• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/10-9/16 2007

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, the inference was that the games that sold higher are the ones with more effort spent developing it, had a larger budget, and more marketing. Thus they sold better.

I never EVER said budgets with games don't matter.

How in the hell would I infer that from your reply? Sphinx said Final Fantasy was exclusive to Sony for 10 years; I pointed out games that showed he was off by a bit.

Then you replied:lol OMG THOSE GAMEZ DIDN'T HAVE THE SAME BUDGETZ AS THE 2 MAIN FF ENTRIES LAST GEN OR A PSP GAME.:lol :lol

I was not talking about sale in the message you quoted. I was talking about the existence of games and you laughingly wrote off that reply because they cost less to make.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Azelover said:
FF will do well on Nintendo systems but it goes along with the "Playstation" philosophy more than it does with Nintendo's.

Do tell what this "Playstation philosophy" is. I'm all ears.

Verve

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I slapped this together using the data from the first post, Japan-GameCharts, and doing a bit of rounding. I included the Chocobo game since it got FF-branded outside of Japan and would be asked about if left out, but didn't include the FF/DQ Itadaki Street for PSP. Obviously the FF:CC pair are still growing.
20070920ffdspsp.png

quoting this to not get lost as last post of page 2...

i actually wanted to say something about the data, but then i was confused of jushuas new avatar ^^

sphinx

the piano man
DavidDayton said:

I do not want to sound rude... but I too think this "playstation philosophy" is bullshit . :lol

Final Fantasy 1-6 didn't have a single problem selling good under the "nintendo philosophy" of the early 90s... shouldn't have FFVII felt "out of place" on a playstation system since final fantasy was, until that time, more in line with the " nintendo philosophy" ?

?

Eteric Rice

sphinx said:
I do not want to sound rude... but I too think this "playstation philosophy" is bullshit . :lol

Final Fantasy 1-6 didn't have a single problem selling good under the "nintendo philosophy" of the early 90s... shouldn't have FFVII felt "out of place" on a playstation system since final fantasy was, until that time, more in line with the " nintendo philosophy" ?

?

Also, keep in mind that VII sort of made RPGs mainstream. The ones before that were considered niche at the time.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Eteric Rice said:
Also, keep in mind that VII sort of made RPGs mainstream. The ones before that were considered niche at the time.

Sadly Amazing RPG's like Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star 2, Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force 2, Chrono Trigger, FF6, Secret of Mana, and Super Mario RPG didn't get to ride the FF7 wave.

:(

sphinx said:

?

Amen.

Wii hardware will be lower this week again. Very interesting. Too bad Sony can't capitalize on Wii's weakness with the PS3, it would have made things interesting for a couple of weeks.

Interesting to see the Mysterious Dungeon game outselling CC by a pretty big margin, a lot of people have called this but I wasn't sure tbh.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
You're not Cheesemeister....

Anyway, SE release one of their biggest games of the year for PSP, and Nintendo come back with a Pokemon side game and easily beat it in week one sales, Bravo Ninty, heh.

Slow week again for Wii, awaiting big titles now, and as said, this is where Sony could have been making a killing with PS3, and is totally failing to take the opportunity, it wont get it again this year once the Mario games come out.

Kosma

Banned
DavidDayton said:

Cinematic gaming.

Hey I own a Wii and a DS (no PS3 yet), but these Nintendo consoles aren't really tailored to the vision of a numbered FF installment.

oo Kosma oo said:
Cinematic gaming.

Hey I own a Wii and a DS (no PS3 yet), but these Nintendo consoles aren't really tailored to the vision of a numbered FF installment.

Nintendo consoles can't do FMVs?

Kosma

Banned
rikitikitik said:
But PS1 and PS2 can?

At the time? Yes.

This argument is getting old, find some new material. I don't even freaking own a PS3 yet but I would cry bitter tears if FFXIII was downgraded to my Wii. I'd rather save up some money and play the game in line with the artistic vision of the creators. Cause frankly when I turn on my Wii I feel like I'm traveling back in time graphics wise.

angelfly

oo Kosma oo said:
Cinematic gaming.

