit . :lol

Final Fantasy 1-6 didn't have a single problem selling good under the "nintendo philosophy" of the early 90s... shouldn't have FFVII felt "out of place" on a playstation system since final fantasy was, until that time, more in line with the " nintendo philosophy" ?

?

/discussion. Thanks Sphinks.

Anyway, this thread is a concentrate of fanboys who say nothing but bullshits and open new, useless wars of the type "PSP KH will sell more then DS KH" or "Sony is back" or "Nintendo id d00med" or what you want.

FACTS say, instead, that FF PSP performed well and that it can have legs thanks overall to the "big" "new" shipment of PSP Slim. Of course it has been slighty overshadowed by Pokémon, but after all, we are speaking about the second biggest franchise ever, so I don't see how many are now surprised. And the "overshadowing" is relative either, because almost 500k cannot be a bad thing.

Second, if someone says that DS need a price cut or that Wii is doomed is insane, because if 70k is NOT a low score, no matter from which angle you see it and this even if the DS, in a insane way, sold for 21 weeks more then 100k. Instead, I find it not strange at all that after almost 21 millions machine sold only in Japan, the handheld is slighty slowing down. But for how much ? Square-Enix Fiesta (Dragon Quest & FF) is coming guys and this will sure have some effect. Same for the Wii: as long as Wii > PS3 & X360 combined I don't see the problem. This should have been the standard sales of the console since its launch, but, guess what, it ONLY broke all records is Japan and sold ONLY more then 3 millions in one year. And Galaxy, Smash and, more important, Wii Fit are coming.

Third: everyone who say that PSP is a bomb is insane too, because the handheld proved to be a rentable second machine in the market, with very solid hardware sales. Software sales could have been better, but this is Sony's fault, because they were (and still are) paranoid with the PS3 and don't support enough the PSP. The question is if PSP Slim can mantain a higher weekly hardware sales the the original PSP and how long. But I have little doubt it can. The answer depends from the software, that is still relative poor, but not bad at all. But it can be better.

Fourth: who is really in trouble in Japan ? PS3 and X360. Period. Bad hardware and bad software sales for both: it's a no brain, because the machines are not enough profitable (I' speaking about Japan, don't try...you understood). PS3 is behind the Gamecube. X360 isn't doing much differently from the original Xbox.

Saitou

Banned
PataHikari said:
Well someone said that Square is more suited to the PSP then the DS. (OK it was PhoenixDark)

Why do you think the PSP one will outsell the DS one? I've given my reasoning

DS Has the bigger userbase, more kids to sell Disney stuff too, and the game itself will likely have longer legs thanks to the multiplayer options.
You don't seem to understand that the KH brand is moving away from Disney.

Until you get that, further discussion is useless.

Saitou said:

Until you get that, further discussion is useless.
OK fine cut out my whole "It's a Disney game" argument.

That still leaves in the "Bigger userbase" and "Likely to have longer legs" argument.

vitaflo

All I know is if FFVII was on DS and Crystal Chronicles on PSP, FFVII still would have sold more. The sales are a reflection of the game, not the system.

Saitou said:
I'm not exactly an expert on this series, but weren't even the characters original to the game described as "new Disney characters"?

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm not exactly an expert on this series, but weren't even the characters original to the game described as "new Disney characters"?

Doesn't change that they're full-on belts-and-zippers creations by Nomura.

Thematically, as well, as in terms of prominent characters, the series has started moving away from Disney ever since KH:CoM. KH2 only solidified that perception.

Saitou

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
A clarification is in order.

KH is moving away from the Disney presentation in such a way that it will not appeal to the Disney crowd like the first game did. It won't be selling to the Disney-tot market, but the hardcore FF-gamer market.

KH cannot abandon Disney entirely since Disney actually is part-owner of the franchise, but they have no say on its direction. Disney has its own game studio now.

EDIT: THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH, PUREAUTHOR. YOU HAVE MADE A POWERFUL ENEMY TODAY

jarrod

Banned
vitaflo said:
All I know is if FFVII was on DS and Crystal Chronicles on PSP, FFVII still would have sold more. The sales are a reflection of the game, not the system.
Bingo.

Now, what would sell more, FFVII DS or FFVII PSP? :lol

Saitou said:
KH cannot abandon Disney entirely since Disney actually is part-owner of the franchise, but they have no say on its direction.

Disney isn't "part"-owner of the franchise. They own 100% of the IP; Sora, Riku, and Kairi are as much their property as Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. They certainly do have "say" on its direction, provided they decide to exercise it. In fact, Disney likely already has done so, if only in minor ways; I doubt it was Nomura's decision to include Chicken Little in KHII, for instance.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Pureauthor said:

Anyway, both of the KH handheld games are moving away from their original focus of running around Disney worlds and experiencing their storylines - they're getting wrapped up in their own pretentious storylines about existences and memories and whatnot. It's becoming less and less appealing to those who bought it for Disney.

I know, because I bought it for Disney.

Somehow, I don't really think the KH games will decide this either way.

I came in just to look at the last page of this thread, and I see this. Kingdom Hearts are moving away from the Disney theme? That is the only reason I bought the game for myself and a copy for a friend of mine. IMO Kingdom Heart will not be as interesting without the Disney theme! Can some one tell me where this info came from, I didn't see this information in the KH Game Informer thread.