Nintendo consoles were sufficient for 6 numbered installments. FF VI is plenty cinematic.

cvxfreak

Raw64life said:
Good point? It's not like this is the first Media Create thread I've posted.

Next week can be all yours if it'll stop people from spamming lock requests.

Um, I didn't say anything about this thread being unworthy. It's perfectly fine actually. :D

justchris

Stop It said:
Slow week again for Wii, awaiting big titles now, and as said, this is where Sony could have been making a killing with PS3, and is totally failing to take the opportunity, it wont get it again this year once the Mario games come out.

Well, to be fair to Sony, did you expect the Wii to suddenly go into a lull for a month or more? Sony's obviously been preparing to fight a guerilla battle for the holiday season, and were probably as surprised as anyone to see a crack appear in Nintendo's unassailable Wii fortress. And with no sure idea of how long they last, it may not even be worth it for them to scramble to change their plans at this point.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Its nice to see a PSP game on the top of the list (dont own a PSP it just means there is some challenge)

Makes me sad its just a FFVII spinoff... shooting fish in a... well... really... it HAD to sell

sphinx

the piano man
oo Kosma oo said:
Keep on dreaming guys.

I think I get what you are trying to say. I agree with you in that I don't want to have the FFXIII we have seen donwgraded to make it possible on Wii.

but saying nintendo consoles can't be cinematic is nonsense, bullshit if you allow. you can have all sorts of cinematics on any console of this and the past generation, in fact.

the fact that SE conceived FFXIII as a cinematic experience is a coincidence. They also had the choice to make the Final fantasies of this generaton a waggle experience with the Wii or completely functional online games for 360 but no, they choose power and performance, things the PS3 excels at but it was Square's choice, it's not like final fantasy game require cinematics. It's just an option, a proposal of a game presentation. mmh I am not sure I made myself clear here :lol

lsslave

Jew Gamer
*cough* ASH sais that cinematic can be done ANYWHERE

seriously it will have some grainy textures and the like I am sure, but the only thing that REALLY makes it look DS is the small resolution!

The game could be worked for Wii with some upped textures and higher resolution!

Cinematic = possible anywhere with effort

1080p + BR = easier to do ~.^

cvxfreak

By the way, I bought the slim PSP today. There was a short but consistent (as in the line is constantly fed by people) for the PSP. Probably about 12 people at a time at the Shinjuku Yodobashi Camera near the Keio Plaza Hotel. Didn't notice CC moving with every unit myself, but they had plenty of stock of both CC and the PSP.

Brofist

cvxfreak said:
By the way, I bought the slim PSP today. There was a short but consistent (as in the line is constantly fed by people) for the PSP. Probably about 12 people at a time at the Shinjuku Yodobashi Camera near the Keio Plaza Hotel. Didn't notice CC moving with every unit myself, but they had plenty of stock of both CC and the PSP.

Which color did you get? Did you happen to see the blue one, think about getting that one.

Brofist

Stop It said:
You're not Cheesemeister....

Anyway, SE release one of their biggest games of the year for PSP, and Nintendo come back with a Pokemon side game and easily beat it in week one sales, Bravo Ninty, heh.

Sony is having enough problem planning for the year, let alone trying to pinpoint anticipate a shitty Wii selling week :D

Iwata : Ready the Black Wii Shipments.....Quick

Reminds me of the DS, came out strong, slowed right down....... Easter came and WHAM!!!

This time though i think we're gonna get a 2yr thanksgiving. Mario hits around Thanksgiving....and then there's no turning back once Smash hits

AniHawk

DefectiveReject said:
Iwata : Ready the Black Wii Shipments.....Quick

Reminds me of the DS, came out strong, slowed right down....... Easter came and WHAM!!!

This time though i think we're gonna get a 2yr thanksgiving. Mario hits around Thanksgiving....and then there's no turning back once Smash hits

Well, Wii Fit should really be the one that destroys all life as we know it. Smash will do well. I doubt Mario's selling power in the third dimension these days.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
AniHawk said:
Well, Wii Fit should really be the one that destroys all life as we know it. Smash will do well. I doubt Mario's selling power in the third dimension these days.

I dunno, Galaxy is really REALLY hyped!

If it werent for Smash coming out right after it at least... no one even talks about anything but Smash and I am all "Bwii is gonna be awesome" and am told to shut up...