Some of you guys are on crack. The fact that you've identified a broad trend (DS games > PSP games) does not excuse you from more in-depth analysis. The KH situation here is almost exactly analogous to the current CC situation -- a game that is going to be perceived as a "full-fledged franchise entry" (KH PSP) is going to draw in a dedicated audience that is not similarly attracted to a game that will be perceived as a minor spinoff (KH DS).

There are, obviously, a number of factors that could change this: specific release dates, further revelations about gameplay (if the PSP game isn't an action-RPG in the KH1/2 mold that'll change things), etc. but in general there's no good reason to expect KH DS to do better, just as there was no good reason to expect FF7CC to underperform something like Revenant Wings.

EDIT: I'd kind of like to see an FF4DS/FF8PSP showdown, that would be interesting.

vitaflo said:

This can't happen even in imagination. I don't see how CCFF7 can be done on NDS without seriously downgrading, to a point it will actually become another game.

AnimeTheme said:
This can't happen even in imagination. I don't see how CCFF7 can be done on NDS without seriously downgrading, to a point it will actually become another game.

missingthepoint-734.png

Father_Brain said:

:lol

There is simply NO point in that comparison at all. NDS simply doesn't have the hardware power to do something like CCFF7. Yeah it may still have a FF7 "spin-off" of its own, something like FF12:RW perhaps, but that's another story.

botticus

AnimeTheme said:

There is simply NO point in that comparison at all. NDS simply doesn't have the hardware power to do something like CCFF7. Yeah it may still have a FF7 "spin-off" of its own, something like FF12:RW perhaps, but that's another story.
It was a hypothetical. Same games on different systems.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Dawn of Souls, Tactics Advance, and FFI-II NGPC would like to have a word with you.
Gotta ask, but did you mean the NGPC or the WonderSwan in this?

I didn't realize any FF was released on the NGPC.

AnimeTheme said:

fail.jpg

botticus said:
It was a hypothetical. Same games on different systems.

CCFF7 sells on PSP not just because it is FF7, but also the game itself actually fits the system to show the power of the FF7 brand. It's not like you just stick a FF7 label on any game and it will sell on whatever system.

Threi

notag
AnimeTheme said:
CCFF7 sells on PSP not just because it is FF7, but also the game itself actually fits the system to show the power of the FF7 brand. It's not like you just stick a FF7 label on any game and it will sell on whatever system.

...what?

Saitou

Banned
AnimeTheme said:
Dirge of Cerberus.

I have just rendered your argument obsolete.

AnimeTheme said:

But you can stick any FF7 label on any game and it'll sell on whatever system, If a FFXII - a PS2 game can spawn a DS game spinoff which is FFXII:RW, what makes you think CCFF7 can't be done on the DS? Sure it won't be the same PSP game...but that's the whole point. You make the game to cater to that specific platform.

Saitou said:
Dirge of Cerberus.

I have just rendered your argument obsolete.

Huh....?

BishopLamont said:
But you can stick any FF7 label on any game and it'll sell on whatever system, If a FFXII - a PS2 game can spawn a DS game spinoff which is FFXII:RW, what makes you think CCFF7 can't be done on the DS? Sure it won't be the same PSP game...but that's the whole point. You make the game to cater to that specific platform.

The point is, it would be very difficult for a FF7 spin-off on NDS to sell at or above the CCFF7 PSP level, no matter how the game is catered to the platform.

Some games just lose their magics where they are on other platforms, even when the brand power still exists somehow.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
AnimeTheme said:
Huh....?

The point is, it would be very difficult for a FF7 spin-off on NDS to sell at or above the CCFF7 PSP level, no matter how the game is catered to the platform.

Some games just lose their magics where they are on other platforms, even when the brand power still exists somehow.

So in other words, nobody but Sony can effectively sell Final Fantasy.

jarrod

Banned
AnimeTheme said:

A hypothetical FFVII-2 DS would move like 2 million 1st week if there was enough supply. Quit kidding yourself. :lol

Grampasso

AnimeTheme said:

So how much do you think DQIX will sell on DS? Just to be curious... given the success of its last iteration (3,5+M) on a Sony console it should sell something like less than 1 million (basing this on the proportion "the more a franchise sells on a Sony console, the less it will sell on a Nintendo one").

Grecco

AnimeTheme said:
Huh....?

LOL Wow. There is no way in hell a FF7 Prequel/Sequel on the ds would be outsold by CCFF on the PSP

AnimeTheme said:

It sells because it fits the system? So when you're looking for a game to purchase every now and then you just throw it back and say "Well, It's a good game, But it just doesn't fit the system."

Like what the hell does it even mean for a game to fit a system?

AniHawk

AnimeTheme said:
Huh....?

Look at it this way:

The PSP is dead. It's never had any games and it won't be getting any in the future. Why people still cling to this thing I'll never know.

AniHawk said:
Look at it this way:

The PSP is dead. It's never had any games and it won't be getting any in the future. Why people still cling to this thing I'll never know.
Its one of the many great mysteries of life.

AniHawk

Wii continues to fail. Same for DS. PS3 performs superbly given there aren't any games for it. Same for PSP.

Honestly the similarities are pretty interesting.

Top Bottom