DAMNIT ITS TWO MONTHS APART! PEOPLE START THE BWII HYPE TRAIN! :lol

AniHawk said:

PLease this is a GAMING FORUM!!!

The Non-Gaming Forum hasn't yet been created.

And Galaxy will restore the faith in the Mario 3D series and might get it to the 4th Dimension before the PS3 does.

lsslave said:
I dunno, Galaxy is really REALLY hyped!

If it werent for Smash coming out right after it at least... no one even talks about anything but Smash and I am all "Bwii is gonna be awesome" and am told to shut up...

DAMNIT ITS TWO MONTHS APART! PEOPLE START THE BWII HYPE TRAIN! :lol

Yeah i don't get this.
Are Nintendo hoping Smash beats out Galaxy? Why no hype now for Galaxy. Its like 6 weeks away.

VultureDude said:
although, we can't forget that WiiFit has massive preorder, and that the Mario brand is stronger than ever as a system seller (and that Brawl will bring many hardercore gamers back, and inthe process, they'll need to purchase a Wii)

that being said, all of thos games are at least 4 painful weeks away from release for Nintendo.

The Wii is fine for the rest of the year, don't get me wrong, because of the holiday coming up. But if this is 20k~ trend is a sign that this is what Wii could be settling at after the holidays. That could be a worrying sign for Nintendo. It basically will mean next-gen is a complete flop and the DS will reign all. Nintendo needs the japanese developer support for the Wii if they want to really win world-wide.

Kenka said:
Hum...the real battle :

FF VI DS against FF VIII PSP

C'mon, do it Square.

That's not a bad idea, will really show who's got the FF fanbase on lock. Come to think of it, two new KH spin off games for the DS and PSP. Damn SE been reading GAF!

Lobster

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Yeah i don't get this.
Are Nintendo hoping Smash beats out Galaxy? Why no hype now for Galaxy. Its like 6 weeks away.

Nintendo are murdering every other game with SSBB because of the weekday updates. It really is an awesome tactic.

Can we now officially pronounce the PSP "dead" after the release of FF:CC ?I mean are there any big releases for the PSP anymore ?

Brofist

Knastluder said:
Can we now officially pronounce the PSP "dead" after the release of FF:CC ?I mean are there any big releases for the PSP anymore ?

ffs, they even just announced a new KH game for it today. There are plenty games left for it.

Lobster

Banned
Knastluder said:

Yeah for a while PSP has no other big games.

kpop100 said:
ffs, they even just announced a new KH game for it today. There are plenty games left for it.

I think he meant releasing soon. Theres no doubt PSP got high profile games but they're not right after each other.

kpop100 said:

Herrje,calm down you are easily offended .Yes, I meant a big game anytime soon as Lobster has mentioned before.However,the PSP sales are pretty stable even if no games are released, aproximately between 25-32 each week .

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lobster said:
Cmon Nintendo..pick up your Wii act in Japan. This isn't funny anymore :( 40k was alright but this is going too far :(

It's strange, I was expecting Wii to lose steam in the UK before Japan, (With the US somewhere in the middle), but by some evil fluke, the release of SPM, Big Brain Academy, and now MySims have kept Wii flying off the shelves in the UK, and in the US...well, 400k for 2 months straight, and will have another good month thanks to Metroid, scary.

I don't think Nintendo are worried about their Japanese sales just yet, they know the slack that is left from this lull will be more than picked up by the holiday season Megatons, but still, I didn't expect to see this situation, at all.

underfooter said:
Did Endless Ocean bomba or what?
It's been in the charts the last few weeks, ever since they got rid of that bug. Of course it doesn't roam around in the top10 so we don't have any numbers besides opening week.

Frillen

It's actually quite funny to think about. It doesn't matter if the Wii doesn't sell out at the moment, 'cause the Wiis that you find on store shelves right now in Japan, are going to get eaten alive when Galaxy, Smash and Wii-Fit arrives. The result will be that the Wii will again be supply constrained by the end of the year.

ksamedi

Crisis Core sales are dissapointing, i would have expected better. I also think that the DS needs a price cut these days, its losing momentum.

Top Bottom